Tangiers Birquq

Oh I'll definitely try it - not a fan of supersweet flavors so just waiting to see what's released on down the line!

Tangiers Birquq (pronounce ber kuek... Like bourbon cucumber) is supposed to means light orange.

Generally the flavors released thus far have less undertones of tobacco and you may notice a different character in flavor profile. You will most likely notice that you bowl will require less heat.

I would rather hear what you guys have experienced so far. What do you think of the flavors (in comparison to Noir and Lucid general character of flavor and specifically between the previously produced flavors in each line). What are you noticing about acclimation? Is it more humidity sensitive? Less perhaps? No change? How different is your heat management and the amount of coals you are using per session?

Personally, I have been using the instant acclimation method on every pack in each line and have not had to run 4/20 on anything at all.

So far I have experimented with the new line in the new Tangiers Pico bowl and the FSB.

With the Pico (too cute!) I used 2 CH coals set up stonehenge-style on either side of the bowl. Since I was using my Goza, I had a foil cap on the bowl which tends to concentrate the heat. About 20 minutes into the bowl, I noticed the subtle signs of over heating and removed one coal. The bowl cooled down so I replaced the coal (which was smaller now) and smoked the rest with no problems. In the KM with no foil cap, 2 CH SH-style worked without signs of burning.

In the FSB (both with and without foil cap), I started with 3 CH nats placed in a triangle pattern with corners pointing in toward the spire. After 20 minutes I again noticed the signs of overheating, removed a coal, and the replaced it as the coals grew smaller and the bowl required more heat.

It seems the first subtle signs of overheating are different compared to what I have experienced with Noir and Lucid (I have burned my share of bowls in the past... And then some). It seems to me that it is easier to "rescue" an bowl that might have exhibited signs of overheating. That could just be me and/or the way things were smoking this weekend.

Flavors- a short review:
Foreplay on the Peach- ah yes, the peach comes through quite well. And what are those other flavors? My neighbor says Watermelon, though I have heard Cantaloupe being batting around... But thats not all.

Now with Melon- definitely different than the Melon Blend, not quite along the same lines as Cactus Fruit (which I always thought tasted kinda melon-y)... Its very fresh tasting, not overly sweet but complex in its own right.

Kashmir Peach- one of my personal favorites. Without the heaviness of Noir and leaves an authentic Kashmir bouquet coupled with the complimentary support of the fresh juicy peach we know from other peach blends.

Boysenberry- tastes like boysenberries....

ILTOBC2- think ILTOBC with tart sweet cherry thrown in there over top. But are the other flavors still present? Is it merely ILTOBC with some cherry? I think it has something new... Something underneath that has changed it's profile slightly. This one is going to take a few tries and a little more concentration to figure out.

So to sum up, don't be scared of the heat requirement. If you already know how to pack your bowls and manage your heat on the other lines, you won't find this too difficult. But you don't have to take my word for it...

Wait... Isn't that last sentence from Reading Rainbow???

*Comments in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Tangiers Tobacco*

Also I have found no need or benefit at all to split coals. Though im not opposed to trying it if someone claims it to be a better method that SH-style.

*Comments in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Tangiers Tobacco*

Also, the early feedback reports are that some people when drinking beer or other alcohol and smoking Birquq are noting that there is a marked flavor drop-off from the interaction with the alcohol.

Knew I should have tested this stuff while I was drunk!

[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1332890622' post='543519']
So is it just the super mini that is going to retail or is both super mini and mini going to retail now? And when should we expect it/them?
[/quote]

According to what Eric has mentioned, the pico bowl (otherwise known as "Super mini") will be going to retail. He has not mentioned anything about the minis.

I think the size difference between a pico to a mini and a mini to a small will be too close to reintroduce the mini also. Eric said the smalls will be going back to the smaller size that they were in the glory days of smaller smalls.

[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1332910600' post='543553']
[quote name='claytronmeans' timestamp='1332897598' post='543540']
New smalls will be ordered along with the pico then.
[/quote]
I second this :D
[/quote]

Thirdedededed.

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1333029544' post='543655']
The Now with Melon is very close to the old Melon Blend.
[/quote]
Better? Worse? Or just slightly different but still great? Melon blend is my absolute favorite. Edited by DrSmokes

[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1333052863' post='543684']
The Now with Melon is very close to the old Melon Blend.
[/quote]
Better? Worse? Or just slightly different but still great? Melon blend is my absolute favorite.
[/quote]

Different but still great! I wouldn't care which one got put in my bowl.

crap i just realized foreplay on the peach is out, i thought it was in the samples only! damnit thats the flavor ive be dying to try. Well i hope its there in a few months when i plan to order again

The k-peach was astounding. The Now with Melon is very close to the old Melon Blend. I am liking this stuff a lot.
[/quote]
I'm not sure I share the same sentiment regarding K-Peach. K-Peach is probably the only flavor in which I prefer the Noir line. The tobacco-y tones and the slight nicotine bite just go well with K-Peach.

However, what's truly impressive with Birquq flavorwise is that it the flavor is absolutely clean. I couldn't detect any tobacco undertones, no muddling, nothing. It was just K-Peach. Even Lucid isn't this clean.

Note: This opinion was formed only after 3 sessions. 2 standard and 1 necrobowl. Yes, I smoked a necrobowl just for you guys....ick. Edited by Arcane
  • Upvote 1