Tangiers Birquq

[quote name='Coyote' timestamp='1334237267' post='544699']
I'm sure many of you already know that the 2nd set of New Line Birquq flavors should be out by the end of the week. This new set includes a variety of brand new flavors.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]702 Little Purple Candy[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]708 Rangoon Sunrise[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]709 Soursop- Guanabana fruit also goes by the name Soursop. This flavor in the Birquq line is stronger and more vibrant than its counterpart in the other lines. [/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]710 White Summer Mixed Fruit- Watermelon/Guava with different proportions to enhance the compatibility with Birquq[/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]711 Ololiuqui- Described by Eric as a rootbeer/cola'esque type of flavor.[/font][/color]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Personally, I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys think about these new flavors! They are more complex in the new line than the flavor descriptions would lead you to believe. I'm wonder if you guys will be able to pinpoint some of these flavors :) [/color][/font]
[/quote]
What's the description for the top 2?

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='r1v3th3ad' timestamp='1335561562' post='546138']
I just ordered LPC RS and Ololuqui, even though I have too much shisha ATM...I wanted the 7ico
[/quote]

I'm wondering how much this bowl will eventually be worth lol

• 4 weeks later...
So now that Birquq has been out for a bit I am interested in everyone's thoughts.

I have mostly positive feelings about the new line and am looking forward to trying new flavors.

The heat sensitivity, which I thought was going to be an issue is actually pretty easily adjusted to. I had assumed there was going to be a very narrow window like some other tangiers flavors, but have found that not to be the case. Simply it requires even less heat.

Overall I have found the flavors to be slightly dryer than what I am used to, which could have something to do with the heat sensitivity.

Packing seems to be no different, although the little trailers down the bowl are greatly reduced.

My really only complaint is that the line relies so heavily on really sweet candy flavors. While they can be good, I would prefer a few floral, semi floral, or at least non-sweet flavors as well.

Also I have noticed Eric is moving to less traditional direct names, not sure if this is a new marketing deal or what.

Acclimation has never been an issue so I cant comment on that.

Favorite flavors?
Dislikes about the new line?
Issues along the way?
Birquq a good direction for tangiers?

My biggest "issue" (in quotes because it's not a pet-peeve kind of issue) is that Eric is kind of the gourmand of tobacco artists. All his flavors are very complex with lots of hints and overtones. They're wonderful, don't get me wrong, but there are times you just want an "in your face" clear single flavor. And Birquq is so easy to smoke it's really the perfect tobacco in my opinion. It seems like the formulation makes it an idea candidate for single flavors without hints and undertones and if they were offered I'd probably never buy anything else. Hell, I'd consider sexual favors for an Marachino Cherry Birquq. Well, I would have before he got married anyway!

Seriously.... The complexity of his flavors is both it's greatest attribute and greatest liability because people are always going to want the clear single flavors. And there are plenty of times I'm reaching for AF instead of any of the Tangiers lines because of it.

'Rani
  • Upvote 1

Good point 'Rani, and I do agree. Sometimes it would just be nice to have a few more straightforward flavors that are always consistent, and the Birquq line would totally suit that. However, I like me some complex too, so it goes both ways.

I am still finding the heat management to sometimes be an issue, as it seems I'm putting the windcover on, and then very quickly taking it off, whereas with the other lines it's pretty forgiving and if I forget to take the cover off, it takes time and I can feel it coming when it's starting to get scorched. With Birquq, it seems like one minute it's fine and the next it's kaput. It's not a big deal when I'm paying attention to what I'm doing, but if I'm playing a game and not really thinking about it, I might end up with a bad bowl very quickly. So, as of late, I've been smoking other lines just so I don't have to worry about that while I'm gaming. With Coconaras or Razans or some other equivalent, what are you guys using on a Tangiers Small bowl? I've been doing two cubes stonehenged, windcover for a few min, then no windcover and it seems to be okay, but after getting so used to 3 CCN's stonedhenged for the other lines, it's a weird change.

I don't mind that the flavors have atypical, non-direct names, I just wish he picked names that were easy for english speaking people to remember and figure out how to pronounce. Seriously though, every time a flavor comes out, is Katie going to have to come and tell us how to say it? I think I'm wrong, but I've been pronouncing "Ololuqui" as "oh? lol! you kwee?" because making it into a funny little sentence was the only way I could remember how to spell it or what it was called. Don't get me wrong, I love rootbeer, but that name is terrible.

Anyways, overall, I think Birquq is good. I wish it wasn't that little bit more heat sensitive, but it's not a deal breaker for me, and the immense flavors the line has more than make up for that "failing".

[quote name='aeon' timestamp='1337704100' post='547750']
Good point 'Rani, and I do agree. Sometimes it would just be nice to have a few more straightforward flavors that are always consistent, and the Birquq line would totally suit that. However, I like me some complex too, so it goes both ways.

I am still finding the heat management to sometimes be an issue, as it seems I'm putting the windcover on, and then very quickly taking it off, whereas with the other lines it's pretty forgiving and if I forget to take the cover off, it takes time and I can feel it coming when it's starting to get scorched. With Birquq, it seems like one minute it's fine and the next it's kaput. It's not a big deal when I'm paying attention to what I'm doing, but if I'm playing a game and not really thinking about it, I might end up with a bad bowl very quickly. So, as of late, I've been smoking other lines just so I don't have to worry about that while I'm gaming. With Coconaras or Razans or some other equivalent, what are you guys using on a Tangiers Small bowl? I've been doing two cubes stonehenged, windcover for a few min, then no windcover and it seems to be okay, but after getting so used to 3 CCN's stonedhenged for the other lines, it's a weird change.

I don't mind that the flavors have atypical, non-direct names, I just wish he picked names that were easy for english speaking people to remember and figure out how to pronounce. Seriously though, every time a flavor comes out, is Katie going to have to come and tell us how to say it? I think I'm wrong, but I've been pronouncing "Ololuqui" as "oh? lol! you kwee?" because making it into a funny little sentence was the only way I could remember how to spell it or what it was called. Don't get me wrong, I love rootbeer, but that name is terrible.

Anyways, overall, I think Birquq is good. I wish it wasn't that little bit more heat sensitive, but it's not a deal breaker for me, and the immense flavors the line has more than make up for that "failing".
[/quote]

Eric has always claimed cocos burn too hot for Tangiers. He uses either Fumari or Golden Canary Japanese coals exclusively for this reason. I wasn't a believer and stuck with my CH coals for the longest time. But I finally gave them a try, and honestly they make all the difference. I never use anything else anymore. Could be your cocos are just burning too hot for any of the Tangiers lines, including Birquq.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1337705292' post='547751']

[/quote]

Eric has always claimed cocos burn too hot for Tangiers. He uses either Fumari or Golden Canary Japanese coals exclusively for this reason. I wasn't a believer and stuck with my CH coals for the longest time. But I finally gave them a try, and honestly they make all the difference. I never use anything else anymore. Could be your cocos are just burning too hot for any of the Tangiers lines, including Birquq.

'Rani
[/quote]

Well, I wouldn't doubt that, but I never have problems with the other lines, just with Birquq (I did occasionally until I learned to stonehenge). I think that Tangiers lines all just happen to fall within a weird temperature range for heat management. For me, two coals wasn't hot enough, and three coals was too hot. So, naturally, 3 on their sides did the trick for me. I think I have some Fumari coals I got in a sample pack, may have to try them out. How many should I use on a small phunnel?

[quote name='aeon' timestamp='1337706033' post='547752']

Well, I wouldn't doubt that, but I never have problems with the other lines, just with Birquq (I did occasionally until I learned to stonehenge). I think that Tangiers lines all just happen to fall within a weird temperature range for heat management. For me, two coals wasn't hot enough, and three coals was too hot. So, naturally, 3 on their sides did the trick for me. I think I have some Fumari coals I got in a sample pack, may have to try them out. How many should I use on a small phunnel?
[/quote]

I use a brick of four broken in half, one half on each side of the phunnel. Last night I was smoking AF out of a Turkish bowl and one two-brick piece lying flat across the middle worked perfectly. And I have to say, I LOVE the way Japanese coals light on a coil burner. Faster than any gas stove I've ever tried. Tonight Birquq is on the menu, though I haven't decided which flavor yet. (I have them all.....) Now if there was only that Marachino Cherry availability.........

'Rani

[quote name='aeon' timestamp='1337706033' post='547752']
[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1337705292' post='547751']

[/quote]

'Rani
[/quote]

[/quote]

How do you stonehenge a cube?

I was never really all that happy with GCs, it just was not really worth the price. You should try half coals; on my small I use three halves (flats) on their smallest side.

Has anyone tried little purple candy? For some reason it tastes like a cleaning agent, not sure if I can smoke another bowl.

Okay, I'll try that tonight! The only downside of japanese coals for me is that they apparently don't last that long, which is a bit of a bummer as I would have to buy a whole bunch of them just to make it through the month.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1337706887' post='547754']

How do you stonehenge a cube?

I was never really all that happy with GCs, it just was not really worth the price. You should try half coals; on my small I use three halves (flats) on their smallest side.

Has anyone tried little purple candy? For some reason it tastes like a cleaning agent, not sure if I can smoke another bowl.
[/quote]

I wrote cube, I meant flat. My bad. Hahah.

I just ordered some purple candy, so I'll let you know if I think it tastes like a cleaning product once I get it.