Beer Snobs Unite

kmccoy90

I don't have enough money to be considered a beer snob, but I am a snob in general. I don't think I can remember anyone else that liked Shock Top yet, but it's tasty. 90 Shilling is one of my personal favorites.

Oh, and Steel Reserve, YUUUUUUUM. :bad:

When I work in NYC, there is a place in Penn Station with 24 taps. I usually get a BluePoint (Long Island) Toasted Lager. If they're out of that, a GooseNeck (Chicago) Amber. Final choice is Landshark (FL) Lager.

If you're within 3 hours of Harrisburg, Troegs brewing. They put out a Christmas Beer that is amazing. Troegs Mad Elf. Now is when we put in the order at the local beer distributor for two sixtals of Mad Elf for the holidays.

I also need to put in an order for Abita Brewing (New Orleans) Bock, their Mardi Gras Beer.

Right now, we have on tap Anchor Summer Ale.

Beer Snob? You can say that.

[quote name='atalanta' timestamp='1315359298' post='522815']
When I work in NYC, there is a place in Penn Station with 24 taps. I usually get a BluePoint (Long Island) Toasted Lager. If they're out of that, a GooseNeck (Chicago) Amber. Final choice is Landshark (FL) Lager.

If you're within 3 hours of Harrisburg, Troegs brewing. They put out a Christmas Beer that is amazing. Troegs Mad Elf. Now is when we put in the order at the local beer distributor for two sixtals of Mad Elf for the holidays.

[b]I also need to put in an order for Abita Brewing (New Orleans) Bock, their Mardi Gras Beer.[/b]

Right now, we have on tap Anchor Summer Ale.

Beer Snob? You can say that.
[/quote]

Lol, the beverage mart next door to my house sells Abita root beer. I bought one and man was it funky tasting.

I'd like to recommend Tommy Knocker: Maple Nut Ale, or Imperial. If you like an interesting flavor combo, nutty, sweet, and Amber (whether in girls or in beer), it's pretty yum.

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1315348990' post='522794']
[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1315347519' post='522783']
it's actually called Levitation Ale (no black). Stone Brewery is good.

Although, I admit it...if it wasn't from San Diego county, I wouldn't as highly of it. :)
[/quote]

Whoops, my bad. Guess I couldn't correctly remember the name, haha. Either way, this is the stuff for those interested:

[url="http://www.stonebrew.com/levitation/"]http://www.stonebrew.com/levitation/[/url]

And here's the 1554:

[url="http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/detail.aspx?id=5ac72c92-fd87-4ec7-858d-3380c8d465d8"]http://www.newbelgiu...8d-3380c8d465d8[/url]

I guess I got black from the 1554's black ale description or something, lol. Really I barely looked at both packages/bottles after I drank the Levitation yesterday. I'm hella anxious to try the 1554 tonight. I'll report in my thoughts.

[/quote]
I recommend drinking the 1554 with a heavy meal like a pasta or steak dinner. It will have a lighter feel for how dark the beer is.

Hey Ntur hate to burst your bubble but Pilsner Uruquell is merely imported by miller they are in no part owned by miller.

on another note by far one of the best beers I have had is Kostrizter which is a German Schwartz bier. On the American beer front I am kind of tied on Breckenridge breweries Oatmeal stout and Lucky Bucket Certified Evil.

I am still trying to find Lost Abbey's Judgment Day ale, this is a Chicago based brewing company and Judgement day ale is a 10.5%ABV belgian style dark ale.

One thing that really annoys me is alot of people that I try to talk to about "craft" beers always revert to oh Sam Adam's this Sam Adam's that. IMHO Sam Adam's is crap compared to the small breweries that you can find in your state. Personally I love traveling and taking in the local food scene and beers. if any of you ever stop in Omaha Neb. look up Upstream Brewing and if you are in Lincoln Neb. check out Empyrean (can be found at Lazlo's and Firework's both local eateries).

[quote name='cotsi95' timestamp='1315427161' post='522930']
[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1315348990' post='522794']
[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1315347519' post='522783']
it's actually called Levitation Ale (no black). Stone Brewery is good.

Although, I admit it...if it wasn't from San Diego county, I wouldn't as highly of it. :)
[/quote]

Whoops, my bad. Guess I couldn't correctly remember the name, haha. Either way, this is the stuff for those interested:

[url="http://www.stonebrew.com/levitation/"]http://www.stonebrew.com/levitation/[/url]

And here's the 1554:

[url="http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/detail.aspx?id=5ac72c92-fd87-4ec7-858d-3380c8d465d8"]http://www.newbelgiu...8d-3380c8d465d8[/url]

I guess I got black from the 1554's black ale description or something, lol. Really I barely looked at both packages/bottles after I drank the Levitation yesterday. I'm hella anxious to try the 1554 tonight. I'll report in my thoughts.

[/quote]
I recommend drinking the 1554 with a heavy meal like a pasta or steak dinner. It will have a lighter feel for how dark the beer is.
[/quote]
[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1315448228' post='522970']
I recommend drinking it by itself. Embrace the dark.
[/quote]

I drank it last night. Really good. I love it. Drank it with spaghetti, actually. But I will drink it by itself and embrace the dark, too. :lol:

When I travel I try to hit brew pubs and bring back a growler. The furthest was from Anchorage (back in the dark ages when you could still take beer in your carry on).

Bethlehem brewing has this AMAZING honey beer - bier de pharoh - it's about US$60 for a growler but it's so worth it. I would LOVE to be able to brew that one.

Sometimes, when I know I'm going to be hitting a brewpub, I'll contact a manager or brew master and see about doing a trade of a growler bottle for a growler bottle. We have amassed quite the growler collection.

I'm still pretty mainstream I'm afraid; I love my Guinness. I have to admit, what's in the US is total crap compared to getting it in Ireland, though. I spent half the day at the Guinness factory in Dublin.

• 3 years later...

This post has been dead for a while but I've been drinking a lot lately cause I can actually afford to for once. I get way too much beer though but I love it so. I love love love belgian beers but I've been sticking to mainly craft and local brews. Charlitte, NC has a surprisingly good beer scene and I've basically fallen in love with oregon's #1 brewer Rogue Ales. I now have a corner.of my room in which I store.my favorite cool beer bottles so I can do some sort of creative shit with them. But yeah when I get off work tomorrow at 5:30am I think I'm going to try the Mead I got from Rogue Ales. 

I've cut back on my drinking as well... but only because now I have to buy diapers. :lol:

​Wray and Nephew White Overproof Rum by the handle. Way more cost effective than beer!

I pickup about a dozen 750ml bottles of various craft brews about once every 3 weeks and I just enjoy one every now and then. After several years, I'm still really enjoying Tin Whistle's Peach Cream Ale. There are not enough quality cream ale's on the market for my tastes. I've also been on somewhat of a white/blonde kick the past few months.

I've cut back on my drinking as well... but only because now I have to buy diapers. :lol:

​Wray and Nephew White Overproof Rum by the handle. Way more cost effective than beer!

I'll have to keep that in mind...

This post has been dead for a while but I've been drinking a lot lately cause I can actually afford to for once. I get way too much beer though but I love it so. I love love love belgian beers but I've been sticking to mainly craft and local brews. Charlitte, NC has a surprisingly good beer scene and I've basically fallen in love with oregon's #1 brewer Rogue Ales. I now have a corner.of my room in which I store.my favorite cool beer bottles so I can do some sort of creative shit with them. But yeah when I get off work tomorrow at 5:30am I think I'm going to try the Mead I got from Rogue Ales. 

​i dig Rouge ales, my favorite beer is their hazelnut brown. but i also liked their voodoo and dead guy ale.

• 1 month later...

I tried this one from a local brewery back home in San diego, ballast point, called the habanero sculpin and I must say this is so Damn good. It's also got a real kick from those habaneros it's crazy. Really good though like most ballast point brews