What You Wish You Knew About Hookah.

Hey All,

I'm Patrick and I just signed up for a HF account. Seems like a real cool, supportive group of people here, all eager to share knowledge about a topic that has brought us all together. I would love to get to know all of you, and maybe one day be looked upon as a top tier hookah aficionado. [i]Add me as a friend - let's spread the love.[/i]

I have smoked hookah probably close to 7 years now - but I have never really immersed myself in it. I knew nothing of the culture, all of the exotic equipment & shishas, or techniques to make my experience better. Yeah, I knew to put ice cubes in the vase and mix flavors - I'm talking about the stuff that only comes from veteran experience.

With that being said, consider me a beginner who [i]has[/i] smoked hookah before but hasn't appreciated the finer things - someone who wants to hone in on the very essence of everything that is hookah. Throw away the tips you can read on any google search - give me something profound.

So tell me hookah mavens - [u]What [b]one[/b] thing do you wish you knew about hookah when you were starting out?[/u]

Welcome to the forum! You'll love it here.

I learned a lot of things the hard way (read: through experience). I wish I had been given a run down of the basics: packing technique, water level, heat management, etc. To save others from the troubles I had, I try to give them a quick 2-minute run through when they express interest in buying a hookah.

Profound, you say? [b]That no single nation, culture or even continent can truly claim ownership of the delicate art of hookah and thus there is beauty and delight to be found in both tradition and contemporary innovation from all around the world[/b].

Being accustomed to an Egyptian setup, I've had fun cherry-picking the best of the German market (which has led me to Saphire bowls and pre-cut foils), then the best of the US market (Crown bowls, Tangiers), and now I'm slowly following up the various interesting things I've heard about. The discovery is half the fun.

For me it's about consumables; I have decent pipes, bowls and hoses, but I live in the United Kingdom where it's a struggle to get anything other than Nakhla or AF locally, plus the usual Middle Eastern coals. So, what's keeping me interested is a selection of Tunisian and American shisha, with the prospect of some Desi Murli from India on order at present. Then I've got my eye on some Elmas from Turkey.

However, the recommendation is not for any particular product, manufacturer, or technique, but for the joy of watching incomprehensible German reviews of a completely different approach to bowl design, packing and heat management, and then seeing whether it works. Or for buying on spec three Indian black tobaccos, not for the faint-hearted. Or for randomly ordering up a couple of handmade glass bowls from 4,000 miles across the Atlantic after chatting with the artisan glass-blower (Santino from Crown Hookahs) right here on HF. Or for doing [i]anything but[/i] what you know.

Not to break the rule but...

1) Get a tangiers phunnel to begin, he/she/it will become your best friend
2) Not all shishas are made alike, find the finer shisha's and you will enjoy hookah forever
3) No, that silly hose that you got when you bought your hookah is NOT washable, replace that thing if you want to wash it!

[quote name='A13lackFish' timestamp='1318564913' post='527726']
Not to break the rule but...

1) Get a tangiers phunnel to begin, he/she/it will become your best friend
2) Not all shishas are made alike, find the finer shisha's and you will enjoy hookah forever
[b]3) No, that silly hose that you got when you bought your hookah is NOT washable, replace that thing if you want to wash it![/b]
[/quote]

id go with this, I Wish I knew little more about quality rigs and hoses, first one i bought rusted in 6months Edited by king_lunchb0x

Some excellent starting points for going from a fan to a pro:

1 - [b]Tangiers Small Phunnel bowl[/b] - No bowl collection is complete without it. Great for everything.
2 - [b]Natural hookah coal[/b] - You'll never want to use instant light coal after you taste the difference.
3 - [b]Washable hookah hose[/b] - Nammor, Narbish, and Razan are great brands. Big handle, very easy pull. Gets lots of smoke easier!
4 - [b]Excellent tobacco[/b] - Favorites here on HF are Tangiers, Nakhla, Al Fakher, and Romman. Smoking hookah is all about flavor!

These four things can turn any hookah into an ultimate smoking machine. You'll never bother with lounges again.

Thanks everyone. Pretty much the consensus is Tangiers and Phunnel bowls. ;)

bradleyclark86 - love your sig man. lol

[quote name='bradleyclark86' timestamp='1318557237' post='527715']
Welcome to the forum! You'll love it here.

I learned a lot of things the hard way (read: through experience). I wish I had been given a run down of the basics: packing technique, water level, heat management, etc. To save others from the troubles I had, I try to give them a quick 2-minute run through when they express interest in buying a hookah.
[/quote]
Basics such as actually using foil.. Yeah GG Brad.[right]Miss you buddy. :P[/right]

when i started smoking for the first time, i had no idea about anything just from what my friends told me and we figured out, but it all came in time. we only had tangiers and quicklights in our town. moved to LA and my life changed hookah wise. i wish i knew about tangiers and all they have to offer but i still smoke starbuzz and fusion when im out, there are some flavors and mixes we have that are extremely desirable just all on your opinion so just keep reading learning and smoking

Damn, that sounds scary. I'm pretty new in "deep knowledge" of smoking and it looks like I'm going to fail on all sides, since I use quicklights, I know nothing about heat managment except some "move the coal" tips. Well, at least I'll have vortex/funnel bowl

Are naturals really such a difference? I usually let my quickies off-the-pipe until they are fully fired up and I take them out of the room I smoke in because of smell. But otherwise, what's the difference? Temperature? Ash? Edited by Moki

[quote name='Moki' timestamp='1318857976' post='528004']
Damn, that sounds scary. I'm pretty new in "deep knowledge" of smoking and it looks like I'm going to fail on all sides, since I use quicklights, I know nothing about heat managment except some "move the coal" tips. Well, at least I'll have vortex/funnel bowl

[u][b]Are naturals really such a difference? I usually let my quickies off-the-pipe until they are fully fired up and I take them out of the room I smoke in because of smell. But otherwise, what's the difference? Temperature? Ash?[/b][/u]
[/quote]

For temperature and ash, it just depends on what materials the natural coals are made of. The biggest and most important differences are: natural coals taste better and last longer.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Still a newb myself, but I just learned not to trust the Mya Econo line. I have a standard Mya QT that has been pretty good though.[/font][/color][/quote]

Yeah I currently have a Mya Bambino and I think it is a great little hookah. I have since upgraded the hose and I guess I will be putting in an order for some Tangiers and a Phunnel bowl! :lol:

[quote name='xdeliriumx' timestamp='1318985028' post='528234']
[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]Still a newb myself, but I just learned not to trust the Mya Econo line. I have a standard Mya QT that has been pretty good though.[/font][/color][/quote]

Yeah I currently have a Mya Bambino and I think it is a great little hookah. I have since upgraded the hose and I guess I will be putting in an order for some Tangiers and a Phunnel bowl! :lol:
[/quote]

Depending on where you live in PA, it might be worth it to take a trip to patterson NJ if you want to stock up on cheap supplies.