Ok Gamers, Next Gen Discussion(Yes Console, Please Keep The Pc/console Trash Talk Out)

ChicagoRSX

Now I know what they mean with the whole one console that does it all thing but really, my main problem with that being what theyre marketing its the fact that in 2013 consoles are getting alt+tab. Thats literally all it is.

If alt+tab means they get better graphis for games, loaad apps quicker, run cable TV and have more power thann ever I totally agree... otherwise I'd have to disagree with you unfortunately...

I'm excited for the XBOX ONE. The name hints at its use as an all in one gaming system. Emphasis on ONE. It's really great for people who watch sports, use Netflix, play games, use Skype, and want a better online interactive experience than the PSN can ever offer. Not to mention the XBOX controller >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS controllers. Not for everyone I guess but its perfect for me

Xbox controllers will always be better for gaming and for more competitive gaming styles.

If alt+tab means they get better graphis for games, loaad apps quicker, run cable TV and have more power thann ever I totally agree... otherwise I'd have to disagree with you unfortunately...

yeah sure the hardware is better and many of the features are nice, but the wii-u had these same features that theyre advertising so heavily, and the wii-u is drowning in fail atm.

I hope the xbox 1 does good Im just saying that this possibility to switch between gaming to tv etc etc. on the spot without leaving your game and stuff is essentially alt+tab. The hardware is ofc. gonna be much better in the new gen consoles but as I said before Im a PC gamer and consoles cant really compete with pcs in hardware because they are in their nature not really upgradeable. So the updated hardware was a given the second they announced it. 
This ability to alt+tab though is what they were focusing a lot on in their presentation which makes no sense to me. What I wanna know is how many games are gonna be released exclusively for it in rapid succession. Cause all the other features theyre advertising are already out there in nintendos wii-u, so if the games arent there this will tank. I really hope the games are gonna be there though. I wanna see gaming do well!

I'm excited for the XBOX ONE. The name hints at its use as an all in one gaming system. Emphasis on ONE. It's really great for people who watch sports, use Netflix, play games, use Skype, and want a better online interactive experience than the PSN can ever offer. Not to mention the XBOX controller >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS controllers. Not for everyone I guess but its perfect for me

Xbox controllers will always be better for gaming and for more competitive gaming styles.

I have friends that would disagree with you. That is all a matter of personal opinion.

yeah sure the hardware is better and many of the features are nice, but the wii-u had these same features that theyre advertising so heavily, and the wii-u is drowning in fail atm.

I hope the xbox 1 does good Im just saying that this possibility to switch between gaming to tv etc etc. on the spot without leaving your game and stuff is essentially alt+tab. The hardware is ofc. gonna be much better in the new gen consoles but as I said before Im a PC gamer and consoles cant really compete with pcs in hardware because they are in their nature not really upgradeable. So the updated hardware was a given the second they announced it. 
This ability to alt+tab though is what they were focusing a lot on in their presentation which makes no sense to me. What I wanna know is how many games are gonna be released exclusively for it in rapid succession. Cause all the other features theyre advertising are already out there in nintendos wii-u, so if the games arent there this will tank. I really hope the games are gonna be there though. I wanna see gaming do well!

I understand what you're saying but I think what people are failing to understand is that this was a console unveiling not a games showcase. The game announcements will likely come at E3. I think the main purpose of this press conference was to unveil the system itself and show off what it can do. It may have been a little bit disappointing to hardcore gamers, but to the average user of the xbox I think it was a good press release. Xbox isn't just for gamers anymore and they're not being shy about it...

I hated the xbox controllers...love the PS3...

I'm pretty much a solo player of sports and single shooter games,watch blue rays, So for me PS3 was great,  Screw all that other crap , I want a gamers gaming console for the weekend gamer that will play blue rays.

I understand what you're saying but I think what people are failing to understand is that this was a console unveiling not a games showcase. The game announcements will likely come at E3. I think the main purpose of this press conference was to unveil the system itself and show off what it can do. It may have been a little bit disappointing to hardcore gamers, but to the average user of the xbox I think it was a good press release. Xbox isn't just for gamers anymore and they're not being shy about it...

I know what you mean, the thing is as a gamer having to pay 5$ a month to be able to use a console seems silly since youre buying games anyways, if you take away the (in my opinion) unnecessarily hyped side features, then you also have to pay a fee to play rental games/used games, the fact that games are locked to one console could also be an issue if your xbox breaks etc. Also aiming for lower end hardware rather than top of the line gaming hardware... I know theyre aiming for a wider audience but to me its losing its appeal, and many other people that want a gaming console might feel the same. I can see its uses still, it might be amazingly cool when it comes out but at the moment im not a huge fan.

I have friends that would disagree with you. That is all a matter of personal opinion.

Anyone that I've talked with that would put the ps controller over the xbox...never actually gave the xbox controller a try (a bit biased much?).  I was a playstation guy when I was younger, I hated the first version of the xbox controllers but when the came out with the "s" my preferences changed.  As I said, it's better for competitive gaming (sorry, I should have said FPS gaming...as the sticks have more resistance and are positioned better).  The current design fits the hands better for FPS games, the joysticks are better, and the buttons are smoother on the clicks.  But hey, what do I know...I only own one of the biggest gaming websites on the net (top 20k website in the world).

@ bawhee (because the quotes are getting a bit long)
I agree whole heartedly with the fees for used games and rental games. Hopefully they change that before the release. Unfortunately the only real hardware spec I've seen is the 8 GB of RAM up from 512 MB. I haven't seen any specs on CPU or GPU though.

I don't think theyre losing appeal to many, even among gamers. And the gamers I believe they are losing appeal to are the ones that try to use hardware specs of consoles to fuel their "PC gaming is superior to everything else" arguments anyways. Most people who play games are more concerned with which console they can play with their friends on and what's going to lag the least. With Microsoft going from 15k to 300k servers I think they're doing a great job of showing gamers they still care about them.

The PC "fanboys" are just that, fanboys. Though they are right that specs on a console are always gonna be beaten by PCs sooner or later, I said they were going lower end hardware based on something I read somewhere or maybe heard in an interview that they were not going full on hardware awesomeness to make it more affordable or something along those lines, which has its good sides but also many bad ones. Either way at the moment Im not a huge fan of the Xbox one but they still have time to impress.

For the sake of gaming culture I hope they succeed or if they fail miserably the PS4 is a magic box that gives you games and blowjobs :D

Yeah, it would have been nice to see something more impressive than 8 GB RAM. I wonder if their omission of other hardware specs was for a reason or if its just because they figured most people dont really care.

And you're right PCs will always have better hardware but the average person buying a console doesn't want to deal with making sure their system can run 120 FPS and Lara Croft's hair will blow in the wind lol.

The PC "fanboys" are just that, fanboys. Though they are right that specs on a console are always gonna be beaten by PCs sooner or later, I said they were going lower end hardware based on something I read somewhere or maybe heard in an interview that they were not going full on hardware awesomeness to make it more affordable or something along those lines, which has its good sides but also many bad ones. Either way at the moment Im not a huge fan of the Xbox one but they still have time to impress.

For the sake of gaming culture I hope they succeed or if they fail miserably the PS4 is a magic box that gives you games and blowjobs :D

Xbox 360 had better specs than PC's did at the time of release.  It took 2-3 years for PC's to catch up from what I saw from Nvidia.  This time, PC is 3x better than what is included in PS4 and XBOX ONE.  It's sad that they didn't go high end like they had with their prior release.  Already, the PC is set up to be better than the consoles.  I've been a console fan....well....my whole life...but right now seeing what is happening I'm thinking about going PC.  We'll see...seeing that my site is mainly Xbox...I'll probably just buy one to have it and write it off on the business (thank you Federal govt for paying 50% for my gaming unit lolololol).

Sure sounds like One is taking a lot of PR flack right now for the fact that game developers can require the system to be always on and it's sounds messy at best it's policy of used games. This is pretty much a huge opportunity for Sony to generate some big momentum. Several of my friends that own 360 are already ditching in favor of PS4. About 5-7 of my friends right now.

Also seems like the conspiracy crowd don't like the fact the kinnect has to be plug in for the system to work.

Funny thing to note, the web domain Xbox-One.com and XboxOne.com are both owned by individuals outside Microsoft, and were registered 2 years ago. You think they would have procured the site name before officially unveiling it.

I've been a console gamer my whole life. NES, Master System, Genesis, SNES, PS, N64, PS2, XBOX, Saturn, Dreamcast, XBOX360, Wii, PS3. I had all of those, and most of them I had right from launch. But, throughout all of that, I've also been a pc gamer. And you know what? For the first time in my life, I really don't give a shit about any of the new consoles. There is literally NO benefit to any of them over PC anymore. It used to be "well, I can't play splitscreen co-op games with my friends" that really stopped me. But, Steam now has that capability, and with it's amazing support for the XBOX360 controller for Windows, me and my friends can play locally on the HTPC I built for my living room. I can benefit from a massive amount of games, including tons of indie games, have controller support, be able to browse games easily with Steam Big Picture, and have the added benefit of better sound, better graphics, faster connection, and more durability/dependability/ease of replacing parts/upgrading. That's not even getting into being able to mod games (which Steam supports wholeheartedly), share screenshots, recommend games, gift games, a much better chat protocol, varying options for voice chat and no need to have what is essentially spyware and adware bloating the fuck out of my system. Fuck Microsoft. Fuck Sony. Fuck Nintendo. I know you said keep the PC/Console trash talk out of here, but the problem is that the line between pc and console doesn't exist anymore. Gaming consoles are just underpowered, dated, proprietary PC's that run a specific (and limited) OS and are filled with tons of bloat. This next-gen, I'm speaking with my wallet and saying "no thanks". I don't support mediocrity, I don't support 1984, and I sure as fuck don't support companies who do exactly the opposite of what it's core group of users asked for. Everyone is free to choose what they want, and support the products they like, and I have no doubt that the next gen consoles will survive, but as far as I'm concerned, consoles are dead.

• Upvote 3

I've been a console gamer my whole life. NES, Master System, Genesis, SNES, PS, N64, PS2, XBOX, Saturn, Dreamcast, XBOX360, Wii, PS3. I had all of those, and most of them I had right from launch. But, throughout all of that, I've also been a pc gamer. And you know what? For the first time in my life, I really don't give a shit about any of the new consoles. There is literally NO benefit to any of them over PC anymore. It used to be "well, I can't play splitscreen co-op games with my friends" that really stopped me. But, Steam now has that capability, and with it's amazing support for the XBOX360 controller for Windows, me and my friends can play locally on the HTPC I built for my living room. I can benefit from a massive amount of games, including tons of indie games, have controller support, be able to browse games easily with Steam Big Picture, and have the added benefit of better sound, better graphics, faster connection, and more durability/dependability/ease of replacing parts/upgrading. That's not even getting into being able to mod games (which Steam supports wholeheartedly), share screenshots, recommend games, gift games, a much better chat protocol, varying options for voice chat and no need to have what is essentially spyware and adware bloating the fuck out of my system. Fuck Microsoft. Fuck Sony. Fuck Nintendo. I know you said keep the PC/Console trash talk out of here, but the problem is that the line between pc and console doesn't exist anymore. Gaming consoles are just underpowered, dated, proprietary PC's that run a specific (and limited) OS and are filled with tons of bloat. This next-gen, I'm speaking with my wallet and saying "no thanks". I don't support mediocrity, I don't support 1984, and I sure as fuck don't support companies who do exactly the opposite of what it's core group of users asked for. Everyone is free to choose what they want, and support the products they like, and I have no doubt that the next gen consoles will survive, but as far as I'm concerned, consoles are dead.

Damn man... well said. +1 rep.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, Sony knocked it out of the park!  $399 for the system, no used game restrictions of any type, no online checks, Killzone looks insanely good, as did drive club. Can't wait for Destiny. I've got my pre-order.

Man, Sony knocked it out of the park!  $399 for the system, no used game restrictions of any type, no online checks, Killzone looks insanely good, as did drive club. Can't wait for Destiny. I've got my pre-order.

Yeah, they did. Unless Microsoft makes changes (on just about everything), Xbox One is gonna be D.O.A. They shot themselves in the foot. I don't see how anyone could possibly argue otherwise.

That said, I'll be picking up a PS4, but after the bugs are worked out, and hopefully at a lower price (although $399 ain't a bad price).

I've read a few things on both systems, I do prefer console over pc for the most part. IF the price point stays the way it is ps4 is what Im leaning towards. I havent had a sony system since ps1. I just liked xbox systems, but they have burned me several time. Ive gotten 3 red ring of death on 2 360's. The second I fixed myself and is still kickin. But I read a stat that said xbox 360 had a failure rate of 48-50% for the first few years.. Which just pisses me off.

On top of that, xbox doesnt allow you to buy used games or borrow (which is where I got most games) Is a bit unfair.

so maybe its time to get a sony system finally. I may still go xbox if they change somethings.....maybe.

I probably wont get either... probably... might get a ps4 due to lack of any subscriptions and shit, I dunno... the price is the same in euro as it is in US dollars. Fucking 399$ goes up to 399€, same for xbox, gay as shit.