Playstation 4 Reveal

Chreees

My thoughts are:

Infamous: Second Son looks amazing, Destiny looks like a FPS I might actually WANT to play, and the system itself should be quite impressive. People are bitching about the DualShock 4 controller, but I like how it's still the classic PS controller design, just with added touchscreen functions in the middle.

I do feel that we haven't really seen enough technological advances to really warrant the next gen consoles to come out just yet, however. The PS3 hasn't even been pushed to its full potential and they're already coming out with a new system. Just seems unnecessary to me. Not to mention the fact that they're JUST NOW starting to see a profit from the PS3.

yeah I hope they keep making games for the ps3 and that it comes down in price. the ps3 is more then enuff gaming capable for my needs, and its good for blu ray movies.

although if the new system is THAT much better I may just have to get one, I currently don't have any system or TV for that matter. but will be looking before to long

I agree, and forgot to mention Watch Dogs. Game is gonna be awesome!

As for those looking forward to the Xbox 720... At least it will finally have Blu-Ray. :)

Seriously though, this is Microsoft's chance to take a look at what Sony is doing and one-up them, much like Sony did with the PS3 (PS3 released much later than the 360 did, if you will recall). I have a feeling though that when both are released, the PS4 will still be a more powerful system.

The PS4 will be cool.  I just hope Sony fixes the way the memory is accessed so there aren't any problems like they had with the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games.  That being said, those problems already inspired me to get an Alienware and become a PC gamer, so I doubt I'll be too interested in buying the PS4, unless they can fix the Final Fantasy series.

The PS4 will be cool.  I just hope Sony fixes the way the memory is accessed so there aren't any problems like they had with the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games.  That being said, those problems already inspired me to get an Alienware and become a PC gamer, so I doubt I'll be too interested in buying the PS4, unless they can fix the Final Fantasy series.

That's one of the major advancements they touted during the reveal- the way memory is used and whatnot. No longer will you have to download or update and just sit there with your dick in your hand. On the PS4 it'll do all that in the background and you can just play. Something the PS3 should have had, IMO. But hey, nothing's perfect, and they always have to have room for improvement next time I suppose.

• Upvote 1

That's one of the major advancements they touted during the reveal- the way memory is used and whatnot. No longer will you have to download or update and just sit there with your dick in your hand. On the PS4 it'll do all that in the background and you can just play. Something the PS3 should have had, IMO. But hey, nothing's perfect, and they always have to have room for improvement next time I suppose.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to admit, this has me excited and interested. Haven't felt this interested in video games since the PS2 was released. I've already put down pre-orders on 2 systems. Killzone is one of my favorite franchises.

Personally I am an xbox guy , I found PS3 to try and push the envelope with technology on the ps3 and most of it couldn't even be used. Most interviews with programmers stated it sucked programming for the ps3 because of the new "cell" cpu technology it utilized was so confusing it wasn't worth the man hours. Plus xbox live kicks the shit out of playstation's online system. But playstation has blue ray, and didn't have the ring of death issue. It all depends on what you as a gamer look for in a system but for me, it is xbox. Shooters run much smoother on xbox and the controller is perfect for shooters

You can find reasons why playstation is better, and reasons why xbox is better. I am excited to see the new systems coming out as well, but agree it is premature for ps to release a system.

But I do feel the more powerful system isn't always the best system.

Also, it seems as though playstation is trying to do what xbox did in the last release ... release the console early and try to get a bunch of people to buy the playstation before the xbox releases.

aight so now that I got power and stable access to the internets back for good, despite being a PC guy, I quite like the current info on the PS4, though I prolly ownt be able to buy one it seems like its gonna have some decent enough power in it and some pretty nice features, as far as I understand your account is gonna work kinda like a steam account would right? Also, the fuck is up with the touchpad in the controller, Wii-U has them beat hands down there.

That's not what I meant. PS3 had a split memory pool. Half of it allocated for graphics and half for processing. Games like skyrim sucked for the ps3 because of the sheer size of the game. The various dead bodies and chests bogged down that memory allocation and lagged the hell of the game.

That's not what I meant. PS3 had a split memory pool. Half of it allocated for graphics and half for processing. Games like skyrim sucked for the ps3 because of the sheer size of the game. The various dead bodies and chests bogged down that memory allocation and lagged the hell of the game.

Ohhhh. My bad. I dunno if that is improved or not on the PS4. Hopefully it is.

My understanding is that the PS4 will have an APU, combining an 8 core x-86 CPU and Radeon GPU under one chip.  The processes for each have at their disposal 8 GB of GDDR5, which really is video card memory and screaming fast.  Having the DDR5 available to system and GPU processes means the unit can be put into a low power "sleep" state which should eliminate boot-up times.  Should be instant on.  The CPU and GPU will share the 8 GBs and it will be up to the developer on how they want to allocate the memory.  In comparison the PS3 has 256MB of XDR DRAM, which is similar to the slowest DDR2 RAM.

There will also be a separate CPU that controls all the background processing from system and game updates, uploading videos and screenshots, chat processes -- basically anything that isn't related to the input and output of the game you are playing.  And interesting feature of this background CPU is that is remains in a stand-by state even while your system is sleeping.  If a system or game update is pushed, the background CPU will retrieve and install that update regardless of the power state of the PS4.  You and the PS4 could be sleeping and it will handle updates.  

My thoughts? I don't know if I'll be getting this or not. A higher percentage from what I think, I'll be buying this -_-, growing up with a controller in hand, that's probably one of my reasons. Though no console can beat the performance and graphics of a PC. What I don't like about PS4 is it is still not backwards compatible, come one Sony not one of your money-grabbing schemes again ._. Seriously.

The PS4 is really appealing in the fact I've always liked how some games look on PC, but I have zero desire to buy/build a gaming pc. I also don't like to use keyboards/mouse for gaming either. I've used emulators for NES/Super Nes games, but just doesn't feel right compared to a controller. That being said I've always had console games. So that fact it's about as powerful as a low to midlevel pc, that's great by me. Works great out the box, and I don't have to worry about needing to upgrade my hardware/components.