What Are You Reading?

Stuie

Just finished up The Sixth Man by David Baldacci. Super good detective thriller.

Book before that was The Game by Neil Strauss. Interesting concept on social dynamics and human interaction.

Now I'm on to 1984 and The 5 people you meet in heaven.

currently reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, got into him after i read his "This is Water" Speech that he gave to Kenyon College. It is really sad that he decided to take his life, he was an amazing thinker.

Read a few Tom Robbins novels this summer, my favorite by and far was "Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates"

Reading "The Tipping Point" by Malcom Gladwell right now.

Itching to get into the Song of Fire and Ice series after I got hooked on Game of Thrones. Been reading aaaaaLOT lately.

• 3 months later...
[size=4]WOOT WOOT, I am glad this topic came up. So as my xmas gift my mom listened!! i asked for Damned By chuck [color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif]Palahniuk[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif]I cannot wait to get this book read and man im stoked, just with the new baby haven't had time to just sit yet.[/font][/color][/size]

I always have several books qued up to read, but lately I've been focusing mainly on comics.

Books:
Stephen King's The Dark Tower: Book 3: The Wastelands

Comics:
Justice League Dark
Punk Rock Jesus
Happy!
New 52 Swamp Thing
The Books Of Magic
The Invisibles
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? (It's a complete, 7 part re-telling of Philip K. Dick's novel...it's massive)

• 4 weeks later...
I'm reading [url="http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/39810-what-are-you-reading/page__pid__569854__st__120#entry569854"]http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/39810-what-are-you-reading/page__pid__569854__st__120#entry569854[/url] at the moment. It's about what other people are reading.
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I'm almost done re-reading Stephen King's IT. It is strange how different a book can feel when you are at a different point in your life. When I read it in my teens, my mind focused a lot on the surface stuff, the horror, thriller and "detective" aspects of it. Now, I find myself constantly re-reading specific passages that are reflective and introspective in nature. For example, there is a part in the book where, upon returning to his childhood hometown, one of the characters describes the "double vision" he gets from seeing what is there now and what is there in his memories overlapping each other. It reminds me of my own childhood hometown, driving past places that used to be fields and seeing sprawling subdivisions, or the place where some of the local kids dug a big "grave" (that's what we called it) to have fires in, so no one would see and we wouldn't get in trouble. That's now part of a childrens park. Out with the old, in with the new. Part of me aches a bit, because I know those childhood places of power are gone now. But at the same time I'm comforted, because I never had to see them grow old and dilapidated. We have to do that with enough things in our life, and I suppose it's nice to be able to truly remember something as it was, and not what it has become.

Anyways, I'm reading Stephen King's IT.

Right now: Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism by Chogyam Trungpa

"n this modern spiritual classic, the Tibetan meditation master Chögyam Trungpa highlights the commonest pitfall to which every aspirant on the spiritual path falls prey: what he calls spiritual materialism. The universal tendency, he shows, is to see spirituality as a process of self-improvement—the impulse to develop and refine the ego when the ego is, by nature, essentially empty. "The problem is that ego can convert anything to its own use," he said, "even spirituality." His incisive, compassionate teachings serve to wake us up from this trick we all play on ourselves, and to offer us a far brighter reality: the true and joyous liberation that inevitably involves letting go of the self rather than working to improve it. It is a message that has resonated with students for nearly thirty years, and remains fresh as ever today."

and 

Scientific Healing Affirmations by Paramhansa Yogananda

• 4 weeks later...

Zombie Fallout by Mark Tufo, Multipart zombie novel. Has comedy, action, and an overall well rounded group of survivors. On the third book already, and is a good time killer as well as a read.

I'm reading the Shinning.

Shinning? Is that where Jack Nicholson goes around a hotel kicking everyone in the shins repeatedly? :P

Can't believe my phone wouldn't let me put the "Shining" and made it that. My fail

Just finished Dan Brown's new Inferno. LOVED IT. Best Dan Brown book to date. Easily top 5.