What Are You Reading?

Stuie

im reading some books by william f. buckley jr. about some of his sailing adventures around the world. really interesting stuff if you are as into the sailing world as i am. i have grown up around sail boats my whole life and literally can not remember a time in my life when my family did not have a sail boat or two, so i have been sailing my whole life

Yemen,dancing on the heads of snakes by Victoria Clark, very well done book about the numerous factions that make up Yemeni politics and Ali Abdullah Saleh's style of rule

Finally got back into "You don't have to be evil to work here, but it helps" by Tom Holt.

Got half way through and lost interest awhile back. first 3 in the series where great but he moved on with the story line with the old main characters gone but the supporting ones still around. Just not as entertaining.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='followthereaper' timestamp='1313119585' post='519577']
House of Chains- 3rd book outa like 14 in the fantasy series Malazan Book of the Fallen

and

Stock Investing for Dummies
[/quote]

*meh one book ahead of f myself... meant Memories of Ice

Currently reading "The Art of Banhammering."

Nah, seriously... I need to re-read my Star Wars Expanded Universe book collection (starting with the ones that take place shortly after ROTJ). But I just have so much fun on TC instead usually!

---
- Tapatalk'd via iPhone

Currently reading "Caravan Kingdoms, Yemen and the ancient incense trade." Also reading a book by Henry de Monfried on NHT smuggling in the Red Sea in the early 20th century

• 1 year later...
Hey all so i was just wondering about this lately, what are you all reading? i know there is a what are you smoking thread...this is kinda like that but with books :P

Atm i am reading a book entitled "In the Shadow of the Sword: The Birth of Islam and the Rise of the Global Arab Empire". I am only a few pages in, and already there is a ton of information about the Arab world. Its a very well written book and so far im loving it. So my question to you Hookah Forum what are you reading?

reading chariots of the gods right now...almost half way done with it, its pretty good, a few gripes here and there with how the author presents his argument, but otherwise its interesting....hoping to re-read a couple books soon that i havent read in couple of years.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1346130872' post='555216']
Cold Mountain, a deeply poetic fictional account of the South during the Civil War.
[/quote]
sounds good. might have to see if the library has it

Been re-reading the old Animorphs I collected as a kid. Amazing how it's STILL fantastic. Gonna cruise around Ebay and such to see if I can't find the last handful of books I need to complete the set I started over a decade ago.

I'm actually writing two books so I'm doing reading for research and reading my own book. One is an account of Saint Francis during the 5th crusade and the encounter with sultan Malik al-Kamil and how it shaped the formation of the Franciscans the other is an apocolyptic style book set in real life times but works with Christian, Islam, and other religious ideas of the "end times."

all of those sound pretty awesome, but tyler i like the sound of yours alot more so the apocalyptic views of all of the major religions at the moment. I would love to read that when you finish it (and publish it if thats the route you are taking).

[quote name='Coleman' timestamp='1346135588' post='555225']
I decided to finally read the count of monte cristo it is one of the few books I did not read before I saw the movie.
[/quote]

will ruin the movie for you.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1346169956' post='555300']
[quote name='Coleman' timestamp='1346135588' post='555225']
I decided to finally read the count of monte cristo it is one of the few books I did not read before I saw the movie.
[/quote]

will ruin the movie for you.
[/quote]

Is the book that much better? like Eragon? (only example i can give) because the book was amazing and the movie chopped the story line to bits with out any remorse.

I hope to get it published but you know that kind of thing is never promised. If not I will let anyone who wants to read it lol

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1346169956' post='555300'][quote name='Coleman' timestamp='1346135588' post='555225']
[/quote]

will ruin the movie for you.[/quote]

That's fine by me I always enjoy the book more than movies

I go from the really serious stuff, history, biographies, etc., to the lighter stuff - all on a Kindle. My Kindle has probably been my favorite purchase over the past several years. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having an entire library in my hand. Right now I'm working on a Lincoln Child book by the name of Utopia. For those who don't know Child writes what are really thrillers but there's usually a touch of the spooky in there somewhere.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1346180093' post='555308']
I go from the really serious stuff, history, biographies, etc., to the lighter stuff - all on a Kindle. My Kindle has probably been my favorite purchase over the past several years. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having an entire library in my hand. Right now I'm working on a Lincoln Child book by the name of Utopia. For those who don't know Child writes what are really thrillers but there's usually a touch of the spooky in there somewhere.

'Rani
[/quote]

no matter how awesome that would be, i still love the feeling of a book in my hand. I would hate not turning pages or actually "owning" the book. Im sorry but until the day i die i will be a hardcore "real" copy addict.