Are Kids Worse Than They Used To Be?

Bella

I do not think Parents or Kids are worse. I just think privacy and the ability to be caught doing bad things is sooo much easier now-a-days. Kids did plenty of illicit things back in the day but there wasnt a cell phone to peek through and see that your kid was "sexting" or throwing partys. Kids will be kids and parents will be parents. When it comes to the parents or older folks thinking kids are worse that issue or belief relies on who they were when they were that age and what "class" they lived in during there child hood. If you were part of the Beaver cliver club then yes kids are horrible! if you were part of the dazed and Confused kids then well kids are basicly the same some just dress worse/beter. ( I am aware that those were different time periods im just trying to give a rough example). I am also aware that some people fit inbtween those two worlds and had a Dazed Beaver life style.

The Main down fall is with the ability too track ever movement of your kids lives. It is horrible you can literaly tag your kid. What happened to the "I caught you lying because your my son and I can tell?" or "I caught you because I invented that sleak little move you tryed to pull?" Same goes for the parent side. On the news we mostly see "kid taken away from neglectful parents" . Or whats that totts or hookers show?? the one where the parents are creepers and make there kids dress up as if they were that 18 year old girl i met in Aruba and well thats enough about that one. I think u catch my drift. ( and some of those things do offer good things for the kids like the ability to learn early that public speaking isnt scary or its ok to loose and so forth) But the parents are nutz and arent doing it for those reasons.

"Back in the day" things werent constantly published and people in general were able to live there own lives. and Focused on there own lives rather then obssesiing about the lastest gossip and what not. Is this 100% true no, did things like desperate house wives happen. fuck yea it did, did the world care as much? I would like to think they didnt. Its just we hear about kids being worse thats all. That of course is just My opinon...and if you don't agree yoour wrong! na the last part was a joke.
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
i dont think kids are "worst" like some one above me said its technology but not technology to blame.

Kids are kids we just grow up in different times and raise by different people. i was like hit once as a kid with a wooden paddle didn't like it so i got smart worked my way around it. if i wanted something id make my little brother ask for it he got it and then i got it. i grew up in northern cali great place but i was outside a lot playing being a kid now people would rather just put their childern in front of a TV and do their own thing.

my girlfriend has two little cousin twins girl is calm and collected boy is outrageous and stubborn. now one big factor is that we think because our kids or hyper they have something wrong with them adhd or bipolar because they have mood shifts which is BULLSHIT. they have energy and need to let it out and aggression and what not is the only way or crying from what i've seen. i played a LOT of video games as a kid but i went out all day. i never had a time to be back as long as my mom thought i was safe from the age of 11.

just let your kids play and go outside give them some trust let them get hurt its your job to teach them that the stoves hot the rocks to high to jump off of i feel learning by error is the best.involve them in sports and creative things get their little minds molding and growing. and punishment will need to be set in place sometime sooner or later let them grow up, give them freedom, give them there own things, biggest thing of all don't over spoil them.

Teaching is a HUGE part in kids lives helping them understand and grasp concepts do what you think is right you have a conscious you know whats right and wrong install that in them.

Its part of the process of the growing for many us. Rebellion, except we aren't quite smart enough to figure out which battles to choose and which friends to make. I like Rani's statement about raising them like wolves, tough love can be a wonderful thing, coddling only reinforces the stupid decision. I remember reading,years ago, a comment made by Roman Senator circa 1st century, saying that kids were getting worse, so i reckon the problem is an historic one.

As mother I would say yes. Is my child the most well behaved kid, no. Hes three. All three year olds have their moments. I think the difference is the majority or families have two working parents. most kids have been or are in some sort of day care system. By the time the parents get home from work cook and clean there isnt a lot of play time which is important for young kids. I know A LOT of parents that sit their kids in front of a TV, which sometimes needs to be done to get things done, and let the TV babysit their kids. Kids dont get a lot of freedom because the outside world is "dangerous". I took a few early childhood classes and learned a LOT from them. I wish it was mandatory for new parents to go through so they had some sort of guidelines on how to raise a child in today's society because THINGS HAVE CHANGED. People dont have the support systems they once had. Families are less likely to have 2-5 kids around to help with the younger ones while you do the household duties.

All in all I think kids are still kids. They need guidlines and rules put in place by their parents or caregivers that work for the kid. I personally do NOT believe in spanking my child because there are soooo many other ways to teach kids what they need and what they dont need without being violent with them. I've let my child cry in the store because he cant have a toy or a movie but at the end of the day I dont care what people thought in the store... I have taught my son that he will not always get what he wants even if he kicks and screams. Which in the long run makes him more resonapoble and understand that just because he crys and has a fit doesnt mean he will be handed everything he wants and a lot of parents dont understand this, they would rather have a smiling happy kid but that doesnt help anything.

Anyways I could go on for days so I will stop here. Times have changed, people have changed and in the end a kid is a kid and needs someone there to love them even if they are little turds.

[quote name='Erica' timestamp='1318098177' post='527126']
As mother I would say yes. Is my child the most well behaved kid, no. Hes three. All three year olds have their moments. I think the difference is the majority or families have two working parents. most kids have been or are in some sort of day care system. By the time the parents get home from work cook and clean there isnt a lot of play time which is important for young kids. I know A LOT of parents that sit their kids in front of a TV, which sometimes needs to be done to get things done, and let the TV babysit their kids. Kids dont get a lot of freedom because the outside world is "dangerous". I took a few early childhood classes and learned a LOT from them. I wish it was mandatory for new parents to go through so they had some sort of guidelines on how to raise a child in today's society because THINGS HAVE CHANGED. People dont have the support systems they once had. Families are less likely to have 2-5 kids around to help with the younger ones while you do the household duties.

All in all I think kids are still kids. They need guidlines and rules put in place by their parents or caregivers that work for the kid. I personally do NOT believe in spanking my child because there are soooo many other ways to teach kids what they need and what they dont need without being violent with them. I've let my child cry in the store because he cant have a toy or a movie but at the end of the day I dont care what people thought in the store... I have taught my son that he will not always get what he wants even if he kicks and screams. Which in the long run makes him more resonapoble and understand that just because he crys and has a fit doesnt mean he will be handed everything he wants and a lot of parents dont understand this, they would rather have a smiling happy kid but that doesnt help anything.

Anyways I could go on for days so I will stop here. Times have changed, people have changed and in the end a kid is a kid and needs someone there to love them even if they are little turds.
[/quote]

[img]http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/2194/shellymarsh.jpg[/img]

Idk man, go watch the original bad boys with Sean Penn. with all the restraints in society and cameras on every block and in everyones phone I think we're slowly getting less 'bad' but more stupid and spoiled. Edited by littlec

I got talked into helping with a local summer leadership camp last summer.

All I have to say is that now I completely understand why male lions eat the cubs. Good gawd that was a completely, unabashed, unmitigated, totally miserable, arse-munching, ball-bustin' nightmare that would have made freddy kruger run from the room with tears in his eyes.

This nation needs a million traveling nuns on call, with giant rulers to smack the little bastards... and their kids.

• 2 months later...
I think what you see in kids is endemic to our culture; adults are also worse, and their children are the result of that. today if someone cuts you off driving and you honk at them, you get the finger, not an apologetic glance. people are so encapsulated in their little worlds and so concerned for themselves they have absolved themselves from any responsibility beyond that which they have to be accountable for. this also includes their children; they no longer discipline their kids until they absolutely have to because the path of least resistance is easier until something tragic or significant happens, and then they wonder what went wrong. my parents rarely hit me, but by god I dared not cross them (because if I did I would have to be subjected to lectures - often lasting hours - from my father; I would rather have just been hit and had it over with). parents are ultimately responsible for their children's discipline. anyone trying to blame it on technology or whatever is simply addressing symptoms and not the real cause. I had video games when I was a kid (albeit an Atari 2600 and Commodore computer) but if I fucked up, that shit was taken away from me. it was a privilege, not a right.

anyway, yeah, I agree with the OP but it's not just the kids. and Rani, you're awesome. I'm sure you're a great mom :) I'll just be sure to never cross you...

• 1 month later...
[quote name='ugothookah' timestamp='1327674223' post='536778']
I'm not even that old and I've noticed a difference. I think its the excessive amount of media that kids have access to at a very young age.
[/quote]

It not just media that they have access too, its also social pressures like their friends getitng what ever they want like an iphone or watching tv when ever they wish it.

[quote name='ugothookah' timestamp='1327674223' post='536778']
I'm not even that old and I've noticed a difference. I think its the excessive amount of media that kids have access to at a very young age.
[/quote]

i second this, im only 18 and im noticing that the younger generations (A.K.A. 8-12 yearolds) are not well behaved at all. I mean i walk through the mall and i see at least 3 kids throwing fits in public within 5 min and im not talking about crying, im saying screaming, stomping, yelling "I hate you" among other things. In my opinion its the Parents that are effecting them most, they are taking what their parents did and weeding out what they didnt "like". which in most cases was the stuff that actually had an effect...thats my 2 cents anyway. Rant over. Edited by headhunter

[quote name='Venger' timestamp='1316102397' post='524003']
There is a fine line between discipline and abuse. I never spanked my son in anger. I always gave him the choice of continuing the behavior and getting a spank or behaving. I would never let him scream in a restaurant or public place I would always take him to the mens room or out to the car and let him know his behavior was unacceptable. If he continued I said ok you have chosen the spanking do you want it now or when we get home. Being the trooper her was he always took his lickings right then and there (he didn't want it hanging over his head) this is when he was a toddler and as he got older spankings turned into loss of privileges.
No video games,no tv no toys that sort of things. The best advice I can give any new parent is be consistent,don't give second chances and always follow through with whatever punishment you have threatened with. Tough love is still love. Love them enough to let them hate you from time to time. Don't be afraid to be the bad guy. Someday they will thank you. Promise.
[/quote]

I Agree with every word. Being born in the early 92, I feel like I was right at the tail end of the tough love from parents era. To be honest, I hated the way my parents raised me AT THE TIME. Looking back, I feel like I would never be the person I am today without the way my parents raised me. When I moved out to go to college, I even sent my mom a big long email thanking her for everything she did and that I truly appreciate the way she did things.

I also agree with another previous post saying that it's not necessarily the kids, it has a lot to do with the way parents are doing things. And that times are changing. For example, I was grounded from my bike for a month when I got caught riding once without my helmet even to this day, I will never ride my bike or snowboard without my helmet. Not for fear of being grounded, but because the way my mom explained why I was grounded (because I put myself in danger and that's one of the worst things you can do). In this day and age, though, my little brother will get grounded, and it's nothing to him. It's almost like grounding isn't even a real thing anymore.

So I think that kids and parents are changing! But I also think that it's just our perception of the generation below us being influenced by hearing it from the generation above us. The old "when I was your age......." I've heard it with just about any situation I've encountered. I've even caught myself saying it at times!

I like this one from Bill Cosby - [i]My father established our relationship when I was seven years old. He looked at me and said, "You know, I brought you in this world, and I can take you out. And it don't make no difference to me, I'll make another one look just like you."[/i]

I grew up without a father, so I had no role models to follow. Everything I know about being a dad came from other sources. Must have done something right because my children are great people and very successful in life. Now I'm trying to be the grandfather I never had.

Children are no worse than they've ever been. Parents are no worse; they're just doing the best they can. It's civilization that's worse. We're going downhill even as we get more and more technologically advanced. Maybe we're moving too fast for our ethics and morality to catch up. All a man can do is find the things he believes in, and hold onto what he loves and thinks important.

I tend to catch a lot of crap for my opinion on topics like these, but to me it makes sense. I don't feel that children, parents, civilization or any other scapegoat has gotten worse. Simply put, the world has just changed. Kids in today's society do things which are seen as negative, and then people blame their parents, and them blame society as a whole. Truthfully, I feel it's just that the world has a different outlook. Children have always acted out, and always will. A child acting out in the 40s would likely have been in a smaller setting like a mom and pop shop, whereas today it's in a Wal-Mart, where a large group of the public can see.

Parents have put the tough love on a shelf, which has negatives, but it doesn't change much as a whole. In the end, a lot of children (a majority I would say) make it through being with their parents, get jobs, maybe go to college, and move on. It's all down to the individual child and always has been.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='CarePolice' timestamp='1329035301' post='538766']
I tend to catch a lot of crap for my opinion on topics like these, but to me it makes sense. [u][b]I don't feel that children, parents, civilization or any other scapegoat has gotten worse. Simply put, the world has just changed. Kids in today's society do things which are seen as negative, and then people blame their parents, and them blame society as a whole. Truthfully, I feel it's just that the world has a different outlook. Children have always acted out, and always will.[/b][/u] A child acting out in the 40s would likely have been in a smaller setting like a mom and pop shop, whereas today it's in a Wal-Mart, where a large group of the public can see.

Parents have put the tough love on a shelf, which has negatives, but it doesn't change much as a whole. In the end, a lot of children (a majority I would say) make it through being with their parents, get jobs, maybe go to college, and move on. It's all down to the individual child and always has been.
[/quote]

+1 for that, man. I say that parents and authority throughout the ages have been fussing about how bad kids are, and how the new generation is ruining everything. And it's not going to stop anytime soon, kids will be rebels and miscreants no matter what. It'll just be in a different uniform with a different catchphrase every new generation.

I'll disagree. It didn't matter to my parents where I threw a fit. It could have been in the mall, at the dentist's office or in the car. It was made clear that the attitude and the actions were unacceptable.

The "world" and "civilization" comprises of the parents and children. Yes, things deemed negative way back when are more commonly accepted, but I do not think that's the topic of discussion. I think it's the actions, that we know are unacceptable, that are the problems.

It's just my opinion, but I don't think it's ok to let a kid throw a tantrum for not getting what he/she wants. It's not ok for a kid to insult their parents. It's not ok for kids to disregard the law or the safety of others. Even though the "world" is changing, I doubt these scenarios will ever be considered acceptable (except the first one, apparently).

I also disagree in saying it's dependent on the child. It's dependent on the environment surrounding the child. A child growing up in a privileged/sheltered life isn't going to go end up the same as if he had to live hand to mouth. A person raised with loving, supportive parents isn't going to end up the same as one that is abused and neglected. Yes, these are extremes, but to say everything relies solely on the child is just naive. Edited by Arcane

It takes a few years, but it's possible to teach a child the difference between 'want' and 'need'. Once they reach an age where they can communicate properly it becomes easier.

My own children knew the difference by the time they entered school. Of course, they could also read and write by that time.

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1329263756' post='539021']
I'll disagree. It didn't matter to my parents where I threw a fit. It could have been in the mall, at the dentist's office or in the car. It was made clear that the attitude and the actions were unacceptable.

The "world" and "civilization" comprises of the parents and children. Yes, things deemed negative way back when are more commonly accepted, but I do not think that's the topic of discussion. I think it's the actions, that we know are unacceptable, that are the problems.

It's just my opinion, but I don't think it's ok to let a kid throw a tantrum for not getting what he/she wants. It's not ok for a kid to insult their parents. It's not ok for kids to disregard the law or the safety of others. Even though the "world" is changing, I doubt these scenarios will ever be considered acceptable (except the first one, apparently).

I also disagree in saying it's dependent on the child. It's dependent on the environment surrounding the child. A child growing up in a privileged/sheltered life isn't going to go end up the same as if he had to live hand to mouth. A person raised with loving, supportive parents isn't going to end up the same as one that is abused and neglected. Yes, these are extremes, but to say everything relies solely on the child is just naive.
[/quote]

LOL, I'm sorry but you brought back a memory. My son threw exactly ONE tantrum in his life. He thought he could get away with it because we were in a department store. Didn't take me more than 5 seconds to drag his ass back behind the women's dresses and wail on his backside a minute. End of tantrum. Gave him 30 seconds to get his face and act together and back we went to shopping. I'm a big proponent of spanking, but I believe if you do it when it's necessary you don't have to do it often. I could count every time I spanked my son on one hand and have a couple fingers left. It's knowing you're not playing games and can't be pushed that does the trick. The "You're going to get it if you don't...." Yeah, right. Threats don't work, actions do.

'Rani

• 3 weeks later...
I think their are ways to discipline a child with out even spanking that do work. But what ever was it is its still discipline, thast the reason why I think kids are worse then they were. Less people take care of situations now then they did back in the day. I have been been put as the bad guy by parents at my job. Kid does something their not supposed to and the parent leans over and whispers to me" you should tell him not to do that". WTH so now im supposed to teach your kid whats wrong and discipline them and not you? why?
I do understand that kids will be kids and act on impulse. People need to teach their kids manners and self-control. Yes kids aren't little angels all the time, but I have seen the same kid at my work act like the worse little shit I have ever seen for months maybe even a year. I have yet to see his mom say more than 2 words "stop it". Ive got stories for days about kids that run amok around my job. I have also seen some very well behaved kids the same age groups as the not so well behaved.

I just think it's odd that every 12-year-old out there wasn't born when 9/11 happened. It makes me feel old, even though I'm a few weeks from being 20. I was alive when something majorly historical happened, and they weren't.

Anyway, yes. I think children have taken a turn for the worse. When I was younger I would go to parks, and play outside. My first game console was an N64, which I received for my 12th birthday. Now-a-days, kids are playing video games and being anti-social at very young ages. This, in part, is why a lot more kids are getting obese. When I was in elementary school there were hardly any chubby kids. But now... My own brother (whose 14) weighs twice my weight (I weigh 165). Attitude wise, there's really not much of a change from my generation.

I have not touched this topic yet, but I feel this thread needs my input (despite having not read a single post in this thread).

Kids are idiots. They have always been idiots. They just don't know anything, for real. They are complete idiots. I coasted my way through all of school, barely studying and having absolutely no drive to do anything with my life...and I am smarter than every single kid (except those weird prodigy ones, they are freaks of nature and don't count).
Kids are like really drunk adults. They just kind of fumble around, awkwardly making a mess of things and generally pissing people off, but, because they are cool sometimes, we just let it slide, because hey, they don't know what they are doing.

• 2 weeks later...
i honestly think that parents dont dissapline their kids any more, they think "a good talking to" will straighten them out instead of a good swat on the ass or in the back of the head like when my parents were growing up

ALOT of men are using the cuddly baby feminine voice and trying to "negotiate" with the kids instead of using the stern masculine voice of a dominate male, and kids crave structure and need discipline IMHO and people are just not willing to do it anymore,

on a second note no kid has to take responsibility, if hes getting bad grades "ITS THE SCHOOLS FAULT FOR NOT SPENDING ENOUGH TIME WITH HIM", or if your kid is Fat " School should have more excersize and more nutritious meals!", while the chubby little moron sits at home and eats chips and drinks soda while playing video games instead of studying

.....we need to bring back whoopins and consequences!!!

I don't think kids are worse than they used to be; some are less submissive, less scared of punishment. Some are outright brats, but I think that's always been a group that's existed. And I can certainly see how that would bump up against the expectations of adults. A group of people (that's what kids are, is people, by the way) who fear the wrath of people stronger than them, who have basically no control over the trajectory of their lives, who are regarded as property, who don't get to contribute to decisions made for them, which are never explained to them, sure, that's an easier group of people to control, and get along with. Doesn't make 'em better. Edited by Christopher Mason Taylor