Acclimation Issues With Tangiers By Sonthert

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Sep 2 2009, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah an overpack will affect the flavor for awhile...until the juice boils down...it gets lower until its not hitting the foil anymore. If its longer term, its not an overpack. Looking at your whole setup, I still think you are underpacked. Add a little more...whats the worst thing that happens?

he runs out of tobacco?

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's an observation I have made.

When I got my shipment of tangiers last friday, I opened a bag of cactus fruit and it smelled amazing! I immediately packed a bowl to see if I could capture that flavor before it went away. The smoke was good, flavor decent, I was satisfied. I thought, if it's this good now, after acclimating it will be even better. NOT SO! I did the 4/20 method and at the end, I opened my container to find it actually smelled worse! Now I'm scared to acclimate it anymore because of the chance that it will move closer and closer to smelling of buttholes like my last 500g of Tangiers.

Any thoughts on this?

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Sep 3 2009, 05:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah an overpack will affect the flavor for awhile...until the juice boils down...it gets lower until its not hitting the foil anymore. If its longer term, its not an overpack. Looking at your whole setup, I still think you are underpacked. Add a little more...whats the worst thing that happens?

honestly eric, those pics above are the first pics i took, the first and second bowl i had tried since you sent me the shisha. since then, i have stuffed tobacco so tight in the bowl, i literally cannot fit anymore. No lie, i just stuff it and pack it down as much as possible so i can fit more tobacco in the bowl, and still no flavor. The amount i have been packing in the bowl ... would yield me 6 bowls worth max per 250g and I am using a mini.

I should be at least getting some flavor, but I don't. I think there is something else involved ... just wish I knew what that something else was.

I have been told even if you pack it down as tight as can be, to the point where it starts oozing out the bowl, you will still get flavor. So this only leads me to believe it is something else.

Even when i was learning how to pack tangiers (before i met with Eric in SD and got set straight) and i would underpack bowls, i still got flavor. Infact a hookah bar in chicago would sprinkle in tangiers in a egyptian bowl and even tho it was harsh, it had flavor. It wasnt nearly as good as it is done properly, but flavor was always there.

The common factor in all those circumstances was, it was acclimated and smelled great. The only "DING its done" to know when the acclimation process is done, is by smell. If it smells delicous, its acclimated.

Once it smells yummy, IMO ya should start from your original packing, and keep adding a lil bit more tobacco. Smoke it, not much flavor? Add a lil bit more. Keep adding till ya hit it.

I know from personal experience, that its frustrating trying to get it to work. But i took it as a challenge. Im a hookah pro! And i cant let any tobacco get the best of me.

Btw, ive called eric numerous times and he happily consulted me over the phone. He is one of those guys where you feel comfortable talking to him, and he always wants to help.

QUOTE (Webbles @ Sep 3 2009, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even when i was learning how to pack tangiers (before i met with Eric in SD and got set straight) and i would underpack bowls, i still got flavor. Infact a hookah bar in chicago would sprinkle in tangiers in a egyptian bowl and even tho it was harsh, it had flavor. It wasnt nearly as good as it is done properly, but flavor was always there.

The common factor in all those circumstances was, it was acclimated and smelled great. The only "DING its done" to know when the acclimation process is done, is by smell. If it smells delicous, its acclimated.

Once it smells yummy, IMO ya should start from your original packing, and keep adding a lil bit more tobacco. Smoke it, not much flavor? Add a lil bit more. Keep adding till ya hit it.

I know from personal experience, that its frustrating trying to get it to work. But i took it as a challenge. Im a hookah pro! And i cant let any tobacco get the best of me.

Btw, ive called eric numerous times and he happily consulted me over the phone. He is one of those guys where you feel comfortable talking to him, and he always wants to help.

Totally agree with you there.

But the thing is ,like i said, no matter what, i get no flavor. As you said some lounges sprinkled and they still had flavor even tho it was harsh, i really don't know what is giving me flavorless smoke.

And it is for sure acclimated, red apple and cocoa are definitely good to go.

I am going to try cold water tonight in the vase instead of warm water, a hf member showed me some things eric said about humidity and temp of water in the vase.

Basically if its dry out, use hot water, not scorching but hot.

And if its humid use cold water in the vase.

I believe thats what he said, if memory serves me right.

I think I'll be ordering some OG on my next order along with some lucid.I think here in the upper midwest we've passed the huge humidity swings of summer and are heading into more stable dry conditions of fall.I'll be ordering in the next few days, supplies are getting dangerously low.I'll be sure to try the 4-20 method.

Alright so i have a question. I ordered my tangiers a bit ago, I've had it acclimating for a total time of about 4-5 days, but it still smells the same and not how it should. It is horchata flavor and smells like tobacco and some cinnamon.

Now i know it must be able to acclimate because when i come back to it to stir it after a while, the stirring fork i use (that is coated with the glycerin and everything) smells sweet and just like the tobacco should, but the tobacco doesn't! Should i try spreading it out on foil and leave it for longer?

So i packed a fat bowl in my small funnel and did a foil test. When I did a foil test, Immediately juices started dripping in the funnel hole. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal. I am smoking now the flavor was there for 10 min I didnt rotate and then the flavor went away. I rotated flavor is there and then it went away. I am using 2 1/4 exoticas and now on the rotation am using a wind cover. Edited by newjacksm

QUOTE (Bandito @ Sep 3 2009, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alright so i have a question. I ordered my tangiers a bit ago, I've had it acclimating for a total time of about 4-5 days, but it still smells the same and not how it should. It is horchata flavor and smells like tobacco and some cinnamon.

Now i know it must be able to acclimate because when i come back to it to stir it after a while, the stirring fork i use (that is coated with the glycerin and everything) smells sweet and just like the tobacco should, but the tobacco doesn't! Should i try spreading it out on foil and leave it for longer?

read this entire thread, listen to everything that "Sonthert" says

QUOTE (newjacksm @ Sep 3 2009, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So i packed a fat bowl in my small funnel and did a foil test. When I did a foil test, Immediately juices started dripping in the funnel hole. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal. I am smoking now the flavor was there for 10 min I didnt rotate and then the flavor went away. I rotated flavor is there and then it went away. I am using 2 1/4 exoticas and now on the rotation am using a wind cover.

hmm, seems like you are having quite the time over there too.

at least you get flavor for a little while.

The juices are dripping like crazy, they are boiling over the hole. It's dripping into my tray. I will try a little less next time. I am getting some flavor it's a bit..... I dont know can't explain it. The flavor is very sour and gets stuck on the back of my throat. I wouldnt call it a throat tickle because it's not. I am smoking Passion Fruit. Edited by newjacksm

well i think thats enough to assume you over packed it. The one session i got some flavor ... i packed way less than I thought I should have and it actually worked out pretty good, but since then, no flavor has any taste but smells amazing, kinda makes me mad b/c of how good it smells.

QUOTE (newjacksm @ Sep 3 2009, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The juices are dripping like crazy, they are boiling over the hole. It's dripping into my tray. I will try a little less next time. I am getting some flavor it's a bit..... I dont know can't explain it. The flavor is very sour and gets stuck on the back of my throat. I wouldnt call it a throat tickle because it's not. I am smoking Passion Fruit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACfPMVGV2V0

watch y learn

I'd say do your experimenting. You've now got the experience of packing way too much into the bowl. So now scale back bit by bit till you hit the sweet spot. You could try my video up here. I packed it about 1/2" over the top of the bowl, pressed down, and foiled it. Smoked very well.

QUOTE (supersubby @ Sep 3 2009, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (newjacksm @ Sep 3 2009, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The juices are dripping like crazy, they are boiling over the hole. It's dripping into my tray. I will try a little less next time. I am getting some flavor it's a bit..... I dont know can't explain it. The flavor is very sour and gets stuck on the back of my throat. I wouldnt call it a throat tickle because it's not. I am smoking Passion Fruit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACfPMVGV2V0

watch y learn

I've watched that video multiple times.

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Sep 3 2009, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd say do your experimenting. You've now got the experience of packing way too much into the bowl. So now scale back bit by bit till you hit the sweet spot. You could try my video up here. I packed it about 1/2" over the top of the bowl, pressed down, and foiled it. Smoked very well.

that's what I am currently trying to do right now, but i don't need to say what my issue is in this thread again I don't think, i'm sure ive said it enough.

Matto is your rig clean?? Fresh water, clean hose, clean stem? (Im sure they are, but i had to ask. I would be insulted if someone asked me that too, so sorry ohmy.gif )

What about heat, have you tired adding/cutting back heat?

yes i clean my stuff after every smoke.

i tried using less heat and it got worse, eric recommended trying more heat, which i found to be kinda odd, because the more coal I add the less taste i get, so imma try his recommendation and see where it leads me.

I put what I thought was less shisha in the bowl and it leaked like hell once I added coal onto the bowl. I guess I am accustomed to packing the shit out of the bowl. The small I am using is smaller then my other small and it has a taller hole too. Edited by newjacksm

I still got no flavor ... eric thinks It could be that acclimation is slightly off. Even though it smells good, all of my issues are boiling down to not perfect acclimation.

He recommended i try 2/22 instead of 4/20. I am going to do 2/22 for 2-3 days, then give it another shot.

I will keep you all posted.