Acclimation Issues With Tangiers By Sonthert

Oh dont get me wrong, i get tangiers to smoke just fine in a mini - infact for those that havent tasted tangiers in a med-large bowl, it might seem good! (its amazing how little heat you need for a mini bowl)

But since me and my brothers regularly smoke out of large or medium bowls, we are more accustomed to that strong of a flavor. And i dont care what people say, THERE IS a flavor diff between the amount of tobacco in mini bowl and a large/medium bowl.

Try smoking tangiers out of a larger bowl and see if that would help with the flavor change.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Sep 1 2009, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Packed another bowl of Tangiers coco last night, and based on how a quick smell of cocoa today is smelling, last night it definitely wasn't fully acclimated. I packed it again sorta like the photos above, but not nearly as tight ... i packed it more like my nakhla tutorial found here : http://www.hookahforum.com/?showtopic=31762 with i'd say ... 10g more than what you see in the bowl of the tutorial. I am starting to think that you DONT have to pack the crap out of Tangiers, but where you pack the tobacco ... it must have no air pockets, and must be packed reasonably tight ... the lighter i pack it, the thicker the clouds get, and if anything, the flavor gets better.

I just get confused because I watch hookahjohn/Eric's video ...and then I look at my nakhla tutorial (many tang smokers have told me to do exactly what I do for nakhla in the tutorial) and even though Eric is using a medium in his video it looks like waaaaay more tobacco being packed than my nakhla tutorial.

Should I really try packing that little of tobacco in the bowl with tangiers?

i pack about the same as eric does with noir and about the same as your nak tutorial with the lucid.

i think there is something to be said about packing in larger bowls. it really is easier and the results always seem better...i use smaller sized mediums when i smoke noir (not that i cant get a session out of a small, the mediums just seem better)

So can i get away with packing it like the nak tutorial with OG? Every bowl i've smoked so far has had pretty good clouds but when you pull it feels like the airflow in the bowl is bad. And i poke big holes all the way through the bowl, so it leads me to believe it's over packed.

The pics above ... does it look over packed?

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Sep 1 2009, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So can i get away with packing it like the nak tutorial with OG? Every bowl i've smoked so far has had pretty good clouds but when you pull it feels like the airflow in the bowl is bad. And i poke big holes all the way through the bowl, so it leads me to believe it's over packed.

Honestly mat, i dont think packing is your problem. I think its just acclimation. Because the way you pack your nakhla is very very close to how tangiers is to be packed. Maybe with a itty bit more tobacco. But you should have a pretty good session with what you have there.

As for the pull, as long as you poked the holes the same way as the pic (over the center funnel) and the funnel is clear of tobacco, it shouldnt pull hard at all.

Also a good sign of overpacking is juices in the base (going up the the funnel and down the stem) juices bubbling thru the foil holes, and/or juices drizzling down the side of the bowl.

Yeah, that's what I have been saying for quite some time ... many didn't quite "agree" with me.

So tonight I am going to pack it just like the nakhla with a few extra grams in the bowl and see where that takes me.

btw, i did the 4/20 with the cocoa, even tho it smelt pretty damn good, and I just opened it. The alcohol smell went away, smells like pure cocoa and brownies.

Another question though. If the flavor sits it smells good, when i stir it, it smells like faint cocoa, then slowly starts to smell good again, is this a sign of needing more acclimation or does tangiers just do that? (I have noticed this with almost every tang flavor I have ever had)

Thanks

QUOTE (Webbles @ Sep 1 2009, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Sep 1 2009, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Honestly mat, i dont think packing is your problem. I think its just acclimation. Because the way you pack your nakhla is very very close to how tangiers is to be packed. Maybe with a itty bit more tobacco. But you should have a pretty good session with what you have there.

As for the pull, as long as you poked the holes the same way as the pic (over the center funnel) and the funnel is clear of tobacco, it shouldnt pull hard at all.

Also a good sign of overpacking is juices in the base (going up the the funnel and down the stem) juices bubbling thru the foil holes, and/or juices drizzling down the side of the bowl.

QUOTE (Scoop @ Sep 1 2009, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think there is something to be said about packing in larger bowls. it really is easier and the results always seem better...i use smaller sized mediums when i smoke noir (not that i cant get a session out of a small, the mediums just seem better)

I have noticed that my "large" phunnel from H-S looks a lot smaller than the phunnels I see other people using, and I often have trouble with it. I'm hoping the large I just ordered from HC works a bit better.

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Sep 1 2009, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another question though. If the flavor sits it smells good, when i stir it, it smells like faint cocoa, then slowly starts to smell good again, is this a sign of needing more acclimation or does tangiers just do that? (I have noticed this with almost every tang flavor I have ever had)

Thanks

Good question, i would assume it could use a lil more acclimation w/ stiring, but as long as it goes to smelling like coco soon there after its probably good enough to smoke.

There is a concentration of heavy vapors that sit on top of the tobacco that constitute the aroma...you stir it, agitate the air, disperse the aroma that's there so the aroma is more thin. After a few minutes, more smell will be released and be sitting on the top again...

Hows that work for a theory?

Today I did the second round 4/20 and it smelled the scent of pink grapefruit smelled even stronger then yesterday. I will pack it in my bigger bowl. Still a small but it's a lot bigger then my other small.

working out really well...

I will leave it out again tomorrow one last time when I get back from school and at the end of classes I will pack a bowl and smoke with my jap coals that I hate so much. Edited by newjacksm

Mattarios....the first one looks OK, a little light. The second one is too lightly packed. When you do the foil test, press the foil down until it presses into the tobacco and the tobacco stops pressing down. Its not "how it looks" its how it feels to your hand, on top of the foil. Press the foil down more. If you can get it to go down a lot more, then its underpacked. Thats the general point of the foil test. tongue.gif

Ih303...33 is cactus fruit.

Page 14 Responses:

33 is Cactus Fruit
11 is Kashmir Cherry
13 is White Grape
69 is Passionfruit

I don't remember sending out Pink Grapefruit...??? What flavor are you talking about? Newjacksm? smile.gif

Mattarios...listen to me...don't read other peoples weirdness...focus on the sound of my voice. You are underpacking those bowls. The first picture you posted a little bit underpacked, the second one moreso, now you're straying the wrong direction. The third one you said you put less in. Nail my method then you can try other people's methods. More tobacco. A little more than the first picture. Like a pinch or a pinch and a half.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Sep 2 2009, 03:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Page 14 Responses:

33 is Cactus Fruit
11 is Kashmir Cherry
13 is White Grape
69 is Passionfruit

Thanks for that! It seems the list on the forum is off a bit.

I've been super busy lately but will pack a bowl tonight and see where it takes me. Will keep you posted.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Sep 2 2009, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mattarios...listen to me...don't read other peoples weirdness...focus on the sound of my voice. You are underpacking those bowls. The first picture you posted a little bit underpacked, the second one moreso, now you're straying the wrong direction. The third one you said you put less in. Nail my method then you can try other people's methods. More tobacco. A little more than the first picture. Like a pinch or a pinch and a half.

yeah, Eric's got a point. it's his method we're testing out. should do it the way he says, also...uhhhh, he probably has controls or variables that he takes into account...

not really sure what goes on in that evil genius brain of his....

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Sep 2 2009, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mattarios....the first one looks OK, a little light. The second one is too lightly packed. When you do the foil test, press the foil down until it presses into the tobacco and the tobacco stops pressing down. Its not "how it looks" its how it feels to your hand, on top of the foil. Press the foil down more. If you can get it to go down a lot more, then its underpacked. Thats the general point of the foil test. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Sep 2 2009, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Page 14 Responses:

33 is Cactus Fruit
11 is Kashmir Cherry
13 is White Grape
69 is Passionfruit

I don't remember sending out Pink Grapefruit...??? What flavor are you talking about? Newjacksm? smile.gif

Ok. Only thing I am wondering is in the scale for how much tobacco to put in the bowl ... everything matches number 9 for me. And number 9 says too much tobacco. The description is exactly what is happening to me. Is it possible I am packing it down too hard, and you just can't tell in the picture?

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Sep 2 2009, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Sonthert @ Sep 2 2009, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Sep 2 2009, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Page 14 Responses:

33 is Cactus Fruit
11 is Kashmir Cherry
13 is White Grape
69 is Passionfruit

Ok. Only thing I am wondering is in the scale for how much tobacco to put in the bowl ... everything matches number 9 for me. And number 9 says too much tobacco. The description is exactly what is happening to me. Is it possible I am packing it down too hard, and you just can't tell in the picture?

can i see these pics so i can figure out if im packing it too much or too little..

one or two times i had juice bubble over 2 holes in the foil, and once i had juice stream down the side, other than that no. But it is really hot in my basement while we have been having a push of cool air. So my basement is much warmer than it is outside, but the tobacco acclimates fine in the basement. Is it possible this situation could be affecting the flavor when being smoked?

Yeah an overpack will affect the flavor for awhile...until the juice boils down...it gets lower until its not hitting the foil anymore. If its longer term, its not an overpack. Looking at your whole setup, I still think you are underpacked. Add a little more...whats the worst thing that happens?