Acclimation Issues With Tangiers By Sonthert

I know it's pretty late to join in this discussion, but the problem I have with tangiers isn't that it tastes bad, it's that it has no taste. Do other people have this issue?

And as of right now the theory is that we should let it acclimate for 4 hours, keep it covered for 20, and then smoke, right?

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, i am currently acclimating apple.

it has been open for 4 hours and has been sealed for 2 hours now. I have those tupperwares that have the little cap on the top so you can put them in the microwave and the stuff inside doesn't explode. And every little while i smell it, and it is smelling more and more like apple ... seems as though we may have found a fix for my acclimation issue ... but I am not getting too excited ... wink.gif

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Aug 31 2009, 03:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes, i am currently acclimating apple.

it has been open for 4 hours and has been sealed for 2 hours now. I have those tupperwares that have the little cap on the top so you can put them in the microwave and the stuff inside doesn't explode. And every little while i smell it, and it is smelling more and more like apple ... seems as though we may have found a fix for my acclimation issue ... but I am not getting too excited ... wink.gif

good luck John!

p.s. Can I have the rest of your Nakhla when you start smoking only Tangiers? Hahaha! Kidding!

Dibs on Mattarios' Nakhla!

Momatik: Sometimes lack of flavor is acclimation related, sometimes too much coal, sometimes it comes from using a hookah that is unclean, usually a Mya or something with a common chambered bell. Give me some more details.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Aug 30 2009, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Momatik: Sometimes lack of flavor is acclimation related, sometimes too much coal, sometimes it comes from using a hookah that is unclean, usually a Mya or something with a common chambered bell. Give me some more details.

My set up is:
-KM Amer
-2 CH coals
-Small Phunnel
-Nammor hose
-Room temp. water, no ice or anything.

I keep my stuff pretty clean, and I'm pretty sure I'm packing it correctly, because it smokes well. No harshness at all, and thick clouds. I also tried cutting the coals in half and adding them slowly. Same result. The tobacco smells like it should, no soy-sauce smell or anything like that.

I think this new method might work, because every time I tried to smoke it, I took the shisha straight airing it out into the bowl. I'll probably order some more of the OG line and give it a shot; especially if Mattarios has positive results.

Haha if I can get tang to work I will only smoke nakhla and tang, simple as that, no way I will ever get rid of my nak ...

So neither of you will get my nakhla stash ... bishes!

The longer it sits in the tub closed the more it is smelling like apple, and getting much sweeter. It's been capped for ummm about 7 hours now, if by 10-11 pm it smells really sweet, I may just give it a go. We will see.

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Aug 31 2009, 07:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha if I can get tang to work I will only smoke nakhla and tang, simple as that, no way I will ever get rid of my nak ...

So neither of you will get my nakhla stash ... bishes!

Eric, if you hold...i'll kick and we'll make a run for it...50/50?

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Aug 30 2009, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Momatik: What flavor are we talking about here? What vendor did you get it from?

Shnozzberry and Tropical Punch from Neal.

Brambleberry from MNhookah.

Also got 50 grams of Blueberry from a cigar shop in Philly.

We got tropical punch to taste right (or so we think) once. After that it went back to it's tasteless state.

I've got some serious acclimation problems going on... Here is what Im working with:

1) Horchata
2) Pink Grapefruit
3) Peach Iced Tea
4) Vanilla
5) Cocoa
6) Brambleberry

All of my Noir Line Tangiers. Thus far I have had no sessions that I belive would qualify as "up to par" and have tried with minimal at best success to acclimate all of these properly. I have had very minor success with Brambleberry with a slight twang of berry flavor one session but nothing to write home about yet. I have tried simply letting my tobacco sit out for days and the 24 hour method where the container is open at the time of smoking it 24 Hours prior with no success yet. I have watched and rewatched John's packing video and duplicated it as best as I ould with my Small Tangiers Phunnel including the foil test and pressing down the shisha. On a side note purchased all of these flavors for H-S fairly recently and have yet to smell them as they should smell. They all smell like BBQ Sauce or burnt. I simply cant figure out what Im doing wrong and I want so bad to experience the famed amazing Tangiers Session! I know there has to be more to it than all the hype so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chaz, have you tried sealing up a flavor, then packing up your phunnel with foil / holes, then leaving the PHUNNEL itself out where you are smoking ONE HOUR prior to putting coals on it? So, if you are going to smoke outside, leave the phunnel outside for an hour.

QUOTE (Ralleac @ Aug 31 2009, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's the procedure? I just received mine today. The move has gone well, thanks.

This is the procedure

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Aug 30 2009, 05:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A few of you PMed me. We'll try the 4/20 acclimation first. Pick a flavor. Make a note of which flavor it is. Open it around the time you normally would smoke. Open it, smell it. Put it in the tub you are going to store it in. Leave it open for four hours. Smell it again. Seal it up for 20 hours. Open it, smell it, leave it open for four hours, smell again. PM me with what you smell. If it smells smokeable at some point, give it a go and let me know how that goes...

QUOTE (newjacksm @ Aug 30 2009, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Ralleac @ Aug 31 2009, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's the procedure? I just received mine today. The move has gone well, thanks.

This is the procedure

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Aug 30 2009, 05:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A few of you PMed me. We'll try the 4/20 acclimation first. Pick a flavor. Make a note of which flavor it is. Open it around the time you normally would smoke. Open it, smell it. Put it in the tub you are going to store it in. Leave it open for four hours. Smell it again. Seal it up for 20 hours. Open it, smell it, leave it open for four hours, smell again. PM me with what you smell. If it smells smokeable at some point, give it a go and let me know how that goes...

Ah, thanks. I overlooked that post.