Acclimation Issues With Tangiers By Sonthert

QUOTE (redjako @ Aug 30 2009, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chaz, have you tried sealing up a flavor, then packing up your phunnel with foil / holes, then leaving the PHUNNEL itself out where you are smoking ONE HOUR prior to putting coals on it? So, if you are going to smoke outside, leave the phunnel outside for an hour.

I havent tried this yet... I am just afraid from the way that it smells that it wont be able to recover iktself within an hour's time but I guess I have nothing to lose and will give it a go next time Im feeling brave! Thanks red

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so here are some photos of my packing. Keep in mind it definitely was not acclimated. I am goin to do the 4/20 again. I did about 4/13 thinking it was long enough. But it smelt slightly like apple, didn't have a strong smell at all, mainly smelt like tobacco. But even if it isn't acclimated I should still be able to get good clouds right? So it leads me to believe i am packing incorrectly somewhere. Keep in mind it has been quite some time since i've fooled with this Tangiers scene.

Here is pack number 1, which I think I got waaaay too excited with and packed it too dense. I got small clouds, probably 25% the size they should be. No tickle in the throat, no harsh smoke, and no flavor (i think that was caused from it not being acclimated)

The juices boiled over in 1 hole, so that leads me to beleive it may have been over packed in a spot or two ... but the rest of the bowl was fine. I think the problem is i am packing it too dense. I fork it into the bowl, and then lightly press down on it. So i don't know i thought it looked pretty good, but when I smoked it it was no good. If it is unacclimated can that cause bad smoke? Or just no/bad flavor?

I got my shisha on Friday. When I opened one of the packages, it smelled exactly like watermelon, but for some reason, the number on the package indicates it's supposed to be banana. I still think it's watermelon. Eric, I know there's an unofficial flavor list including numbers on the forum, any chance we can get an official one?

Anyway, when I opened it, it smelled phenomenal! I decided to pack a bowl in case I lost all flavor through acclimation, which has happened to me last time. The bowl smoked good and tasted pretty good, although there was a slightly strong taste of tobacco. I sealed it up and started my acclimation process. Will keep you posted.

By the way, I might mention, this is the first OG flavor I've recieved that's smelled good straight out of the package. Everything else has never smelled right, even after days, weeks, even months of acclimation. I don't know if it's a batch thing or whatever, but I do know I just threw out 500g of pineapple and tropical revenge because after about six months of acclimating, it still smelled like buttholes. Edited by ih303

If you're using the HJ coals on a mini, I would use 3 halves instead of 2. You look like you're using 2 halves and a little piece of another. If you're using coconaras, I would use 2 full coals set on their sides, once you get some smoke time in and the coals ash a little bit, set them on their face side to get fuller clouds.

Yes, I believe acclimation only affects the flavor component and to some extent the whole "tickle in the back of the throat" phenomena.

QUOTE (ih303 @ Aug 31 2009, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got my shisha on Friday. When I opened one of the packages, it smelled exactly like watermelon, but for some reason, the number on the package indicates it's supposed to be banana. I still think it's watermelon. Eric, I know there's an unofficial flavor list including numbers on the forum, any chance we can get an official one?

Anyway, when I opened it, it smelled phenomenal! I decided to pack a bowl in case I lost all flavor through acclimation, which has happened to me last time. The bowl smoked good and tasted pretty good, although there was a slightly strong taste of tobacco. I sealed it up and started my acclimation process. Will keep you posted.

By the way, I might mention, this is the first OG flavor I've recieved that's smelled good straight out of the package. Everything else has never smelled right, even after days, weeks, even months of acclimation. I don't know if it's a batch thing or whatever, but I do know I just threw out 500g of pineapple and tropical revenge because after about six months of acclimating, it still smelled like buttholes.

Have you kept the tobacco out that long? If so it's no wonder you're having no success acclimating. The moisture in the tobacco leaf has probably been sapped. No one who's had acclimation troubles ever has any more success acclimating for weeks on end. I usually acclimate over night (1 night, not 5) or go for the new method of 4 hours open container, then close for the other 20.

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Aug 31 2009, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you're using the HJ coals on a mini, I would use 3 halves instead of 2. You look like you're using 2 halves and a little piece of another. If you're using coconaras, I would use 2 full coals set on their sides, once you get some smoke time in and the coals ash a little bit, set them on their face side to get fuller clouds.

Yes, I believe acclimation only affects the flavor component and to some extent the whole "tickle in the back of the throat" phenomena.

I am using coconaras ... you say I should use 2 whole cocos on their side, then drop them flat when they ash over once ... ok will try that.

As for the pack, how does it look?

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Aug 30 2009, 03:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A few of you PMed me. We'll try the 4/20 acclimation first. Pick a flavor. Make a note of which flavor it is. Open it around the time you normally would smoke. Open it, smell it. Put it in the tub you are going to store it in. Leave it open for four hours. Smell it again. Seal it up for 20 hours. Open it, smell it, leave it open for four hours, smell again. PM me with what you smell. If it smells smokeable at some point, give it a go and let me know how that goes...

I got Passionfruit Lined up for this! Report back in a couple of days.

QUOTE (newjacksm @ Aug 31 2009, 01:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Ralleac @ Aug 31 2009, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's the procedure? I just received mine today. The move has gone well, thanks.

This is the procedure

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Aug 30 2009, 05:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A few of you PMed me. We'll try the 4/20 acclimation first. Pick a flavor. Make a note of which flavor it is. Open it around the time you normally would smoke. Open it, smell it. Put it in the tub you are going to store it in. Leave it open for four hours. Smell it again. Seal it up for 20 hours. Open it, smell it, leave it open for four hours, smell again. PM me with what you smell. If it smells smokeable at some point, give it a go and let me know how that goes...

I will have an update as how to how this procedure worked out tonight around 9pm EST

Oh and for the acclimation with apple, I decided to try it because when i snuck a smell from the tub it smelled pretty good, but after leaving it open for 3-4min, it started to smell weaker less sweet and more like tobacco. So today is the full 20 hour sealed deal!

I started acclimating pink grapefruit today ( was a good 60-70degree day on LI with very light humidity 50%) the 4/20 way of course.
When the 4 hours was up it smelled great, no horrible tobacco smell or perfume smell so I decided to pack it in a bowl. I am smoking it now, the flavor isn't slap me in the face there but it is there. I am not getting the cigar feeling on the side of my cheeks so I feel like I almost got it already. I will leave it out again for 4 hours again tomorrow and repeat.

I did the foil test and it was perfect.

P.S. I did get some charcoal taste on one side of the bowl when I was smoking for about 15 min and rotated the coals and got full flavor.

I am using 1/4 exoticas. The flavor did wither down after about 5 min but it's still great. I feel like the flavor should be more punch you in the face not what I am getting which is more of an undertone flavor.

Clouds are huge. Edited by newjacksm

UPDATE: I had the tub open from 8-12PM last night, then closed it from 12PM to 8:15PM now total of 20 hours and 15 minutes, smells just like it did before i closed it. Faint apple smell, and that is it. No tobacco smell anymore, just a faint apple smell. Hoping if i leave it open for another four hours till 12PM I may be able to smoke it ... if not, I will close it back up for another 20 hours.

Pretty amazing thread, I read all 14 pages worth today. I'm pretty glad that I fall into the "haven't had problems ever" category. Also glad to find out this may be due to my lackadaisical approach to acclimation (dump shisha in a gladware tub, let it sit for a while before smoking).

One further note. I recall a great number of people having "ketchup" issues with AF Grape that continued for over a year -- including me. I never saw any response in any forum or email from an Al Fakher official at any level, let alone the President of the company. I think this thread qualifies as a stupendous customer service effort from Tangiers. Well done.

I think I'll toast it with a large bowl of White Grape tongue.gif Edited by vegasvic

Ok so apple still smells, eh, has apple smell to it but it isn't strong and doesn't smell up the room.

I decided to open cocoa, right away my entire basement smell like brownies and chocolate. I let it sit for 45 min because it smelt so good, packed a bowl like the above pictures. I got much much better smoke than the apple, no tickle, no burn in the throat, had decent flavor at best. Wasn't awesome, but you knew it was a chocolate type flavor. Pleased with how quickly that one started to smell really good, I could smell it a floor above where it was acclimating.

Question with cocoa, should it not smell like alcohol when it is fully acclimated? I could smell an alcohol twinge to the flavor. When it sat for a while it smelt like a smooth cocoa flavor, once i stirred it, it smelt like alcohol and brownies ... so I am assuming that also needs more acclimation.

But I am making strides, better and better every bowl. Tonight was attempt number two and i am seeing improvements so I AM pretty happy.

I used 3 .5 pieces of cocos and the smoke was ok, added another .5 to total to 2 cocos and the smoke was pretty good. I do believe I am packing it too tight but I will wait for Eric to chime in on the pictures of the packing.

That is all for now.

alright. got my samples saturday, but didn't take them out of the mailbox until late sunday (i didn't know that they were in the mailbox and i haven't been on the forums in a while so i didn't even know i had this coming my way - nice surprise, thanks Eric!)

i just got caught up on the last 6 or so pages that i had missed out on.

tomorrow (actually tonight/tuesday) i will begin the process.

i think i'll start off with the white grape. i got one in the full deal packaging that's kashmir cherry. and according to the wiki here (and pairing them with the numbers) i got white grape (as previously mentioned), cactus fruit, and passionfruit.

i'll keep you all updated!

I acclimated the cactus fruit for 4 hours last night, and left it sealed for 20 hours. I honestly don't know what a cactus fruit smells like, but the shisha smells good. I had a little trouble getting the bowl to smoke without coughing at first, but after packing more shisha into the bowl and redoing the foil I had a good session for about 30 minutes. I set it up with 3 rings of holes and 1.5 jap style coals cut into halves on a large H-S phunnel. After taking a break I tried to start it up again with 1.5 more coals, but the smoke was pretty harsh. I might try 2 halves next time. Edited by Ralleac

QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Aug 31 2009, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you kept the tobacco out that long? If so it's no wonder you're having no success acclimating. The moisture in the tobacco leaf has probably been sapped. No one who's had acclimation troubles ever has any more success acclimating for weeks on end. I usually acclimate over night (1 night, not 5) or go for the new method of 4 hours open container, then close for the other 20.

I only had it for so long because I couldn't bring myself to throw away 500g of shisha.

My acclimation process for those two involved dumping both packages into their own tupperware containers and leaving them out, uncovered, stirring when I thought about it. The problem was, those two flavors never smelled right, not even when they were first opened. They always had an overpowering tobacco smell. I would check them every day to see if they were getting better, but they weren't. Hours turned to days, days turned to weeks, weeks to months. I tried resealing them, freezing them, everything I could find on the forums - nothing worked.

Keep in mind the only flavor I had any degree of success with was my first flavor - orange soda. That one acclimated for six weeks before it was even smokeable, and even then had a very strong smell/flavor of tobacco. It used to make me sick and almost caused me to give up on OG Tangy forever.

Packed another bowl of Tangiers coco last night, and based on how a quick smell of cocoa today is smelling, last night it definitely wasn't fully acclimated. I packed it again sorta like the photos above, but not nearly as tight ... i packed it more like my nakhla tutorial found here : http://www.hookahforum.com/?showtopic=31762 with i'd say ... 10g more than what you see in the bowl of the tutorial. I am starting to think that you DONT have to pack the crap out of Tangiers, but where you pack the tobacco ... it must have no air pockets, and must be packed reasonably tight ... the lighter i pack it, the thicker the clouds get, and if anything, the flavor gets better.

I just get confused because I watch hookahjohn/Eric's video ...and then I look at my nakhla tutorial (many tang smokers have told me to do exactly what I do for nakhla in the tutorial) and even though Eric is using a medium in his video it looks like waaaaay more tobacco being packed than my nakhla tutorial.

Should I really try packing that little of tobacco in the bowl with tangiers?

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Sep 1 2009, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Packed another bowl of Tangiers coco last night, and based on how a quick smell of cocoa today is smelling, last night it definitely wasn't fully acclimated. I packed it again sorta like the photos above, but not nearly as tight ... i packed it more like my nakhla tutorial found here : http://www.hookahforum.com/?showtopic=31762 with i'd say ... 10g more than what you see in the bowl of the tutorial. I am starting to think that you DONT have to pack the crap out of Tangiers, but where you pack the tobacco ... it must have no air pockets, and must be packed reasonably tight ... the lighter i pack it, the thicker the clouds get, and if anything, the flavor gets better.

I just get confused because I watch hookahjohn/Eric's video ...and then I look at my nakhla tutorial (many tang smokers have told me to do exactly what I do for nakhla in the tutorial) and even though Eric is using a medium in his video it looks like waaaaay more tobacco being packed than my nakhla tutorial.

I never pack a lot of Tang in the bowl. I can't really give you a measurement, but I just pick up some with my fingers, put it in the bowl, jam my thumb in there to push it down, and keep going around until it's level/a little bit above the center ring.

Matto,

I have every tangiers bowl from Large down thru the Mini. I have never gotten a good tasty tangiers noir session from anything smaller than a medium bowl. Ive had a good chocomint session in a small tangiers bowl, but that's becuase the flavor itself is a overpowering flavor, much like any mint.

To get full flavor, ive always used Medium and large funnel bowls. The smaller the bowl, the less tobacco you use, and in tangiers case it isnt necessarily the best thing. I think Eric himself said that tangiers needs lots of tobacco to really pull some tasty plumbs of smoke.

Next bowl you pack, use a larger bowl, Medium if you have one. I LOVE my mini for nakhla tho, so im with ya there.

hmm i believe the bigger the bowl the better the flavor ... but i don't know if I am going to agree completely. Many people on this forum use smalls, and many use minis for their tang and have reported no issues, other than that some people say it is harder to manage heat on a smaller bowl. Maybe you are using too much heat on your small and mini hence why you are getting lack of flavor?

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Sep 1 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i packed my og and lucid bowls with this method and i get close to the same clouds eric was producing in the vid. in reality it isn't a lot of tobacco its more just lighter packing?