Really Basic Question

So reading reviews on this site for years, a few people (especially Stuie) mention sensing certain flavors on the inhale. I get NOTHING on the inhale, regardless of what I'm smoking. All flavor is on the exhale. This goes for every pipe I've smoked from, at home and outside, every kind of coal, hose, tobacco, and head imaginable. To me this is normal. Are most of you like me? Or are some of you super nargile-monsters like Stuie who have two-way mu'assal tasting powers?

[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1300137898' post='501448']
So reading reviews on this site for years, a few people (especially Stuie) mention sensing certain flavors on the inhale. I get NOTHING on the inhale, regardless of what I'm smoking. All flavor is on the exhale. This goes for every pipe I've smoked from, at home and outside, every kind of coal, hose, tobacco, and head imaginable. To me this is normal. Are most of you like me? Or are some of you super nargile-monsters like Stuie who have two-way mu'assal tasting powers?
[/quote]

were you ever a cigarette smoker? I've never smoked cigarettes before (I tried a clove one once when I was 13 blech) and I can taste the flavor on the inhale. It's not as strong; but its there. My BF who is an ex smoker cannot. He mentioned that smoking killed a lot of sensitivity in his tastebuds and nose. Not sure on the truth of that but that's what he told me.

No. Never smoked real cigs. I smoke a cigar a few times a year, and cloves VERY rarely, but no, I'm not really a smoker except nargile.

[quote name='Allstar' timestamp='1300140508' post='501457']
Trying putting the tip of your tongue near the tip of the hose. Your sweet taste buds are located on the tip of your tongue. This helps me out. Maybe it will work for you.
[/quote]

This or use your teeth as a "filter". In other words, inhale so the smoke has to pass through your teeth. Or direct the smoke towards the roof of your mouth...

Either three of these variations should allow you to taste the flavor better on the inhale.

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1300144220' post='501465']
[quote name='Allstar' timestamp='1300140508' post='501457']
Trying putting the tip of your tongue near the tip of the hose. Your sweet taste buds are located on the tip of your tongue. This helps me out. Maybe it will work for you.
[/quote]

This or use your teeth as a "filter". In other words, inhale so the smoke has to pass through your teeth. Or direct the smoke towards the roof of your mouth...

Either three of these variations should allow you to taste the flavor better on the inhale.
[/quote]

good to know [url="http://www.hookahforum.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=2&t=41477&qpid=501465#"]:thewave:[/url]

So reading reviews on this site for years, a few people (especially Stuie) mention sensing certain flavors on the inhale. I get NOTHING on the inhale, regardless of what I'm smoking. All flavor is on the exhale. This goes for every pipe I've smoked from, at home and outside, every kind of coal, hose, tobacco, and head imaginable. To me this is normal. Are most of you like me? Or are some of you [b]super nargile-monsters like Stuie[/b] who have two-way mu'assal tasting powers?
[/quote]

I must be! I think most flavors have two different tastes on the way in and the way out.

[quote name='Epoch' timestamp='1300150192' post='501493']
[/quote]

[i][b]I must be! I think most flavors have two different tastes on the way in and the way out.[/b][/i]
[/quote]

This is what Stuie and a couple other people have said in reviews. I have never experienced that

Taste is mostly smell, so it makes sense that flavor is more prominent on the exhale, when the smoke has a chance to hit the olfactory nerves.

Funny... I was just thinking about this subject when i was chillin' at the lounge today. I can taste some sweetness and a little flavor on the inhale but more of the taste is on the exhale. If I'm not paying attention, like when I'm with friends having conversation I don't notice anything on the inhale because my attention is elsewhere. The exhale I can't help but notice. My point is that I really have to pay attention if I want to taste anything on the inhale.

Also I agree with Allstar about let the smoke hit your sweet tastebuds. Though you make have burned your tastebuds with habenero hot sauce... maybe you have to give up spicy food for 2 weeks ;)
))

[quote name='Epoch' timestamp='1300150192' post='501493']
So reading reviews on this site for years, a few people (especially Stuie) mention sensing certain flavors on the inhale. I get NOTHING on the inhale, regardless of what I'm smoking. All flavor is on the exhale. This goes for every pipe I've smoked from, at home and outside, every kind of coal, hose, tobacco, and head imaginable. To me this is normal. Are most of you like me? Or are some of you [b]super nargile-monsters like Stuie[/b] who have two-way mu'assal tasting powers?
[/quote]

I must be! [b] I think most flavors have two different tastes on the way in and the way out.[/b]
[/quote]

slightly different. taste on the exhale is definitely more prominent.

You've smoked AF DA before right? No taste there?

That is the only shisha so far that I have really tasted it on the inhale. Other than that, its really been just the scent of the tobacco that I smell when inhaling.

would someone care to explain to my why the smoke going over your tongue one way would not have the same effect of it going over my tongue the other way? The smoke is in your mouth in contact with your entire tongue, tip on back in both directions simply by being in your mouth. Plus the taste buds are distributed all over your tongue. See article linked. as it says, if sweet is in the tip, why can you taste salt there as well?

http://www.livescience.com/7113-tongue-map-tasteless-myth-debunked.html

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1300224874' post='501596']
would someone care to explain to my why the smoke going over your tongue one way would not have the same effect of it going over my tongue the other way? The smoke is in your mouth in contact with your entire tongue, tip on back in both directions simply by being in your mouth. Plus the taste buds are distributed all over your tongue. See article linked. as it says, if sweet is in the tip, why can you taste salt there as well?

[url="http://www.livescience.com/7113-tongue-map-tasteless-myth-debunked.html"]http://www.livescien...h-debunked.html[/url]
[/quote]

The only reason I would think of is that I inhale much quicker than I exhale.

I've noticed it using the tongue trick too. But I also notice flavor on the inhale occasionally without it. Oddly, I almost always notice mint on the inhale,. no matter if it't by itself or mixed with another flavor. Guess I'm just sensitive to mint.

[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1300219461' post='501586']
You've smoked AF DA before right? No taste there?

That is the only shisha so far that I have really tasted it on the inhale. Other than that, its really been just the scent of the tobacco that I smell when inhaling.
[/quote]

AF Da yes, though not much. Haven't paid attention at the time. I'm a Nakhla DA man

[url="http://www.livescience.com/7113-tongue-map-tasteless-myth-debunked.html"]http://www.livescien...h-debunked.html[/url]
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the specific areas of taste on the tongue are legit, I've noticed it.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1300232209' post='501612']

The only reason I would think of is that I inhale much quicker than I exhale.
[/quote]

I often inhale very slowly, still no dice. Tried all the tooth and tongue stuff today, I think any taste was just my imagination

[/quote]

I don't think it's so much going over the tongue a certain way, or hitting one specific point. I feel like if you point the smoke at the tip of your tongue, it will subsequently roll over the rest of your tongue and utilize ALL of your taste buds rather than just dumping the smoke in the back of your throat (twss).