Really Basic Question

I get flavor on the inhale, but very little.As others have said, i find the exhale packs the flavor punch.

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1300224874' post='501596']
would someone care to explain to my why the smoke going over your tongue one way would not have the same effect of it going over my tongue the other way? The smoke is in your mouth in contact with your entire tongue, tip on back in both directions simply by being in your mouth. Plus the taste buds are distributed all over your tongue. See article linked. as it says, if sweet is in the tip, why can you taste salt there as well?

[url="http://www.livescience.com/7113-tongue-map-tasteless-myth-debunked.html"]http://www.livescien...h-debunked.html[/url]
[/quote]

Because when you inhale you're breathing in faster and the smoke goes straight to your lungs.....whereas the exhale is slower and it rolls off the tongue therefore you get more of the "taste."

My $.02 Edited by Cloud9

[quote name='ukhookah' timestamp='1300499427' post='502052']
I don't think smoking using your teeth as a filter would be a good idea. It would just feel weird, never mind possibly increasing the chances of staining your teeth more lol
[/quote]

I would see it as bad with the sugar deposits in shisha vapor...maybe its just glycerol though...I can see it in the purge valve on the ball bearing after a while of not cleaning it

[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1300523530' post='502066']
oh god, so what gets in the lungs then...
[/quote]

seems to me that whatever gets to the lung, our body can break it down. the year and a half I quit cigarettes, my lungs felt great and I was still smoking a few bowls of hookah a day...I've seen many mention of people not having their lungs effected from smoking hookah(people that work out)

As other have said, the only flavour I ever taste on the inhale is AF DA. Don't know why but no other flavour makes it's mark when I inhale........may be mint too but that's just because it's cool as hell and everything!

I also think that the thing with different areas on your tongue for different tastes is legit, at least that's what our science teacher told us in school.

[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1300137898' post='501448']
So reading reviews on this site for years, a few people (especially Stuie) mention sensing certain flavors on the inhale. I get NOTHING on the inhale, regardless of what I'm smoking. All flavor is on the exhale. This goes for every pipe I've smoked from, at home and outside, every kind of coal, hose, tobacco, and head imaginable. To me this is normal. Are most of you like me? Or are some of you super nargile-monsters like Stuie who have two-way mu'assal tasting powers?
[/quote]

I typically get a little on inhale, but yes, I get most of the flavor upon exhale. Were not freaks. At least I think were not. Lol

Your science teacher was teaching what was accepted at the time. Take salty, sweet, and sour and try them on the tip of your tongue. You will taste all 3.

WHat is going into your lungs is apparently 85% water vapour and Glycol. The rest is particulates and whatever chemicals are supplying the taste i guess.

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1300893063' post='502592']
Your science teacher was teaching what was accepted at the time. Take salty, sweet, and sour and try them on the tip of your tongue. You will taste all 3.

WHat is going into your lungs is apparently 85% water vapour and Glycol. The rest is particulates and whatever chemicals are supplying the taste i guess.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's the glycol I wonder about....