Exoticas Strike Again

well i got me a bad batch of exoticas, they arrived and smels like mildew, had white spots all over them. I took them into work and looked at them under a microscope and what did i find mildew growing on them. So just by having this one box wasted i am done with this coal, just wish MN still stocked nour coals.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the two boxes I just got from H-S was less than perfect too... some slight water damage on two of the box corners, but visibly the coals were fine. They just smell a little funny and burn hotter than usual, but no taste. Edited by gaia.plateau

bubba: as of right now only the coconara site sells them. h-s may get them in in the next few months once they try them out or the demand is good enough.

Idk, I like the exoticas better than coconaras. the coconaras i have to go through 8+ per medium phunnel where as for exoticas i use 1 and a half. so far i like both but i like the exoticas better.

Well I was about to order 4 boxes of Exoticas but yet another bad batch makes me put it on hold for now. I was going to order from MNH too...

hmm perhaps tarik doesnt sell as many? we have to remember that h-s has been around for a while and from i gather they push move alot of product quickly. so i can only assume that some may not have gotten to their bad boxes so they never knew what hit them.

The Canadian agent for coconara is a bit slow on correspondence... I'm trying to decide between ordering 3 packages for $18 + $28 shipping, or 10 packages for $60 + $36 shipping. I'm not convinced enough of the omnipotence of coconaras to commit to buying that much.

At this point I feel like bad exoticas are your own fault.. Its been over a month that people have been bitching so why buy em..

Its like saying "you have a 50% chance of getting kicked in the nuts... wanna play?" and then you complain about being kicked in the nuts (substitute punched in the tit for girls)

QUOTE (PhishPhood @ Feb 17 2008, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At this point I feel like bad exoticas are your own fault.. Its been over a month that people have been bitching so why buy em..

Its like saying "you have a 50% chance of getting kicked in the nuts... wanna play?" and then you complain about being kicked in the nuts (substitute punched in the tit for girls)

well many people do think the bad batches are all gone, which in reality may not be true. its a gamble and i think everyone knows that now so yeah as phish said no complaining. as for the white spots, a few of mine had those, they rub off and smoke fine so i would double check them and maybe try to smoke them?

QUOTE (thecoalition @ Feb 17 2008, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bubba: as of right now only the coconara site sells them. h-s may get them in in the next few months once they try them out or the demand is good enough.

Idk, I like the exoticas better than coconaras. the coconaras i have to go through 8+ per medium phunnel where as for exoticas i use 1 and a half. so far i like both but i like the exoticas better.

Thanks I will save my money then and stay with exoticas then. Gabe has been great to me and I am sure he will stay good. As of now I have never had a problem with Exotic imports.

I would like to try these coconaras just to see what everyone is talking about. I emailed the web page i will see what they say on pricing for me.

thanks
bubba

I still say that a lot more than the top 2 layers were damaged in that container. I'm still willing to bet the water dripped dopwn the sides of the container, damaging anything on the outer edges and pooled at the bottom, damaging many more. Why they didnt trash and collect the insurance on the whole shipment is beyond me. Or perhaps they did? hmm?

They probably got with the insurance company to estimate how much shipment was lost and then pay them accordingly. Insurance ALWAYS estimates down and underpays. So when he did get paid for the estimated loss, it wasnt near the real amount of damages. Then it comes out of Gabe's pocket to handle any future recalls. I dont really blame him for not taking the entire batch back because it would likely cost him his entire business. Think about 6 bucks a box at "X" number of boxes times "Y" number of cases and it adds up. Not a tiny number by any means.

It's NOT 6 bucks a box.

And if he doesn't cheap out and pays insurance on the actual cost of the shipment then he's properly covered. If he didn't insure it for the full value then he deaerves what he gets.

He's not just some poor schmuck web site stuck selling the crap to customers. He's the company that MAKES the damn stuff. There is no excuse for not standing by your product. Period.

I haven't had an issue yet w/ mine, but i'd be hella angry if I had mold on my coals!!! I don't blame you for being angry oggie!!!

I also agree with mush, he says the top layers, but water will pool in the bottom of the container. I'm sure at least double the amount of coals is ruined than he thinks. Hopefully I'll keep dodging the bullet though.

By He i mean exotica**** Edited by kornkitten42

got a pm from Gabe
"How are you? I am emailing you to let you know that the white stuff on Exoticas are not mildew. White spots are the binders that holds the coal together. There are no more bad coals on the market. That was 3 months ago and there was 60 cases. Since then we have had 3 containers of coals and quality control on the coals are a daily test. We assure you that bad coals no longer exist. Thanks
Gabriel
Exotic Imports USA
888 puff 123"

I knwo the dif from teh silver binder and mold, I can also tell the dif in smell and from the good box I have. I know it is my own gamble to get the boxes, but hey figure get something until it breaks, and to have a whole box smell of mildew, thats broken to me. Also From the outside of the box it does not look damaged, just the coals were very brittle, basically can break with my fingers, white spots of mildew not binder like gabe says, looked at it under a microscope. Same type of mildew that forms on cigars.