Exoticas Strike Again

Yes I have, when i first though it was nothing I used a stick, got sick after that day, then thats when i took it into work to look at it more closely. I immediately knew the smell and taste diff compared to a good box, the smell did put me off but i figured i would try them first.

Here are pics of my two boxes

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Oggie505 @ Feb 18 2008, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I have, when i first though it was nothing I used a stick, got sick after that day, then thats when i took it into work to look at it more closely. I immediately knew the smell and taste diff compared to a good box, the smell did put me off but i figured i would try them first.

Here are pics of my two boxes

you`re right, that`s definately mold. maybe you can send these pictures to gabe for a refund.

Those are some of the worst coals I have seen. The ones I saw in Chicago were just as bad. Makes me very worried about using the exotica I have left that do have some white spots on them. They do not let off much smell when lighting, but they burn really fast and are brittle like you have said. They are not damaged from shipping either. Do not fall for that crap. The only way they are going to be that bad is because they were bad to begin with, meaning they got wet. Cold weather has no effect on them. My video has proven that and I had coals that were sent on the 24th of Jan, bot here on the 7th of Feb and they are fines. Also that was during some of the worst weather we have had here in the States.

All the bad coals are accounted for my ass. Gabe you are so full of it. I will be using another brand from now on. Looks like I will have to try some Nours.

Here is an update,

Gabe says those are normal, but to each his own I think they r not when i got 2 good boxes sitting on my shelf. Also I email MN and they said they will check all of their boxes to make sure they do not have anymore of them. Traik also said he would give me a free box on my next order, which is cool because I did not ask for a refund, I take it as getting a bad batch of shisha it happens, some more frequent than others, kind of the problem with AF grape, it s a gamble now if one gets something bad

Normal for what? Mold? then yes it is normal then. I would not blame Tarik at all for this. He is a great guy to work with. The fault is with the coals. The are very inconsistent. Also as Mush has said and I have said for a long time now but nobody acknowledged it, The whole freakin container should have been destroyed. That amount of moisture that got in the container would have wrecked all the coals if they show signs of wetness or not.

I have boxes that have really good coals in them, then I get a row or 2 that are very brittle and burn extremely fast. Cool Tarik has already offered up replacements.

Oh yeah, if they are normal tell Gabe to try them out...

Wow for the picture those are completely and utterly bad and if he can't just admit that, then thats just low come on, just look at those? Honestly he has no idea how to run a business and how to keep customers, i would be sending you 2 free boxes for your troubles if i was in his position, but thats just me.

Tarik's a great guy - and show's he has gone out of his way,again, for his customers.

However Gabe's responses are very much 'head-in-sand' currently. Which is tragic for a coal that can actually perform rather well. I don't really understand american business procedures and ethics, but the way Gabe is acting, and has acted, would destroy him in the UK.

JD Edited by Johnny_D

Well in my first posts and i still abide I do not want to blame anyone because it could of happened anywhere form china, to gabe, to MN. But for Gabe to not even agree with most people who see the pics is weird. Also JD Tarik said he is checking all his boxes so i am sure if u order from him they will be good. I am glad i emailed him to let him know.

I do not want anything free from gabe, even told tarik i was not looking for a freebee, he did it out of his kindness

Now Gabe hs not given me any response why the two pics are completely different, if the white as ones are normal then the ones without it are not normal??

Reading this thread really makes me uncomfortable. I love exoticas. I've only gone through about 2 boxes so far and about to order a couple more. I am a fan of the product's performanc, bottom line. I've tried almost all of the quick lights and have used the coconut coals. Coconut coals were good, but i thought the exoticas burned a little more consistently. Then I come on here and read that the product is STILL producing these types of problems. How long ago did the shipment get wet? 3 months ago or so? And they still haven't gotten the problem under control? fuck that. Either you have a horrible company policy in terms of quality control or your product is defective. If you're a new company and you're promoting your new product (exoticas) and trying to get a good rep for yourself and you get a bad batch out there, how in the hell do you keep shipping out your poor product? That has to be the most retarded thing I have ever heard. JD, i agree with you completely, he would be destroyed and I think he will be soon in the US with this kind of behavior.

This brings to mind a situation with a company not too long ago. In the recent past a large company made a mistake. JetBlue overbooked flights around the holidays. People were fucking PISSED! I couldn't believe a large company like that could be negligent enough to make an error like that. Then something happened and I have more respect for that company that almost any other company in any other industry and will be loyal to them as long as I can. They called a press conference not even 2 days later and the PRESIDENT and CEO (not some public relations shmuck) came up to the podium and said "I'm sorry". He admitted to the company's negligence and gave a SINCERE apology. He refunded everybody that was affected and gave them all something like a 100 dollar coupon for food or drinks on their airline. Gabe.... take notes. When something is not kosher with your company, the worst thing is to deny. We can see the coals for ourselves and we are not stupid. Do you expect to say that they are ok and for us to shove our thumbs up our ass and say "OK Gabe. I believe You. Thanks for telling me that these oddly colored, bad smelling, moldy coals are ok. Can you tell me how to poop too?". Man-up gabe. Your company is nothing without us (the consumer). remember that.

WQhat I can't believe is that Companies are still carrying this stuff. If I kept having to replace tem for pissed off customers and the manufacturer wasn't copvering my expenses I'd be unwilling to take the risk of selling them. Bad for my company's reputation for one thing.

QUOTE (gaia.plateau @ Feb 17 2008, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Canadian agent for coconara is a bit slow on correspondence... I'm trying to decide between ordering 3 packages for $18 + $28 shipping, or 10 packages for $60 + $36 shipping. I'm not convinced enough of the omnipotence of coconaras to commit to buying that much.

Apparently there are stores in MTL that carry coconaras. It takes the distributor a week to answet e-mails but he asked me about my postal code and promised to e-mail the nearest store location. Yupee smile.gif

QUOTE (mushrat @ Feb 18 2008, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WQhat I can't believe is that Companies are still carrying this stuff. If I kept having to replace tem for pissed off customers and the manufacturer wasn't copvering my expenses I'd be unwilling to take the risk of selling them. Bad for my company's reputation for one thing.

I dont think the vendors are replacing them Mush, so far all I have heard is that there is nothing wrong with them according to the vendors and manufacturer. So they continue to carry them because they continue to sell.

QUOTE (BillySoCo7 @ Feb 18 2008, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reading this thread really makes me uncomfortable. I love exoticas. I've only gone through about 2 boxes so far and about to order a couple more. I am a fan of the product's performanc, bottom line. I've tried almost all of the quick lights and have used the coconut coals. Coconut coals were good, but i thought the exoticas burned a little more consistently. Then I come on here and read that the product is STILL producing these types of problems. How long ago did the shipment get wet? 3 months ago or so? And they still haven't gotten the problem under control? fuck that. Either you have a horrible company policy in terms of quality control or your product is defective. If you're a new company and you're promoting your new product (exoticas) and trying to get a good rep for yourself and you get a bad batch out there, how in the hell do you keep shipping out your poor product? That has to be the most retarded thing I have ever heard. JD, i agree with you completely, he would be destroyed and I think he will be soon in the US with this kind of behavior.

This brings to mind a situation with a company not too long ago. In the recent past a large company made a mistake. JetBlue overbooked flights around the holidays. People were fucking PISSED! I couldn't believe a large company like that could be negligent enough to make an error like that. Then something happened and I have more respect for that company that almost any other company in any other industry and will be loyal to them as long as I can. They called a press conference not even 2 days later and the PRESIDENT and CEO (not some public relations shmuck) came up to the podium and said "I'm sorry". He admitted to the company's negligence and gave a SINCERE apology. He refunded everybody that was affected and gave them all something like a 100 dollar coupon for food or drinks on their airline. Gabe.... take notes. When something is not kosher with your company, the worst thing is to deny. We can see the coals for ourselves and we are not stupid. Do you expect to say that they are ok and for us to shove our thumbs up our ass and say "OK Gabe. I believe You. Thanks for telling me that these oddly colored, bad smelling, moldy coals are ok. Can you tell me how to poop too?". Man-up gabe. Your company is nothing without us (the consumer). remember that.

*slow clap* point well made. I heart Mold

QUOTE (Huskysibe @ Feb 18 2008, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mushrat @ Feb 18 2008, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont think the vendors are replacing them Mush, so far all I have heard is that there is nothing wrong with them according to the vendors and manufacturer. So they continue to carry them because they continue to sell.

There is certainly soemthing wrong wit them. Didn't Oggie say he was going to get a free box with his next shipment? It's clear from people's pictures that no amount of denial by Exotica Imports and certain vendors can change the fact that there are still bad coals out there. Plus He still owes me 5 cases he promised to replace and didn't. And mine are FROM the original damaged 2 layers. And I repete, there are probably twice as many damaged boxes than they are admitting to.

Sorry - First time i could see the pictures.

That is NOT normal. Shit. I've never seen any coal with that on.

Is Gabe seriously trying to tell us that is 'binder' or some shit?!?! Dear Sweet Mother of Jesus he must take us for fools.

I don't need no damn microscope to see that's mould.

JD

Question:
How can a container that has 1060 cases and only 60 distributed and 1000 in storage being held back until insurance company can come and pick up have more coals on the market. I dont get it. 1060 ases - 60 cases = 1000 cases. Just the exact amount of coals we have stored and claimed with the shipping company. We have 3 warehouses. 1 of which only has the exotica bads and the others are fully operating. So when people are stating bad, it is not bad, it is just something they think it is bad, like white spots, or it breaks. That is why we have redesigned the boxes starting next month to show people what is up. The new boxes will have small hanges to the outside of the boxes which will be released to you guys later.

I am not here to screw people about a case of bad coals and exetra. Remember, I was the one who publicly announced the bad coals and posted pics at a few places of what I mean is bad. Since that bad incident, we have had 3 containers and all sold with no problems and the next one coming is different and we also have made the coals stronger and will not crack.. Hope this answers everything...

We do what is right. We take care of our customers. We post updates and let you know if there is something wrong but now we are blocked and can not post public messages as I guess we were too honest. We will also update you on new products coming soon and give out samples but we can not have people telling us old news from 3 months ago and expect us to be like ok...... It is impossible to have bad stuff on the market, especially with all the quality control we have set up now. Thank you

Gabriel

I don't want to change the subject, but while the exotica bashing is going on..
"Exotica coals

Ease of Lighting: 8. As expected for a natural coal. These burn a rather long time.

Smell: 6. The packaging claims there is no smell, however there is a very light odor if you breathe it in close, although it doesn't SEEM toxic (more on this later).

Taste: 10. Can't argue about this one, almost no taste.

Ash: 9. One of the great things about this coal is its compactness and cohesiveness, and as such the ashes don't crumble off easily.

Other: This is easy to break, just use a crappy knife and etch a line all around the perimeter and break it.

NOTE**: Beware of these coals. I was smoking my second bowl in a row right after I got these. I was feeling a bit nauchious, dizzy, and I had a headache. I didn't think much of it until... BEEP BEEP BEEP the carbon monoxide detector goes off. This has never ever happened with any other coals I've used. To make sure this was due to the coals (only time the detector ever went off), I set up an experiment a couple days later. I burnt a whole stick and placed the carbon monoxide detector nearby with a new battery inserted. It took eight minutes for the carbon monoxide detector to go off this time. Many people will want to shrug this off as impossible, but if you care for your health you may want to try it yourself. Your choice.

Overall: 6/10. This really is a great coal other than for the obvious risk of CO poisoning... which in all seriousness is very harmful for the body. I have no bias against Exotica, for I just hope I am... somehow... wrong.

*First Post* here... thought people should be aware of the possible Carbon Monoxide danger with this coal."

from review section
CO poisoning is pretty serious and since i usually smoke inside i'd like to know if i should be worried.
has anyone done any further testing on this?

QUOTE (shoulinmonk @ Feb 18 2008, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't want to change the subject, but while the exotica bashing is going on..
"Exotica coals

Ease of Lighting: 8. As expected for a natural coal. These burn a rather long time.

Smell: 6. The packaging claims there is no smell, however there is a very light odor if you breathe it in close, although it doesn't SEEM toxic (more on this later).

Taste: 10. Can't argue about this one, almost no taste.

Ash: 9. One of the great things about this coal is its compactness and cohesiveness, and as such the ashes don't crumble off easily.

Other: This is easy to break, just use a crappy knife and etch a line all around the perimeter and break it.

NOTE**: Beware of these coals. I was smoking my second bowl in a row right after I got these. I was feeling a bit nauchious, dizzy, and I had a headache. I didn't think much of it until... BEEP BEEP BEEP the carbon monoxide detector goes off. This has never ever happened with any other coals I've used. To make sure this was due to the coals (only time the detector ever went off), I set up an experiment a couple days later. I burnt a whole stick and placed the carbon monoxide detector nearby with a new battery inserted. It took eight minutes for the carbon monoxide detector to go off this time. Many people will want to shrug this off as impossible, but if you care for your health you may want to try it yourself. Your choice.

Overall: 6/10. This really is a great coal other than for the obvious risk of CO poisoning... which in all seriousness is very harmful for the body. I have no bias against Exotica, for I just hope I am... somehow... wrong.

*First Post* here... thought people should be aware of the possible Carbon Monoxide danger with this coal."

from review section
CO poisoning is pretty serious and since i usually smoke inside i'd like to know if i should be worried.
has anyone done any further testing on this?

Might be doing something wrong as SO many people here use them and have never had that happen. Also if you do this while lighting and not after they are red hot it could happen...coals give off more CO when in the process of becoming fully lit.

They have a smell when they light, and when they are about 3/4 a way done i have to toss them and re-light some cause of the terrible atste. But in that middle period at the peak they are perfectly fine.

I have faith in the new formula that will be coming out soon.