Question About Your Local Hookah Lounge...

Just wondering if this is the norm for Hookah Lounge's around the states.

Here, the two hookah lounge's in Atlanta, both require a certain amount to be on a tab if you are going to smoke Hookah.

Now, I understand that this is because they don't want people just coming in off the streets and smoking hookah, they have to make money somehow. But, for my local lounges, they require $15 per person, not including the $15 hookah charge. Now, personally, this isn't a problem for me, I make decent (not great, decent) money, and can afford to spend $30 on a night out. But some of my close friends aren't as lucky. Friday night, we went to a local lounge, called Ibiza.

Now, this lounge is AMAZING. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this place. The atmosphere is great, they have a dance floor and live DJ something like 4 nights a week, they have belly dancers and salsa dancers, a full bar, and outside patio. It's an amazing environment. They also have "rooms" which are off the the side of the main room, broken down into booth type seating, a couple of which are indian style seating. (Ya know, you basically sit on a comfy floor with the table only a foot off the ground. (They don't allow hookah smoking in the booths anymore though, which is sad.)

So, I like the place, and don't mind that it's considered "upscale". But for my friends, I felt kind of bad. They were looking forward to going, and smoking hookah, but only had about $20 to spend between the two of them. (They're a couple) So, I ended up purchasing enough for the group. (My tab was $80) When you consider that there are two of them, and a hookah, they are required to have a minimum tab of $45 just to smoke hookah. So...

I was just wondering if this common practice.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats a lot of money. the local bars in chicago usually have a minimum of 7-10 dollars and it goes toward the price of the hookah

eg. 3 people X 7 dollars = total bill of 21 bucks

21 dollars - 12 dollar hookah = 9 bucks

The leftover 9 dollars can go to food/ drinks, etc.

Me and my friends go to this hookah lounge/bar not too far from here. I love this place as well, they make great asian food and the atmosphere is very nice. Lava lamps, t.vs, lounge chairs and couches all over. There is now a 1 drink minimum like most hookah lounges out here ($2 for a water), however the hookah is $20 itself... and they dont even pack it right anymore.

There is also another hookah bar/cafe 30 minutes away from here. Great place to chill, enjoy food, have something good to drink. However, it is very very expensive. The hookah used to be decent from what I heard from back in the day but someone with asthma smoked it and then sued the placed. So now they used small coals or something that doesn't out a lot of smoke... and they charge per person to share.

Then the last place I go to usually on a weekly basis is 40 minutes away or so from here right outside Rutgers University. There are 2 hookah bars on the same road. One is more grimey and not as nice as the other but it is still nice. Hookah is $7 for your own and they use wood coals, very good, you get ridiculously ripped.

At the local hookah bar here in San Antonio that I go to there is no minimum at all on how much you spend. You can also share a hookah between however many people you want. Price for the first hookah is $12 and for a new bowl of shisha it's $4. Not too bad at all...

At Smiley's during the day its half off from 11am to 4pm seven days a week. After 4pm it can cost from $12.50 for one person first bowl on us.Our heads hold 12g of shisha if you are with four friends it works out to 6.88 per person. Also your first bowl is free. First Bowl is always free at Smiley's Ultimate
Smiley

we have three hookah bars that i've been to. One is my regular, 10 bucks for whatever shisha, 15bucks for AF, foods not the worst i've had, service is good because I know the guys who work there. One drink minimum, and its3bucks a drink, no refills. Hookahs questionable at times.

The second is right below it, literally. Hookahs not too good, but they got booze, and good food.

The third is a half hour drive away. called the spot, anyone LA local should know of it. Great hookah (They use Al Waha) good service, free refills, great food. Great service, 17bucks for a premium, 15 for a regular, no share limits on any of the places.

in baltimore when I was with my ex we went to a couple spots, one as okay, the second was really chill, decent food, good hookah, 12bucks a hookah, wednesdays are 2 for one. No refills, again. no cover charges on any of them though.

Well I've been to three hookah bars around my area. Well technically 4 because two are a chain with the same place and setting and all.
My personal favorite is this one called the Sphinx cafe, it's actually an old church they bought and have 2 floors (the 2nd floor is VIP and costs a whopping $1 extra per person to go to haha but it's worth it). Basically everywhere I've been has some kind of big tv playing arabic music videos from some internetional channel. Between all places prices range from $8-14 depending on what quality shisha you want.

The one place I went to had a max of 2 people per hookah (though when me and two friends went they said nothing about it and we weren't charged extra, I just read something about their max people on their menu). The place that had the max amount of smokers per hookah wasn't too great, it was small, and had generally uncomfortable booths that weren't even padded, and also used mainly nahkla brand except for their top of the line stuff.

The two Sphinx cafe's around me though are truly great. There are pillows everywhere to sit on, and lined up against the wall, and as far as I know there's no maximum amount of smokers, prices range from $8 for lowest quality to $12 for highest and the only requirement is that everyone smoking must buy a drink (I always go with bottled water so it doesn't take away from the flavor and it's only $1.50). Between 3 people (which is usually how many I smoke with) it come out to about $18 which is $6 a person - very affordable.

The only other place I've been to isn't quite my cup of tea in terms of atmosphere. Their prices are in line with the others but it's much louder, sometimes with live acts like bands and such (usually rap music... bleh), and they also have wifi so you see a bunch of people on their laptops and such, and you place your order through a PDA thing... it's very starbucks like in my opinion and there's just not the 'chill' feeling I get with the other places. But yeah, I'll stop typing now.

All local to NOVA and VA beach are min charge of like 2.50. Basically you have to buy a drink and your golden. But damn 15 per person not including hookah, Im out.

as far as my lounge is concerned, we are just using the same rule, everyone buys a drink.

QUOTE (.cOLt.45. @ Feb 27 2007, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the american lounges have to many rules...the german loungeshave no requirements..you go in, tell em what you want...mix if you want to for free... no max smokers...nothing complicated..

Yeah, America in general is like that... so much for 'being free' lol. It's ludacris now some places are restricting outdoor smoking to certain areas or even banning outdoor smoking alltogether >.<

WOW! That's outrageous!

I have several Hookah Bars in Jacksonville.
1. Hookah's Kabob house- Decent atmosphere, restraunt/ bar- mix of continental food and middle eastern quizine
CRAPPY HOOKAHS! no cover charge, i think 15 per hookah, no max. Will not go there unless i absouletly have too...... belly dancers too....

2. Sahara's. decent atmosphere. Very tight and small. Great food, mostly Middle eastern quizine. Decent hookahs. Decent prices
like 12.00 per hookah. no max smokers, no min. tab. belly dancers

3. Kazbah Cafe- Amazing atmosphere, pretty good food. GREAT hookahs. anywhere from 10- to 15.00 per hookah depending if you want to blend flavors ect. No max person, no min tab, no specific time frames. If you come there before 6 you get half price alcohol and hookahs. Belly dancers , live bands great hang out spot. btw. The kibbie, and the gyro is amazing along with all the kabobs! the Taboulie isn't too shabby either.
I love it, i always end up spending like 60 for me and my fiance to have a night of fun and good food.

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS HOW COME NOBODY EVER MAKES THEIR OWN LEVEN (FLAT) BREAD???? DAMN IT..... SCREW PITA BREAD, I GET SO IRRITATED WHEN I HAVE TO SPEND HOURS UPON HOURS MAKING MY OWN! GRRRR.....

I don't like it but I know why businesses choose to have covers and/or minimum purchase requirements for hookahs... because people can be too tight for words.

However, Mejana restaurant here gives free hookah sessions Monday-Thursday with a 10 dollar purchase. They use Havana Tobacco. Now that the smoking ban is in effect, you GET NOTHING! Lame.

Back when you could smoke, I think it was 10 bucks a bowl.

Cafe Arabica is the closest to me, the prices are
Hookah $10
Sharing $5
New head $3
Additional coal $2
Premium flavors $15

On friday/saturday night they have i think a $5-$10 cover charge, i dont really like it, and they use hookah hookah tobacco. Edited by lilbrownindian

The hookah lounge that just opened up around here "oasis cafe" is really new and just on its training wheels per say...So the shisha and food not the best and they don't have there liquor license yet (It is comming soon though)...the prices are fair I think.

There is no minum other then that each person must order something which is fair and the hookah cost 10 dollars, unlimited friends so when you split up between five people some food, coffees or water and a couple of hookah's my group is splitting up usually around 30 dollars, 6 to 7 dollars per person...that and i go there alot so the owner and employee's know me and we get a free hookah here and there...

Its just so new that i am going to talk to the guy and get him to taste different brands and offer different qualities...downside is that its a big college area and you get stupid drunks coming in and being very insulting calling us hippies and such and don't know the proper ediquette

There are a couple in my area, one called Marrakech is a chill relaxed place most of the time, but recently its been crowded with High schoolers. Anywhom, their charge is between 6-12 bucks depending on how many people there are. No cover, they used to have amazing hummus until the smoking ban ended that. The other place, called ishtar, is a little cheaper, and not nearly as good.

QUOTE (SLF_1452_ @ Feb 28 2007, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are a couple in my area, one called Marrakech is a chill relaxed place most of the time, but recently its been crowded with High schoolers. Anywhom, their charge is between 6-12 bucks depending on how many people there are. No cover, they used to have amazing hummus until the smoking ban ended that. The other place, called ishtar, is a little cheaper, and not nearly as good.

Yeah, merrakesh is now up to a flat rate of 12 per hookah with a 3 per hookah max using layalina last i checked, and ishtar is 6 per hookah with a 2 per hookah max using al waha. It sucks that colorado now has a smoking ban and hookah lounges cant serve food anymore.

Man, I am never going to complain about hookah bars again!!! The Firefly is 9.95 per hookah, free coals, free sharing, and you have to buy a drink. Drinks are anywhere from 1.50 to 3 bucks. The hookah is decent, they use either hookah hookah or nakhla, but the atmosphere is amazing. I highly recommend checking out their site, fireflybar.com, and looking at the pics. That is my friday night, and sometimes saturday...

Wow, Firefly looks amazing.

I would love to go to a place like that...

Looks like Atlanta is just an expensive Hookah spot. Being that there are only 2 lounges in downtown Atlanta, I guess I can understand it.

If I ever am successful in opening my own lounge, I'll be sure to listen to everyone here's comments/concerns on minimum prices/covers etc.

The good thing I do have to say, is that they don't charge for extra coals, and they usually pack very full bowls. Last Friday night, we smoked for 2 1/2 hours on two hookahs, and they were both smoking well when we decided to leave.

Ok so at my lounge the prices cant be beat. First of all we are smoking Starbuzz. There is a maximum of 4 people to a hookah. And like the fruit flavors like sigle names like orange, grape etc... are 9 dollars and for like caramel mach and like custom mixes and like the starbuzz flavors thatr are not like normal you knoe are 12 bucks. They dont have a drink minimum though i always buy a pot of tea but they have good food. If you want and exrta hose or ice in your base or juice in base it is all extra but like when we go with my pot of tea its like 7 bucks just for me which is for a good hour and a half sometimes 2 . and the second bowl is cheaper. its a great place with great prices. Ohh and they use starbuzz so thats even more amazing