Bye Bye Cable

Stuie

Picked up a Roku 2 XS during Cyber Monday. One Step to closer to getting rid of cable. Ordering a Boxee After the first of the year just to have all my options. Love watching Hulu on my TV now!

Unfortuanetly TW is still the only real decent choice in Internet otherwise I would switch.

[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1354565926' post='563691']
I tried to google translate your post but it didn't work.

I'm old :(
[/quote]

Hahaha, I dont watch enough TV to justify any purchase like that. I do have netflix for the rare occasion that I have the desire to though.

Ashley. It's small Internet based boxes that stream Online Content to your TV, Netflix, Hulu, Disney, Vudu, Pandora, Live365 and other stuff. It's cheaper than paying for cable plus my kids can watch a lot more of the stuff they like, IE Seasame Street, Disney Junior, Penguins of Madagascar. All the Subscriptions still come out cheaper than paying for Time Warner. Nickle and dime you to DEATH!!!!!

Good on you! In the new year some time I might be getting rid of my satellite. It seems I just don't watch the news shows when they come out that often. I have been watching Walking Dead and Comic Book men every sunday, and when Game Of Thrones Starts i'll be back into that, but realistically, you can download an HD rip of a show an hour after it airs. I stream to my xbox and would have no issues doing that.

Yeah, I bought an HD antenna for local channels, will probably buy a Roku after the first of the year because I have Clear internet. My only other internet option in my area would have been Time-Warner and I hate those people. I had doubts about Clear but you know, it's actually really fast and I have the module that also provides a WiFi "hot spot" for my smart phone, and up to seven other devices. So it's a really good deal and it's been completely trouble free. I have a 24" computer screen so watching Hulu Plus right now is no problem at all on the computer. Roku will give me more channels but overall, I just can't see myself being trapped with either cable or satellite. Besides sitting like a lump in front of the TV really is one of the worst things we can do to our minds and bodies, so I'm intentionally rejecting the whole 200 channels plus nonsense cable and satellite try and push on you.

'Rani

we don't have cable at my place but one of my roommates has his roku set up in the living room. these things are pretty freaking awesome

I'm still bending over for Comcast... that may be changing soon, as I'm constantly hearing more and more about how great these Roku boxes are.

For internet I have AT&T DSL, which works well enough, but the speed sucks majority of the time. Unfortunately, the only other option is Comcast broadband, which when we had it was going out constantly, almost everyday. We use the internet a LOT, so that was not cutting it. Called them up, said fuck you, and switched to AT&T. I'd do the same with the cable but they are the only cable option here in Murfreesboro, and I'm not allowed to put a dish anywhere at my apts. It seems to me like that should be illegal, being limited to just one option. Technically it is according to the FCC (learned about it in media law class), but I'm sure there's some loophole they found that allows them to get away with it, so I haven't argued it with management... yet.

Is there a substantial benefit choosing a Roku over an AppleTV?

I'm getting rid of cable TV once football season is over. After than it's AppleTV or Roku. Edited by Arcane

No cable here either. Hulu and Netflix off my ps3. I also use Vudu for walking dead and other shows/movies sometimes but I hate spending money. (Good thing I use friends Hulu/Netflix accounts).

I'm about to get a cable for laptop to tv so I can watch the basketball games and various gaming events off my tv. To bad ps3 doesn't support NBA League Pass.

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1354571534' post='563721']
I'm still bending over for Comcast... that may be changing soon, as I'm constantly hearing more and more about how great these Roku boxes are.

For internet I have AT&T DSL, which works well enough, but the speed sucks majority of the time. Unfortunately, the only other option is Comcast broadband, which when we had it was going out constantly, almost everyday. We use the internet a LOT, so that was not cutting it. Called them up, said fuck you, and switched to AT&T. I'd do the same with the cable but they are the only cable option here in Murfreesboro, and I'm not allowed to put a dish anywhere at my apts. It seems to me like that should be illegal, being limited to just one option. Technically it is according to the FCC (learned about it in media law class), but I'm sure there's some loophole they found that allows them to get away with it, so I haven't argued it with management... yet.
[/quote]

Check into Clear, it might work for you. If you go to their website, you punch in your zip code and it tells you how good your service would be. If you have good 4G cell phone connections, you'd have good Clear connections.

'Rani

I only get cable during the fall, it's useless after football and before football. Plus its when all the good shows are on.

Am I the only the one that did the research and found that WDTV was the best out of the selection (wdtv, roku, appletv)? WDTV plays [i]all[/i] video formats, where as roku and apple cannot play mkv (which is the most common for HD files). Looking at the roku, it looks like you have to get the roku 2xs to be able to hook up a harddrive to it, otherwise you are using small sd cards (I have a 3tb hooked up to my WDTV). If all you have is apple products, then appletv is likely your best bet. But since I haven't hopped on that bandwagon yet, I was choosing between roku and wdtv and it seemed WDTV had better options than the highest roku had and I got it for $70+ taxes.

If you are looking into this market, check out the WDTV...I'm posting this seeing as no one has mentioned it up to this point.

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1354582096' post='563741']
[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1354571534' post='563721']

[/quote]

Check into Clear, it might work for you. If you go to their website, you punch in your zip code and it tells you how good your service would be. If you have good 4G cell phone connections, you'd have good Clear connections.

'Rani
[/quote]

I just checked and for basic it's $34.99 plus taxes per month, or $49.99 for the upper-tier plan. Too much for me compared to what I'm currently paying with AT&T DSL- $21.99 a month currently. That price is locked in for almost a year (I called them and haggled), so I dunno if I want to give it up so quickly.

DrSmokes, I'll be checking out WDTV as well.

I tried editing my post but it appears as I went to do that, you must have replied blocking me :P I wanted to update the post after researching it a lil more (so that way if I have friends or family looking into it, I can tell them what is best), going through their support section, since this isn't listed on the main site anywhere, it looks like MKV files are supported now whereas when I was looking, they were not supported. Either way, if you are looking at the 2xs, that is the only one that can compare to WDTV and I currently don't know the differences with them. IMO, AppleTV is out of the question unless you have all apple products. They restrict the various file formats that you can use with it the last I looked (which could have changed now). Definitely didn't support MKV 5 months ago when I was looking it up again to pick a product for my dad to put in their new house.

[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1354586626' post='563747']
I tried editing my post but it appears as I went to do that, you must have replied blocking me :P I wanted to update the post after researching it a lil more (so that way if I have friends or family looking into it, I can tell them what is best), going through their support section, since this isn't listed on the main site anywhere, it looks like MKV files are supported now whereas when I was looking, they were not supported. Either way, if you are looking at the 2xs, that is the only one that can compare to WDTV and I currently don't know the differences with them. IMO, AppleTV is out of the question unless you have all apple products. They restrict the various file formats that you can use with it the last I looked (which could have changed now). Definitely didn't support MKV 5 months ago when I was looking it up again to pick a product for my dad to put in their new house.
[/quote]

Apple products are the worlds biggest pain in the ass if you ask me. I own a iPod, bought because of all the systems and accessories you can get, but Apple is NOT as user friendly as Microsoft products, and it took me 2 full hours to download from my iPod into a new library. They keep you from syncing to more than one library, like say your work and home computers, they use their own file format, hell generally they make your life more difficult unless you're willing to use Apple products and only Apple products. All their products are made overseas, they have zero problem shipping jobs overseas and on top of everything else, they give money to illegal aliens and are proud of it! They are about as anti-American a company as it's possible to get. I hate them. I own a couple of their products because they've cornered the market, but that doesn't mean I don't still hate them.

'Rani

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1354586862' post='563748']
You missed your 3 minute edit window.

Rani, looking at Clear reviews, it doesn't seem that great...
[/quote]

Depends on your location. I'm in Los Angeles so 4G is everywhere. My Clear is actually faster than my Time-Warner broadband was, for about the same price. They aren't for everyone, but if you have the reception in your area, it's great. And it's triple encrypted changing every 0.20 seconds making it almost completely impossible to pick up the wireless from theft-ware.

'Rani

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1354587401' post='563751']
Hm, well maybe I can find reviews from people in my area.
[/quote]

True, but more importantly, if you've got a locked in price lower, it's not worth it to change right now for you. Prices will come down (they have already), 4G is being expanded, etc. So basically, I'd wait out the year if I were you and then look into it again. By that time it may fit you perfectly. Just because they work for me right now (out of 5 possible "bars" I never have less than 4), doesn't mean it's for everyone in every location.

'Rani

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1354572278' post='563722']
Is there a substantial benefit choosing a Roku over an AppleTV?

I'm getting rid of cable TV once football season is over. After than it's AppleTV or Roku.
[/quote]

It's not apple, so that's pretty substantial.Probably disappear soon according to some reports. Boxee is much better since it comes with an HD antenna. Couldn't pick so I am going to get both, and Ruku was $20 off + free shipping on Cyber Monday.
  • Upvote 1

i like the roku also Western digital has a box like that also, but i have just found streaming my ps3 works best, just download what ever i wanna watch takes no time at all then just bam ps3 on and good to go

[size=6]AARRRGG IM A PIRATE !!!![/size]

p.s. not that type either
  • Upvote 1

We had clear when I was staying at my girlfriends moms. It was horrid. Never had good signal (even with top tier like Chreees was saying). I will never recommend clear to anyone... Or at least in my area. I guess it depends on where you are at