Bye Bye Cable

Stuie

So after looking into it, a streaming box like one of those mentioned seems like a great alternative. Only downside is if I get rid of t.v. then no more Game of thrones. In order to watch I would have to keep a tv subscription in order to get hbo, which defeats the purpose of getting the roku/wdtv. There is only 2 shows I really watch, Game of Thrones and Walking dead, The rest is crap. Hmm what to do.

[quote name='king_lunchb0x' timestamp='1355214756' post='564512']So after looking into it, a streaming box like one of those mentioned seems like a great alternative. Only downside is if I get rid of t.v. then no more Game of thrones. In order to watch I would have to keep a tv subscription in order to get hbo, which defeats the purpose of getting the roku/wdtv. There is only 2 shows I really watch, Game of Thrones and Walking dead, The rest is crap. Hmm what to do.[/quote]

There is another alternative, if you're okay with it...

Tapatalk'd via iPhone

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1355223884' post='564514']
[quote name='king_lunchb0x' timestamp='1355214756' post='564512']So after looking into it, a streaming box like one of those mentioned seems like a great alternative. Only downside is if I get rid of t.v. then no more Game of thrones. In order to watch I would have to keep a tv subscription in order to get hbo, which defeats the purpose of getting the roku/wdtv. There is only 2 shows I really watch, Game of Thrones and Walking dead, The rest is crap. Hmm what to do.[/quote]

There is another alternative, if you're okay with it...

Tapatalk'd via iPhone
[/quote]

yeah, for 2 shows just go with that other way...

I've tried convincing the wife we need to ditch cable altogether. But she says we use the cable too much. And we kinda do, so I dunno. Plus our net at home sucks too much to realistically stream/download all the shows we watch. For example, when we stream shows, we have to constantly pause the player and let it load more every 10 minutes or so. For whatever reason, the players won't completely load, just a little bit at a time. Frustrating. Yet somehow ABC's stream player on their site (we use it to watch Once Upon A Time and Revenge since we have other shows set to record when these come on; DVR only records two channels at a time), has no issues whatsoever; we can watch the entire show with no interruptions, and it even skips the ads since I have AdBlock Plus installed on Firefox. Last time I checked our download was a tad bit over 1Mbps, with upload lower than that. That's using AT&T DSL at home. Compare that to Comcast Business speed I get at work, which I just checked: 21Mbps download, 4Mbps upload. I got slightly better speed at home when I had Comcast, I guess cause it was broadband, buuuuuuut we ultimately had to get rid of it because the damn thing went out everyday, and would sometimes be out for hours at a time. Comcast techs came out, couldn't figure out the problem. Replaced wireless router, everything. So I said screw it and switched to AT&T DSL, which I was used to, had it growing up. It's good enough, but not exactly where I'd like to be speed wise. I currently pay $21 for it, as previously mentioned, so for now I'll stick with it. Hopefully when we move though we can get a package deal with AT&T U-Verse (TV/Internet) or at least get just the U-Verse broadband Internet for a decent price.

The only thing I wish Roku had was a web browser with TV sites book marked my wife loves hoarders on A&E and TLC. Only way to watch them is directly on their respective websites. We are close. The only thing preventing us from truly cutting the cord at the moment is getting use to Roku. My kids love to watch a lot of the kids stuff TW has for free On Demand it's a lot easier to do it on TW.

Netflix released their ISP ranking for Novemember for ISP speeds

[attachment=6066:20121210-Netflix_Major_ISP_Leaderboard-480.png]

Okay, I seriously need to find out how to get Google Fiber.

Google Fiber is currently only available in one city somewhere in KS, if I'm not mistaken. They need to expand... now. They will make a killing once they do. I know I would love to have it.

EDIT: Two cities... https://fiber.google.com/cities/#header=check

KC of course... one City... 2 Cities... KC is just confusing.

Weird place to start in my opinion. But man as soon as I can get it... heck yeah I am switching!!!!