Elmas At Nazarhookah

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1327543818' post='536666']
Mahir, are you going to stock replacement bowls, or will a Syrian bowl work?
[/quote]

If you have a male Syrian bowl, that will work. (as will male Lebanese bowls if anyone has them)

Male Mya bowls need a THICK grommet because they're too slender normally

I use a drilled out mya male bowl with a mod grommet for my elmas for short sessions...the key to mya bowls is to take a dremmel tool to them and really widen the gauge of the holes in them...then they work great....also even though i had santino make a male fitting phunnel for me..the size of the fitting on turkish nargiles is so huge the standard crown bowls still fit inside :o

[quote name='twoapplesplease' timestamp='1327584539' post='536689']
I use a drilled out mya male bowl with a mod grommet for my elmas for short sessions...the key to mya bowls is to take a dremmel tool to them and really widen the gauge of the holes in them...then they work great....also even though i had santino make a male fitting phunnel for me..the size of the fitting on turkish nargiles is so huge the standard crown bowls still fit inside :o
[/quote]
You know what works too. Garden Hose. Cut a piece of garden hose and use it as an adaptor. NO idea if it has chemical issues but its easy and it works. maby just as a temporary measure. OR go to your closest hardware store and buy fittings used for copper tubes works sometimes. Edited by S3cretz

[quote name='S3cretz' timestamp='1327592582' post='536695']
[/quote]
You know what works too. Garden Hose. Cut a piece of garden hose and use it as an adaptor. NO idea if it has chemical issues but its easy and it works. maby just as a temporary measure. OR go to your closest hardware store and buy fittings used for copper tubes works sometimes.
[/quote]

I really wouldn't recommend this.

If I am correct, copper when heated emits poisonous gases. No bueno. And as far as garden hose....way too open and when it gets heated up, it will flex like crazy.

Not to take this subject off course, but....

The melting point of copper is 1084.62°C. Between room temperature and 100°C copper forms a thin Cu[sub]2[/sub]O (copper oxide) layer; at about 150°C a complex oxide forms Cu[sub]3[/sub]O[sub]2[/sub]; and at 200-300°C CuO forms. Significant oxidation occurs when CuO begins to form. If you are getting your bowl anywhere even close to that hot, a rubber grommet will melt, and the binding agent in cloth tape will start to break down. A 1000W coil burner will heat up to about 100-130°C. You coals will not heat up your bowl that hot. Copper oxide is insoluble in water.

The water you drink gets transported via copper pipes, including hot water from a hot water heater. The copper pipes transporting hot water get much hotter than your hookah does. People used copper pots for cooking for centuries. Many hookahs have copper stems. I for one do not see a problem with copper adapters, it is extremely unlikely that you would see oxidization of the copper before you would see your grommet melting. If you are getting your bowl THAT hot, you have much bigger problems. Besides, if you had such grave concerns, I would turn your attention to wondering if they used lead-free solder on all the joints on your hookah, and whether or not the solder they used is causing a reaction between dissimilar metals, where the weaker metal gets corroded by the stronger metal.

If I get a chance to/remember to, I'll snag one of our IR Thermometer guns from work and check the temps on everything.

TL;DR: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Smoke The Pipe
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='NazarHookah' timestamp='1327598942' post='536700']
[quote name='S3cretz' timestamp='1327592582' post='536695']
[/quote]
You know what works too. Garden Hose. Cut a piece of garden hose and use it as an adaptor. NO idea if it has chemical issues but its easy and it works. maby just as a temporary measure. OR go to your closest hardware store and buy fittings used for copper tubes works sometimes.
[/quote]

I really wouldn't recommend this.

If I am correct, copper when heated emits poisonous gases. No bueno. And as far as garden hose....way too open and when it gets heated up, it will flex like crazy.
[/quote]
"NO idea if it has chemical issues"... "maby just as a temporary measure"... Cant say I didnt put a warning in there :D

[quote name='aeon' timestamp='1327601948' post='536706']

The melting point of copper is 1084.62°C. Between room temperature and 100°C copper forms a thin Cu[sub]2[/sub]O (copper oxide) layer; at about 150°C a complex oxide forms Cu[sub]3[/sub]O[sub]2[/sub]; and at 200-300°C CuO forms. Significant oxidation occurs when CuO begins to form. If you are getting your bowl anywhere even close to that hot, a rubber grommet will melt, and the binding agent in cloth tape will start to break down. A 1000W coil burner will heat up to about 100-130°C. You coals will not heat up your bowl that hot. Copper oxide is insoluble in water.

The water you drink gets transported via copper pipes, including hot water from a hot water heater. The copper pipes transporting hot water get much hotter than your hookah does. People used copper pots for cooking for centuries. Many hookahs have copper stems. I for one do not see a problem with copper adapters, it is extremely unlikely that you would see oxidization of the copper before you would see your grommet melting. If you are getting your bowl THAT hot, you have much bigger problems. Besides, if you had such grave concerns, I would turn your attention to wondering if they used lead-free solder on all the joints on your hookah, and whether or not the solder they used is causing a reaction between dissimilar metals, where the weaker metal gets corroded by the stronger metal.

If I get a chance to/remember to, I'll snag one of our IR Thermometer guns from work and check the temps on everything.

[/quote]

Winning.. I <3 you Ty.

back to topic.. I WANT ONE!

[quote name='aeon' timestamp='1327601948' post='536706']

[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up Ty.

I wasn't even sure I just remember someone telling me that when heated, copper can emit a toxic gas. Then again, of course I know that copper piping is used all throughout the house for both hot and cold water, so I was stumped.

+1 for you sir!

I'll be 59 next month; how much longer am I going to live anyway? :D

The hot water in your home is generally about 120 F (~49 C). Much hotter than that and you'd risk scalding.

I'd be interested in knowing how hot the bowl gets, how hot the tobacco gets, and the temperature of the smoke at various places along the stem and hose. Surely somebody has taken measurements. The are thermometers that could be inserted through the stem and hose. Not with mine, of course!

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1327451766' post='536567']
I think they all look nice. Just be glad Mahir was such a boss to get any Elmas models here for us Americans so it's not such a hassle ordering from Germany or Turkey.
[/quote]

THIS. Nothing to add, thank you Mahir!

OK one thing to add...had I not somehow impulsively spent a years worth of hookah money in 3 weeks time I'd have jumped on this immediately.

[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1327635393' post='536759']
Buy an Elmas and you will never want another nargile. Unless it's another Elmas, of course
[/quote]

The true test for me is if it'll make me sell my KM OG Trimetal. :P

Especially since I still want to order a 628 in addition to the 618 you're sending me, haha.

Pffft,610 and 608? Papatya is where MY money is at! /oneupper

hahah, in all seriousness though, the only pipes Elmas has listed that I don't like the look of are the 632 and 634, but that is mainly because I don't like short pipes (the 635 is a bit nicer, and about as small as I would go). Some of the models with figures in the middle can look a bit tacky, but it's all a matter of what you're into. My Papatya has two big captains wheels on it. I'm not a sailor or anything like that, but I do like to joke that it's driving me buzz (YARRRR!!!). Once you see any of these pipes in person, they just look so good (especially after being polished) that you don't even care about stuff like that.
The 604's are very strange looking to me, but I think that is sort of appealing how different they look.

[quote name='aeon' timestamp='1327678197' post='536780']
Pffft,610 and 608? Papatya is where MY money is at! /oneupper

hahah, in all seriousness though, the only pipes Elmas has listed that I don't like the look of are the 632 and 634, but that is mainly because I don't like short pipes (the 635 is a bit nicer, and about as small as I would go). Some of the models with figures in the middle can look a bit tacky, but it's all a matter of what you're into. My Papatya has two big captains wheels on it. I'm not a sailor or anything like that, but I do like to joke that [b]it's driving me buzz (YARRRR!!!)[/b]. Once you see any of these pipes in person, they just look so good (especially after being polished) that you don't even care about stuff like that.
The 604's are very strange looking to me, but I think that is sort of appealing how different they look.
[/quote]

YARRRRRG, CAPTAIN, ME THINKS YOU BE A BIT TOO BUZZED TO SMOKE THAT PAPATYA ANYMORE, DONTCHA THINK? YOU SHOULD SEND IT TO ME, CHREEES, YOUR FIRST MATE, FOR SAFE KEEPING IN THE TREASURE COVE IN GOOD OL' TENNESSEE.

Seriously, though, the silly animals and stuff in the middle of the shanks is where I get lost on Elmas hookahs. But I understand why some people would like them. :)
  • Upvote 1

I actually like the one with the two birds on it.

I thought the horse and bull were a bit awkward. Edited by Floataround

[quote name='aeon' timestamp='1327683260' post='536786']
You guys think they will make me a custom one with a figure of me giving the thumbs up?
[/quote]

Haha, totally.

I want one with buddy Jesus on it:

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/93/Buddy_christ.jpg/300px-Buddy_christ.jpg[/img]

The animals aren't necessarily random believe it or not.

Some of them I believe relate to the top soccer teams in turkey and other beliefs as well. The Canary one is for the soccer team Fenerbahce, the Lion for Galatasaray, the Eagle for Besiktas based on what their teams are called.

The Turks are really die-hard about their soccer, so I would imagine they would want it on their hookah as well, haha!

I dont know the full story about the other figures, but Istanbul is a very maritime-ish place. Boats galore, and they use huge anchors and boat wheel statues as decor all around. The Bull, it has a meaning but I forgot what it was. There is a giant bull statue in Istanbul that a lot of people take their pictures with (kind of like the ones on Wall Street). The Dolphin, I've seen a lot there even in the Bosphorus.

So, as for the ones i'm not too sure about : Bull, Dolphin, ad Boat Wheel........maybe someone knows some more about it?

However, if thooosssee observations don't fit you, why does it matter? It doesn't. If you have your own meaning that suits you for the symbolism, then thats why those figures are there.

The wolf one is from Turkish mythology, as the old legends say the Turks descended from a she-wolf named [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asena"]Asena/Ashina[/url]. As for the rest, I don't know. I think the Fenerbahçe canary one looks the best. I've actually smoked nargile IN Fenerbahçe (a district of Istanbul) so it'd be cool to have one of those. (Although the part of town Galatasaray is in is way cooler....)

But yes as Mahir touched upon those football teams are the 3 biggest and most popular in Turkey, all based in İstanbul:
lion = Galatasaray
canaries = Fenerbahçe
eagle = Beşiktaş