Why So Many Coals?

My question is, I see all these reviews where people are using like 4 coals or more! In what way is that possibly necessary? I use one coconara and if i use Q.L.'s cause' I'm out of my good coals, i use then maybe two. Is it the setup? I feel like all my shisha would burn away... I will say this, I used to not think much about wind covers, until I got one. Now I use only 1 coal, and definitely only one. I used to use two, but I just can't fathom 4 or more. What possibly is the reason you would need to use so many? Someone please explain this to me, it bothers me because I can't find any logic in it.

Further more, I believe in the best coals, shisha, and hoses. And while nice expensive hookah's are ideal, I don't believe they are entirely necessary. I have a $30 hookah that is nice and airtight, and the hits i get are phenomenal. I'm sure I will buy a expensive one when I fall in love with it, but for now I'm content.

And as a last note, do you think it is embarassing if I shoot videos/reviews with said $30 hookah? Haha, I don't say a lot because I don't feel like speaking on something I know nothing about, but I feel as if any information I do offer would be quite noteworthy. So if I post, will I look like a jerk because I have a cheap set-up? Will people disregard my opinions because of this set-up? Any thoughts, comments, tips; much appreciated. Take it easy! -D.S.[left]
[color=#fafafa !important][size=4][/size][/color][img]http://www.google.com/uds/css/small-logo.png[/img][/left]

as far as the number of coals. many of the people who do reviews (at least on here) use phunnel bowls. with phunnel bowls usually 3 coals or 4 coal halfs are an ideal amount for many tobaccos.

As far as the $30 hookah goes.. as long as it hits good and works well I agree with you.
As far as the reveiws goes.. I listen to anyone if they sound like they're not just blowing smoke. i also take every review with a grain of salt

:)
welcome

The coals may also be cut in half so they are giving off less heat; a lot of these folks do that.

As far as the $30 pipe, I see no problem with it. I have never spent more than $40 on a pipe, so if you are reviewing tobacco and also showing off a $200 pipe, I may actually take you less seriously than if you were just giving a solid review of the tobacco.

Also, if you aren't reviewing the pipe, there is really no need for it to be in the shot.

Ah, that makes sense with the phunnel bowl. Strange why people would use it on a regular one. I guess I would just add some glycerin & honey if I wanted more clouds. Thanks for keeping it real and the good info. ;)[left]
[color=#fafafa !important][size=4][/size][/color][img]http://www.google.com/uds/css/small-logo.png[/img][/left]

Excellent question, D.S. However, I feel this is an extremely subjective one. Like you mentioned, some people on YouTube will have 4 coconut coals on a tiny bowl. I have tried to do the same with my equipment and about died hacking up a lung it was way too harsh. How or why do they do it? Who knows. Maybe they just like really harsh smoke. Or maybe they are just trying to impress their viewers with THUNDER CLOUDS!!! In all seriousness, it's about finding the perfect balance of flavor versus smoke (or actually vapor) volume. For me, on my Tangiers Mini Phunnel, two coconut coals is perfect. I use a windcover as a heat management tool as well, adding and removing it when desired, instead of using an additional coal. Works well for me. I have also cut coconut coals for optimal heat management. Find what works well for you and you'll be a happy smoker. :)

As for your setup, have no shame. All that matters is that YOU like it and YOU know it works well. Forget what everyone else thinks, because...

[img]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p40/INCUBUSRATM/Funny%20pics%20and%20gifs/haters.gif[/img]

Like some other poeple said sometimes people cut coals in half. Whenever I smoke nakhla I Use minimum 4 coal halves. Tangiers 3 coal halves. romman 2 coals. ect ect <- this is all obviously using natural coals.
Its all about personal prefrence.
And in regards to your hookah. If it works fine! its fine with me. My fav hookah I bought for what $6.

also
[b]Sometimes[/b] reviewers are afriad they might get hated on. Because they usually have wispy smoke. And to compensate they over pack and overheat their bowls so they can get bigger clouds.
sometimes.

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1326255969' post='535200']
Excellent question, D.S. However, I feel this is an extremely subjective one. Like you mentioned, some people on YouTube will have 4 coconut coals on a tiny bowl. I have tried to do the same with my equipment and about died hacking up a lung it was way too harsh. How or why do they do it? Who knows. Maybe they just like really harsh smoke. Or maybe they are just trying to impress their viewers with THUNDER CLOUDS!!! In all seriousness, it's about finding the perfect balance of flavor versus smoke (or actually vapor) volume. For me, on my Tangiers Mini Phunnel, two coconut coals is perfect. I use a windcover as a heat management tool as well, adding and removing it when desired, instead of using an additional coal. Works well for me. I have also cut coconut coals for optimal heat management. Find what works well for you and you'll be a happy smoker. :)

As for your setup, have no shame. All that matters is that YOU like it and YOU know it works well. Forget what everyone else thinks, because...

[img]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p40/INCUBUSRATM/Funny%20pics%20and%20gifs/haters.gif[/img]
[/quote]

exactly i dont see why people need to fake there reviews like that. I even state in one of my own videos about to much coals was too harsh even tho the clouds were awesome to the extreem.

[quote name='ds_1007' timestamp='1326253706' post='535189']
My question is, I see all these reviews where people are using like 4 coals or more! In what way is that possibly necessary? I use one coconara and if i use Q.L.'s cause' I'm out of my good coals, i use then maybe two. Is it the setup? I feel like all my shisha would burn away... I will say this, I used to not think much about wind covers, until I got one. Now I use only 1 coal, and definitely only one. I used to use two, but I just can't fathom 4 or more. What possibly is the reason you would need to use so many? Someone please explain this to me, it bothers me because I can't find any logic in it.

[left]
[color=#fafafa !important][/color][img]http://www.google.com/uds/css/small-logo.png[/img][/left]
[/quote]

Also like stated above some of us use phunnels and with that halfs and quarters. My self will start with a exotica cut in half then second round depending on how first went i might do anohter half or a full . That is for a egyptian bowl

Now for a phunnel and it being tangiers ill use two exotica halfs for mayby the first 4 - rounds then ill use full exoticas at the end

[quote name='ds_1007' timestamp='1326253706' post='535189']

And as a last note, do you think it is embarassing if I shoot videos/reviews with said $30 hookah? Haha, I don't say a lot because I don't feel like speaking on something I know nothing about, but I feel as if any information I do offer would be quite noteworthy. So if I post, will I look like a jerk because I have a cheap set-up? Will people disregard my opinions because of this set-up? Any thoughts, comments, tips; much appreciated. Take it easy! -D.S.
[color=#fafafa !important][/color][img]http://www.google.com/uds/css/small-logo.png[/img]
[/quote]
I would not be ashamed , just do you and it will be a great video , i think one of my first videos i have my jacked up mya artoo on a water jug for the base .

Another thing to consider is that some people (like myself) have grown fond of the stonehenge method. When I am on my first round of coals, I will use 3 coconaras on their sides, with a windcover to start. I just find it is the easiest method for me to get the bowl warmed up, but not too hot. This means no messing around with the coals once I put them on. On my second set, I'll just use 2 coconaras opposite each other sitting down normally, and with each subsequent set, 2 coals on opposite side, placing them in "unused" sections with each new set (ie: 12 & 6, 9 & 3, etc). This is but one of MANY methods.

p.s: Thanks Katie for introducing me to your stonehenge method!
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='aeon' timestamp='1326306973' post='535254']
Another thing to consider is that some people (like myself) have grown fond of the stonehenge method. When I am on my first round of coals, I will use 3 coconaras on their sides, with a windcover to start. I just find it is the easiest method for me to get the bowl warmed up, but not too hot. This means no messing around with the coals once I put them on. On my second set, I'll just use 2 coconaras opposite each other sitting down normally, and with each subsequent set, 2 coals on opposite side, placing them in "unused" sections with each new set (ie: 12 & 6, 9 & 3, etc). This is but one of MANY methods.

[/quote]

I too like the stonehenge method. Unfortunately, I do not implement it much due to my cat. Why? She likes to snuggle the hookah's base. This means that sometimes she'll bump into it and it will then make the coals fall. Luckily my tray catches them. One time it did not. Therefore, I no longer stonehenge. I just hang the coals off the edge of the bowl now and move them in as the session goes.

Do you do use the method where Katie said to stonehenge them in the middle of the bowl? I never could really master that method. :(

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1326316735' post='535267']

I too like the stonehenge method. Unfortunately, I do not implement it much due to my cat. Why? She likes to snuggle the hookah's base. This means that sometimes she'll bump into it and it will then make the coals fall. Luckily my tray catches them. One time it did not. Therefore, I no longer stonehenge. I just hang the coals off the edge of the bowl now and move them in as the session goes.

Do you do use the method where Katie said to stonehenge them in the middle of the bowl? I never could really master that method. :(
[/quote]

Yeah, I was worried at first, but my dog has started to realize he can't go anywhere near it or he gets in trouble haha. I use a slightly modified version of her method, as I found when they were too close to the center they weighed down the foil against the hole too much. But, moving them out a bit means they heat up the bowl less and NEED the windcover.

Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, I didn't really notice any issues with the coals capping off the inner hole, but I did think about how it could potentially be a problem. I tried it a few times and gave up. Edging has always worked well for me, so I'mma keep doing it I suppose. Congrats you found a way that works for you. I see nothing wrong with everyone doing it a different way, as long as it works for them. :)

[quote name='aeon' timestamp='1326306973' post='535254']

[/quote]

for that stonehenge idea i saw that for the first time when Joytron came to the lounge with me he did it with cocos and it tripped me out iwas like those are going to fall and nope they were fine :)

but yah who cares how much ur pipe cost if it smokes thats awesome also some people are just nuts liek chreeees said about thier smoke being good for thier review i use 3 coals or 2 depending on what im smokingand how much is really needed

[quote name='aeon' timestamp='1326320380' post='535279']
[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1326316735' post='535267']

[/quote]

Yeah, I was worried at first, but my dog has started to realize he can't go anywhere near it or he gets in trouble haha. I use a slightly modified version of her method, as I found when they were too close to the center they weighed down the foil against the hole too much. But, moving them out a bit means they heat up the bowl less and NEED the windcover.
[/quote]

Yeah don't put them over the spire unless you like coal-flavor lol.. The start in the center method seems to work best on Medium/Large phunnel.

I tried it with GCs and didn't notice a difference. Although with GCs its pretty hard to mess up a bowl of Tang.

I've been using CCNs lately and I start with the stonehenge method extending towards the center of the bowl. I don't know if that qualities as using Katie's method but it just seems safer than standing them up on end right at the edge.

I liked everyone's very kind and gracious responses regarding you set up and I agree. I currently have 2 KM's a narwas - and am smoking at the moment out of a second-hand small mya that came free with an order, and a nuhose. She works quite well and I use her often esp when i'm feeling lazy :)

I did a video review years ago using one of the very first hobohookahs ever produced. I would not recommend this unless you have very tough emotional skin...

ok so I have been out for a while, what is this stonehenge placement? and what is Katies center coal thing? i really have no idea what goin on? maybe some links to pics or the thread about these topics? If someone has spare time of course. Sorry to thread jack. back to topic
like everyone else says, its all about preference. I have a friend who does some weird shit with his mu'assel, throws the coal right on top of it no foil or screen. And he does do that for all brands. He says he likes it like that,super harsh...

[quote name='king_lunchb0x' timestamp='1326411400' post='535395']
ok so I have been out for a while, what is this stonehenge placement? and what is Katies center coal thing? i really have no idea what goin on? maybe some links to pics or the thread about these topics? If someone has spare time of course. Sorry to thread jack. back to topic
like everyone else says, its all about preference. I have a friend who does some weird shit with his mu'assel, throws the coal right on top of it no foil or screen. And he does do that for all brands. He says he likes it like that,super harsh...
[/quote]

"Stonehenging" simply refers to standing coconut coals up on their sides so that less coal is touching the foil. Essentially, it gives you pretty much the same effect as cutting coconut coals into halves. I have done it before, but tend not to for the reason stated above- damn cat. I love her to death, and she loves hugging the hookah too damn much, so I let her do it and just have my coals lay flat all the time.

I'll let Katie go more in-depth on her method, but basically instead of edging coals she has them stonehenged more in the center. NOT directly over the inner spire, but right on the edge of it I guess. Like I said, she can elaborate more on it. And hey, maybe I'll understand it better this time and give it another whirl and end up loving it. ;)

[quote name='king_lunchb0x' timestamp='1326411400' post='535395']
[/quote]

The time warp ate my post. I'll post if when things calm down....currently on the noodle soup and rest plan.