What Is Your Dream Job?

Abdullah and I are looking at our finances and long term goals. We think we can take advantage of some opportunities this year.

IF money were no objejct, schooling were available, what would be your dream job? I am still thinking I would like to teach but if we manage wisely, we can each start our own business within the next few years. Petstore? Bookstore? Would I get enough customers? Shisha shops are out, they are a dime a dozen here not to mention it's a male oriented society here. Owing a spa would be fun but again, they are a dime a dozen here and a lot of competition. IF you had the money to start a business, what would you do? Or would you rather just "work for the man?"

I have two "dream job" neither of which I would prefer over the other if money was no object.

The first would be able to establish a school-thing for the incoming international students to teach them about adjusting to America. I have many, many, many friends from the Middle East who come mostly from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, and Lebanon and many of them were priveleged with having maids their whole life. I was honestly kind of astonished when my roommate asked me how to do simple things such as laundry, clean, cook things like mac n cheese or spaghetti but he was willing to learn, even if only out of necessity. To be able to teach the incoming internationals these things, and others such as how to drive, how to find apartments, dealing with servers and the cultural differences between the sexes. I think it would be very fun, enlightening, and helpful.

My other dream job would be becoming a professor of Religious Studies teaching at Xavier University or Florida State University. I would like to be working in the research fields of Islamic Studies, Islamic-Christian relations, Jahiliyyah history, American-Muslim history, Interreligious dialogue and Sociology and Religion in a global context.

Inshallah my work will pay off and the 2nd one will come true :)

• Upvote 1

[quote name='Tyler' timestamp='1310423933' post='515562']
I have two "dream job" neither of which I would prefer over the other if money was no object.

The first would be able to establish a school-thing for the incoming international students to teach them about adjusting to America. I have many, many, many friends from the Middle East who come mostly from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, and Lebanon and many of them were priveleged with having maids their whole life. I was honestly kind of astonished when my roommate asked me how to do simple things such as laundry, clean, cook things like mac n cheese or spaghetti but he was willing to learn, even if only out of necessity. To be able to teach the incoming internationals these things, and others such as how to drive, how to find apartments, dealing with servers and the cultural differences between the sexes. I think it would be very fun, enlightening, and helpful.

My other dream job would be becoming a professor of Religious Studies teaching at Xavier University or Florida State University. I would like to be working in the research fields of Islamic Studies, Islamic-Christian relations, Jahiliyyah history, American-Muslim history, Interreligious dialogue and Sociology and Religion in a global context.

Inshallah my work will pay off and the 2nd one will come true :)

[/quote]

[font="Georgia"][size="2"][color="#4b0082"]I HOPE YOUR DREAM COMES TRUE! Your first is a really good idea. My husband went to the US for school, really struggled his first year with some of those things. He laughs about it, he would throw his clothes on the floor, come back after a class, no one had cleaned up after him! The thing is, Kuwait pays for housekeeping for college students (or did) so he was able to fix that annoying problem pretty quickly. I would love to see a cultural center in the US. We have one here called the Aware Center for US and Western expats to learn and understand Kuwaiti culture it's pretty cool.

I would love to take a religious studies class from you, I'd bet we can debate/discuss for hours.....:)[/color][/size][/font]

A professional Wrestler...i have the belt to prove it!!

ALSO

A Mighty Morphin Power Ranger

So a Power ranger whos day job is a professional wrestler

I would like to own a small coffee shop, after being trained as a chef/pastry chef...

I'd offer great coffee and pastries, along with some lunch items that would vary daily depending on what was fresh at the market.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1310436299' post='515586']
I would like to own a small coffee shop, after being trained as a chef/pastry chef...

I'd offer great coffee and pastries, along with some lunch items that would vary daily depending on what was fresh at the market.
[/quote]

That is amazing man +1 for you

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1310436299' post='515586']

[/quote]

[font="Georgia"][size="3"][color="#4b0082"]HEY, wanna come to Kuwait! I'll buy the shop, you can run the place! [/color][/size][/font]

I would love to be a tour guide throughout various countries of the world (I love to travel). I though about teaching English in other countries right out of college but the money is not there.

i always wanted to be a marine bioligist, ready every damn book in the school library pertaining to sea life, oceanography and fluid mechanics. Now I just want to play the lottery, hit it big and relax.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='kajon' timestamp='1310502756' post='515698']
I would love to be a tour guide throughout various countries of the world (I love to travel). I though about teaching English in other countries right out of college but the money is not there.
[/quote]I

[font="Georgia"][size="3"][color="#000080"]I replied to this before, it disappeared. Hmmm. The money is HERE! You can make about $75K a year, tax free and have free housing and transportation in Kuwait. Most usually give you two free airplane tickets a year and pay for excess baggage. Furthermore, your hours will be about 7-2 pm and you'll have the rest of the day to explore all kinds of cool shisha cafes. You can travel on weekends to Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, Seychelles. If you're interested, let me know, they are always looking for teachers, experience and/or certification is preferred but you can land a job with just a bachelor's degree.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Cp44' timestamp='1310503357' post='515699']
i always wanted to be a marine bioligist, ready every damn book in the school library pertaining to sea life, oceanography and fluid mechanics. Now I just want to play the lottery, hit it big and relax.
[/quote]

HA! Sounds like a plan to me! I keep hoping to find that lamp with a genie in it (since there is no lottery here!) or my sister wins big and shares with her baby sis!

Really and truly I have been only passionate about 3 things in my life as far as a career/job goes.

1) Coffee Shop Owner - Attempted once had trouble raising capital.
2) Bass Player - Life keeps from playing as much as I would like
3) Counselor - I just like to help people with their problems, I know it's blind leading the blind.

I would want to own my own theme park and play one of the costumed charicters.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1310747929' post='516007']
Really and truly I have been only passionate about 3 things in my life as far as a career/job goes.

1) Coffee Shop Owner - Attempted once had trouble raising capital.
2) Bass Player - Life keeps from playing as much as I would like
3) Counselor - I just like to help people with their problems, I know it's blind leading the blind.
[/quote]

I find the best advise in life is from people who have lived it. you can learn a lot from books but i would rather talk to someone who lived through the fire and made it.
Ray