What Would You Want In A Hookah Lounge?

the decor reallt does not make that big of deal... as long as it is comfy for my ass while i smoke then you can have modern or tradition. ( i don't like the ide of sitting on the ground..i didnt even know places did that) but best of luck and you gotta server tang for good buzz stuff

Foil.

Please use FOIL FFS. I get so angry with the steel plates, though understand the safety issues. Just put a stupid sign up not to touch / move the coals / wind cover (see Mushy's setup..he put wind covers on all hookah's to prevent rolling off of coals on foil).

Have decent chill music, or any music, which does NOT drown out conversation. The half-way-decent hookah lounge around here is ruined completely by live bands or nights of genre-specific music which gets the volume up to norm-bar levels. This means conversation is impossible.

You do NOT dance while smoking hookah. You have conversations. Keep the music down.

I think speciality drinks (fruit smoothies, cofffee) mixes better w/ hookah then plates of food. Food is messy w/ hookah.

The decor DOES matter.

Make it relaxing and inline with the clientele you are seeking to reach.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm opening up a hookah lounge pretty soon, and i'd love to hear from the hookah lovers on this forum what they would want to expect in a hookah lounge.
Im also putting some pool tables in to have a even more exciting environment :)

So lets hear it from Music, to vip rooms, colors, to furniture, what would make you a satisfied customer and make you come back.

having pool tables is a sweet idea, if everything is done right it could turn out amazing, however it could also turn out badly...as far as music. I prefer to go to lounges that aren't blasting music, but have it more as a subtle background, so you can hear what people are saying, any type of music should be fine, depending on who you want there. VIP rooms make it seem somewhat favoritive/exclusive and may deter people from coming if they think that they will get crummy service if they can't afford the VIP rooms. For furniture, A lot of lounges put hookahs on the tables. but some people may find that offensive. I prefer when people put the hookah that i am smoking on the floor...but tables are a must if there is gonna be drinks and such available. Couches are good too, makes it more comfortable. The most important thing that brings me back to lounges the most though is quality service and good hookahs.

From my own personal experiences, this is what I like most:
-Stay away from doing a completely middle eastern theme. I hate the small little couches that are almost floor level. I like sitting in a comfortable chair or real sofa/love seat. I also don't like the persian/middle eastern decorations. My favorite bar had a hippy type theme with posters on the walls, dark lighting, and beer neon signs.

-Music. Play relaxing music. I like rock, so I like 311, Sublime, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendricks, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc. Nothing like metal or rap (I personally like both, but those don't go with hookah. I really like listening to Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" album :) )

-Music cont. Have a live band on your busier nights (Friday and Saturday). People will show up for hookah AND a live band. They don't necessary have to be amazing, but adhere to the music choices above.

-Service. Make sure you have enough staff around to pack new bowls or heat new coals. I HATE waiting for someone to pack me a new bowl or bring a coal.

-Hookah selections. Make it a wide variety with different flavors. Not all fruit flavors, not all weird flavors, etc. BTW, everyone I know loves Double Apple. That's like the common flavor everyone likes.

-Have different activity nights. Movie nights, cheap beer night ($2 drafts), stand up comedians (if you can find them), trivia, etc. I having options when I'm at any type of bar.

Those are just a few ideas. Also, this might be a good rule to have. DONT let the customers move or pick up the hookahs. Coals will burn sofas, carpet, etc. and noob smokers will pick up from the shaft and not the vase. This results in broken vases, bowls, etc. I've seen it SO many times.

[quote name='Travis' timestamp='1286703516' post='484569']
[url="http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/39506-what-do-you-want-in-a-hookah-lounge/"]Heres a few other opinions[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for finding the other thread so I can just quote myself from that one...

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' timestamp='1285120692' post='482755']
Design: I like both traditional and modern interior settings.
Music: No rap, hip-hop, rock... either something modern that's mellow or authentic Middle Eastern music.
Hours of operation: 5-6PM-2-3AM seems to be the norm.
Prices: I'm a fan of price tiers for different brands.
What snacks or drinks do you enjoy while smoking?: I like tea, water, sometimes Coca-Cola... and this lounge in Memphis had sandwiches and those Red Baron french pizzas that you cook in the oven for food to eat. I was a fan. Small stuff like that is nice. If you aren't going to offer food, atleast make sure you're in a good area with food options available close-by. Allowing outside food to be brought in is up to you.
Beer?: I could honestly care less if beer is served or not.
Brands of shisha?: Nakhla, Al Fakher, Starbuzz, and Tangiers are the brands I would carry. Like I said, price tiers.
Brands of hookahs?: I would use either Mya's or Khalil Mamoon's.
[/quote]

I knew I had recently posted on this subject...

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' timestamp='1286703780' post='484571']
[quote name='Travis' timestamp='1286703516' post='484569']
[url="http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/39506-what-do-you-want-in-a-hookah-lounge/"]Heres a few other opinions[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for finding the other thread so I can just quote myself from that one...

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' timestamp='1285120692' post='482755']
Design: I like both traditional and modern interior settings.
Music: No rap, hip-hop, rock... either something modern that's mellow or authentic Middle Eastern music.
Hours of operation: 5-6PM-2-3AM seems to be the norm.
Prices: I'm a fan of price tiers for different brands.
What snacks or drinks do you enjoy while smoking?: I like tea, water, sometimes Coca-Cola... and this lounge in Memphis had sandwiches and those Red Baron french pizzas that you cook in the oven for food to eat. I was a fan. Small stuff like that is nice. If you aren't going to offer food, atleast make sure you're in a good area with food options available close-by. Allowing outside food to be brought in is up to you.
Beer?: I could honestly care less if beer is served or not.
Brands of shisha?: Nakhla, Al Fakher, Starbuzz, and Tangiers are the brands I would carry. Like I said, price tiers.
Brands of hookahs?: I would use either Mya's or Khalil Mamoon's.
[/quote]

I knew I had recently posted on this subject...
[/quote]

Yeah i know....its crazy how I actually looked something up and contributed[b] instead of telling someone to use the search function,[/b] huh?

Here's all I want:

REAL GOD DAMN COALS NOT INSTANT LIGHT CRAP - I don't think I need to explain this. CCNs/CH at minimum, real burning chunks of wood coals even better.

HOSES THAT DON'T TOTALLY SUCK - Twice now in London I've gone to places that have big proper Egyptian shishas, and then give you a hose that has one of those tiny metal ends! you couldn't even fit a pencil down it! Or back in the US, Myas with the ultra-narrow standard Mya pipes. Come on!!!

Additionally: A bar would be nice, or at least a license that allows BYOB, and I don't reeeally care what brand they have as long as I know what it is so I can choose accordingly

[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1286710795' post='484578']
Here's all I want:

REAL GOD DAMN COALS NOT INSTANT LIGHT CRAP - I don't think I need to explain this. CCNs/CH at minimum, real burning chunks of wood coals even better.

HOSES THAT DON'T TOTALLY SUCK - Twice now in London I've gone to places that have big proper Egyptian shishas, and then give you a hose that has one of those tiny metal ends! you couldn't even fit a pencil down it! Or back in the US, Myas with the ultra-narrow standard Mya pipes. Come on!!!

Additionally: A bar would be nice, or at least a license that allows BYOB, and I don't reeeally care what brand they have as long as I know what it is so I can choose accordingly
[/quote]

We've got you covered :) I know it will increase our overhead a bit but we are going to use CCN's, they are much easier to manage than CH's (much less ash) and Nammor hoses.

As far as the liquor license goes, that will come later after we pay off our original loan, we're trying to keep our start-up cost as low as possible and getting an alcohol license and fully stocked bar is quite a big expense. BUT, we are going to put in a bar that will serve as our shisha/hookah storage area and prep station. That way people can talk with us while we prepare their hookah, and even smoke at the bar if they'd like. I think that will help people learn more about hookah preparation and how the hookah works, instead of just having us make it in the back and bring it out.

[quote name='Matto' timestamp='1286829277' post='484689']
Here's all I want:

[/quote]

We've got you covered :) I know it will increase our overhead a bit but we are going to use CCN's, they are much easier to manage than CH's (much less ash) and Nammor hoses.

As far as the liquor license goes, that will come later after we pay off our original loan, we're trying to keep our start-up cost as low as possible and getting an alcohol license and fully stocked bar is quite a big expense. BUT, we are going to put in a bar that will serve as our shisha/hookah storage area and prep station. That way people can talk with us while we prepare their hookah, and even smoke at the bar if they'd like. I think that will help people learn more about hookah preparation and how the hookah works, instead of just having us make it in the back and bring it out.
[/quote]

Wise choice going with CCN's.

I really like how you are going about this! It sounds like you have put some serious thought into the minutia of running a small, [u]profitable[/u] business! With what seems an open, honest and knowledgeable business model in place you can go far!

I think there's a VERY clear distinction between hookah places, they break down into 3 categories

1. By far the most prevalent. Places offering it because it's hip and it sells. Located often in tourist-or-general-punter heavy areas. See: most places in the US (at least in DC) and London except Edgware Road (the heart of the Arab community). These places use crappy hoses, crappy coals, and don't really pay you much attention once you get it.

2. The next most prevalent, but still not common. Places run by Arabs or other Middle Easterners and catering to a mostly Arab clientele who don't like being fucked with. They may not have anything other than Nakhla, but boy will it smoke well and they do stuff right, including being very attentive. Note, a lot of the no. 1 category places are run by Arabs, but their patrons are (pardon me my Caucasian friends) random white people who don't know better

3. The least prevalent, but obviously I think the kind people here like most: The establishment run by the true hookah head, such as what Eric has and Mush had before it got shut down. To my knowledge, in America, these can be counted on one's hands. There certainly are none in the DC area, and in fact Hookah Bliss down in NC was probably the closest.

I guess you're going for the third type, so best of luck!

[quote name='Chaz1337' timestamp='1286829992' post='484692']
[quote name='Matto' timestamp='1286829277' post='484689']
Here's all I want:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wise choice going with CCN's.

I really like how you are going about this! It sounds like you have put some serious thought into the minutia of running a small, [u]profitable[/u] business! With what seems an open, honest and knowledgeable business model in place you can go far!

[/quote]

We have put a lot of work into our planning, thanks for the support!

[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1286836264' post='484704']
I think there's a VERY clear distinction between hookah places, they break down into 3 categories

1. By far the most prevalent. Places offering it because it's hip and it sells. Located often in tourist-or-general-punter heavy areas. See: most places in the US (at least in DC) and London except Edgware Road (the heart of the Arab community). These places use crappy hoses, crappy coals, and don't really pay you much attention once you get it.

2. The next most prevalent, but still not common. Places run by Arabs or other Middle Easterners and catering to a mostly Arab clientele who don't like being fucked with. They may not have anything other than Nakhla, but boy will it smoke well and they do stuff right, including being very attentive. Note, a lot of the no. 1 category places are run by Arabs, but their patrons are (pardon me my Caucasian friends) random white people who don't know better

3. The least prevalent, but obviously I think the kind people here like most: The establishment run by the true hookah head, such as what Eric has and Mush had before it got shut down. To my knowledge, in America, these can be counted on one's hands. There certainly are none in the DC area, and in fact Hookah Bliss down in NC was probably the closest.

I guess you're going for the third type, so best of luck!
[/quote]

Most definitely going for the third type, I've talked with Eric quite a bit on the phone about his lounge operation and he's been a lot of help. Hopefully as we progress through the various stages of getting things up and running he will be there for us to consult because in my opinion he is one of the most knowledgeable lounge owners out there.

[quote name='Travis' timestamp='1286890893' post='484788']
[quote name='Cp44' timestamp='1286890403' post='484782']
hot belly dancers
[/quote]

:rolleyes: ......................yeah, cant argue with that.
[/quote]

I will only hire HF members as my belly dancers, because as we all know they are all smoking hot :P

[quote name='Matto' timestamp='1286909558' post='484806']
hot belly dancers
[/quote]

[/quote]

I will only hire HF members as my belly dancers, because as we all know they are all smoking hot :P
[/quote]

You have a rude awakening waiting for you my friend.

Jk your all beautiful!

[quote name='Epoch' timestamp='1286918229' post='484838']
We are smoking hot shisha, and that's about it!
[/quote]

That's what counts right? :D

[quote name='Matto' timestamp='1286909558' post='484806']
hot belly dancers
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would make it rain at the lounge ;)

[quote name='Travis' timestamp='1286704021' post='484572']
Yeah i know....its crazy how I actually looked something up and contributed[b] instead of telling someone to use the search function,[/b] huh?
[/quote]

Ya, crazy.

There's a lot of suggestions and good ideas in this thread. But from one lounge owner to another, trust me when I tell you that everyone has their opinion but at the end of the day it's your time, money, and hard work. Keep in mind that owning a lounge means a lot more than just sitting around smoking with your friends all day and making money. Not saying that's what you think, but I talk to a lot of folks who think that's what it's all about. Remember you're a business owner first. That said, here's my advice to you:

1. Make sure you get all your appropriate licensing if you don't want to get shut down
2. Make sure your building is 100% up to code
3. Do everything on the up-and-up.
4. Respect your landlord, city council, local law-enforcement, etc. They can be your greatest allies or worst enemies.
5. Start small. Let the market dictate your progression.

Understand, man, for every person who appreciates and understands this culture, there are a thousand who don't. The threat of the NHT stereotype and tobacco bans is something that every lounge owner must come to terms with. That said, every effort to do things legitimately is well worth the time, effort, and hassle. You'll feel a lot of pressure to cut corners and bypass certain formalities you may think to be unnecesarry, but trust me, it'll be worth it in the long run.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer, but someone had to do it. :)

[quote name='ih303' timestamp='1286979100' post='484925']
[quote name='Travis' timestamp='1286704021' post='484572']
[/quote]

Ya, crazy.

There's a lot of suggestions and good ideas in this thread. But from one lounge owner to another, trust me when I tell you that everyone has their opinion but at the end of the day it's your time, money, and hard work. Keep in mind that owning a lounge means a lot more than just sitting around smoking with your friends all day and making money. Not saying that's what you think, but I talk to a lot of folks who think that's what it's all about. Remember you're a business owner first. That said, here's my advice to you:

1. Make sure you get all your appropriate licensing if you don't want to get shut down
2. Make sure your building is 100% up to code
3. Do everything on the up-and-up.
4. Respect your landlord, city council, local law-enforcement, etc. They can be your greatest allies or worst enemies.
5. Start small. Let the market dictate your progression.

Understand, man, for every person who appreciates and understands this culture, there are a thousand who don't. The threat of the NHT stereotype and tobacco bans is something that every lounge owner must come to terms with. That said, every effort to do things legitimately is well worth the time, effort, and hassle. You'll feel a lot of pressure to cut corners and bypass certain formalities you may think to be unnecesarry, but trust me, it'll be worth it in the long run.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer, but someone had to do it. :)
[/quote]

Our business plan is very focused on making our lounge relaxed and refined, tacky and mainstream is one thing that we want to avoid.
I'm fully aware that it won't be all glitz and glamor but I'm willing to put that hard work in for the love of hookah, and the opportunity to share that with a larger audience.

As far as codes and laws go we should be good, I've done a lot of in-depth research and even if the anti-tobacco law that they're trying to pass does fly it includes a clause for businesses that receive a good portion of their business from smokers. As a lounge we'd be included with that, along with most bars. The city council should be on our side as well as my business partner runs a local recycling business that does all of the florescent bulb and battery recycling for the city buildings and public schools, so we already have a lot of connections there.

Our start-up budget is quite low compared to what it could cost to bring a new business to life, we're able to keep it low by doing most of the remodeling to our building ourselves (luckily our teenage years were filled with working hard construction jobs haha) and by being smart with the things we spend our money on in the beginning.
We're also going to be sure to make it clear that we DO NOT associate with anything NHT related.

You're not being debbie downer at all! Just trying to help us out which is much appreciated :)