Meditation

joanna

I've recently been thinking about meditation a lot.
I'm the type of person that worries all the time. I'm constantly stressed out about what I'm doing with my time, and what I want to do with my future (gotta love college).
Sometimes I feel like I just need to take some quiet time to myself to slow down, destress, and find my center.

I'm just wondering if any of you out there meditate. If so, why do you do it, and what effects does it have on your life?

i guess i meditate, well more so just have some quiet time to reflect on my day, It helps me clear my mind,and feel good about where i'm going in life

meditation is a part of my daily life, normally. Sometimes I run short on time, or something will get in the way, and I can really see a difference when that happens. My 'fuse" is shorter, little things bother me more, and like you mentioned, I worry. It's been said that prayer is talking to God, meditation is listening. Something about that listening process tends to bring me back to center. Others tell me it does the same for them. There is instruction everywhere from Buddhist websites, to Dr. Oz, and even my own website. (www.ranisplace.com) But one of the best descriptions I've ever heard came from Joseph Campbell when he talks about becoming "transparent to the transcendent". I've get to find a better way to explain what happens during meditation.

'Rani

Meditation is a personal thing. There are many "ways" to meditate. You need to find one thats comfortable for yourself. You might want to find a quiet sacred space also. You don't have to sit in a lotus position, you can meditate sitting in straight back chair, for instance. The idea is to calm the mind, to turn off the noise, both internal and external. Stillness is a very holy thing. Most people get frustrated because they can't calm the rising thoughts in their heads. The idea is to let them rise and take no notice of them. Some people use a mantra to help them, a phrase repeated over and over again in rhythm with breath. There are many people who teach these skills and having a teacher is essential if you are going to pursue meditation seriously for spiritual peace.
  • Upvote 1

i meditate for an hour everynight before bed, it helps me reflect on the lessons i learned that day and it brings my energy level down and helps calm my thoughts and gives me a clear head to think about what im doing with myself on a daily basis

The Right Music and Right elements like Comfort, smells, noises, lights, everybody has a different level of Consciousness and its definatly something worth practicing!!!

id be happy to answer ne questions i can for you

• 1 month later...
This is actually something I've been working on for the last month or so. It's not an easy process and to reach a true meditative state, to really clear your mind, can take some practice. The method I've found to be most effective is a sort of gradual dissociative effect with the help of an audible stimulus. It can also work very well with visual stimulus. Every night once I'm ready for bed I'll put on some music at a comfortable volume and crawl under the covers, laying face up in anatomical position (having a very comfy full sized bed helps :P). . Very long tracks are ideal. If you're into classical music find some whole movements. Myself, I have an hour and a half trance mix that I find works wonders. I'll put the music on and start to listen. As I go I'll start to dissect the music. One by one I'll pick parts out of the mix till all but one thing is gone, then I just let that last one go.

for example, I'm a drummer so I'll usually skip to drum track. first, in my mind I'll isolate the entire drum beat for about 5 minutes. then I'll 'let go' of the hi-hat. Then, for about 5 minutes I'll focus my mind on just the bass and the snare and cymbals. Then about 5 minutes later I'll 'let go' of the cymbals so all I'm focusing on is the snare and bass drum pattern. In another 5 minutes I'll 'let go' of the snare. At this point, if you've been able to maintain a focused mind, your mind should actually be perceiving the bass drum louder, and more pronounced than anything else in the music. Once I'm down to just one, isolated beat I'll stay with that for about 5 minutes and then finally attempt to just 'let go.'

This can work as an active form of mediation, and takes some time. other methods have worked for me but I've found this to be most effective. I think right now my mind is just too unstable to let myself mediate by any passive means.

I wouldn't call what I do meditation per se, but I've always been the quiet, introspective type. I spend some time each day (the amount of time depends on what's going on in my life) thinking about my situation, what's going on, the future... essentially reflection on the recent past and thoughts about the future (both near and far).
I find this pairs well with a nice hookah session :)

Edit: Oh, and I'm also a college student that's kind of freaked out about what I'm going to do post-graduation, even though I'm only a sophomore. I have a bit of a tendency to over-plan and worry. Sometimes you just have to let things happen, but it's also important to recognize when you need to take action as well.

[quote name='jorlyfish' timestamp='1288553291' post='486927']
I wouldn't call what I do meditation per se, but I've always been the quiet, introspective type. I spend some time each day (the amount of time depends on what's going on in my life) thinking about my situation, what's going on, the future... essentially reflection on the recent past and thoughts about the future (both near and far).
I find this pairs well with a nice hookah session :)

Edit: Oh, and I'm also a college student that's kind of freaked out about what I'm going to do post-graduation, even though I'm only a sophomore. I have a bit of a tendency to over-plan and worry. Sometimes you just have to let things happen, but it's also important to recognize when you need to take action as well.
[/quote]

I think one of the keys to a fairly easy life attitude is acceptance. Shit happens and we deal with that by taking action. The problem is that if we take action, we tend to want to influence the results. A wise woman named Kami once told me, I'm in the action business not the results business, I leave the results to god. We all tend to get overwhelmed by all the bullshit that surrounds us, thats meditation brings us back to the empty mind. Of course the empty mind really isn"t "empty" at all. Very few people who are college sophomores know what they want to do. I am 65 and still haven't figured out what i want to be when i grow up. Sometimes we just need to enjoy the ride.
  • Upvote 1

I do not "meditate" based on my personal idea on the topic. But i have practiced hypnosis, mainly self hypnosis, its what is the only thing that gets me to sleep every night. I think it is actually one in the same. i like it because i can get to sleep but i can do it when i am stressed out intensely or upset. It helps me deal with emotional problems. If you need any more Info let me know. I can give (mail) or tell you how it works. But it has worked wonders for me

To me I merge meditation and prayer (at least according to standard definition) I personally don't see a difference between the two. Beyond my Salat I always make time, at least an hour total in a day, to sit and enter into conversation with God -- where I both listen and speak. There should never be a reason that you cannot make time for yourself no matter how hactic life is at the moment. When I'm not contemplating spiritual matters I found a meditative practice that I enjoy. I sit in a familiar room and focus on one thing at a time, each and every object in your possession has a story behind it, where you got it, how you interacted with the people when you bought it/was given it/ect, how it affects your current life, what life would be like without it or with more of it. I think of how each time affects my interactions with other people and my own life, I have actually gotten rid of some things because I realize they've brought nothing but bad interactions and bad "juju" to my life, I've also learned to appriciate other things more.

I meditate in the tub with a nice glass of wine and a candle. I think its helps with my over all well being.
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
I like to sit in my hammock chair on my dock and just watch the water and day dream. Shrooms (as some people call them) are also a great way to meditate, you can think so much deeper about your life and what you want to do with it, they are the best. :D

I'm currently taking a philosophy course and my professor requires us to meditate at the beginning of class before we begin. I've actually started to do it outside of class because it helps set your state of consciousness to be more aware and observant. It really helps me clear my mind.

• 3 weeks later...
I really believe in proper usage of the I-doser programs. Do they make you spaz out and twitch? No, absolutely not. All the videos are fake, all of the people laughing histarically are fake. However, I have a few of the 30 minute - Hour long sessions that put me in the deepest state of calm and lullessnes. I love them. Great way to mentally de-tox yourself, imo. I feel completely at peace with myself, almost an inner euphoria during and right after. Good before bed.

• 2 months later...
[quote name='TheyCallMeDave' timestamp='1292366441' post='491347']
I really believe in proper usage of the I-doser programs. Do they make you spaz out and twitch? No, absolutely not. All the videos are fake, all of the people laughing histarically are fake. However, I have a few of the 30 minute - Hour long sessions that put me in the deepest state of calm and lullessnes. I love them. Great way to mentally de-tox yourself, imo. I feel completely at peace with myself, almost an inner euphoria during and right after. Good before bed.
[/quote]

I've recently been turned on to binaural beats, but I can only find what I find on the youtube, would you point me in the right direction?

• 2 months later...
I meditate too, just in the shower. I'll sit in a curled up position and let the water run over my head. Its very relaxing and helps me think about everything going on. I tend to not think of the negatives, like bills, work, etc, but just random stuff (mostly hookah stuff, lol). I usually do it for 30-45 min.

After meditating, I usually smoke hookah which helps with relaxing and being calm. All-in-all, both activities combine for a very relaxing experience.

[quote name='ilikemyusername' timestamp='1298858953' post='499770']
[quote name='TheyCallMeDave' timestamp='1292366441' post='491347']
[/quote]

I've recently been turned on to binaural beats, but I can only find what I find on the youtube, would you point me in the right direction?
[/quote]

The only way I can help you with that is honestly, using a torrent program to download it. The one I got had every single beat, all 40 something of them, with descriptions, strength meters, classifications, etc. It was a wonderful program, that I sadly don't own anymore. But my suggestion would be through file sharing. It's the only way I found it.

I have been using a self hypnosis app I got on my phone for free..I was having alot of trouble sleeping and having super weird dreams that would wake me up..Much to my surprise I use this before and while sleeping..my sleep has become better and so far the dreams have ceased on my concious level, so hopefully this will continue. I wish you all the best of luck as I believe everyone needs some form of meditation.

• 2 weeks later...
Off to work. I will post in this thread soon, I've got a bit to say here.

You know what's the best substance for meditation? Can(n)abis. Doesn't kill you or leave you addicted either.

I have been meditating off and on for 14 years. I've found that it always calms me down, I never leave a meditation session more stressed out. However things will come up during meditation. As your mind gets quieter you start to see whats in your subconscious. Some things can be scary, can make you cry, anger you, or turn you on. Any number of things can happen. The longer you meditate the deeper you go and the quieter your mind gets with cessation of the mental chatter as your goal. My practice includes slow controlled breathing while silently repeating a mantra with my eyes closed in a seated position. Hatha Yoga is helpful for meditation and was actually designed to prepare the body for lengthy meditations. Pranayama is good beforehand as well. If done regularly it will change your life for the better. But be prepared it's not all milk and honey especially at first as your body gets used to sitting. Start off with a little time, 10-15 minutes and gradually increase the duration of uninterrupted meditation. 30-45 minutes is a good goal for an average practice. You can always go longer if you desire. Good luck and stay positive. You will gain so many benefits in all areas of your life.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been meditating regularly ever since I was in college. I try to do it daily, once in the morning and once before I go to bed. I also repeat mantras to myself while I'm at work, and that really helps me get through the day. My friends have said that I have become much more mellow and down to earth. There's a reason I changed my avatar and signature to the ones I currently have now.

• 2 weeks later...
I started meditating regularly ohhh, 6 months ago? It, along with other spiritual practices (energy work, etc), has been my saving grace through a very rough and tumultuous period in my life. I've gone into deep trance states a few times. For me it's been grounding. I've become committed to discovering my truths, who I am, and self-improvement. Self discovery with an intent to be the best me I can be. Life discovery. Some of the things you discover are scary and not so desirable. Some I've discovered have proven depth and character I always admired to be what I value and am in fact capable of. I've taken these discoveries in meditation and applied them to my daily life. I meditate at the gym almost every workout after cardio before weights, and throughout my week as needed.

But for a moment fuck depth and spiritual jargon...it's WONDERFUL to slowwww the fuccck dowwwnnn. We are so pressured to keep up such a fast pace that we're watching our own lives speed by right before our eyes. We've forgotten what it is to just be, just live in the moment. If anything just the opportunity to slow down, process my current state, give some prayers, some thanks, let my mind go, let it go even further, and explore is incredibly soothing. To feel that it's OKAY to just be. To simply sit. And exist. And breath. MAN what a load off. I always feel lighter. I always feel clearer and more conducive to love, giving and receiving such. And relaxing into a deeeeep breathing state is the most natural and wonderful thing. Then you have a moment back into surface consciousness and realize how slow your breath is and how you didn't have any focus on it for so long and it's freakin cool.

Often I practice chakra alignment exercises during meditation as well. Been to a guided group meditation, it was incredible.

I need them less and less but find incense, darkness, heat, and ambient music to really aid in my meditative times. Listening to solffegio frequencies helps too, or using a resonance bowl. Just chanting the Om or plucking a single string on the guitar can really help me let go.

So much Eastern practice is so contrary to our "Western" logic that it can be bizarre to LET GO as opposed to holding on, holding on, deathgrip, arrrrrgh!

Anywho, I could go on and philosophize but it's really early in the AM and my brain is not functioning at peak so I'll leave the smart talk for later on.

/random thoughts on a practice I am no expert on but have come to intimately love and have no plans to ever stop practicing. Everyone in my life has noticed a marked difference in me.