New Desktop Computer Advice

joytron

Hey all,

So I am in the market for a new desktop for school, and have no idea where to start, pretty much its amazing i found the power button to turn this one on. So I want something that is good for multitasking, has enough memory for music (30-40 gigs), and doesn't always crash. I dont do any gaming and dont do video or music editing. Dont really care about speakers either since i just use my headphones. Im not sure what else it needed.

Probably your best bet would be an HP. When I was PC the best computer I ever had was a Sony Vaio laptop, but Sony's are usually slightly higher than other computers. Not I have a Macbook Pro though for school reasons (needed Final Cut Pro for editing). But for the money and functionality it seems HP is full of win.

get a dell...even though their tech support is horrible, it's actually better than most other companies.

or just go to best buy and tell them what you want to do....they'll pick out something for you. and the best part is you can refund it, if it sucks....

I could build you a rig if you'd like.

if you wanna just buy something, honestly if you arent power crazy any rig on the market will do you just fine, and they all come with good warranties. Just find out who has the best customer service and go with them, I wouldn't know because i build desktops, i don't buy them, and I only buy ASUS laptops ... so I am not too familiar with brands. Just surf some computer forums for good info.

I have been a techie forever.

I have come to the conclusion about home computers as I have for cars.

"They have a shelf life. They aren't going to last forever. Spending money to trick them out in ways that hardly do anything is a waste of money. They are there to get a job done, not impress The Jones'."

I do recommend Dell, Toshiba and Sony. HP and Gateway give me nightmares just thinking the massive migraine I get if I have to call Tech Support.

[quote name='Stuie' date='18 February 2010 - 01:46 PM' timestamp='1266518769' post='452209']
I have been a techie forever.

I have come to the conclusion about home computers as I have for cars.

[b]"They have a shelf life. They aren't going to last forever. Spending money to trick them out in ways that hardly do anything is a waste of money. They are there to get a job done, not impress The Jones'."[/b]

I do recommend Dell, Toshiba and Sony. HP and Gateway give me nightmares just thinking the massive migraine I get if I have to call Tech Support.
[/quote]

Exactly, and at the rate stuff is always getting better, just get something simple that will work for what you need. Thats why I'm starting to prefer to build them now, you can easily upgrade parts.

[quote name='joytron' date='18 February 2010 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1266532439' post='452264']
Thanks for all the info guys, any advice on ram/rom? Also what do you all think about new egg or would a computer store be a better option?
[/quote]

RAM depending on your OS you will be using Windows 32 bit (XP and 7) Max out at 4GB if you are running 64bit OS

Then the new limits on 7 for 64 bit are:
[list][*]Starter: 8GB[*]Home Basic: 8GB[*]Home Premium: 16GB[*]Professional: 192GB[*]Enterprise: 192GB[*]Ultimate: 192GB[/list]Why windows won't break the 32 bit 4gb barrier is beyond me.

New Egg is great. Depends on who you trust locally though.

[quote name='Stuie' date='18 February 2010 - 05:51 PM' timestamp='1266533499' post='452270']
[quote name='joytron' date='18 February 2010 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1266532439' post='452264']
Thanks for all the info guys, any advice on ram/rom? Also what do you all think about new egg or would a computer store be a better option?
[/quote]

RAM depending on your OS you will be using Windows 32 bit (XP and 7) Max out at 4GB if you are running 64bit OS

[list][*]Starter: 8GB[*]Home Basic: 8GB[*]Home Premium: 16GB[*]Professional: 192GB[*]Enterprise: 192GB[*]Ultimate: 192GB[/list]Why windows won't break the 32 bit 4gb barrier is beyond me.

[/quote]
Hmmm looks like I need some more ram... 192gb, why would you ever need that?

[quote name='ryno' date='18 February 2010 - 12:59 PM' timestamp='1266533999' post='452271']
[quote name='Stuie' date='18 February 2010 - 05:51 PM' timestamp='1266533499' post='452270']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Hmmm looks like I need some more ram... 192gb, why would you ever need that?
[/quote]
it's for people who have REALLY small e-peens.

...192gb for people that run 3d animation studios and what nots. most people actually dont use mac os to do that stuff.
im running win7 ultimate but mainly because i had vista ult so it was the easiest upgrade.

personally as someone who worked at bestbuy for 4 years and still work in IT i will tell you this - do your own research. dont let some asshat teenager with a blueshirt tell you what's good.
if you want something very simple to use that has all the necessities for media/normal use go with a mac. if you want to be able to do anything and everything build your own.
mac and windows arent as different as people like to make it seem. i like this analogy: mac is for the luxury driver - windows is for the gearhead.

if you want windows almost all of the laptops on the market are the same hardware wise - it comes down to branding and support. hp/toshiba are 2 brands ive had good luck with.
and yes most computers have a shelf life avg of 1/5-2years. They will all break...even a mac. I've watched one catch on fire while running a harddrive test so dont let the dumba-i mean the geniouses tell you mac is the best bc they dont break. LIES!

Hp or a Macbook, dont go with dell, i wish i never had gotten one as my laptop. (thing crashes all the time, cheap parts, and when i need part replacements they only give refurbished not new which, mind you, ive had to re replace 4 times)

if not id say build yourself a desktop using newegg.com for parts.
feel free to message me if you need more help!

Dell is hit or miss, some last forever and some have tons of issues. Sony's have poor reliability as well but are nice rigs, the software that comes installed is good, but power hungry. I prefer to build a comp and have no software or "bloatware" on the comp so I can install what I need and nothing more.

Stuie Microsoft doesn't go up to the 64 bit only and still offers the 32 bit because there is still a lot of production for 32 bit systems, motherboard and cpu have to support 64 bit as well as all drivers in order to run 64 bit os. If people don't need 4gb of memory, which majority of people still don't need, they will offer the 32 bit so people aren't FORCED to buy the new stuff, and f over all the companies who have hardware that is no longer useful, it would hurt the pc industry big time, and microsoft does not want that.

for your uses, you don't really need anything special. you just need a rig that is built with high quality parts. your only real stipulation is hard drive space, and hard drives are cheap. I've had hit and misses with Dell (at work as an IT), and I'm a total thinkpad fanboy. whats your budget? desktop or laptop? have you considered adding a hard drive to the computer you are currently using?

I personally believe that the shelf life of a well built computer is only until the technology becomes horribly out of date. I only buy/build computers that meet this ideal. my IBM thinkpad T42 is going on 5.5 years strong and I treat it very rough. I also have a 8.5 year old HP desktop that while incredibly slow today, is very reliable.

I used to have a dell desktop, worst piece of shit i've ever owned. BUT that was quite a few years ago so chances are high that they are better now.

Right now I have an HP gaming laptop, It's great other than the shoddy fans they use in them, not that this really matters for your desktop, just saying make sure you know what you're getting by reading reviews before you buy a pre-built computer.

DELL = STILL SHIT, shotty parts, bad service (india), and other then theyre on site techs they are just not well run
HP= DECENT, Solid customer service though which is nice, and usually backed by a nice replacement warranty
NEWEGG.com= The best place to buy computer parts and build this sucker, if you need help im willing to help you build via video chat (not to be creepy lol)

you can also check out
tigerdirect
zoomzipfly
and
superbiiz

for some parts. goodluck

I definitely recommend building one yourself over newegg as well. I'm done with pre-built systems that won't meet my needs and are horribly overpriced.

I wouldn't be too scared with building a system yourself. To make sure I had a thorough understanding of what I was doing and what parts actually do, I did buy a couple of build your own pc type books. I know, it sounds ridiculous, but it really helped calm my nerves and get over that initial hump with starting the first build.

If you just want to buy something instead of building one yourself, any brand will do. They all suck equally, lol.

I don't get all the Dell hating.

I mean all customer support is back US side. Round Rock, TX or Oklahoma City, OK.

I have worked with 3 large companies over the past decade all Dells. I have bought more dells for my personal use than building them. Never had any of the problems you describe. But it comes down to preference I guess.

[quote name='Stuie' date='23 February 2010 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1266959812' post='453181']
I don't get all the Dell hating.

I mean all customer support is back US side. Round Rock, TX or Oklahoma City, OK.

I have worked with 3 large companies over the past decade all Dells. I have bought more dells for my personal use than building them. Never had any of the problems you describe. But it comes down to preference I guess.
[/quote]

I think they are just hit or miss. I had a dell desktop for 7 years and it ran fine the whole time. I've known other people that have had dells and they've been horrible, but then again, I dont think they knew howto maintain a pc either.

I've been working with PCS for around 5-7 years now be it building related or software related, ive had to have roughly 4-5 dell based mobos replaced by their techs, each time to call in for replacement ive been connected to india (they are not fully based in the U.S in regards to customer service, at least according to the 3 different tech service people who work for them claimed) and to be fair ive also dealt with them myself. I think my primary dislike for them is they never replace faulty components with "new" components, only refurbs of other faulty products... kinda sleezy.

I'm not primarily hating on dell to hate, its just a known fact that they arent the company they use to be in regards to quality PC parts, lasting components, and solid customer service.
And not to say that im sure you can get a "hit" on the pc of your dreams when ordering from them, its just id rather bank my money on my own effort, solid BRAND NEW components of newegg, and if not me building then HP's outstanding customer service.

Fuck it all just get a mac lol and scuse the "french"

[quote name='A13lackFish' date='23 February 2010 - 04:31 PM' timestamp='1266960709' post='453193']
I've been working with PCS for around 5-7 years now be it building related or software related, ive had to have roughly 4-5 dell based mobos replaced by their techs, each time to call in for replacement ive been connected to india (they are not fully based in the U.S in regards to customer service, at least according to the 3 different tech service people who work for them claimed) and to be fair ive also dealt with them myself. I think my primary dislike for them is they never replace faulty components with "new" components, only refurbs of other faulty products... kinda sleezy.

I'm not primarily hating on dell to hate, its just a known fact that they arent the company they use to be in regards to quality PC parts, lasting components, and solid customer service.
And not to say that im sure you can get a "hit" on the pc of your dreams when ordering from them, its just id rather bank my money on my own effort, solid BRAND NEW components of newegg, and if not me building then HP's outstanding customer service.

Fuck it all just get a mac lol and scuse the "french"
[/quote]

I agree 100% with building your own pc. I just had a class where I got to build one and keep it and I'll probably never buy one again, just build a new one.