Please Take A Sec To Answer My Polls Concerning Hookah Smokers.

Hookah Demographics  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Do you regularly use any other tobacco products besides shisha? Please specify if not listed.

• Yes, I smoke cigarettes.
    • Yes, I smoke cigars.
    • Yes, I use smokeless tobacco.
    • Yes, I do all of the above.
    • No, I only smoke shisha.
  2. 2. What is your gender?

• Male
    • Female
  3. 3. What age group do you fit in?

• 18-22
    • 23-27
    • 28-32
    • 33-37
    • 38-42
    • 43-47
    • 48+

Smoke everyday 2-3 bowls a day, ive smoked cigars. cigarettes, and pipes, but havent really enjoyed them all that much. Been smoking for about 2 years, started smoking hookah while waiting to get a tattoo in the St. Louis U-City Loop.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Hobbs @ Feb 1 2009, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Tati @ Feb 1 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Theres 6 girls????
Anyways, Ive been smoking for about 3 years now, first time was at a hookah lounge.

I'd agree with GNU on this one, it's just because it is the internet. This isn't my only method of research however.. smile.gif

I just mean that I have never seen more than like 3 girls here...
Kat, Boho, popcorn, and?

And yes, I know there are more girls that smoke. girl_cool.gif

I'm 41. I smoke cigars occasionally, pipes occasionally, and hookah regularly. I smoke 5-6 days a week. Generally most of the day when I am working at the lounge. Call it 1- 1 1/2 Phunnels a day. Ive been smoking about 5 years now I guess.

Yes i can tell that it has effected my stamina and overall health. I get sick more often and those are usually sinus or respiratory infections.

Enjoy yourselves while you are young...you WILL end up paying for it.

I smoke hookah about once a day however, it's generally two bowls for one session.

I do smoke cigarettes and cigars but no smokeless. Cigarette consumption is about 4-6 in a regular day. Drinking and stressful situations, that can spike as high as half a pack or more. Shisha, I've been smoking for about 2 3/4 years. Cigarettes, year and a half. I dunno when I started to enjoy cigars.

Best of luck on your project!

Bleh, I couldn't type fast enough to get in the edit. Here's some more I wanted to say about hookah.

I started to smoke hookah because the area I live in (when I'm not at school) has a very high middle eastern population. In particular Armenians. Glendale has the second largest concentration of Armenians outside the capital city of Armenia. But overall, many many people here do smoke hookah. Since many have grown up around it, it fails to be a real hobby unlike for us where we take it pretty seriously. They have pretty crappy hookah biggrin.gif.

Damn there's a lot of 18-22 year olds on this forum. I've been smoking hookah for a little over 7 years. My first experience was at a King Tut's Hookah Lounge in Tempe, AZ. The clientele was a lot different before; lots of Middle Eastern men and families would go there. Over the years the place became over run by college kids of course.

Currently, I smoke about 3 to 4 times a week. Good luck on your report and let us know if you need any additional help.

I've been smoking hookah for about 4-5 years now. I had previosly smoked ciggarettes, hookah helped me quit. I enjoy the fact that there is no instant gratification with the hookah, it is a process and the setup of the hookah is just as much a part of the enjoyment as smoking it is. With cigarettes, there is no joy in just lighting a smoke and puffing away, it's too easy.

Also, i find myself often leaving my hookahs untouched for several months at a time, just because i can. I don't need to smoke, i just enjoy it. When i am smoking, i will usually smoke 6-7 days a week,but most times not more than once a day.

The demographics are a rather one-sided affair..

Anyway, I've been smoking for about 2 years when my best friend from high school bought a hookah. It used to be something that I'd look forward to over breaks when I went home from college until I couldn't stand the wait in between and just bought one for myself. I smoke on average 5-9 bowls per week. Well I did until my burnzomatic fat boy ran out of propane. Hope that helps and best of luck with the project.

+1 for you scoop for snus usage! I smoke maybe once a week and snus it up about 3 times a week. I like to keep it to this small number to get the most out of each session, makes it more of a thing to look forward to rather than an everyday thing.

QUOTE (Karot @ Feb 2 2009, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
+1 for you scoop for snus usage! I smoke maybe once a week and snus it up about 3 times a week. I like to keep it to this small number to get the most out of each session, makes it more of a thing to look forward to rather than an everyday thing.

+1 to you good sir! I commend you on commending me on my snus usage biggrin.gif

Yeah snus is the best shit ever...kinda great because i can snus at work without problems...where as i cant set up a hookah =(

QUOTE (Hobbs @ Feb 2 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Dylank0010 @ Feb 2 2009, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could you elaborate why you think this for me please?

Well like some of the other people were saying, it's probably due to this being an internet forum. And not to speak for everyone on here but it may be for a decent majority judging by the statistics posted, college aged males have a tendency to spend waay too much time on computers. Like me! I know plenty of girls who smoke, but they're mostly amateurs in my opinion. They enjoy smoking if me or my friends have it all set up, but they're not avid enough to actually go out and buy one along with all the accessories one needs to smoke like a champ. Not capping on any of the girls on here though. You ladies are LEGIT.

QUOTE (Dylank0010 @ Feb 2 2009, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well like some of the other people were saying, it's probably due to this being an internet forum. And not to speak for everyone on here but it may be for a decent majority judging by the statistics posted, college aged males have a tendency to spend waay too much time on computers. Like me! I know plenty of girls who smoke, but they're mostly amateurs in my opinion. They enjoy smoking if me or my friends have it all set up, but they're not avid enough to actually go out and buy one along with all the accessories one needs to smoke like a champ. Not capping on any of the girls on here though. You ladies are LEGIT.

We are real women, we set up, clean, pack, and light coals...and don't complain about it!

I see it like this, I introduced the husband to hookah, and he introduced me to this forum, and here I am!

QUOTE (Dylank0010 @ Feb 2 2009, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand where you're coming from now, luckily I am prepared!

This is one out of a few methods that I am practicing, I spent a night at the local lounge polling everyone that would let me.. I plan on going back again to do that. I also put questionaires in 3 different tobacco shops. Still thinking about other ways to get info as well.

QUOTE (Hobbs @ Feb 1 2009, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alright, I have to do a 10-15 minute presentation about any sub culture or counter culture I want to pick. Naturally I picked hookah smokers.

This poll will be up for 3-6 weeks and will aid me in gathering valuable information for my presentation.

Feel free to post a comment about your tobacco usage, such as how many days per week you smoke, what other tobacco products you use, how often you use those, how long you have been smoking, where you initially got into hookah, or your location.. etc

Thanks for your participation everyone.

Currently I smoke about 50g of Starbuzz daily except on Sundays. I used to frequent a hookah cafe in Tallahassee, http://www.aladdinstallahassee.com/ for the website, because of the wonderful atmosphere and people. The owner is one of my best friends now, he's Syrian and I love talking to him about Middle Eastern culture. I also, being a religion major, focused my undergrad study in Islam. The arabic music they played was interesting and enjoyable. I've checked out 29 different hookah cafes around the country and have yet to find a place that is the calibur of this place.

Also try calling around to hookah shop owners at different states to see their take on things. A lot of them won't mind spending a while answering questions. This would give you a wider demographic.

QUOTE (FSUReligionMan @ Feb 2 2009, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also try calling around to hookah shop owners at different states to see their take on things. A lot of them won't mind spending a while answering questions. This would give you a wider demographic.

That's a good idea, if any of you guys have links to sites or local phone #'s (Please include area code) I'll call some places up and see what I can find out.