Weight Loss

Stuie

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1335840798' post='546299']
I believe Ray and Jess were joking...
[/quote]
correct this was tongue in cheek. I would never recommend someone do that for real. There is no fad/easy way out. lean meats,fresh veggies,and healthy carbs (brown rice,whole wheat,oats) and watch how much of it you eat. Number one thing to remember is stay hydrated.Your body needs lots of water to do its job.

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1334990654' post='545526']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9SGWcZwk7c[/media]

Brooke and I plan on doing a 10-day reboot here in the next week or so to see how we like it. This film blew my mind, and it'll blow yours, too.
[/quote]

erica i and did this it was awesome and we aren't big caffeine people so it wasn't a big hard thing for us to do but it was good feeling, we do 2-3 days aweek or try its nice :) and yah that movie is mind blowing

That's very encouraging, Pavo. Glad to hear it worked well for you guys. Brooke and I are gonna start it after this weekend because she is graduating and we have family coming up. That means going out to eat, haha.

• 2 months later...
I love how a hookah smoker is complaining about processed food =p.

But yea dieting in the simplest term, is very easy. Limit food that make glucose. Work out all the muscles of your body you can to make them freely prim. to glucose. (walking, jumping jacks, push ups outa do it). Keep measurements in the units of calories and take in 500 calories less then you should daily and you will see wait loss. Add in foods that promote the production of cortison in your body and you can keep up that process, Remember you body doesn't need carbs.

If your gonna quote me and mark where I am incorrect, please do not link a "paper" that says it. You can write w/e you want in "your" paper. As a pre-med student I have most books on the human digestive system, its complex yes, but it is also very basic if you compartmentalize it.

[quote name='kenshinx23' timestamp='1343405481' post='552727']

But yea dieting in the simplest term, is very easy. Limit food that make glucose. Work out all the muscles of your body you can to make them freely prim. to glucose. (walking, jumping jacks, push ups outa do it). Keep measurements in the units of calories and take in 500 calories less then you should daily and you will see wait loss. Add in foods that promote the production of cortison in your body and you can keep up that process, Remember you body doesn't need carbs.

If your gonna quote me and mark where I am incorrect, please do not link a "paper" that says it. You can write w/e you want in "your" paper. As a pre-med student I have most books on the human digestive system, its complex yes, but it is also very basic if you compartmentalize it.
[/quote]

Your brain needs glucose.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1343423169' post='552757']

[/quote]

[/quote]

which is a carbohydrate

[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1343423782' post='552760']
[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1343423169' post='552757']

[/quote]

[/quote]

which is a carbohydrate
[/quote]
yes it does
by this do you mean that glucose only comes from carbs? if so, incorrect. Edited by kenshinx23

[quote name='kenshinx23' timestamp='1343444217' post='552778']
Carbohydrates are not essential in the human body.

sorry for the double post
[/quote]

Glucose is a carb.

[/quote]
If you are a pre-med student and have learned the digestive system and its interlinkings with all the other systems, you'd know your statements are pretty...umm...inconclusive or just wrong.

I still stand by what I've said, that processed food is much worse than smoking hookah on occasion. It's hard to keep out all terrible things from our bodies (mental stress, air pollution, traces of medications in our drinking water, chlorine in our drinking water - well...not mine, fluoride in the drinking water, etc.) but making a conscious effort to decrease those things that you can control can only better your health, can it not? Plus, if I'm getting healing foods and supplements in my body, would that not help decrease the effects that hookah may have on my body? Yes or yes? A lot of people drink their alcohol, I smoke my hookah. Damaging the liver, imo, is far worse than damage to the lungs. The liver, as I'm sure you know as a pre-med student does a lot for the body, the most important (in terms of the current topic) is its interaction with your hormone system. While the lungs can detoxify the body to a point, the liver does it on a much grander scale (as does the skin). Btw I remember those pre-med courses and they were not very informative and are very basic in its teachings; it isn't until you get into graduate courses and specialty seminars that you really learn about the body (more so the seminars than anything).

Dieting for some people is not as simple as you claim. If the endocrine system isn't functioning properly and you do nothing to heal the glands and organs, then people can try many things with very little results. Not to mention so many people have a sodium-potassium imbalance that cutting a few calories won't even fix and once that balance is overcome, the weight pretty much melts off (but I'm sure you know that through your classes and how this imbalance can cause a lot of water retention and won't go away until you fix that imbalance).

[b]"Add in foods that promote the production of cortison..."[/b]. For one, cortisone* is a drug, which is used to treat inflammation in the medical realm. But I'm going to take a gander and say you meant cortisol. And that is one hormone you want to [b]decrease[/b], [i]not [/i]increase the production of. Cortisol stops all your fat burning hormones from being created for 24-48 hours after being produced (may be longer). Increased cortisol is MANY people's problems as to why they can't lose weight (adrenal overload/fatigue/etc). But since you don't want to expand you knowledge and let me link you to articles about it, maybe you can use your "pre-med" status and get into pubmed and do a lil reading. I really think you need to do some more research before using words you don't even know nor giving advice and proper diet...or ridiculing people for wanting to be on a natural diet and be as far away from processed foods and pharmaceuticals as possible.

Side note: I don't think I need to go into the stats of iatrogenic deaths or permanent injuries, let alone the ones that could have easily been prevented since...you know...you are a pre-med student and all and I'm sure they go over all that in your classes so you guys can be a lil more careful on the job. And if it weren't for the smart nurses out there, my guess is those iatrogenic death stats per year would be a lot higher than they currently are. If you are going to be an MD, just remember to listen to your smart nurses and the ones that have good intuition; you will save many more lives if you do, as long as you put aside your pride and not think you know more than them. *note, I'm not a nurse just trying to help a future (?) MD prevent future preventable deaths*

I hope this was a lil more informative than your current classes have been.

If I remember correctly, your brain can utilize ketones which are produced in the absence of glucose. There are people out there that firmly believe that your body needs 0 dietary carbs and these people are living healthy lives from what I've seen and heard even though the medical literature states that it will do the body harm.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1343458464' post='552784']

[/quote]
If you are a pre-med student and have learned the digestive system and its interlinkings with all the other systems, you'd know your statements are pretty...umm...inconclusive or just wrong.

I still stand by what I've said, that processed food is much worse than smoking hookah on occasion. It's hard to keep out all terrible things from our bodies (mental stress, air pollution, traces of medications in our drinking water, chlorine in our drinking water - well...not mine, fluoride in the drinking water, etc.) but making a conscious effort to decrease those things that you can control can only better your health, can it not? Plus, if I'm getting healing foods and supplements in my body, would that not help decrease the effects that hookah may have on my body? Yes or yes? A lot of people drink their alcohol, I smoke my hookah. Damaging the liver, imo, is far worse than damage to the lungs. The liver, as I'm sure you know as a pre-med student does a lot for the body, the most important (in terms of the current topic) is its interaction with your hormone system. While the lungs can detoxify the body to a point, the liver does it on a much grander scale (as does the skin). Btw I remember those pre-med courses and they were not very informative and are very basic in its teachings; it isn't until you get into graduate courses and specialty seminars that you really learn about the body (more so the seminars than anything).

Dieting for some people is not as simple as you claim. If the endocrine system isn't functioning properly and you do nothing to heal the glands and organs, then people can try many things with very little results. Not to mention so many people have a sodium-potassium imbalance that cutting a few calories won't even fix and once that balance is overcome, the weight pretty much melts off (but I'm sure you know that through your classes and how this imbalance can cause a lot of water retention and won't go away until you fix that imbalance).

[b]"Add in foods that promote the production of cortison..."[/b]. For one, cortisone* is a drug, which is used to treat inflammation in the medical realm. But I'm going to take a gander and say you meant cortisol. And that is one hormone you want to [b]decrease[/b], [i]not [/i]increase the production of. Cortisol stops all your fat burning hormones from being created for 24-48 hours after being produced (may be longer). Increased cortisol is MANY people's problems as to why they can't lose weight (adrenal overload/fatigue/etc). But since you don't want to expand you knowledge and let me link you to articles about it, maybe you can use your "pre-med" status and get into pubmed and do a lil reading. I really think you need to do some more research before using words you don't even know nor giving advice and proper diet...or ridiculing people for wanting to be on a natural diet and be as far away from processed foods and pharmaceuticals as possible.

Side note: I don't think I need to go into the stats of iatrogenic deaths or permanent injuries, let alone the ones that could have easily been prevented since...you know...you are a pre-med student and all and I'm sure they go over all that in your classes so you guys can be a lil more careful on the job. And if it weren't for the smart nurses out there, my guess is those iatrogenic death stats per year would be a lot higher than they currently are. If you are going to be an MD, just remember to listen to your smart nurses and the ones that have good intuition; you will save many more lives if you do, as long as you put aside your pride and not think you know more than them. *note, I'm not a nurse just trying to help a future (?) MD prevent future preventable deaths*

[/quote]

LOL @google.

[quote name='kenshinx23' timestamp='1344962238' post='554057']
[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1343458464' post='552784']

[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL @google.
[/quote]
No rebuttal and a joke for a response. Classic of someone who doesn't know what they are talking about just to try to make them look cool (or stupid?). :rolleyes:

Wow it's been 4 years since I started this thread... sadly I bring it all back to the original post.

Here it is 4 years later and I am back to square 1. 350 and chronically depressed. A year ago I was down to 275 I had done HCG twice and lost a ton. So what set me back to my old ways? A year ago next week my son was born, as wonderful as that was, it say me back on bad paths. How? In 12 months my son has only slept through the night 3 times and that has been in the past 2 weeks. I don't get enough sleep, I now am back to double fisting Dr Pepper everyday. I attempted juicing a while back, caught the flu 4 days into it. Tried to go no sugar, no starch, after 3 days I caved.

I know carbs and sugar are bad for me, they do make me fill worse later on, but my body craves it like a drug. Quitting cigs years ago was easier than dropping carbs and sugar. I know my body is a protein type, based on several tests I have done, I just can't seem to do it.

I don't have time or the money to join a gym.

I am back to seriously considering surgery. Mostly because a year ago I could get just about any doctor to get me on HCG regiment, now almost no one does it and that's kind of a big warning to me.

I had thought of Hypnosis, part of me doesn't believe me and the other part doesn't want to drive to the Metroplex to do it.

I have considered doing juicing again, I have also heard about the Paelo diet (sp?).

Any tips. ideas, thoughts, or encourage is desperately appreciated.

on a forum where you have no idea, you attack me on a personal level, as if you took offence to me being a pre-med. I will not respond to that. second you may taken a few med classes, i cant not say if you or did not, but if you did, do you really think that post was more informative? if you do, it's just a another reason for me to not entertain you.

but cortisone is a hormone realeased by adrenal gland, and yes it's main fuction is fighting inflamation and is released in response to stress.

but at the end of the day cortisone can be considered an inactive metabolite of cortisol. However, 11-beta-steroid dehydrogenase can catalyze the reverse reaction as well, and, thus, cortisone is also the inactive precursor molecule of the active hormone cortisol.

aka it will use a retarded amout of apt if you don't actually have an injuries and in most cases use trigly. storage (fats) for the energy.

I claimed that if you eat lesser calories then you will cut down on weight. Then you said

''Dieting for some people is not as simple as you claim. If the endocrine system isn't functioning properly and you do nothing to heal the glands and organs, then people can try many things with very little results. Not to mention so many people have a sodium-potassium imbalance that cutting a few calories won't even fix and once that balance is overcome, the weight pretty much melts off (but I'm sure you know that through your classes and how this imbalance can cause a lot of water retention and won't go away until you fix that imbalance).''

yea sure, but i wasn't talking about diseased states. and like you stated ones those states are fixed the weight comes right of. well only if you eat less calories then your body needs.

okay sorry for being so of topic, i give my word this was my last post in this topic.

@stu- have you tired caffeine pills? they aren't really that bad for if get the pure stuff, well since your already dring so much soda, im sure your body is no stranger to caffeine, how ever the pills would give you the boost you need, last way long if you get a slow realease capsule and save you 40grams of sugar per can Edited by kenshinx23

[quote name='kenshinx23' timestamp='1345089418' post='554195']
on a forum where you have no idea, you attack me on a personal level, as if you took offence to me being a pre-med. I will not respond to that. second you may taken a few med classes, i cant not say if you or did not, but if you did, do you really think that post was more informative? if you do, it's just a another reason for me to not entertain you.

but cortisone is a hormone realeased by adrenal gland, and yes it's main fuction is fighting inflamation and is released in response to stress.

but at the end of the day cortisone can be considered an inactive metabolite of cortisol. However, 11-beta-steroid dehydrogenase can catalyze the reverse reaction as well, and, thus, cortisone is also the inactive precursor molecule of the active hormone cortisol.

aka it will use a retarded amout of apt if you don't actually have an injuries and in most cases use trigly. storage (fats) for the energy.

I claimed that if you eat lesser calories then you will cut down on weight. Then you said

''Dieting for some people is not as simple as you claim. If the endocrine system isn't functioning properly and you do nothing to heal the glands and organs, then people can try many things with very little results. Not to mention so many people have a sodium-potassium imbalance that cutting a few calories won't even fix and once that balance is overcome, the weight pretty much melts off (but I'm sure you know that through your classes and how this imbalance can cause a lot of water retention and won't go away until you fix that imbalance).''

yea sure, but i wasn't talking about diseased states. and like you stated ones those states are fixed the weight comes right of. well only if you eat less calories then your body needs.

okay sorry for being so of topic, i give my word this was my last post in this topic.

@stu- have you tired caffeine pills? they aren't really that bad for if get the pure stuff, well since your already dring so much soda, im sure your body is no stranger to caffeine, how ever the pills would give you the boost you need, last way long if you get a slow realease capsule and save you 40grams of sugar per can
[/quote]
The whole basis of your original post is claiming that you want to create more cortisone to lose weight, when in reality, it does just the opposite, not to mention the breakdown of proteins in the body and increasing glucose throughout the body. That is definitely a formula to make someone fat.

Secondly, I'd like to read up on your source about what you've said about cortisone. Sadly, and I admit to being wrong, I didn't know that the body actually made cortisone and cannot find anything online or in the undergrad physio book I have. I wish I had bought the Guyton book a while ago as I know that is the bible of physiology that all the other physio books base their stuff off of (and make it "user friendly" as Guyton was very technical - I did get to read exerts from it while I was in graduate school for Chiropractic). So, not trying to knock you and what you are saying, but I'm intrigued by a physiological process I've never heard of. Questions I want answered that hopefully your reference has is, when is cortisone made (what is the cascade of events, what triggers it, etc)? How much does someone typically make?

And to reference your "diseased state" answer. No, these people are not in diseased states. These are subclinical. Unless you actually get the organ and hormone systems working properly (not diseased, remember that), then you will have a very hard time losing weight. For instance, if all your life you've stressed your liver with processed foods, alcohol, chemicals, and other toxins, your liver will not be able to process and breakdown the hormones properly/efficiently. This will lead to weight gain and/or water retention. After doing a lil research on this to make sure I wasn't just making this up, I found out it even plays a role with cortisone, imagine that.

The calorie intake "diet" is just a myth. Don't believe me, look it up for yourself. If you can get your organs and glands (hormones) working for you, you have little to worry about with calorie intake (as long as you aren't taking in the bad calories that will ruin said systems). There's a lot of myths out there that the general population still believe in even though they've been debunked years ago. Cholesterol being another one, which I hope you look into since you are going into the med field that still points its fingers at cholesterol being a nasty culprit.

Anyways, I hope you do come back to continue this friendly conversation. I apologize for getting somewhat hostile, I just feel that much of your information was incorrect and misleading and wouldn't want someone to read it and think there wasn't another side to the coin. I did take the Hippocratic Oath and like to help as many people as I can. I, however, know that I do not know everything in the world about the body and its systems and am always willing to learn more if it means I can help my patients in the future.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1345089270' post='554194']
Wow it's been 4 years since I started this thread... sadly I bring it all back to the original post.

Here it is 4 years later and I am back to square 1. 350 and chronically depressed. A year ago I was down to 275 I had done HCG twice and lost a ton. So what set me back to my old ways? A year ago next week my son was born, as wonderful as that was, it say me back on bad paths. How? In 12 months my son has only slept through the night 3 times and that has been in the past 2 weeks. I don't get enough sleep, I now am back to double fisting Dr Pepper everyday. I attempted juicing a while back, caught the flu 4 days into it. Tried to go no sugar, no starch, after 3 days I caved.

I know carbs and sugar are bad for me, they do make me fill worse later on, but my body craves it like a drug. Quitting cigs years ago was easier than dropping carbs and sugar. I know my body is a protein type, based on several tests I have done, I just can't seem to do it.

I am back to seriously considering surgery. Mostly because a year ago I could get just about any doctor to get me on HCG regiment, now almost no one does it and that's kind of a big warning to me.

I had thought of Hypnosis, part of me doesn't believe me and the other part doesn't want to drive to the Metroplex to do it.

I have considered doing juicing again, I have also heard about the Paelo diet (sp?).

[/quote]
Man, I'm sorry to hear about all of that. I know I'm a bit biased due to the profession I'm in, but have you considered taking your child to a chiropractor? We have countless studies showing how effective it is on kids and I know many that have taken their kids to a chiropractor due to very similar reasons you state (not sleeping much) and afterwards the kid sleeps like an angel. I make no promises on that but I figured it might be worth a try. Definitely find one that specializes in pediatrics since we aren't taught that much (maybe a few hours...?) and you have to take outside seminars to become certified in pediatric care. I have many friends that have done that and the things they can do are unbelievable. You may even consider going for yourself.

As for the cravings...I'm with you man. But you made it to day 3...and day 3 is the TOUGHEST. Another day to maybe 3 more would have set you on track to not craving it at all. So don't give up. You failed because you've tried. And you can not succeed if you do not try. So don't stop [s]believing[/s] trying.

As for the Paleo diet. It consists of eating like our ancestors. Meaning, fruits, veggies, nuts, and rare meat (I believe...I only picked up the book for a lil bit and then started reading Weston Prices' book on nutrition - I plan on getting back to the Paleo book soon).

There are products out there that can likely help you. I would try to find a chiro that is certified as an Internal Health Specialist. There are products there that help those with metabolic syndrome (syndrome x), which is said to be pre-diabetic (I'm not sure if you are or not) and there are products that have helped people with diabetes. I've been also reading up on alpha-glycoproteins, which I just got done talking to a diabetic person the other week and she used a product made of alpha-glycoproteins derived from purple rice from Thyland or something. She was able to get off all her meds, started feeling amazing while taking it, and is now walking (and maybe jogging, I forget) marathons. I can get her to contact you if you'd like so she can tell you more about what she's been doing that has helped her succeed in her battle with diabetes and weightloss.

I know there are herbs out there that cut the cravings of carbs down tremendously. A friend of mine said they helped, but what really helped was when he would chew them up when he got a craving he couldn't resist... He would chew them up before taking a bite out of, say a cookie, and he said it made it taste extremely bland so he wouldn't want to eat it anymore. If you want, I can get the name of that herb for you.

One thing I'm going to be doing once family is out of town and after I've had all this bad food and alcohol is to do a liver detox, which may work for you as well. I plan on doing coffee enemas (some reading material - talks about losing weight and other benefits - [url="http://www.naturalnews.com/036763_coffee_enemas_detoxification_natural_cures.html"]1[/url], [url="http://www.naturalnews.com/031086_liver_cleanse_weight_loss.html"]2[/url], [url="http://www.naturalnews.com/coffee_enemas.html"]3[/url]), drinking cranberry juice with lemon (diluted of course, way too bitter when you drink straight cranberry juice, which btw, is somewhat hard to find since so many cranberry juices are made with apple juice, other fruit juice, and packed with sugar), and going on a raw diet until I feel fully detoxed, then I'll start mixing in some steamed veggies, and possibly some cooked veggies. I just have to do a little more research on the coffee enemas, how often I can do them, and if it will throw off my potassium levels (my wife brought that point to my attention since she is a nurse and has had to deal with dehydrated patients after they've had an enema), so I can get back to you if you'd like with what I find.

Continue with your journey to health!

[/quote]

I'd never think to assume that I have any answers for you - I'm a stranger and you're the one living in your body.

But, maybe giving up things cold turkey isn't great for your particular physiology. Maybe just cutting down on the pure sugar/pure starchy stuff (pasta, rice) that comes with little nutrition would be helpful for you. I dunno, I've lost a lot of weight, gained a little of what I lost back due to rebound from all the restriction and now I'm just trying to eat what I can (I have some food sensitivities).

I eat primarily local, grass-fed (or pastured and 'nicely' treated) beef/pork/lamb/goat that I get as direct from the farmers that raise them as possible. Starches that I can tolerate are sweet potato and little white rice. Some veggies when I'm in the mood for them. No fruit, no other starches at all. Man they make me feel like crap (especially wheat). =(

I'm not going to kid you and pretend that I'm thin. I'm not, but I'm getting *healthier* than I was when I had less body fat. I'm OK with that.

There's a few sites that I've found helpful for paleo stuff, if you are interested I'd be happy to share them with you.

Just don't give up. You *can* lose body fat and be heathier and fitter.

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1345574418' post='554665']
Best advice I ever heard........

Eat real food, mostly plants, not too much, and move every opportunity you have.

'Rani
[/quote]

Oh! And I've done both Paleo and Vegan, and something very, very interesting I noticed. Both dramatically improved my health and yet they're seemingly opposite of each other. But if you look closely they do have one really big thing in common - fruit and vegetables. Both are dramatically increased in both diets. Because of this I have come to believe that the key to health isn't "no beef" or "no wheat" or whatever, but avoiding those foods YOUR body reacts badly to, while absolutely stuffing yourself with fruits and veggies as close to natural as possible. In other words, keep the cheese sauce off the broccoli. I really, REALLY believe that not only will our health get so much better, but I think appetite may be driven in part by missing nutrients that we don't even know about yet because really nutrition is still in it's relative infancy. When you satisfy the needs, the desire for the "bad" stuff seems to go away almost on it's own.

'Rani

In my case it helped that I found out what plantfoods I could and couldn't have. I can tolerate very few vegetables (very few).

I agree that (this would be the 'no true Scotsman' logical fallacy coming up, in a way) 'properly done' vegan and paleo emphasizes real food and both seem to advocate a healthy active relaxed world view. Pick a way of eating, and someone will have invented a 'junk food' version of it

Taking paleo principles and applying ones own logic and n=1 to it is, I think, a nice starting point. But I like animal protein so that's my obvious bias. =)

• 2 weeks later...

[/quote]

Well I am not a medical student or anything but I know a couple of things about weight loss after being lost a lot of weight durning the years. What makes you fat is the excess of calories. People write a lot of bs about weight loss but the absolute truth is:

Cals you eat - Cals you burn

If the result of that simple formula is negative you will be losing weight and if it is positive you will gain it. Period.

So basically if what you want is to lose weight you have to decrease your consumption or increase your burn. Ideally, both. What happens is that most people do not realize the amount of calories they are taking and most people will go from positive to negative in the formula just stopping drinking soda, coke etc... and just drink plain water. A liter of soda has an average of 400kcal which is more than enough to put the formula in positive.

There are other things to take into consideration and it is that the cals burnt are not the same for every person since we all have different metabolisms but on an average a normal sized person without moving his or her ass from a couch in the whole day can burn easily 1200kcal. If you are overweight you are actually burning more so Stuie for example at 350lbs can easily burn 1800 cals by doing absolutely nothing. This has an easy explanation:

1) Your body is used to have an excess of calories so, does not save them.
2) Even if you are SO lazy, you move your arms, legs and basically all your body throughout the day. It burns more calories to lift a 30lbs arm than a 15lbs one.

That said, if you want to lose weight what you must do FIRST thing is to count the calories you take per day. Count them all, drinks and food and in your case I would try to cut them to 1500-1800 per day. There are no magical diets, only the simple formula shown above.

Carbs are not bad, what is bad is an excess of them. Sugar, however, is one of the worst carbs ever but if you crave it, it is much better to eat it than drinking it because it will make you full and at least you will eat less food after that.

So, Stuie, what I encourage you is to count every calorie you take and if you are not good at counting calories just post what you eat and drink here and I can count them for you.