Weight Loss

Stuie

@Jordan: Full force; not even close. Motivation is there, but till I get my arm back I can't do a lot of what I want to do. Crossing my fingers for May.

@Mark: Thats where I am now too. I plateaued at 238-240, got down to 235 now, but it floats more around 236. I miss the good ol days when I could work half as hard and lose twice as much lol. Just gotta keep on fighting.

Started week 2 of Couch to 5k today, really enjoying it, as much as I ever enjoy running (read: not much). It's a good program so far, not too hard, not too easy, not too demanding. Already feeling like I'm seeing some changes, but maybe it's just wishful thinking. Likely just de-bloating since I've largely cut out salt... no pretzels, chips, salted nuts, etc.
Don't know what I weigh, haven't known for sure in years.

Weight is only a tool to attempt at monitor fat loss/gain. It's not a necessary tool at all. However, if you choose to use that tool, ONLY weigh yourself in the morning, post pee, fully nude, before you ingest even a drop of water. If you have a complex about it only do it once every X week(s). It's up to you.
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm mostly going by clothes fitting and whatnot. I tend to cycle through +/- two or three pounds throughout the month just in water weight. because I have no choice but to let my body repeatedly prepare itself for a pregnancy that won't happen. Last time I tried dieting it was driving me nuts.

Pardon my bad English grammar/spelling in advance.
In the first place if you're dropping down from 350 i would get a doctor involved before working out because not every part of your body might hold up against the work out. They can set you up with sound advice on a routine.

I never lost that kind of weight but i lost about 25 pounds this year (i'm only 5'8) just making little changes. Here are some things i do:
1. Keep a log. This sounds a little childish maybe but it helps you stay motivated and keep track of what does and doesn't work for you. I very simply write down what work outs i did that day. I got a calender up, i can tell with one look if i am doing what i'm supposed to do that day, week, month.
2. Bought an eliptical machine, used, fuck new, and do at least 40 mins a day as a rule. Might want to build up if that is too much atm. What helped was having a few series to watch. I'd just put on an episode, and get to peddling.
3. Core strenght excscxercsisxze..err training (no idea how to spell that word), look up good ones online or ask the doc about it. Doesn't drop body fat but it makes your body better able to carry its own weight. Also seeing your waist get smaller helps stay motivated.
4.1 Probably most importantly, food. I completely stopped drinking soft drinks except for light ( i drink this store brand cola light with less than 1 kc per glass) Also use sweetener for coffee and tea. Aspartham is not healthy but hey nothing is perfect. This must have cut about 750 kcals a day at one fell swoop because i was drinking damn near half a gallon of coke a day plus about 8/10 cubes of sugar a day in tea and coffee.
You'll get used to the taste in 2 weeks max and you won't even miss the "real" sugars in your drinks, i say that sincerely, not just to be optimistic.
4.2 Try not to eat after about 21:00. You can just drink tea/water/diet soda.
4.3 The obvious thing, limit the absolute junk as much as possible. Like chips, chocolate, fast food etc. Every now and then is fine but have a little and leave it at that. I really believe we are mostly drawn to those t hings because it is conditioned sense of indulgence and not because we enjoy them that much. They're not that good and as a trade off against your health they stack up even worse.

Hey guys, this site is a really good motivational tool. [url="http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140847501"]http://forum.bodybui...php?t=140847501[/url]
There are tons of diets out there but remember, all you need to do is have a calorie deficit. Consume slightly less calories than your bodies maintenance (guys is typically 2200 and 2000 for girls). Also, check this out for calories needed. [url="http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php."]http://caloriecount....ories-goal.php.[/url] Finally, working out is a great way to lose fat ( not necessarily weight) because even after you finishing working out, your body is repairing itself and burning off extra calories. Edited by kajon

[quote name='kajon' timestamp='1334340668' post='544834']
Hey guys, this site is a really good motivational tool. [url="http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140847501"]http://forum.bodybui...php?t=140847501[/url]
There are tons of diets out there but remember, all you need to do is have a calorie deficit. Consume slightly less calories than your bodies maintenance (guys is typically 2200 and 2000 for girls). Also, check this out for calories needed. [url="http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php."]http://caloriecount....ories-goal.php.[/url] Finally, working out is a great way to lose fat ( not necessarily weight) because even after you finishing working out, your body is repairing itself and burning off extra calories.
[/quote]
Actually, this is been proven myth (calorie in, calorie out). While it works, you're bound for a rebound effect. Eating right to heal your endocrine system is really what people need to be doing. This means, actually eating living food (greens, veggies, fruit, organic meats, and nuts).

If you happen to watch the show Fat Head, I don't think he comes out and says it but he precisely counted his calories as well as knew how much he was burning. He then calculated his weight loss. He actually lost more than the calculations. This is due to the hormone effect and him activating the correct hormones to burn fat while you aren't working out (glucagon, growth hormone, testosterone, etc).

But hey, do whatever works...there is just better information out there than what some "body builder" says is good.

I'm on the rugby team at school. One of my teammates has lost over 100 pounds between rugby, lifting, and eating healthier. I definitely recommend joining a team sport (there's leagues for everything nowadays); besides being a good work out, it's great for building morale and helping to instill a deep drive to lose the weight, good luck!

So im not going to read all 17pages of this i've browsed through it a couple times but diets are for failures and will always haunt you in the end. best thing to do is bam vegetarian also RAW foods dont cook ur vegis or as much also juicing is a great way to get ur raw vegis down if u dont want to eat them. and if u dont have a treadmill and dont wanna go to a gym find a treadmill on Craigslist for like 200$ if u can get one and just walk on it shit erica has been smoking and walking lol bad i know but its moving at least. all i know is going vegan/vegetarian has saved lives people i personally know and im not saying its saved mine im 6'3'' 235 still a bit chunky but it helps drop fast and maintain a healthier life style i have not lost or gained a pound for the last 4 years and i dont exersise well i do sometimes when im running around with the 4 year old and cleaning the house but thats about it.

Also people think its ahrd to eat out or eat anything as a vegitarian shit man, these days there is so much FAKE meat made from soy and what not to be honest its amazing give it a shot i'll start following this thread more and see how things go
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1334350733' post='544854']
There are tons of diets out there but remember, all you need to do is have a calorie deficit. Consume slightly less calories than your bodies maintenance (guys is typically 2200 and 2000 for girls). Also, check this out for calories needed. [url="http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php."]http://caloriecount....ories-goal.php.[/url] Finally, working out is a great way to lose fat ( not necessarily weight) because even after you finishing working out, your body is repairing itself and burning off extra calories.
[/quote]
Actually, this is been proven myth (calorie in, calorie out). While it works, you're bound for a rebound effect. Eating right to heal your endocrine system is really what people need to be doing. This means, actually eating living food (greens, veggies, fruit, organic meats, and nuts).

If you happen to watch the show Fat Head, I don't think he comes out and says it but he precisely counted his calories as well as knew how much he was burning. He then calculated his weight loss. He actually lost more than the calculations. This is due to the hormone effect and him activating the correct hormones to burn fat while you aren't working out (glucagon, growth hormone, testosterone, etc).

But hey, do whatever works...there is just better information out there than what some "body builder" says is good.
[/quote]

I still do not understand how that contradicts calories in/calories out. If your metabolism changes due to hormone fluctuation, why would that not just qualify as a change in calories out?

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1334560627' post='545056']
[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1334350733' post='544854']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I still do not understand how that contradicts calories in/calories out. If your metabolism changes due to hormone fluctuation, why would that not just qualify as a change in calories out?
[/quote]
Calories out = the amount of work you put in to burn those calories. When someone mentions metabolism, that right there should indicate that this whole calorie ordeal is a myth. If you hone in on improving your endocrine system, then your metabolism will shoot through the roof. Also, if you work on getting your potassium and sodium balances corrected, you can lose a lot of puffy water weight fast.

Just in the last 5 days I've been increasing my potassium and have lost 6lbs. My body type is a water retrainer, so I've been taking in foods high in sodium and low in potassium. Plus all the other junk out there like MSG that causes you to massively hold on to water. If you can restore the balance with potassium, you'll lose some good water weight fast (AND INCHES!).

Yeah turns out I have hypothyroidism and have my whole life, but not bad enough to take hormone replacement. It wasn't affecting my glucose (below normal), other organs (kidney, liver, etc), cholesterol ( higher than normal of the good cholesterol and way below normal on bad), and my blood showed a level of nicotine indicative of a non-smoker and I smoke noir! Basically, they said that with it being like it is and not affecting anything other than making it difficult to loose weight that medications would more likely mess me up. No energy level issues, 40min a day of cardio minimum ( tennis, running with dog, gym). Lost about 10lbs since the beginning of the year and lowering my intake down to 1300cal from ~1700-1800.

So I am keeping myself to 50g of carbs (fiber does not count) a day and lots of protein with only good fats (olive oil, grape seed oil, etc), as well as non-root veggies (eat up your carbs). Its supposed to increase thyroid function as insulin can prevent it from releasing all it can.

Kinda sucks because its been almost impossible to loose weight and this just explains why I would have to work that much harder at it.

Been taking Synthia-6 for breakfast and lunch with unsalted pumpkin seeds or raw almonds as a snack in individual packs and then a healthy dinner of cooked veggies and some kind of marinated meat. I have been doing it for a while and my fiance who is 6ft and 176lbs is huffing and puffing way before I do when we play tennis or go to the gym. He eats cookies by the sleeve and cheezits by the box.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
  • Upvote 1

i just gotta say if u wanna loose weight and keep it off and are super serious about how about change the way you eat become a vegetarian its not hard, MIND OVER MATTER

[quote name='Pavo21' timestamp='1334965915' post='545510']
i just gotta say if u wanna loose weight and keep it off and are super serious about how about change the way you eat become a vegetarian its not hard, MIND OVER MATTER
[/quote]

I have known a lot of fat vegetarians

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1334968512' post='545513']
[quote name='Pavo21' timestamp='1334965915' post='545510']
[/quote]

I have known a lot of fat vegetarians
[/quote]

Me to i am one of them but i used to be heavier and i've stayed teh same LAZY weight for like 3 years lol due to moving down herea nd never working out

[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1333554307' post='544031']If there are no studies tied to it, let me know and I think I still have an email from my supplement supplier about it that may have more information.
[/quote]
Nah, that's ok. I don't quite believe the studies you've briefly explained. Well...I do, but they seem to be missing half of the whole. Pardon my lack of techical terms.

In your first example, I do believe your body adapts to a certain amount of stress (in this case, physical). However, when it exceeds that level of stress...there is an "oh shit" moment, however the body should adapt again. This is why muscles get bigger/denser, people can run better/longer after repeated sessions, etc.

The second part, I'm not sure what that all means...but, it just seems unlikely that your body will shut down or drastically reduce it's metabolism if you're exercising.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1334969308' post='545515']
Yeah, but Coleman's diet consists of nothing but Hot Pockets, and he is the skinniest member on here.
[/quote]I lol'd.

actually the hot pocket diet makes sense. Portion control. A hot pocket is what 350-400 x 3 meals a day thats 1200 calories. You will lose weight eating 1200 calories. add a multivitamin and some sillyum fiber tabs and you will drop the pounds.

[quote name='Venger' timestamp='1335734710' post='546245']
actually the hot pocket diet makes sense. Portion control. A hot pocket is what 350-400 x 3 meals a day thats 1200 calories. You will lose weight eating 1200 calories. add a multivitamin and some sillyum fiber tabs and you will drop the pounds.
[/quote]

Please do not listen to this advice.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Venger' timestamp='1335734710' post='546245']
[/quote]
And destroy your liver and endocrine system while you are at it. Increasing your systemic inflammation. Putting chemicals in your body that have negative affects. Slow your digestion down so when you come off this you get fat 2-5x as fast (because of the noted endocrine damage you've done and the restriction on calories). If there is meat in it, yummy nitrates and nitrites to kill your heart.

I mean really, you have to be a complete idiot to do such a "diet". You are setting yourself up for detrimental health affects right away as well as down the road.

We were created to eat the food God/Nature created. Not what man made in a factory.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1335805504' post='546270']
Not if you choose the new Organic Hot Pocket!
[/quote]
lol If you say so. It's all still very processed and the leniency on the term "organic" has been adulterated and really doesn't matter anymore. My points still apply even to the "organic" hot pockets, if there even is any (if there is, what a joke).