Anyone Carry A Pistol?

mushrat

I recently turned 21 and I'm currently in the process of gathering all my information up so that I can send away for mine. From what I hear its a more secure feeling to have it on you or in your vehicle. Personally, looking at going with the walther series

QUOTE (mushrat @ Jun 17 2008, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah that's a sweet gun, but 6 rounds just doesn't seem like enough to me. Prolly why I carry a Springfield XD 9mm with 2 extra clips on me lol... Edited by Victim026

QUOTE (Victim026 @ Jun 18 2008, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah that's a sweet gun, but 6 rounds just doesn't seem like enough to me. Prolly why I carry a Springfield XD 9mm with 2 extra clips on me lol...

yepp i carry 2 extra mags when carrying my glock 22 and 3 extra when i carry my 17

QUOTE (ghostofdavid @ Jun 18 2008, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mags. wink.gif

Lol give me a break, I have the flu and have had a fever for the last 4 days.... Not to mention the lack of being able to smoke hookah making me go into withdrawls... Edited by Victim026

No CCW... Illinois is a PITA.

Buford... how do you like your Kimber? I'm really looking for a 1911 as my next pistol (was looking at the SIG P229 etc before, but I am really liking the 1911s)... And between Dan Wesson, Springfield, and Kimber, it's getting to be a difficult choice.

QUOTE (NickReppinThe909 @ Jun 18 2008, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah that's a sweet gun, but 6 rounds just doesn't seem like enough to me. Prolly why I carry a Springfield XD 9mm with 2 extra clips on me lol...

yepp i carry 2 extra mags when carrying my glock 22 and 3 extra when i carry my 17

Wow! Dude what are you expecting to encounter? I think I had heard you are in law enforcement so that would make sense since you might have to enter into a shootout situation in which no amount of mags is too many. But I think for the rest of us who have the option of retreating from a shootout situation 6 is probably enough. That being said I used to carry around an extra 10 round mag. I only carried it becuase I had it. Well I lost it and make do with 10+1 now. It sucks losing a Glock mag. What's worse is that I'm worried someone will use my bullets with my prints on them for a crime.

If I have to go downtown, I'll sometimes carry two pistols if I know I wont be drinking.

One regular and a back up. I'm not law enforcement, just a realistic.

Also, I'm fat so I can hide them easier.

QUOTE (derogatory @ Jun 18 2008, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! Dude what are you expecting to encounter? I think I had heard you are in law enforcement so that would make sense since you might have to enter into a shootout situation in which no amount of mags is too many. But I think for the rest of us who have the option of retreating from a shootout situation 6 is probably enough. That being said I used to carry around an extra 10 round mag. I only carried it becuase I had it. Well I lost it and make do with 10+1 now. It sucks losing a Glock mag. What's worse is that I'm worried someone will use my bullets with my prints on them for a crime.

QUOTE (Victim026 @ Jun 18 2008, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

5 rounds actually..i may have highlighted the wrong pistol. I carr a speedloader with 5 more...if 10 round isn't enough im in bigger trouble than i can deal with anyways...

the key is not to waste any. :-)

QUOTE (derogatory @ Jun 18 2008, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I carry a 16 round mag in the gun w/ 2 more 16 round mags, and if by chance war breaks out in the city streets or everyone turns into blood craving zombies I figure I'd rather be over prepared then under prepared.

QUOTE (derogatory @ Jun 18 2008, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yea thats one of the reasons considering im "always on call" and the other is that i run into people on an almost daily basis that i have arrested directly or indirectly and usually they are street gangsters that think they run the world becuase they have watched scarface

QUOTE (Big Boss @ Jun 12 2008, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It'd be interesting to find the right gun for me. I'm a foot taller than you, Mush, and I'll bet that I probably weigh about 150 pounds more than you if not more... and to top that off, my hands are huge. As I live in rural Nebraksa, I can't mosey on down to the local gun shop and browse for a gun that would fit my hands best. I have to look on line and I have to assume that a gun would fit my hands. One of the many disadvantages of living in Nebraska.

CC guns are not supposed to be comfortable range shooting guns. You are more looking for what conceals better than what fits your hand size best. Fullsize 1911 may be a great grip size for you, but you may not be able to tuck it worth a damn. Same with other full size guns. One gun that I have truly enjoyed is the Smith and Wesson M&P.

QUOTE (oolatec @ Jun 18 2008, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No CCW... Illinois is a PITA.

Buford... how do you like your Kimber? I'm really looking for a 1911 as my next pistol (was looking at the SIG P229 etc before, but I am really liking the 1911s)... And between Dan Wesson, Springfield, and Kimber, it's getting to be a difficult choice.

What are you looking for in a 1911? 5inch barrel? 4inch? 3inch? Since you are not looking to carry I gather you want a fullsize 5inch. The kimber Custom II is a pretty good gun for the price. Honestly though, I would much rather own a Springer or Dan Wesson. The DW bobtail is what I am looking at for my next carry gun. But for fullsize, I would definitely put Springfield at the top of the list. Their customer support and gun quality is outstanding. I can't say the same for Kimber. If you can find a Series 1 kimber then you would be golden, obviously that would require buying a used gun though.

Stay safe.

QUOTE (Scheetz @ Jun 19 2008, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CC guns are not supposed to be comfortable range shooting guns. You are more looking for what conceals better than what fits your hand size best. Fullsize 1911 may be a great grip size for you, but you may not be able to tuck it worth a damn. Same with other full size guns. One gun that I have truly enjoyed is the Smith and Wesson M&P.

Its not about being comfortable. My hands are so big that I seriously doubt that I'd be able to effectively shoot a compact or subcompact pistol.

QUOTE (Big Boss @ Jun 19 2008, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its not about being comfortable. My hands are so big that I seriously doubt that I'd be able to effectively shoot a compact or subcompact pistol.

Take a look around for the same thing I'm cc'ing just like this HERE, I can easily conceal this on myself in most situations and you shouldn't have any issues, of course you could also look for the 4 inch barrel just to bring the size down a tad bit, I prefer the 5" personally though.

big boss i think there are a few gun shops in lincoln
i am sure there is at least one in hastings and grand island that carry pistols Edited by wpw36

What are you looking for in a 1911? 5inch barrel? 4inch? 3inch? Since you are not looking to carry I gather you want a fullsize 5inch. The kimber Custom II is a pretty good gun for the price. Honestly though, I would much rather own a Springer or Dan Wesson. The DW bobtail is what I am looking at for my next carry gun. But for fullsize, I would definitely put Springfield at the top of the list. Their customer support and gun quality is outstanding. I can't say the same for Kimber. If you can find a Series 1 kimber then you would be golden, obviously that would require buying a used gun though.

Stay safe.

Echoed many of my thoughts... either 4-5" with rail... have to get them in my hands and go from there. I love the Kimber Warrior, but like you have suggested, their Series II run has had some issues I am well aware of... FTF... FTE etc... (thanks to 1911forum.com). And their warranty is lackluster. DW's seem to be really, really tight... as in construction (not necessarily a bad thing)... seems the break-in period is hit or miss because of this. But the Commander Classic BT is totally sexy... biggrin.gif

And Springfield... well, not only are they in Illinois where I am from... their warranty is unmatched. The TRP... wow... that's all I have to say.

Thanks for the input!

QUOTE (wpw36 @ Jun 19 2008, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
big boss i think there are a few gun shops in lincoln
i am sure there is at least one in hastings and grand island that carry pistols

I know of Guns Unlimited in Omaha, but I haven't been there in over a decade. Yesterday I went to Norfolk and checked out a sporting goods store but some meathead was oogling over the pistols for a good half hour, and the clerk had a popped collar... not a good sign... so I continued on with my trip.

QUOTE (oolatec @ Jun 19 2008, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stay safe.

Echoed many of my thoughts... either 4-5" with rail... have to get them in my hands and go from there. I love the Kimber Warrior, but like you have suggested, their Series II run has had some issues I am well aware of... FTF... FTE etc... (thanks to 1911forum.com). And their warranty is lackluster. DW's seem to be really, really tight... as in construction (not necessarily a bad thing)... seems the break-in period is hit or miss because of this. But the Commander Classic BT is totally sexy... biggrin.gif

And Springfield... well, not only are they in Illinois where I am from... their warranty is unmatched. The TRP... wow... that's all I have to say.

Thanks for the input!

you cant beat good old springfield armory for quality and warranty i had some FTF issues with my 1911 and sent it to them and they replaced the firing assembly FOR FREE !!!!!

QUOTE (NickReppinThe909 @ Jun 20 2008, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stay safe.

Thanks for the input!

you cant beat good old springfield armory for quality and warranty i had some FTF issues with my 1911 and sent it to them and they replaced the firing assembly FOR FREE !!!!!

Nice... more props for Springfield... which 1911 do you have? I'm trying to justify the railed TRP expense... and it's not going so well. lol

QUOTE (oolatec @ Jun 20 2008, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (NickReppinThe909 @ Jun 20 2008, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stay safe.

Thanks for the input!

Nice... more props for Springfield... which 1911 do you have? I'm trying to justify the railed TRP expense... and it's not going so well. lol

the loader its not the top of the line but its a beast

Loaded Operator gets the vote. That right there is an amazing gun. You wont have a problem picking one up either. The DW is another story, alot of the places I have seen are sold out and DW is in the process of making another batch.