Anyone Carry A Pistol?

mushrat

You might want to reconsider your "feeling" safe issue. Feelings are liars. People feel safe all the time but that does not make it so. If you can carry a gun and are able to, you should. Remember, feelings are liars! I've said this a thousand times in defense of a lot more than just firearms. Just because you feel a certain way does not make it so. Ever fark the wrong girl when you were drunk? Do something stupid when you were younger? Regret getting that Nike swoosh tattoo? Feelings are liars, my friend. Logic prevails.

I carry a pistol to protect my wife, friends, and myself. Being quasi-crippled, it is a nice leveler for the playing field against two people that may be interested in raping my wife, for the thief who wants to rob me a gun/knife point or the crackhead who thinks my Zune will fetch him the money for his next fix.

I carry pistols. If I go down to Over the Rhine when I am not working, I sometimes carry two.

My main carry is a Smith & Wesson 640-2. It is a five-shot .357mag revolver.

My main winter carry is a 4" Springfield Armory XD .45ACP.

I have a few other toys as well.

I'd carry a rifle, but I don't think I could get away with it. I'm not that fat.

Don't try to chip away my right to carry a firearm because you think its dangerous or you disagree with it, just don't carry one yourself.

As an addendum, you all you should check out the firearms books I am in. *Shameless Plug*

http://www.armedamerica.org/

Even if you aren't into firearms, but are into photography, you should really check it out (*cough* chinamon! *cough*).

Kyle Cassidy is the collaborator of the ordeal and did an excellent aesthetic feel to the entire book. This isn't a book of Bubba an his hunting rifle on every page.

Reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-...customerReviews

Mention of the book from Liberal political blogger Stephen Dubner(featuring my photo):

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2007...uns-in-america/

QUOTE (Scheetz @ Oct 23 2007, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hell, I am right in your location. If you want when you go I'll come with you and give my opinion. Most gun store sales clerks have no people skills and just push whatever gun they like the most. Or the one the gun store tells them to push.

thanks for the offer man. i really need to go to a range and shoot some first, just to get a feeling for it. havn't held a firearm in a long time...

also i am undecided between H&K usp or Glock 33.

I'm so glad they dont give out gun licences easily in the U.K

If that was the case I'd probably be doing a stretch for murder biggrin.gif
Seriously tho,I would be worried carrying a gun around, not about using it myself, but thinking
what would happen if some loony took it off me.

QUOTE (camelflage @ Oct 24 2007, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
also i am undecided between H&K usp or Glock 33.

wink.gif For me that was easy.

However, if you are looking for an H&K compared to a G33. I would recommend looking at the H&K P2000 or the P2000sk. They are smaller than the USPc come in LEM (double action only) or DA/SA with a decocker. Like the Glocks the P2000 models do not come with a thumb safety. The SK is the smaller version and is just about the same size as the G33. If you are looking for a .45 cal though the P2k models only come in 9mm and 40S&W. I recommend those over a .357 as that is just too large of a caliber for carry. That is in my opinion. A 9mm will do exactly the same thing as a .357 will these days. So why put your arms and wallet through the pain of shooting a small handgun with a large caliber. The general rule of thumb is carry the largest caliber you are consistently accurate with. But to me, anything over .45 is to big. So if you wanted a .357 I would buy the 40S&W.

QUOTE (Jonesy @ Oct 24 2007, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats something we all have to watch out for. But thats why we buy quality holsters and belts to keep the gun properly hidden. Your holster is designed to hold the gun no matter what activity you are doing. If you still feel uncomfortable about someone taking it you can buy a holster with a thumb break. The break requires you to unsnap the strap before the gun can be drawn. They also have level 3 holsters which some LEOs use. They have two types of locking mechanisms on them before you can draw. While adding these on sounds like it slows down your drawn it really doesn't. Practicing what you must do to draw and properly learning the fundamentals makes life quite easy. You can also carry a small J-frame revolver or pocket semi that you holster in your front pockets. Nobody will ever know its there and you hopefully will never have someone reach down your front pocket (however there are circumstances wink.gif )

The second way we keep people from disarming us is staying out of a physical confrontation. When you carry a gun you need to man up when someone becomes aggressive towards you. Be it a drunk man or someone who just hates you. You need to learn to walk away from the situation. A wrestling match can result in someone else finding your firearm and using it against you.

The third way is keeping your head on a swivel and seeing who is out there. Becoming passive about your surroundings will leave you the one who gets mugged. Those wolves do not want someone who is on their guard and aware of them. They want the person on their cell phone in their own little world oblivious to all around them.

QUOTE (Jonesy @ Oct 24 2007, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm so glad they dont give out gun licences easily in the U.K

If that was the case I'd probably be doing a stretch for murder biggrin.gif
Seriously tho,I would be worried carrying a gun around, not about using it myself, but thinking

the trick is to not let the looney get that close

haha, awesome. as for the G33 being a .357, i havn't fired the gamut of handgun ammo so i dont have a specific caliber picked out yet. im right next to the NRA HQ range, so i think i will step down there sometime soon and get more info on the basic and CC classes.

QUOTE (shisha fan @ Oct 24 2007, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is it allowed to do target practice on your own property (if you have the space)? i used to shoot at cans with an air rifle when i was little.

Depends on your county code. There is no real way to answer that without looking at where the person lives. For instance, my relatives county has a law that you can shoot if the nearest house is over 175 yards from where you are shooting.

QUOTE (Krautle87 @ Oct 20 2007, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fuck pistols.

tongue.gif

heh, hard to keep one of those on my hip. cool.gif

The area isn't particularly dangerous, though there are gang tags all over the back of my building. I just run a bar and protection is necessary...

I have a Taurus Ultralight 38 for personal regular use. I also have a berretta 92G.

I don't know why, but someone with a concealed pistol bothers me a lot more than people with Uzi's and M16, I guess you're just used to what you grew up with. You guys are used to pistols, canadians aren't used to anything, and Israelis are used to machine guns. tongue.gif

I like an old combat-master in 451 detonics. In the winter I like my LAR (big coat, and the damn critters keep tearing the crap out of my house) The thought of going to guns with a 40 short&whimpy vs. black bear is a touching display of courage... and a good way to get chewed on. The wonder-nine would need a bayonet and a cyanide capsule for that mission! Big worry here isn't the criminals, it's the wildlife... and I have seen a small black bear absorb 8 rds of 45 win mag then stumble off. !

So, who will admit to A-Ding and blowing the crap out of something in their house? mellow.gif

QUOTE (TheScotsman @ Oct 24 2007, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, who will admit to A-Ding and blowing the crap out of something in their house? mellow.gif

I have never had an accidental discharge nor a negligent discharge. I plan to keep it this way as best I can. I have made it a habbit to double check my mag is dropped and double check the chamber is clear.

QUOTE (Scheetz @ Oct 24 2007, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have never had an accidental discharge nor a negligent discharge. I plan to keep it this way as best I can. I have made it a habbit to double check my mag is dropped and double check the chamber is clear.

Mine was at the range, a K2 slam-fired on charging, ohmy.gif a whole mag into the dirt starting about 20 meters downrange, ending about 100 yds out. Nothing like being attached to the end of an uncontrolable chain-firing rifle to make your life... er... "interesting" for about 3 seconds. 30 rds doesn't sound like much, but it seemed like an eternity at the time. It didn't like the soft primers on commercial ammo.

Even with the upmost care, failures will happen. muzzle awareness is the best safety of all. There are 3 kinds of shooters, those that have A-D'd, those that haven't, and those that will do it again.

QUOTE (TheScotsman @ Oct 25 2007, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even with the upmost care, failures will happen. muzzle awareness is the best safety of all. There are 3 kinds of shooters, those that have A-D'd, those that haven't, and those that will do it again.

I agree with that statement. I never point my muzzle towards anything unless I plan to put a hole through it. The only time I pull the trigger with no live ammo is during dry fire practice with snap caps. When I do this though I remove myself from the room with live ammo.

I know of a guy who had a fellow shooter send a NG towards his foot at one outing. Thought maybe it was just luck it didn't hit him and the guy would learn from it. The next outing they had he turned around to see the barrel of a rifle swing past his head as the guy racked it. He doesn't go shooting with that guy anymore.

But then again, I think everytime I have gone to a range I have had a firearm pointed at me. Loaded or unloaded it doesnt matter, they are still pointing a muzzle towards another person. I have also left a range when a guy with an AR failed to keep his muzzle ever pointed in the right direction. I told the range officer that a moron with an AR needed to be booted from the range and why. They never checked on him, so I told the manager due to their failure of keeping a safe watch on the range I will no longer come back.

I would never feel safe in the states.
Not with all these people carrying guns ,has to be a bad idea.

I guess thats why you have situations like columbine etc, Im not talking about you fellows
that are responsible firearms holders, just the guys who might have a bad day and take it out on society.

QUOTE (Jonesy @ Oct 25 2007, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess thats why you have situations like columbine etc, Im not talking about you fellows
that are responsible firearms holders, just the guys who might have a bad day and take it out on society.

This is the reality of it.

There have been times in my own life when i've been in situations where, if i had a firearm on me (or close to me), things might have taken a rather more dramatic and final turn.

Having said that, try walking around in South London anyways. It's more like the bronx was in the late 80's [or how the bronx was conveyed to us english folks]

JD

QUOTE (Jonesy @ Oct 25 2007, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

School shootings have nothing to do with people who carry firearms. I have had BBQ parties at parks with 20 other people open carrying a gun. The streets didnt run red with blood. The streets never do. Gun violence comes from all the gang bangers who buy them off the black market. The Brady Campaign says suicides would be down if guns were not around. They claim that over 50% of suicides are with guns. So if we remove the gun, they will not try to off themselves. I look at them like they are little single minded children. If you want to kill yourself, you will. If they dont have a gun they will use a knife, drugs, hangings or something else.

Just so you know, there is an age limit to buy a firearm. The guys at columbine were underage and bought them through other means. These shootings are still going to occur even if you take guns away. Nobody can guarantee that ALL guns will be removed and they will check daily to ensure that.

People think the US is unsafe because we have guns. England and Australia dont have them, but they sure do have the same violent crime numbers as before. You take away guns from people who are responsible so only the "bad people" have them. The ones who dont want to hunt down guns move to a different weapon, like knives. I have read a bunch of articles stating London had a large increase in knife violence onces guns were removed. One article even stated children were wearing small kevlar vests to school!

JD, are you able to support that claim by your newspapers? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Cheese// @ Oct 25 2007, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I want to stay in South Africa.
The crime is bad here,
but no one I know carries a gun.
Except in their car.
That's understandable.

Your statement contradicts it self. Its OK to have a gun in a car but not outside of it? There is no difference there, you are saying its ok to have the gun while driving to dinner but when you want to eat you cant have it. Not to bash here, but you are living in a country where people buy large dogs so they can walk outside and give tour bus rides through the ghetto.

damn.. this should be in the serious discussion section.. even though it probably wasnt intended for it. anyways..

i don't carry a gun, although in AZ its not hard to get one.

all i know is, guns dont kill people. people kill people

QUOTE (Jonesy @ Oct 25 2007, 05:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rather than make firearms illegal, let's just make murder illegal.

QUOTE (Jonesy @ Oct 25 2007, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, let me just say to get my permit i had to go through a training session on when and where I could carry it and use it, and a background check more extensive than the check I'm sure has been done on most teachers, doctors, baby sitters, and about anyone else you trust yourself or your family with. Don't be afraid of the poeple legally carrying guns, worry about your kids gym teacher, baby sitter, and the like, (no offense ment to teachers out there, both my parents teach) they are a far greater unknown than me with a pistol on my belt.