Anyone Carry A Pistol?

mushrat

Or a Yugoslav M59/66A SKS in its original configuration - that being with a grenade launcher. Because a grenade launcher is a super-dangerous hunk of milled steel welded to the end of a barrel that could really do some damage if, you know, you could actually get grenades and launching charges somewhere.

Because CA knows best, you can't sell them in CA without sawing off that super-deadly steel cylinder that goes out and kills people at night. I have an unmodified one in my closet here in VA.

• 6 months later...
I've been looking at a Glock 21, 29, 38, 39, a Walther P99 or a generic 1911 clone. What kind of things do they look for on a background check?

QUOTE (Big Boss @ Jun 11 2008, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been looking at a Glock 21, 29, 38, 39, a Walther P99 or a generic 1911 clone. What kind of things do they look for on a background check?

Likely depends on the state, although I believe the basics are the same for most places. For instance, you can see what Colorado asks for here . This is the same form you fill out when you purchase a handgun so they can use the instant background check system. The major difference is that when applying for the CCW permit, your information and fingerprints are also sent along to the FBI.

For me, the process took 20 days from applying to getting the permit, since I already had taken a safety class. The only caveat was that the FBI was/is badly backlogged, so rather than make folks wait 90 days or more permits are issued with the understanding that if the FBI check comes back and you are denied, you have to turn in the permit.

QUOTE (Big Boss @ Jun 11 2008, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

depends on the state..felonies, recent arrests for public disturbances, that sort of thing.

its always funny when people realize im carrying.

"is that a ...gun?"
"why yes, yes it is..."

in NC you can get a regualr pistol permit to buy, that doesn't require a class and you can get a conceal and carry permit, that requires the class. Once you have the CC permit you no longer have to worry about a regular permit to buy, just show them your CC and you are good.

I'm gonna get a pistol soon...not sure what

then, if I can, the licenses for carrying

1. got an expunged record(I know it'll show up, even though it was a one time thing and only mark to my slate)
2. checked myself into a mental hospital for two weeks, two years ago...I know if you're 302ed, you're screwed on anything gun related, but I am not sured what happens if you drove yourself there on your own will...

looking at maybe a 44magnum

only thing about CC's that gets me is the amount of registration and stuff you go through. I personally am a slight conspiracy theorist, and I'm just saying if the govt ever comes crashing down into one of those One World Government types of scenarios, that's a lot of information they'd have on me.

I know....I'm crazy. Point and laugh.

I carry a Glock 30 with the drop in aluminum trigger and a few other aftermarket parts. I love my pistol and wouldn't trade it for the world but considering I conceal carry everywhere outside of my home unconditionally I wish I would have got the glock 26 because it's smaller and 9mm ammo is cheaper.

As for why I carry, I feel it is irresponsible of me not to. I am responsible for keeping my body safe at all costs and not the police. If something or someone were to kill me no cop would be punished for not protecting me. My friends, my family, and myself would be the only ones to suffer.

I highly doubt I'll ever use it for anything besides putting holes in paper, which I really enjoy, but I mean I could encounter a wild animal with a vicious demeanor or a domestic animal with the same demeanor and I'm not going to risk my life and safety for anyone or anything. I've only got one life, no continues, and I'm fresh out of quarters, so I'd better play it safe.

Also to address someone's comment (which I lost track of) I grew up in a gun free home with no shooting enthusiasts in my family and I wasn't allowed to play with guns. I got to thinking about it one day and did a bunch of research and just couldn't justify not buying a gun.

And my advice to any potential CCers is get a small pistol, my Glock 30 is small and I still think it's too big. Also, at first it feels weird having it on you but I have also carried a pocket knife around since I was a teenager and it gets to be a thing where you feel naked without it. After a while you don't even notice it's there until you bump it against a car door getting in and out or something. I was always paranoid when I first started carrying that it was noticeable but no one has ever said anything and my other buddy who CCs sometimes taps me on my pelvis trying to guess where my gun is and he never gets it right, lol. So that helped alleviate my self-consciousness. It takes a little time to get used to but well worth it.

Also Susanna Hupp's story was the last straw for me, after hearing her story I decided I couldn't put of CCing any longer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhyuJzjOcQE...feature=related Edited by derogatory

I grew up in a gun home...shot my first gun at 3yrs old ( it was the ak 47 or mossenburg 12 gauge..bunch in one day)...learned gun safety thereon out and was always responsible...never went looking for them or touched them unless I was told to (until I was like 14 or so lol)...I own a 300 short mag. right now and as I stated above, a pistol within the next yr

I think people should edjamakate there kids early so these "accidents" don't happen...even if they don't have a gun in their own home...thats why there was never probs with me

The reason I ask is because when I was like 12 or so I was admitted to a mental hospital (discharged two days later) and that I have been diagnosed with clinical depression and anxiety/panic attacks. I'd hate to go through all the trouble just to be rejected because of something that happened when I was 12.

QUOTE (derogatory @ Jun 11 2008, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I carry a Glock 30 with the drop in aluminum trigger and a few other aftermarket parts. I love my pistol and wouldn't trade it for the world but considering I conceal carry everywhere outside of my home unconditionally I wish I would have got the glock 26 because it's smaller and 9mm ammo is cheaper.

As for why I carry, I feel it is irresponsible of me not to. I am responsible for keeping my body safe at all costs and not the police. If something or someone were to kill me no cop would be punished for not protecting me. My friends, my family, and myself would be the only ones to suffer.

I highly doubt I'll ever use it for anything besides putting holes in paper, which I really enjoy, but I mean I could encounter a wild animal with a vicious demeanor or a domestic animal with the same demeanor and I'm not going to risk my life and safety for anyone or anything. I've only got one life, no continues, and I'm fresh out of quarters, so I'd better play it safe.

Also to address someone's comment (which I lost track of) I grew up in a gun free home with no shooting enthusiasts in my family and I wasn't allowed to play with guns. I got to thinking about it one day and did a bunch of research and just couldn't justify not buying a gun.

And my advice to any potential CCers is get a small pistol, my Glock 30 is small and I still think it's too big. Also, at first it feels weird having it on you but I have also carried a pocket knife around since I was a teenager and it gets to be a thing where you feel naked without it. After a while you don't even notice it's there until you bump it against a car door getting in and out or something. I was always paranoid when I first started carrying that it was noticeable but no one has ever said anything and my other buddy who CCs sometimes taps me on my pelvis trying to guess where my gun is and he never gets it right, lol. So that helped alleviate my self-consciousness. It takes a little time to get used to but well worth it.

Also Susanna Hupp's story was the last straw for me, after hearing her story I decided I couldn't put of CCing any longer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhyuJzjOcQE...feature=related

couldnt have said it better myself its a kill or be killed world sometimes and i'd rather kill than die

QUOTE (Big Boss @ Jun 11 2008, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The reason I ask is because when I was like 12 or so I was admitted to a mental hospital (discharged two days later) and that I have been diagnosed with clinical depression and anxiety/panic attacks. I'd hate to go through all the trouble just to be rejected because of something that happened when I was 12.

Underage hospitalizations shouldn't matter, and just on the off chance that they did, hospitalizations only count against you if you were dragged there kicking and screaming. If you sign yourself in that's fine. Forced hospitalizations show that you are not in control. Almost everyone suffers from some sort of mental maladie at some point in their life, but whether you are a danger to yourself or others is what really counts.

Anyways, I think you should be fine in most states. It'd be wrong for any jurisdiction to prohibit a person's firearm rights just because of mental illnesses like depression and anxiety. Not to mention that we as a species hardly knows anything about how the brain works or what exactly any mental illnesses are. Psychology is still very young and theoretical and the range of symptoms for diagnoses could probably encompass every last person alive if you looked hard enough at the DSM4.

Also I don't believe your hospital records when you were 12 are available to law enforcement agencies. I know I've never missed a background check and I was hospitalized when I was younger too. People didn't know crap back then, they threw every kid in the psych ward for any sort of behavior. We still don't know much more now.

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

well, how about your background...
I only got in trouble with the law once...it was something dumb and childish...and I did probation to get it expunged from my record...success...will that make life anymore difficult for me on this issue at hand?

QUOTE (r1v3th3ad @ Jun 12 2008, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well, how about your background...
I only got in trouble with the law once...it was something dumb and childish...and I did probation to get it expunged from my record...success...will that make life anymore difficult for me on this issue at hand?

you are probably cool..as is big boss. I would go to your local sherrif's office (atleast thats where the permit stuff is here in nc) and get a copy of the form. Here it lists exactly the things which will disqualify you. If you can get through the checklist ok then you shouldn't have any problems.

a small gun for CC is best, unless you are a BIG person, which at all of 5' 4" im not :-)

As I said before, i carry a small, Taurus Ultralite 38. fits easy into a holster, not to noticible even under a t-shirt, and its loaded with +p hollowpoints so it'll get the job done.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-...tegory=Revolver

QUOTE (mushrat @ Jun 12 2008, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a small gun for CC is best, unless you are a BIG person, which at all of 5' 4" im not :-)

It'd be interesting to find the right gun for me. I'm a foot taller than you, Mush, and I'll bet that I probably weigh about 150 pounds more than you if not more... and to top that off, my hands are huge. As I live in rural Nebraksa, I can't mosey on down to the local gun shop and browse for a gun that would fit my hands best. I have to look on line and I have to assume that a gun would fit my hands. One of the many disadvantages of living in Nebraska.

QUOTE (mushrat @ Oct 20 2007, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just got my C&C permit this week. It's a very strange feeling being able to walk down the street wearing a gun...

Anyone else carry?

When I am in Florida I carry at all times and when I am in a state that has carry trade with fla I carry as well you never know when you will need to protect your life. Guns are a needed item in human day to day lif. A thief thinks before he attacks in a concealed weapons state.

Later all

Bubba

PS: Make sure if you carry to carry a good weapon do not get some off brand cheapy gun.

QUOTE (mushrat @ Jun 11 2008, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
damn he's alive! Hows married life treating you? Keeping the pipes clean?

We are doing well. The wife is head hunting for grad schools in library science and I am still slaving away at Faceless Corporation making less than a living wage! The pipes are very well!

Back to the topic at hand...

I highly recommend the Springfield XD in the largest caliber you feel comfortable carrying. Do not think that carrying revolvers is a bad idea. They function on the 'keep it simple stupid' level that we all need.