Overweightness/obseity

I have seen, over the course of a couple of years, people explain to either a group of people, or it being portrayed in the media (no I cant give specific instances) that being overweight is okay, and that they're is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Now please, Im not bashing fat people, but yes you should want to work toward a more healthy weight limit.

Now Im only on this is because the government seems to want to ban smoking because of the health risk associated with it. However I have yet to see anyone (except NY) try to ban fatty foods.

Your thoughts/take on this would be appreciated

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah... it's true. I live in the cheese and beer state, and it can be pretty scary sometimes. I don't have a problem with the ones who don't know they're fat (it sneaks up on you, trust me), it's the ones that know they're fat and do nothing about it, and hang in the drive-thru at McDonald's every day.

If the person is a larger size and does tons of things to try and get rid of it to no avail (there was a larger lady on this one talk show that could run 8 miles without stopping once!!! I doubt I could make it a block, and I'm average!), then they automatically earn my respect and adoration, because that's not their fault and they're doing the best they can with what they've got smile.gif

hey i see you live in WI too, yes we got one of thee worst states for that crap, creme puffs, beef and cheese...... i don't feel to bad for the people who say " Oh i might try to get it off...." cause thats bs, if they are reallllllly trying then they fuly gain my respect also!

This is an issue that for some reason has always bothered me. I'm a college student and at the Grill they had a sub section and a grill section. It was amazing to see obese college students lining up for double cheeseburgers with fries and all the people who appeared to be healthy weight were ordering subs and yogurt. It wasn't a direct relationship but you hardly ever saw an obese person ordering a sub.

I mean is the taste of a double cheeseburger so compelling that you feel the need to put yourself at risk for serious health problems later in life. I don't exercise as much as I should, I only run a few days a week, but eating right and a bit of exercise can go a long way. It is just mind boggling to me how people can be so indifferent towards their weight.

Appearances can be deceiving, if you take the skinny people that most think are healthy and get them a physical, most of them could not pass it, just like someone overweight could not. But I agree being obese, they say will surpass smoking as the most leading cause of preventable of death int he US. I like on the movie super size Me, they were talking and said that if you went to a smoker and asked him to stop smoking because it could kill him that was acceptable, but if you wen to a complete obese person and said stop eating junk food, because it could kill them, that person would get so pissed off.

The smoking bans have nothing to do with health. If the government gave 2 shits then they would make tobacco illegal. But it makes them way too much money. For a £5.50 20 pack of cigarettes in the UK, about £4 goes to the government. They make more than 4 times what the manufactures make and 9 or 10 times what the sellers make.

The ban is to safeguard the government from future law suits from employees contracting illnesses from passive smoking.

Even if you want to accept the ban as a thing for health, it has nothing to do with personal health. It is to do with the fact that you may not smoke in public buildings around others who you can harm with potential passive smoke. How does eating too much effect other peoples health?

I would also like to ask you what a healthy weight limit is. Is this a number you make up or I make up? Should I look like you or should you look like me? Who is the person that defines what a "healthy weight limit" is? The BMI is the usual bullshit that society tries to conform to. However it only looks at height and weight. Did you know that George Clooney was overweight according to the BMI chart? Did you know that the BMI chart is a load of bullshit?

I would also like to ask why you feel weight has anything to so with a healthy life style. There are many overweight and even obese people who are very very fit and can do things that "average" people cannot due to their level of fitness. Does this mean that they are not at a healthy lifestyle?

Personally, I am very liberal in my views on things. People should be able to do what they want and how they want, as long as it does not directly effect someone else. If someone wants to be fat, cool with me. If someone wants to shoot heroin, cool with me. As long as both habits are funded with legitimate funds, who the fuck am I to tell you what you can and cannot do just because I don't do it.

Anyway, I have been up for about 48 hours now and the caffeine crash is about to hit me. I will probably end up re reading this tomorrow and finding out what a load of crap it all is but it sounds good in my head and that's all that matters right now smile.gif

Nighty night

Ow damn forgot to say. In the UK, we are going to have a pension plan crisis in 20 or so years as the government has overspent and currently has no plans on recovering the money. So if more people are obese, then that solves that issue as they will all die before they get to their pension ages.

Sounds cold and callas, but hey, welcome to the western world.

Ow and I think i made an error above. George Clooney is overweight not obese.

QUOTE (Allia22 @ Jul 6 2007, 06:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the person is a larger size and does tons of things to try and get rid of it to no avail (there was a larger lady on this one talk show that could run 8 miles without stopping once!!! I doubt I could make it a block, and I'm average!), then they automatically earn my respect and adoration, because that's not their fault and they're doing the best they can with what they've got smile.gif

That Definetly also earns my respect!

BUT:

Sorry I have to say that I think it is unacceptable to be obese(unless of course you can't help it) DO SOMETHING about it......
You don't have to be as light as a feather but NOT OBESE......
A little healthier eating,little less fat/junk food and a little exercise can help a lot!!!! And then you can build up from there!!!!
I mean come on you are putting your life at risk!!!!!!!!!!!!

-H&S

Yes, people should certainly try to be healthier. People do need to eat less and exercise more. However, there are certain factors that should be taken into consideration. Genetics plays a big part of it: I work out 4-5 times a week and eat well (pretty much no fast food), but I am still a bigger guy (6' 190, BMI ~21) and while I could lose a few pounds I am very healthy. Another important factor to consider is socio-economic status. Unfortunately, it is much cheaper to eat pre-prepared, processed foods, and many people do not have the income, opportunity, and/or time to go shopping for healthy foods and make them correctly. Certainly some of it is laziness (it is much easier to toss something in the microwave than cook dinner) but some of it is necessity.

QUOTE (jaker29902 @ Jul 6 2007, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now Im only on this is because the government seems to want to ban smoking because of the health risk associated with it. However I have yet to see anyone (except NY) try to ban fatty foods.

Everything has to start somewhere. Europe's been doing it for quite some time now, and began doing it before we did. After seeing the results, New York hopped onboard, and the rest of the US is likely to follow very soon. These things take time, it won't happen tomorrow.

What I want to know is why you really brought this issue up.

on the other hand there are different levels of obese, and also being too skinny. im not what we would call a small dude but im not unhealthy either. during wrestling season i drop anywhere from 10-15lbs in as little as 2 weeks (dropped 25lbs off my body over the entire season) but as soon as the season ends i gain all of it back, sure i work out and lift but no matter what i do i go back to being around 220-225lbs. ive got a little bit'o chub on me even during the season but im sure my team mates will attest that under that layer of fat is alot of muscle. its actually quite deceptive sometimes, like this one heavyweight that was on our team. he was about 6'1 265lbs (by no means a small guy) however he could run a mile in a solid 7 minutes, by no means is that the fastest mile but for someone that big its amazing. people like that arent "unhealthy" or completely what we would call "healthy" either Edited by D-szlos

QUOTE (Skarredmind @ Jul 6 2007, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
blink.gif

wow...

This is funny a bunch of smokers complaining about how unhealthy fat people are...

Hi pot, I'm the kettle, you're black.

How disappointing. huh.gif

ROFL Good point, we're probably going to die early like the unhealthy fat people (as we've determined that there's a super-healthy kind of fat person as well, which I, out of respect and lack of anything more respectful to call them, will call them 'larger').

It's a hopefully harmless rant, is all. Better than going up to some fat person and yelling at them "You're fat! Stop eating crap!" My body-builder ex monogamous FB used to tell me that all the time, same weight then as I am now, aka: not too freaking bad at all... it hurt a lot sad.gif Then I'd bring in a liter of Dr. Pepper and drink it in front of him, and then we'd go to the mall or for a walk and sometimes I'd get hit on. Sweet justice! XD

QUOTE (Skarredmind @ Jul 6 2007, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
blink.gif

wow...

This is funny a bunch of smokers complaining about how unhealthy fat people are...

Hi pot, I'm the kettle, you're black.

How disappointing. huh.gif

I think your high expectations are incongruous with the internet.

QUOTE (Skarredmind @ Jul 6 2007, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (insidius @ Jul 6 2007, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think your high expectations are incongruous with the internet.

You're right. Stupid fat people. They should be healthy like me, and smoke.

I'm not too sure what that was supposed to mean, but just to clarify, I agree with your original sentiment. If you're looking to pin me as 'opposition' in this thread, you've got the wrong person.

All I'm saying is that on the internet, you can't expect everyone to have the same moral standards you have.

insidius :- Your command of the english language is incongruous with the internet

LOL.

People should read more - or at least dictionary.com the words they don't understand!

JD

QUOTE (insidius @ Jul 6 2007, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not too sure what that was supposed to mean, but just to clarify, I agree with your original sentiment. If you're looking to pin me as 'opposition' in this thread, you've got the wrong person.

All I'm saying is that on the internet, you can't expect everyone to have the same moral standards you have.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.

So when I disagreed, you felt it was necessary to inform me that not everyone agrees all the time, and that was meant to show support for my original sentiment.

Now why did I initially find that confusing?! How silly of me!

Gotcha... I won't "pin" you as the opposition anymore.

Hmm you wonder why I started this in the first place? Well heres the thing, people are jumping all over smokers for being unhealthy, yet they dont do nearly as much in an attempt to ban McDonalds, thats why I started this thread, Im blaming Hypocrites (sp? and yes Im too lazy to dictionary.com it).

The thing that pisses me off the most is when fat obesse people get handicap stickers so they can park closer!!! A little self control goes a long way especialy when it comes to eating. Obesse people are people who have and most likely continue to make poor decisions over and over again which resulted in their size. You can blame the cost of natural foods and healthier diets compared to fast food and junk food but at the end of the day if I had to choose between a meal at McDonalds and no meal at all, it would be no meal hands down. And natural foods arent even that expensive, fruit is relatively cheap and one of the best things u can eat period. Ive done a lot of research when it comes to the shit people put into their bodys and one of the best preventions for most diseases is fasting, no food only water for anywhere from 3 days to a week. A lot of people call this starving yourself but in reality your body cleans and repares itself a lot faster when ur digestive system is not in use. Your body feeds off of stored fat and ive always felt great after a fast. Anyways if people had more self control we wouldnt have as many fat people but I guess you can also blame fast food joints for making it affordable and easy to get fat.

QUOTE (jaker29902 @ Jul 6 2007, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm you wonder why I started this in the first place? Well heres the thing, people are jumping all over smokers for being unhealthy, yet they dont do nearly as much in an attempt to ban McDonalds, thats why I started this thread, Im blaming Hypocrites (sp? and yes Im too lazy to dictionary.com it).

Oooh I got it, you get mad because people discriminate against smokers, so you discriminate against someone else. So its bad if someone does it to you, but ok for you to do the same thing to someone else...

Overweight people are one of the most discriminated against group of people in this country (the USA) today, maybe instead of trying to find someone else to pick on to make you feel better you should compare their bad habits and yours, then maybe work togther to stop the bastards from coming after BOTH of you.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

QUOTE (Foos @ Jul 9 2007, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing that pisses me off the most is when fat obesse people get handicap stickers so they can park closer!!! A little self control goes a long way especialy when it comes to eating. Obesse people are people who have and most likely continue to make poor decisions over and over again which resulted in their size. You can blame the cost of natural foods and healthier diets compared to fast food and junk food but at the end of the day if I had to choose between a meal at McDonalds and no meal at all, it would be no meal hands down. And natural foods arent even that expensive, fruit is relatively cheap and one of the best things u can eat period. Ive done a lot of research when it comes to the shit people put into their bodys and one of the best preventions for most diseases is fasting, no food only water for anywhere from 3 days to a week. A lot of people call this starving yourself but in reality your body cleans and repares itself a lot faster when ur digestive system is not in use. Your body feeds off of stored fat and ive always felt great after a fast. Anyways if people had more self control we wouldnt have as many fat people but I guess you can also blame fast food joints for making it affordable and easy to get fat.

Mmm... there is not enough deodorant in the world for this conversation.