Overweightness/obseity

QUOTE (Foos @ Jul 8 2007, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing that pisses me off the most is when fat obesse people get handicap stickers so they can park closer!!! A little self control goes a long way especialy when it comes to eating. Obesse people are people who have and most likely continue to make poor decisions over and over again which resulted in their size. You can blame the cost of natural foods and healthier diets compared to fast food and junk food but at the end of the day if I had to choose between a meal at McDonalds and no meal at all, it would be no meal hands down. And natural foods arent even that expensive, fruit is relatively cheap and one of the best things u can eat period. Ive done a lot of research when it comes to the shit people put into their bodys and one of the best preventions for most diseases is fasting, no food only water for anywhere from 3 days to a week. A lot of people call this starving yourself but in reality your body cleans and repares itself a lot faster when ur digestive system is not in use. Your body feeds off of stored fat and ive always felt great after a fast. Anyways if people had more self control we wouldnt have as many fat people but I guess you can also blame fast food joints for making it affordable and easy to get fat.

id like to highly disagree with you about fasting. Ive seen many studies saying fasting is not the best way to lose weight, nor is it really healthy. if you want to clean your system get some fiber. Talking about self control is MUCh harder than actually doing it. Have you seen studies about people being addicted to food? its true, and its prolly the hardest thing to get off of. Because to survive you need food, you cant just quit cold turkey like you can with cigerattes or any other drug.

This whole thread is disapointing in my eyes and im thinking of starting an anti smoking thread :-P NOT. Basically im going to be mean about this. If ur not overweight then STFU you have no right to say anything. If one of ur family members is overweight help them realize it and maybe try to help... but some people may get offended..

btw.. id like to say healthy food is OVERLY expensive, even fruit.. if you have a family of 5, its a big burden on the pocket book.Im sorry for turning into an ass. buti had to. anyways gnight all! =-)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to any sort of physical or mental imparment. I have no idea if their weight issue is a thyroid problem, a genetic issue, perhaps an injury or a side effect of some medication? In most cases, I agree that it's a case of calories in and calories out, but I know some people that are obese due to no fault of their own. Just like when an anti-smoking group wants to brand you with the "you are going to get cancer and your puppy will die from second hand smoke" arguement, there is much to be said for genetics and body composition when it comes to weight.

I can only comment from a uk perspective here.

Being overweight, i believe in a high portion of cases, 35%?, could well be due to mental related problems.
There was recently such a discussion on the bbc and one very interesting comment came from a man who lost 8Stone.
"Not through a dietician, through a psychologist / Therapist".

I believe that being overweight is symptomatic of other issues, if there was better help & support then maybe this would be less of an issue?

It's easy for the keyboard warriors to talk to self control, diets & self-discipline. Just like it's easy to quit smoking and other Class A/B Drugs?

Of course it isn't. And neither can unhealthy and/or overeating issues. It's not as black & white as some have made mention.

Just my own thoughts & opinions.

JD

I agree with the phycological idea of being the way to get people to loose weight.

I would also like to tell this thread starter to go fuck himself. He is living in a white castle with no view of the people around him. Do you really think that every large person is large because they said not to a slice of cheese? Or could it be becuase some of them have had issues as home, depression that has let them to eat for comfort, low metabolism, born large due to genetics or maybe the fact that they feel they cannot exercise anymore due to the fact that they will be judged by little shits like you and are now in their own little catch 22.

I have to agree with Skarredmind that you are one big mother fucking hypocrite. It is ok for you to tell someone that might have mental issues, genetic makeup to make them large, issues at home that they should not be fat and that it is unreasonable to be over the perfect size you feel you are but it is fine for you to smoke your lungs out and moan when you are not allowed to do it in public due to peoples health. Get real.

And for the record, a fat non smoker will live longer than a skinny smoker. Maybe we should ban smoking all together then seen as it is so unhealthy. Or maybe it is your free choice that should allow us to all smoke and eat when we like.

QUOTE (PerznPerversion @ Jul 9 2007, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Foos @ Jul 8 2007, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing that pisses me off the most is when fat obesse people get handicap stickers so they can park closer!!! A little self control goes a long way especialy when it comes to eating. Obesse people are people who have and most likely continue to make poor decisions over and over again which resulted in their size. You can blame the cost of natural foods and healthier diets compared to fast food and junk food but at the end of the day if I had to choose between a meal at McDonalds and no meal at all, it would be no meal hands down. And natural foods arent even that expensive, fruit is relatively cheap and one of the best things u can eat period. Ive done a lot of research when it comes to the shit people put into their bodys and one of the best preventions for most diseases is fasting, no food only water for anywhere from 3 days to a week. A lot of people call this starving yourself but in reality your body cleans and repares itself a lot faster when ur digestive system is not in use. Your body feeds off of stored fat and ive always felt great after a fast. Anyways if people had more self control we wouldnt have as many fat people but I guess you can also blame fast food joints for making it affordable and easy to get fat.

id like to highly disagree with you about fasting. Ive seen many studies saying fasting is not the best way to lose weight, nor is it really healthy. if you want to clean your system get some fiber. Talking about self control is MUCh harder than actually doing it. Have you seen studies about people being addicted to food? its true, and its prolly the hardest thing to get off of. Because to survive you need food, you cant just quit cold turkey like you can with cigerattes or any other drug.

This whole thread is disapointing in my eyes and im thinking of starting an anti smoking thread :-P NOT. Basically im going to be mean about this. If ur not overweight then STFU you have no right to say anything. If one of ur family members is overweight help them realize it and maybe try to help... but some people may get offended..

btw.. id like to say healthy food is OVERLY expensive, even fruit.. if you have a family of 5, its a big burden on the pocket book.Im sorry for turning into an ass. buti had to. anyways gnight all! =-)

Ok for one I never said fasting was a way of losing weight, its not, in most cases peope who fast gain the small amount of weight they lost back rather quickly, I siad its a way to stay healthy and also prevent the occurance of desieses, cancer being one of them. I encourage you to do a little more reading on the matter and maybe even try it if you havnt yet but basically its been used to cleanse the body for centuries and yes, there are wrong ways of doing it, but done correctly theres nothing bad about it. I understand your point of view when it comes to addictions, I'm sure its hard as hell for people addicted to food to stop eating but the simple fact remains that the majority of obesse people arent addicted and infact just make poor decidions. And just becuase im not obesse doen not mean I cannot comment about them or the problems they put themselves in. And shit my ride to work is here lol. Ill finish this later. dry.gif

In the USA, people with dyslexia get handicap stickers for their cars. And fat people are the ones that piss you off? lol. A fat person might find it harder to walk. Why does a dyslexic person warrant a disabled parking space?

"Your body feeds off of stored fat and ive always felt great after a fast" This is complete bullshit. Your body does not feed off stored fat when you stop eating. When you stop eating, the body shuts down and stores the fat as it thinks that the body will not receive any more food for a long time. Again this has something to do with your metabolism rate. Which if it were high, then you wouldn't be fat anyway. So another bullshit theory.

I will say this once... and ONLY once as I would like nothing more than hurt a few select people here for their cruel comments....

Try losing weight.

Go on - NO fast food, no soda, no sweets, no fatty foods, nothing.
Limit yourself to 1000-1300 calories a day.
And drink about 1 gallon of water.
Then do 1 hour of excerise.

Then KEEP at it all the time, for the rest of your life.

I managed to lose 60 pounds last year... 60 freaking pounds! I can do 45 min of Ellipical, an hour of Gazelle - walk 6 miles a day and bench press most people here (I can and do pick up my 155lb BF all the time)...

And I'm still big...

Unless you have walked a mile in our (overweight, but trying to get slimmer) shoes don't diss all overweight people. I admit, many who are don't care and don't even want to try and do anything about it - for those people, I feel sorry about/for.

But I am trying - i struggle, fight and cry about it EACH AND EVERY DAMN DAY... Being Female doesn't help as the pressures to be thin and beautiful added ontop of a already poor self image. But for those of us who are trying, it hurts when we see people acting and talking this way - would you like it if I pointed out your defects and laughed about them? Joked and picked on you most of your life.... hum? Made you feel worthless and pathetic, ashamed of living?

Just stop and think before you open your mouth - words may be words, but sometimes they cut deeper than steel. Edited by lazria

QUOTE (ghostofdavid @ Jul 9 2007, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Marilyn Monroe, the paradigm of female beauty was a size 14-16...

You don't have to be Twiggy to be beautiful.

Yeap, but look in any magazine, watch the TV, look at just about anything...

It's a sad state of affairs... too much either way is not good.

And JD has a valid point - eating disorders are becoming more and more common. Mental state does play a large role in more things that many people believe. I know - I talk from experience.

QUOTE (lazria @ Jul 9 2007, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ghostofdavid @ Jul 9 2007, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Marilyn Monroe, the paradigm of female beauty was a size 14-16...

You don't have to be Twiggy to be beautiful.

Yeap, but look in any magazine, watch the TV, look at just about anything...

It's a sad state of affairs... too much either way is not good.

And JD has a valid point - eating disorders are becoming more and more common. Mental state does play a large role in more things that many people believe. I know - I talk from experience.

I'm rather sorry to say that I also talk from experience.

I have a hard time keeping my weight stable. And with our much more sedentry lifestyles these days it is a real concern.

Some of the generalisations shown here have made me quite upset.

JD

QUOTE (Foos @ Jul 9 2007, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok for one I never said fasting was a way of losing weight, its not, in most cases peope who fast gain the small amount of weight they lost back rather quickly, I siad its a way to stay healthy and also prevent the occurance of desieses, cancer being one of them. I encourage you to do a little more reading on the matter and maybe even try it if you havnt yet but basically its been used to cleanse the body for centuries and yes, there are wrong ways of doing it, but done correctly theres nothing bad about it.

You never said it directly, no, but by posting it on this thread as part of your "Obese people have no self control" response, you certainly indicated that that was how you felt. I guess the best way to avoid this in the furure would be to put tangents that are unrelated to the rest of your argument into another thread.

I understand your point of view when it comes to addictions, I'm sure its hard as hell for people addicted to food to stop eating but the simple fact remains that the majority of obesse people arent addicted and infact just make poor decidions. And just becuase im not obesse doen not mean I cannot comment about them or the problems they put themselves in. And shit my ride to work is here lol. Ill finish this later. dry.gif

All of the people who are addicted to food have made poor decisions... yup. Just like all of the people who are addicted to ANYTHING (and just about everyone else who isn't too). Hell we smoke, you can't tell me that that is a GOOD decision. Why do we do it? Because we like it, because it is our body to destroy or take care of as we see it. I really really hate it when people think they know better about someone else's life/body and try to tell them how to live or look down on them because they don't share the same view.

You're right, you have every right to comment on obese people, just like Perzn has every right to tell you to STFU, because, a) since its not your body, its not really your business how someone else is shaped, and cool.gif I really doubt that you are medically qualified to offer a solution to the poor misguided fools who think that a cheeseburger tastes better than some delicious rice cakes and couscous. (Especially with your fasting ideas, seriously, if fasting prevented cancer, why aren't doctors telling everyone to regularly fast??)

The point here really boils down to this. If its not your body, its not your business. Whether that be smoking, drinking, sex, lard, hamsters etc. I agree, and I think most of us will agree that neither obese people nor the rest of the population really deserves any special treatment. My issue remains, that obese people are discriminated against worse than smokers in many ways. A smoker is only bothering someone when they are smoking near them, some people, seem to be offended that people with different body types even exist. Yeah they are pushing more anti smoking laws, but laws against transfats aren't far behind, and like I said before, maybe instead of seeing obese people as inferior, the better option is to join up with them and protect BOTH of our rights to use our own bodies the way we want... Anti smoking/anti obesity legislation is a slippery slope, the more we let them illegalise the more they WILL make illegal, and the real concern is what will they tell us we can't do next?

QUOTE (Allia22 @ Jul 6 2007, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a hopefully harmless rant, is all. Better than going up to some fat person and yelling at them "You're fat! Stop eating crap!" My body-builder ex monogamous FB used to tell me that all the time, same weight then as I am now, aka: not too freaking bad at all... it hurt a lot sad.gif Then I'd bring in a liter of Dr. Pepper and drink it in front of him, and then we'd go to the mall or for a walk and sometimes I'd get hit on. Sweet justice! XD

I've had people tell me that before... :{

And then they woke up 2 hours later with a broken nose.

I'm not a voilent person, but push my buttons and you better run faster than me (and longer than I can) cause If I catch you....

But yeah - this thread does erik me just alittle, but.... (alittle humor)

I've been hit on so many times when I worked a cell phone kisok in a mall, we (3 larger chicks) kept a score board to see who got the most in a week - biggrin.gif Edited by lazria

QUOTE (Skarredmind @ Jul 9 2007, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Foos @ Jul 9 2007, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok for one I never said fasting was a way of losing weight, its not, in most cases peope who fast gain the small amount of weight they lost back rather quickly, I siad its a way to stay healthy and also prevent the occurance of desieses, cancer being one of them. I encourage you to do a little more reading on the matter and maybe even try it if you havnt yet but basically its been used to cleanse the body for centuries and yes, there are wrong ways of doing it, but done correctly theres nothing bad about it.

You never said it directly, no, but by posting it on this thread as part of your "Obese people have no self control" response, you certainly indicated that that was how you felt. I guess the best way to avoid this in the furure would be to put tangents that are unrelated to the rest of your argument into another thread.

I understand your point of view when it comes to addictions, I'm sure its hard as hell for people addicted to food to stop eating but the simple fact remains that the majority of obesse people arent addicted and infact just make poor decidions. And just becuase im not obesse doen not mean I cannot comment about them or the problems they put themselves in. And shit my ride to work is here lol. Ill finish this later. dry.gif

All of the people who are addicted to food have made poor decisions... yup. Just like all of the people who are addicted to ANYTHING (and just about everyone else who isn't too). Hell we smoke, you can't tell me that that is a GOOD decision. Why do we do it? Because we like it, because it is our body to destroy or take care of as we see it. I really really hate it when people think they know better about someone else's life/body and try to tell them how to live or look down on them because they don't share the same view.

You're right, you have every right to comment on obese people, just like Perzn has every right to tell you to STFU, because, a) since its not your body, its not really your business how someone else is shaped, and cool.gif I really doubt that you are medically qualified to offer a solution to the poor misguided fools who think that a cheeseburger tastes better than some delicious rice cakes and couscous. (Especially with your fasting ideas, seriously, if fasting prevented cancer, why aren't doctors telling everyone to regularly fast??)

The point here really boils down to this. If its not your body, its not your business. Whether that be smoking, drinking, sex, lard, hamsters etc. I agree, and I think most of us will agree that neither obese people nor the rest of the population really deserves any special treatment. My issue remains, that obese people are discriminated against worse than smokers in many ways. A smoker is only bothering someone when they are smoking near them, some people, seem to be offended that people with different body types even exist. Yeah they are pushing more anti smoking laws, but laws against transfats aren't far behind, and like I said before, maybe instead of seeing obese people as inferior, the better option is to join up with them and protect BOTH of our rights to use our own bodies the way we want... Anti smoking/anti obesity legislation is a slippery slope, the more we let them illegalise the more they WILL make illegal, and the real concern is what will they tell us we can't do next?

+354326536537 u know how 2 think =-) and uve said mostly everything i wanted to respond SO THANX =-)

Heres a lil response to the addiction to food. For one you dont have any numbers to say that most of the people who are overweight, arnt addicted to food. I know alot of people that ARE addicted to food and if you watched super size me or w/e. DIdnt he get addicted to mc donalds?? i might be wrong cuz i watched the movie a long time ago and only once..

Anyways In response to you saying you didnt say that fasting was a good way to lose weight. For one why mention it when this thread is about OBESITY lol number two didnt you say that your body will digest stored fat?? doesnt that mean you will lose weight?? it is implied that you said that.

anyways every1 have a good day and GOOD EATIN! :-P haahhaha

You all are aware that the definition of Obese means: To be 20 pounds over the average height to weight ratio.

Just to put this in perspective: I weigh 179lbs at 5'9". I have a low body fat count. When I go in for physicals for sports I am told I am OBESE. Yes, at 179lbs I am considered OBESE to doctors. Just think about that for a couple minutes. They even laugh when they tell me this. If you just look at how my shoulders are cut you can tell I can in no way drop to 160 or less. A good portion of these obesity "epidemics" are not fat. Every body builder out there is placed in the obese category. If I were to hit the gym hard as I have done in the past and go back to 190lbs or 200lbs they will tell me I am 40 pounds overweight.

Just because you have weight on you does not make you unhealthy. We cant expect everyone to run a 1.5 miles in 9 1/2 minutes can we?

Most of the large obesity issue comes from stress in peoples lives. Work, their weight, life, socialization, video games. This all stacks on top of it self. Fast food does not help, but hell people live their lives at a faster pace than 30 years ago. Got to drop the kids off here, then there, then home make something for dinner, maybe just buy McDs. Then take the kids to here after dinner then come home and put them in bed. To get someone out of that routine takes a hell of alot of work.

I have pretty much stopped eating fast food. I occasionally eat Taco Bell once a month. Its not hard to tell yourself no. The problem comes in when you can not continue to do so. I have gone on cutting diets before, they suck ass. You get sick of eating the same thing all the time. There are only so many ways to eat chicken before you want to kill yourself. Water, don't get me started on drinking water. I love Coke. I used to drink 6-10 a day. I have since cut back to 1-2 a day. Water makes up the rest of my intake as does Crystal Lite Ice Tea mix in my water.

Life just requires exercising. You can still be 250-300-350 or bigger if you can move around perfectly fine. There are some issues out there in peoples body that causes them not to drop weight. Thyroid is one of them. If your Thyroid is not working properly and is producing less than it should you CAN NOT DROP WEIGHT. You go on meds to keep the Thyroid at normal levels but it still is not producing like it should. In turn you can not cut the weight and burn the fat. The only people I have met with Thyroid issues who can cut weight have Diabetes as well. And as we all know, that is not something you want to have.

QUOTE (Scheetz @ Jul 9 2007, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You all are aware that the definition of Obese means: To be 20 pounds over the average height to weight ratio.

Just to put this in perspective: I weigh 179lbs at 5'9". I have a low body fat count. When I go in for physicals for sports I am told I am OBESE. Yes, at 179lbs I am considered OBESE to doctors. Just think about that for a couple minutes. They even laugh when they tell me this. If you just look at how my shoulders are cut you can tell I can in no way drop to 160 or less. A good portion of these obesity "epidemics" are not fat. Every body builder out there is placed in the obese category. If I were to hit the gym hard as I have done in the past and go back to 190lbs or 200lbs they will tell me I am 40 pounds overweight.

Just because you have weight on you does not make you unhealthy. We cant expect everyone to run a 1.5 miles in 9 1/2 minutes can we?

Most of the large obesity issue comes from stress in peoples lives. Work, their weight, life, socialization, video games. This all stacks on top of it self. Fast food does not help, but hell people live their lives at a faster pace than 30 years ago. Got to drop the kids off here, then there, then home make something for dinner, maybe just buy McDs. Then take the kids to here after dinner then come home and put them in bed. To get someone out of that routine takes a hell of alot of work.

I have pretty much stopped eating fast food. I occasionally eat Taco Bell once a month. Its not hard to tell yourself no. The problem comes in when you can not continue to do so. I have gone on cutting diets before, they suck ass. You get sick of eating the same thing all the time. There are only so many ways to eat chicken before you want to kill yourself. Water, don't get me started on drinking water. I love Coke. I used to drink 6-10 a day. I have since cut back to 1-2 a day. Water makes up the rest of my intake as does Crystal Lite Ice Tea mix in my water.

Life just requires exercising. You can still be 250-300-350 or bigger if you can move around perfectly fine. There are some issues out there in peoples body that causes them not to drop weight. Thyroid is one of them. If your Thyroid is not working properly and is producing less than it should you CAN NOT DROP WEIGHT. You go on meds to keep the Thyroid at normal levels but it still is not producing like it should. In turn you can not cut the weight and burn the fat. The only people I have met with Thyroid issues who can cut weight have Diabetes as well. And as we all know, that is not something you want to have.

I agree with you all the way..

EXCERCISE in my opinion is the best way to lose weight. i remember 2 years ago when i was working out everyday and eating more than i usually did, i still lost weight. i lost over 30 pounds from eating normal and jut working out. but i drank cancer causing diet coke instead of regular coke lol. I need to get back in the habit, i remember how good it felt to have that kind of strength.. i used to play in a raquetball league and everything. i recomend that as a sport for bigger people because its not a big space 2 move in, its just reaction and how u hit the ball =-)

QUOTE (Foos @ Jul 9 2007, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing that pisses me off the most is when fat obesse people get handicap stickers so they can park closer!!!

You know if you are incapable of using a cellphone properly you can also get a handicap sticker.

And natural foods arent even that expensive.

Where the hell do you live. For a gallon of all natural bullshit MOO MOO COW F**K MILK they want $5.50. FIVE FIFTY!!!!!! FOR A GALLON. Thanks but I'll take my steroid induced 2% for $2.50 or less. You can spend $100 for all natural foods and walk out with 1 bag full. Or you can go spend $100 for regular food and walk out with 8 bags. Your choice.

Ive done a lot of research when it comes to the shit people put into their bodys and one of the best preventions for most diseases is fasting, no food only water for anywhere from 3 days to a week. A lot of people call this starving yourself but in reality your body cleans and repairs itself a lot faster when ur digestive system is not in use. Your body feeds off of stored fat and ive always felt great after a fast.

I have gone for a week without food. It sucks ass, I could not sleep because of the amount of saliva my mouth was creating. I was like a god damn waterfall for 3 days. This was not by choice but because of my throat surgery that I had. So I do not know about you, but last time I checked starving your body is not healthy. Sure I dropped 10lbs that week, but as soon as you start eating again even if its healthy you gain it back. Fasting just cuts water weight thats it. You are not burning fat for shit. wink.gif

If you heal faster by not eating how come doctors don't tell patients after surgery to go for a full business week without eating anything? Fasting only occurs because of 1 reason. Religion, ok maybe two reasons. Religion and Hippies.

QUOTE (Scheetz @ Jul 9 2007, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing that pisses me off the most is when fat obesse people get handicap stickers so they can park closer!!!

You know if you are incapable of using a cellphone properly you can also get a handicap sticker.

And natural foods arent even that expensive.

Where the hell do you live. For a gallon of all natural bullshit MOO MOO COW F**K MILK they want $5.50. FIVE FIFTY!!!!!! FOR A GALLON. Thanks but I'll take my steroid induced 2% for $2.50 or less. You can spend $100 for all natural foods and walk out with 1 bag full. Or you can go spend $100 for regular food and walk out with 8 bags. Your choice.

Ive done a lot of research when it comes to the shit people put into their bodys and one of the best preventions for most diseases is fasting, no food only water for anywhere from 3 days to a week. A lot of people call this starving yourself but in reality your body cleans and repairs itself a lot faster when ur digestive system is not in use. Your body feeds off of stored fat and ive always felt great after a fast.

I have gone for a week without food. It sucks ass, I could not sleep because of the amount of saliva my mouth was creating. I was like a god damn waterfall for 3 days. This was not by choice but because of my throat surgery that I had. So I do not know about you, but last time I checked starving your body is not healthy. Sure I dropped 10lbs that week, but as soon as you start eating again even if its healthy you gain it back. Fasting just cuts water weight thats it. You are not burning fat for shit. wink.gif

If you heal faster by not eating how come doctors don't tell patients after surgery to go for a full business week without eating anything? Fasting only occurs because of 1 reason. Religion, ok maybe two reasons. Religion and Hippies.

here

Like I said before, I never said it was good for wieght loss, its not, its just a good way to stay healthy. Google fasting as well and you can find a lot more info. Do some research before you make assumptions. Edited by Foos

QUOTE (Foos @ Jul 9 2007, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like I said before, I never said it was good for wieght loss, its not, its just a good way to stay healthy. Google fasting as well and you can find a lot more info. Do some research before you make assumptions.

If you weed through all the controversy, you’ll find that most medical experts agree on one thing: fasting is not a healthy weight loss tool.

"The appeal is that [fasting] is quick – but it is quick fluid loss, not substantial weight loss," says Madelyn Fernstrom, PhD, CNS, founder and director of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center’s Weight Loss Management Center.

"If it’s easy off, it will come back quickly" -- as soon as you start eating normally again, she says.

Even some proponents of fasting for other medical purposes do not support fasting for weight loss. Some say it can actually make weight problems worse.

"Fasting is not a weight loss tool. Fasting slows your metabolic rate down so your diet from before the fast is even more fattening after you fast," says Joel Fuhrman MD, author of Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Plan for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss and Fasting and Eating for Health.

Fasting for weight loss carries other health risks as well.

While fasting for a day or two is rarely a problem if you are healthy, "it can be quite dangerous if you are not already eating a healthy diet, or if you’ve got liver or kidney problems, any kind of compromised immune system functioning, or are on medication -- even Tylenol," says Fuhrman, a family physician in Flemington, N.J..

He adds that "it will only work if you frame the fast with good nutrition before and after. For most medical conditions, if you stick to a strict diet, you don’t even need fasting."

Must be real healthy if that is the first thing you basically read.

You can keep fasting, I'll just keep eating healthy. wink.gif

Wow dude, you really just dont get it, for the last fucking time I NEVER once said fasting was a good weight loss tool. I even said its not a good idea if all your trying to do is lose weight. I only said that it was healthy thing to do ever now and then because its an amazing detox for your body along with a lot of other benifits. I take it you didnt even read that article because everything you posted was basically in there, but thanks for reposting it!

No problem. I read the article and it in no way supports any of the crap you have been saying about it being healthy. All they state is "Oh my they did it a thousand years ago so it must be good right?"

I am aware you stated it was not healthy for weight loss. Calm down champ, I used that article to cover everything. You are the one who linked it.

Like I said, you can fast, I'll eat meat.