So, You Want To Start A Hookah Lounge : Updated.

[quote name='mushrat' date='27 January 2010 - 08:29 AM' timestamp='1264606160' post='447978']
sorry, ive been dealing with a lot of outside the forum shit. I'll catch up on the thread and post info later today when im sitting on my ass at work. :)
[/quote]

Totally understandable. Work first, fun later. Thanks for the help you have provided so far, It has helped a lot.

Whats up everyone,

I'm a student in the process of starting up a hookah bar right across the street from a growing university campus with virtually nothing as far as hang outs go, and I need some help...

From a research and development standpoint, Plato's Lounge (the name of the future place) is pretty close to ready. If you want to check out the business plan or expense docs, ask me! I've got no less than 20k worth of pledged investment that I need to figure out how to make official, and the business is already set up and recognized as an LLC in the state of Virginia. I've got a website up and running with a pretty decent following and a lot of direct market research coming out of the site with things like Facebook and Google Doc surveys. There are a few good locations directly across the street from the university, but I'm putting off leasing until I know for sure we'll have the money to pay for the first year + start up costs.

[b]What we need other than as much guidance as possible:[/b]
[list=1][*]More capital (I plan on going to a local bank soon, but I doubt anything is going to come of it)[*]Insurance coverage (I dont even know where to start. I've been figuring $1000 per month to try and high-ball the number)[*]Legal representation and oversight. I dont know how to allocate ownership of the business to who and for how much. The founders created Plato's Lounge from the ground up, but we're just shy of broke college students. The investors brought the money, we brought the refined idea.[*]More advice![/list]

If anyone (mush?) thinks they can help in any way, please hit me up or respond in the thread.

Oh yeah, the website is www.platoslounge.com if anyone is interested!

[quote name='TenaciousH' date='02 February 2010 - 11:59 AM' timestamp='1265137171' post='449189']
Oh yeah, the website is www.platoslounge.com if anyone is interested!
[/quote]
Coming from a web developer, your website could use some touch ups but I think you already knew that. PM me, I'll hook you up with a few hours of my time so your website looks a little more professional.

Outside of that, I'm not much help on the business end, I'm not as far along in the process.

Hey there [url="http://www.hookahforum.com/user/21780-tenacioush/"][color="#4e6a97"]TenaciousH[/color][/url]... can i see your business plan.... to get an idea of this.. thank you.

[quote name='anthony' date='02 February 2010 - 07:01 PM' timestamp='1265162495' post='449298']
Hey there [url="http://www.hookahforum.com/user/21780-tenacioush/"][color="#4e6a97"]TenaciousH[/color][/url]... can i see your business plan.... to get an idea of this.. thank you.
[/quote]

also the expense doc. thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, my offer of some free website development goes for anyone here. I'm portfolio building and it would good for diversifying. PM me

I would be curiouse to know what mistakes hookah bar owners made and what they learned from it.

[quote name='mushrat' date='16 February 2010 - 11:01 AM' timestamp='1266339714' post='451765']
I know my first mistakes were starting with my prices too low and the number of people i let smoke on a pipe too high.

Next one I open will be better from the get go.
[/quote]

Does that mean you are calling it quits on the NC bullshit law and moving the business elsewhere?

hey everyone,
sorry if i am way late on the topic. I am a new member. But i wanted to say thanks for the great information on this topic. I myself am a good deal into the plan and setting up of my own place. The info on here is great and i just wanted to put that out there.

[quote name='mushrat' date='21 February 2010 - 04:28 PM' timestamp='1266787721' post='452732']
you're welcome. :D
[/quote]

Hello everyone!

Me and a friend of mine have filled out the EIN number as well as talked to three or four realtors near our Campus at CNU in Newport News Virginia. There is only one other Hookah Lounge in the area, that is very successful and has served as an inspiration for us. We are nearing completion on our business plan and talked to wholesalers and plan to open at the beginning of the summer. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for us or anything else to consider.

Thank you.

[quote name='mushrat' date='26 February 2010 - 08:01 AM' timestamp='1267189300' post='453968']
My best advice is not to open a lounge in a state that hasn't already gone through the whole indoor smoking law crap.
[/quote]
I don't think maryland has. But il look it up

• 2 weeks later...
And revived again. This thread is very relevant to my interests. As I want to open a lounge of my own. blah blah we've all heard it before but I used to manage a hookah lounge so i know a little more than the average bear going into it

If a person wanted to open a hookah lounge or bar in a specific county in a state that has no indoor smoking laws but the surronding counties do and there are no people or organizations that appear to be fighting for it now, but I am sure there is always something trying to get these laws passed, wouldn't that be ok to put a lounge there. All the bars in town allow smoking and there doesn't appear to be anything on the calendar since it was overruled in 2008. I would think it would be an okay place for a lounge but there would most likely be opposition to it I'm sure. Probably as soon as you go for the license they would put a law into affect but it probably doesn't work that quickly to pass a law like that. I wonder if you could get one in place if there would be a way that if a law passed in the future could you qualify for an exemption if you start it out as some particular thing like a private club with membership required or something cultural.