So, You Want To Start A Hookah Lounge : Updated.

I have to ask as well Mush would you care to comment further on your business I know there has been a few updates about your lounge I think you called it Hookahbliss I don't remember sorry if I am wrong. The last thing I remember you saying that there was a possibility of a second hookahbliss being opened

Well, we are approaching our 2 year anniversary and we're still here. More than i can say for a lot of business in this town.

We've added a 47" flat screen tv for regional games, the rest of the time its off.

The economy is hurting everyone, including us. Sales are definitly down all around. Though my advice to anyone thinking of opening one would be keep a good retail stock. I do a good amount of sales in hookahs, tobacco, and accessories.
Oh, and I had to fire a friend. That wasn't much fun. so keep that in mind if you hire friends...

Our expansion plans are on hold until the economy recovers.

I'm still enjoying it overall though and I'm glad i started Hookah Bliss.

QUOTE (mushrat @ Mar 17 2009, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
didnt say i was doing well...just that I'm still here. cool.gif

Thanks for the kind words guys. It's never easy...but it's nice to hear a kind word... smile.gif

Good luck and glad to hear you're still around. I might be making the trek down from DC to NC in June and I will make sure to drop by Hookah Bliss biggrin.gif

May I add my congratulations, that your business is still open, although not necessarily thriving. Since so many businesses fail in the first twelve months, you are fortunate that you have endured.

Strangely, in the bad economy, spending on entertainment, tends to go up. The movie business is one example, Hollywood, continues to rake money in, the economy notwithstanding.

The hookah lounges in Northern VA/WashDC/Southern Maryland, are all packed Fri-Sat, and do a good business during the week. Apparently, when a lounge opens up, the word spreads around by word-of-mouth, and the hookah-smoking community finds out, and the place gets all this free advertising. Plus, the wide use of the internet, and "meetup groups", gets the information to the hookah smokers.

Since hookah is a low-cost entertainment, and it popularity is growing, I am optimistic, that more hookah lounges will open and prosper.

• 2 months later...
I am considering opening a business in a couple of years (need to get money saved up). One of the two ideas is a hookah lounge, the other is a gaming lounge (computers, consoles etc.) I was wondering Mush, at your lounge do you do much as far as private parties? And by that I mean, do you have special bookings or anything for say birthdays or celebrations that people ask you about? Were I to do a gaming lounge I would plan to have a good amount of things like that, advertising about a great place to have a birthday party or to celebrate things like that. I don't know if the same would really fly in a hookah setting but I was wondering if you had any experience with such things?

Also, as I have been reading this thread, I vote that H-F members should all join up and start the first national hookah bar chain. If we can be a big corporation we can buy our exemptions to the smoking bans from those rotten bastard politicians that are all over the place these days. This post is my evidence that this is MY idea btw =p If someone had it before, then DOH! I just liked the thought of H-F coming together and taking over the world, much like Starbucks. We could be our own empire... Ok, that's going too far...

Ramble on!

-Z

QUOTE (Zyram @ May 29 2009, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am considering opening a business in a couple of years (need to get money saved up). One of the two ideas is a hookah lounge, the other is a gaming lounge (computers, consoles etc.) I was wondering Mush, at your lounge do you do much as far as private parties? And by that I mean, do you have special bookings or anything for say birthdays or celebrations that people ask you about? Were I to do a gaming lounge I would plan to have a good amount of things like that, advertising about a great place to have a birthday party or to celebrate things like that. I don't know if the same would really fly in a hookah setting but I was wondering if you had any experience with such things?

Also, as I have been reading this thread, I vote that H-F members should all join up and start the first national hookah bar chain. If we can be a big corporation we can buy our exemptions to the smoking bans from those rotten bastard politicians that are all over the place these days. This post is my evidence that this is MY idea btw =p If someone had it before, then DOH! I just liked the thought of H-F coming together and taking over the world, much like Starbucks. We could be our own empire... Ok, that's going too far...

Ramble on!

-Z

Always interesting when this old post pops up.

I don't do ANy booking because I live and die by my regulars. So I may make a little extra for a private party, I have regulars who come in 4 or 5 times a week who, in the long run are my bread and butter. Imagine going to your usual hang out and being turned away because someone else offed the owner extra money. You feel put out, especially if you traveled any real distance. So id rather miss out on the occasional bookings, but keep the people who keep me going month to month coming back.
My .02
If i can get through the year and survive the goverments attempts to ruin me, i'd like to open another and start to build up a franchise. I may also do some consulting work for people looking to open hookah bars. OR, i may run for a state office in the legislature. but more on that later.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Tempest72 @ Jul 12 2007, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody have any idea about the actual laws for a smoking establishment in Upstate New York? Smoking in regular bars is illegal. I have looked but cannot find the actual smoking law for the state. Thanks for any help.

The laws are actually different than that. Smoking in bars can be permitted if more than 50% of there income comes from people who smoke. Something like that. Also hookah bars are legal. There is one in my small upstate community. Where are you upstate, and if you say Buffalo or Syracuse, God help me I will beat you senseless that is western NY.

QUOTE (bungiman @ Jul 1 2009, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Tempest72 @ Jul 12 2007, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody have any idea about the actual laws for a smoking establishment in Upstate New York? Smoking in regular bars is illegal. I have looked but cannot find the actual smoking law for the state. Thanks for any help.

The laws are actually different than that. Smoking in bars can be permitted if more than 50% of there income comes from people who smoke. Something like that. Also hookah bars are legal. There is one in my small upstate community. Where are you upstate, and if you say Buffalo or Syracuse, God help me I will beat you senseless that is western NY.

LOL. In my mind it is not actually upstate, but to someone from NYC it is. I am in Poughkeepsie...and I am too late. Before I could get a straight answer, someone opened a hookah bar in the same strip of stores I was originally planning on using. So yeah, they are legal here. Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Aaronvb24 @ Jul 17 2009, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mush I have two questions for you.

1. Do you have a ventilation system?
2. Do you need a tobacco license/permit?

1) Yes, i have a rather heavy air handler in the basement and a new AC unit outside that can't keep up on really warm days, but it does keep the smoke down. Other than that i have no special air scrubber or such.

2)yes, i have a NC permit to sell "tobacco, non-cigarette". costs me $15 bucks.

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (hookahhopefull @ Sep 28 2009, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is there age requirement in order to obtain a tobacco license in ohio? its going to be hard to start a lounge at 19 regardless

Do me a favor... go buy, borrow, find the book "The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It" By Michael Gerber

Read it at 25, i started a coffee business and did well, after shutting it down I found this book and thought to myself... "Damn that could have been helpful"

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (mushrat @ Sep 20 2007, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
quick bump for folks...
I know i owe some of you some e-mails. I'll try to get to them this week or weekend. Sorry i havent had a lot of spare time...

Need another bump! biggrin.gif Me any Ryno still need our emails. Just a reminder Mush, still take your time. Like I said, the lounge won't open until next year.