I Quit Smoking Hookah

This thread is for members they have just come back or lurking to say they are out of the hookah smoking game.

No judgments here, I am more interested in why, and how you arrived there.

And for those just leaving the community, Let us know so we don't think you are lying in a ditch somewhere!

Love all my HF buds, past, present, and future.

~Stuie (Still Smoking)

Well guess i'm the first one. I haven't smoked a hookah (besides for 10 min 3 weeks ago and I couldn't stand it.) since November. I just started vaping. Yes I do miss the ritual of setting the hookah up, packing the bowl etc. But honestly the flavor and vapor from vaping is 3x that of my hookah. I have spent WAY more on vaping in the last 7 months then I ever did in that time frame on hookah, but its mostly buying rare expensive mods.

Honestly with hookah I felt like there was nothing new and exciting to learn. I had me dream setup, smoked my dream tangiers and had what I consider the best hookah smoking experience you could have. But with vaping there is a lot more new and exciting things coming out daily, Way more brands of juice and an unlimited number of flavors. 

As far as health wise, I always said that hookah wasn't bad for you. Hell I usually smoked 6-8 hours a DAY for 6 years. You guys know I was ALWAYS smoking. I felt fine while I was doing it also I never really had headaches or anything never coughed up phlegm etc. However since I stopped smoking I fell WAY better. When I lay down to go to bed I actually fall asleep, something that never happened with hookah. Don't get me wrong i'm probably vaping more than I used to smoke hookah. I usually am vaping from around 3pm- 2am daily. I attribute the health effects to the lack of CO from the coals. I was using GC's mind you also.  

Overall I do miss a lot of the old days, but honestly I see vaping growing more and more each day and hookah slowly fading away. Trust me I don't want this to happen, but I feel like it is.

HF is still my home, I met my best friend on here along with countless other amazing wonderful people. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon, and i'd still smoke hookah it's not like i'm opposed to it by any means. It's just that my vape is easier and more flavorful.

Wade

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the input Wade! You're not the first person I've heard say that they've felt better once they permanently switched from Hookah to strictly Vaping. I do both, and I never see myself giving up either personally. 

Same thing is happening to me. I started vaping about 6 years ago to get of cigarettes but still smoked hookah about 2 hours a day. Now if I break out my rig once a month thats a lot. Vaping is so much more convienant. I don't know if I feel better but it is so much less hassle. Also like wade I hit the top of the hookah game and found no where else to go. Vaping allows me to play with liquids and create my own flavors. E-juice is easier to find and wrapping my own coils has me fine tuning my vape all the time. I still enjoy both but I am about 90/10 vape to hookah now.still love chatting in here when time permits.

Ray.

Its interesting to see that everyone likes vaping so much, I dont see it replacing my daily hookah relaxation even though its not hugely practical... Keep the replies coming, at the very least we get to see you folks a bit!
  • Upvote 1

A big part of me enjoying hookah is the hardware. The stems, vases, hoses, they are just so pretty and amazing to collect. Also the feeling of packing a masterpiece that smokes wonderfully ... I don't have that feeling with vapes which is one of the reasons I am not really into vaping.

Honestly, much like Cigarettes, Cigars, Cloves and Etc. Vaping is a fad.

It is incredibly expensive fad that to me doesn't promote a social atmosphere (i.e You necessarily don't want to share it with people even if they are your friends or family and half the time people are sneaking it like its a dirty secret imo OR People flash it off like it is a new piece of jewelry and get in your face over it like OH LOOK AT ME I HAS A VAPE NAO I COOL TOO?) and the convenience for some varies depending on their set up or how much they have spent on it. I say this because I have smoked or tried vape on a couple of different set ups and found that the 'drag' or inhalation was like an attempt to suck a golfball out of a tiny tube and the process of refilling the 'flavor' was a colossal pain.

Not saying that it isn't neat  and I hope that I could have one that doesn't have the drag consistency of a thick milkshake but to me like mattarios2 said - collecting vapes and their hardware isn't the same to me as collecting hookahs that are hand painted, made of glass or have intricate details. 

It is incredibly expensive fad that to me doesn't promote a social atmosphere (i.e You necessarily don't want to share it with people even if they are your friends or family and half the time people are sneaking it like its a dirty secret imo OR People flash it off like it is a new piece of jewelry and get in your face over it like OH LOOK AT ME I HAS A VAPE NAO I COOL TOO?) and the convenience for some varies depending on their set up or how much they have spent on it. I say this because I have smoked or tried vape on a couple of different set ups and found that the 'drag' or inhalation was like an attempt to suck a golfball out of a tiny tube and the process of refilling the 'flavor' was a colossal pain.

So.. ok. You somehow managed to categorize all forms of smoking as a fad while ignoring hookah. Jesus. I appreciate that you have an opinion but your level of bias limits any potential discussion within the thread itself. I guess that I will at least try to provide you with some insight:

1. Vaping is actually cheaper than hookah.

2. I doubt the choice to vaporize is readily dependent on how it looks. Who gives a fuck?

3. It seems as though you are ignorant to how vaporizing works (I am assuming that you would have an issue with someone making a generalization about how horrible hookah is when, in reality, they have only smoked shitty tobacco that was poorly packed out of Chinese garbage).

I have not smoked hookah since I picked up a vaporizer. I started smoking hookah because I truly enjoy smoking and did not like any of the other forms of consumption at the time. Hookah is cool and all but I just do not see myself really smoking anymore. I highly recommend that you do some research on vaporizers and educate yo self.

• Upvote 1

I think they each have their own place. I enjoy both because I enjoy smoking (or vaping rather), not because I'm addicted to cigarettes. I always tell my friends who smoke cigs that I'm glad I'm not a slave to cigarettes- they're always pausing a movie to go outside and smoke, or "Hey, let's go out to the den to talk so we can smoke" (my wife and I allow all forms of smoking in just this one room of our house), etc. I love how I just vape hookah or e-liquid, and enjoy it when I want to. Never feel the need for it. I don't do it to look cool. I just do it because I want to and I enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my vapes, and I'm learning so much about them, spending lots of time building coils and experimenting with new juices and such, but i still smoke hookah when i'm at home. Using a vape just doesn't work for me at home. I vape at work and sometimes when I'm driving and that's it. I can get big flavor and clouds out of my vape, with an absolutely effortless draw and because of the general consistency of vaping, I do enjoy that. But I don't like holding a mod or pressing a button when I vape at home while gaming or watching a movie. With hookah I can just set the hose down on my stomach/chest and go to town while I do whatever else, or set it in my mic stand when i'm at my desktop computer. So really, the only reason I wouldn't switch entirely to vaping is because i'm lazy. Yeah, hookah is a social thing, but I can sit around with my friend while we both vape on our own PV's and it's just as enjoyable and social as sharing a hookah. Vapes can be very pretty, and so can hookahs, and I don't see why you can't have a collection of both and display them both.

I enjoy the act of "smoking". I don't care which form it is as long as: it's not incredibly bad for me, it tastes good, it doesn't leave me smelling gross and it doesn't produce any noticeable negative physiological effects in me. Do what works for you. If you can vape all day and not crave hookah, then save the money and stick to one form factor. I can't, so I don't. Don't give me this "ohhh mines better than yours" attitude, just do what works for you.  

I think they each have their own place. I enjoy both because I enjoy smoking (or vaping rather), not because I'm addicted to cigarettes. I always tell my friends who smoke cigs that I'm glad I'm not a slave to cigarettes- they're always pausing a movie to go outside and smoke, or "Hey, let's go out to the den to talk so we can smoke" I just do it because I want to and I enjoy it.

Thats how I smoke cigarettes too, a pack lasts me a month or more, but if I feel like one when Im idly waiting for the bus or chatting with a friend that I randomly run into I sometimes feel like a cig and I have one. Had one today at the bus stop in the morning, felt great! Hookah is like a relaxing thing that I enjoy to take my time with though, totally different experience!

As for vaping Ive tried some good ones and some bad, the good ones are far out of my price range! :D

• 2 weeks later...

dibs on what i would imagine is wade's endless supply of cane mint

Haha actually all my tang that i have probably isn't good anymore. However I have debated selling some of my hookah gear.

A big part of me enjoying hookah is the hardware. The stems, vases, hoses, they are just so pretty and amazing to collect. Also the feeling of packing a masterpiece that smokes wonderfully ... I don't have that feeling with vapes which is one of the reasons I am not really into vaping.

Once you get into the high end vapes they can be quite beautiful, while I do agree that hookahs can be more intricate and more ornate, some of my vapes cost way more (2-3 times) then my hookahs and look very beautiful.

Not saying that it isn't neat  and I hope that I could have one that doesn't have the drag consistency of a thick milkshake but to me like mattarios2 said - collecting vapes and their hardware isn't the same to me as collecting hookahs that are hand painted, made of glass or have intricate details. 

Honestly I see it the other way. Vaping has blow up more than hookah ever had. Simply because their are multiple uses for it, some people use it to quit smoking cigs and others as a hobby. Simply put there's a bigger fan base to pull from. I honestly see hookahs dying out over the next couple years mostly from FDA regulations, and vaping becoming more acceptable.

You've also obviously never tried a mechanical mod with a rebuildable dripping atty on it. My vapes have less restriction than even my km's.

As far as health wise, I always said that hookah wasn't bad for you. Hell I usually smoked 6-8 hours a DAY for 6 years. You guys know I was ALWAYS smoking. I felt fine while I was doing it also I never really had headaches or anything never coughed up phlegm etc. However since I stopped smoking I fell WAY better. When I lay down to go to bed I actually fall asleep, something that never happened with hookah. Don't get me wrong i'm probably vaping more than I used to smoke hookah. I usually am vaping from around 3pm- 2am daily. I attribute the health effects to the lack of CO from the coals. I was using GC's mind you also.  

Overall I do miss a lot of the old days, but honestly I see vaping growing more and more each day and hookah slowly fading away. Trust me I don't want this to happen, but I feel like it is.

Same here. I sold all (but 1) hookah for other reasons and decided to pick up a vape. I haven't touched the hookah in 2 weeks now, and I feel so much better. I can fall asleep easily, I don't wake up with a huge headache (I thought those were from a car crash, but I guess not), and I'm having a ton of fun experimenting with new coil builds. And right now, I really have no motivation to pack a hookah bowl.  

Yeah I think vapes are pretty much the tackiest looking things out there. I don't take mine out in public, and I'd never want to share it with anyone... But I really doubt you tried a high-end vape. I'm getting more flavor than a hookah, more clouds, and it's more consistent, no heat management. My vape feels less restricted than a Fancy hose, and refilling takes 2 seconds (since I'm dripping).

If you were getting headaches from hookah it would either be an allergy to something in the tobacco or something wasn't right. You shouldn't be getting headaches from hookah.

You can for sure get headaches from hookah, mostly from the carbon monoxide from the coals.

• Upvote 1

Yeah if you smoke too much or ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG. You shouldn't get a headache from CO unless you get into the 100PPM range and at that range for an extended amount of time which is EXTREMELY HIGH and you would have to smoke for a very very long time to reach those levels .... unless you are doing something wrong, which in that case you could reach 100ppm very easily.

Either way Sweedish Snus is easily my #1 tobacco choice.

Yeah if you smoke too much or ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG. You shouldn't get a headache from CO unless you get into the 100PPM range and at that range for an extended amount of time which is EXTREMELY HIGH and you would have to smoke for a very very long time to reach those levels .... unless you are doing something wrong, which in that case you could reach 100ppm very easily.

Either way Sweedish Snus is easily my #1 tobacco choice.

I started getting headaches after smoking like 2-3 bowls a day with anywhere around 2-3 rounds of coals each. I think it was the golden canary coals doing it. They also gave a slightly weird taste as opposed to coco coals.

I haven't quit smoking hookah but I have cut down a lot, I have moved to vaping more and probably already dropped anywhere between 400-500 on it. Oops. Here's my current setup.

2atudyva.jpg