Should Being Pregnant Be Considered Disabled

preggars  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Being pregnant, is being disabled?

So What do you think, If woman becomes pregnant should be considered disabled? If so to what extent, I think Its different for each woman, but for the most part Your work should be doing their best to accommodate you with work load,breaks and having things like water available to drink at anytime. BUt to go as far as giving them a disabled placard for driving or cut tot he front of a line of 100+ people and get your Iphone 4s first even before the people who camped out days before is a bit on the unfair side.

[quote name='king_lunchb0x' timestamp='1330805802' post='541293']
BUt to go as far as giving them a disabled placard for driving or cut tot he front of a line of 100+ people and get your Iphone 4s first even before the people who camped out days before is a bit on the unfair side.
[/quote]

I don't think they should get a placard for parking. That seems silly as a overweight person getting one.
But the whole "cutting to the front of people waiting for an Iphone" seems more like the store being "polite". But I also think people waiting in line for a phone are ridiculous as well and don't have any sympathy for them either.

The best buy out by me has parking spots reserved for "parents with small children". I think that's dumb and I will admit that when I'm just stopping by for a specific purchase(a movie, game, etc) I will park in those spots. Might make me an ass, but such is life. Edited by ChicagoRSX
  • Upvote 1

i think they shouldn't be considered disabled. i like to think that, for the most part, a lot of the people that are disabled did not become so on their own, and it wasn't their decision to be disabled. a lot of the time a girl will choose if she wants to get pregnant and try to get pregnant (i know not all pregnancies are wanted/expected, but in my opinion, most are)

Not disabled officially as in collecting a monthly check, but when they're in the last couple of months we should afford them as much courtesy as possible. If a store wants to let them park in handicapped spaces, so be it. It's not like all those spaces are used anyway. I had a handicap placard for a couple of years (osteonecrosis in my hips), but rarely ever parked in the reserved spots.

This is why there's one parking spot somewhat close to the doors at Wal-Mart that says "Reserved for Expecting Mothers." Not as close as the handicapped spots, but kinda off to the side a bit... on the edge of the parking lot pretty much, but still the first spot. I feel this is a suitable example of how I feel about the topic.

SO far it seems to me more out of being courteous they should be allowed certain things. If they were to collect a check I would be pissed, unless they literally can't get out of bed. The thing is not everyone will be so polite. I have seen some people go crazy when a pregnant lady with 2 kids in the cart had to wait at the end of a pretty long line. An older couple let her cut in front but she didn't get that from anyone else in line. I just think don't always expect courtesy from everyone.

[quote name='king_lunchb0x' timestamp='1330817373' post='541319']
An older couple let her cut in front but she didn't get that from anyone else in line.
[/quote]
Us older people are like that, yeah we are. :D

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1330831000' post='541337']
An older couple let her cut in front but she didn't get that from anyone else in line.
[/quote]
[/quote]
haha, yeah their the only age group I see consistently let people with a few items and what not go ahead

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1330816576' post='541313']
This is why there's one parking spot somewhat close to the doors at Wal-Mart that says "Reserved for Expecting Mothers." Not as close as the handicapped spots, but kinda off to the side a bit... on the edge of the parking lot pretty much, but still the first spot. I feel this is a suitable example of how I feel about the topic.
[/quote]

I agree. I don't think they should be treated like they don't have legs, but from what I understand (read: I haven't had firsthand experience here), the last couple of months of pregnancy can take a toll. Hard to be on your feet, generally tired/not feeling great, etc. Nice to cut them a little slack without treating them like they're at some great disadvantage.

[quote name='king_lunchb0x' timestamp='1330865832' post='541350']
[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1330831000' post='541337']
[/quote]
[/quote]
haha, yeah their the only age group I see consistently let people with a few items and what not go ahead
[/quote]

I do this and I'm 21. If I have a cartful of stuff and I see someone behind me just buying 1-3 things, I tell them to go ahead.
I've also let pregnant women and people with small kids cut me in line.

hey, i let people go ahead of me if the only have 1 item or so.....

Handicapped, not in the legal sense, but yes, they should be given some extra courtesy. After all, Where would any of us be if it wasnt for a pregnant woman schleping themselves around with a bulging belly, aching feet and back, and all the other delightful aspects of carrying another person around inside them.

i think no. people should be respectful and courteous, but also women who are pregnant shouldnt feel entitled to special privileges just cause they decided to get knocked up. i just happen to work with 2 females who use pregnancy as a shield against getting fired despite them being completely worthless in the workforce... and its made me bitter

*yes i know that in cases of rape and molestation it is not the girls decision, and in those instances i am all for giving them whatever they want.

but again, if everyone was considerate and professional and reasonable, there wouldnt even need to be a discussion..

I think this should be viewed as a positive thing because in some cases such as parking at major retailers like Target or a Grocery - one has to park extremely far off from the entry of the store and make a trek to the store. I am not saying from the day the woman concieves the child that they should be granted a disability placard but possibly the last 6 to 5 months when actually have to sling a belly around they should be allowed to have it.

And I personally don't think that women are going to go out of their way to get pregnant just to have the favored parking permit but it would be nice for them not to have to make long treks to and from the store like every one else. Nor are most going to utilize disability placards to cut in lines and the such as stated by the first post - infact what places have rules where disabled individuals get to cut in line solely based on the fact that they are disabled? If it is just apple and their stores then that is their rules or general courtesy that they extend towards those holding that title.

If a pregnancy is a disability, the cause must somehow be a disease, they make meds for that... just ask Rush.

No way in hell I would ever put a person who made a conscious choice to take on a "condition" of their own volition to be on the same par as someone who has missing body parts as a result of nothing they chose to do. That is just plain stupid. Baring any immaculate conceptions, It's a bit like saying people that choose to walk with a limp are disabled.

A woman with a special condition arising out of a complication would be a different matter, but that would not be the question here. The question here is one of the mere fact that pregnancy alone constitutes an equivalence of a real disability.

(putting on flameproof suit.)

Disabled? No. I think there should be some courtesies taken societally, but I don't think it's anything that needs to be enshrined in law, at least not in a first-world country. If we lived in a time or place where basic necessities were in short supply, that would be a different matter. As far as specific examples, it's situational. I'm in favor of pregnant parking at grocery and department stores, because those are places people have regular, necessary errands. Buying an iPhone 4S on release days, as much as I love Apple products, is neither a basic need for a human being, nor is it a special need for a pregnant woman. A person for whom it's difficult to wait in a long line outside a store should either wait until the crowds have died down, or preorder online, regardless of the reason for their difficulty. In short: I think affording pregnant women privileges to make important tasks in their lives easier is just being a decent person.

[quote name='Christopher Mason Taylor' timestamp='1331785050' post='542637']
Disabled? No. I think there should be some courtesies taken societally, but I don't think it's anything that needs to be enshrined in law, at least not in a first-world country. If we lived in a time or place where basic necessities were in short supply, that would be a different matter. As far as specific examples, it's situational. I'm in favor of pregnant parking at grocery and department stores, because those are places people have regular, necessary errands. Buying an iPhone 4S on release days, as much as I love Apple products, is neither a basic need for a human being, nor is it a special need for a pregnant woman. A person for whom it's difficult to wait in a long line outside a store should either wait until the crowds have died down, or preorder online, regardless of the reason for their difficulty. In short: I think affording pregnant women privileges to make important tasks in their lives easier is just being a decent person.
[/quote]

A can agree with that. When I walk by the handicapped parking, I just thank G*d that I am not in need of that spot.
Common courtesy is perfectly normal, it's when a particular group starts demanding special treatment for an assumed condition that it enters the realm of asshattery.

Truthfully, I think a lot of the angst over the parking issues come from the fact that we're an overly car-dependent society. If we're, for example, on a train, or a bus, if a handicapped person comes on, they can be treated with courtesy and deference on the spot. And when people with such needs are not around, no one is inconvenienced. But parking lots are fixed things. You can't move your car for a handicapped or pregnant person while you're in the store, so we have to reserve spaces. And doing so wastes space the vast majority of the time. So many of these problems would be solved with better, more widespread public transportation.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Christopher Mason Taylor' timestamp='1331868012' post='542710']
Truthfully, I think a lot of the angst over the parking issues come from the fact that we're an overly car-dependent society. If we're, for example, on a train, or a bus, if a handicapped person comes on, they can be treated with courtesy and deference on the spot. And when people with such needs are not around, no one is inconvenienced. But parking lots are fixed things. You can't move your car for a handicapped or pregnant person while you're in the store, so we have to reserve spaces. And doing so wastes space the vast majority of the time. So many of these problems would be solved with better, more widespread public transportation.
[/quote]

Obviously you have been a city dweller all your life.

Come to Northern MN, and show me some public transport. I think there is an old checker aerobus rusting away behind the VFW, but that is the height of bus service. I live on a lake that is around 160 miles in circumference, and a trip to a big box store is more than 60 miles. You can take your public transport there, but not even slightly practical in the non-citified areas of the country.

I always park in the back rows anyway, I hate fixing paint, and I don't want some knocker in a prius/pirus-like-speck to smack their door into my hmmwv.

pregnant women can take the damn bus, and solve the whole problem.

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1331916133' post='542729']
Obviously you have been a city dweller all your life.

[/quote]

I cannot claim that good fortune. Nearly my entire life has been spent in the suburbs, with only brief stints in large cities and small towns.

[quote]Come to Northern MN, and show me some public transport. I think there is an old checker aerobus rusting away behind the VFW, but that is the height of bus service. I live on a lake that is around 160 miles in circumference, and a trip to a big box store is more than 60 miles. You can take your public transport there, but not even slightly practical in the non-citified areas of the country.[/quote]

I didn't say public transport [i]was[/i] everywhere. I have lived the vast majority of my life with poor to no access to it. But I think high-speed rail should be available in far, far more places than it is currently. The "sprawl," I think, was a mistake. Small, self-sufficient towns and large, dense cities are far preferable, for a number of reasons; though over-reliance on cars is a big one.

Suburbs/cities, same thing... large collection of people living butt-cheek-to-butt-cheek. If you can't pee off your deck without getting arrested, it's a city.

Tell me again, what is the federal debt? This year's deficit? High speed rail, sure. Powered by unicorns, and built by leprechauns I would imagine.

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1332023592' post='542781']
Suburbs/cities, same thing... large collection of people living butt-cheek-to-butt-cheek. If you can't pee off your deck without getting arrested, it's a city.[/quote]

Well, every suburban home I've lived in easily passes this "test." And just, factually, suburbs are a fundamentally different situation to cities. Certainly, suburban population is more dense than rule. But it's still much less dense than urban. And it tends large numbers of people being extremely, detrimentally car-dependent.

[quote]Tell me again, what is the federal debt? This year's deficit? High speed rail, sure. Powered by unicorns, and built by leprechauns I would imagine.
[/quote]

I did not say that we needed to build a transcontinental network overnight. But it is something that would be vastly beneficial to our nation in the long run, for safety, speed, environmental, and yes, economic reasons.

[quote name='Christopher Mason Taylor' timestamp='1332057005' post='542793']
Suburbs/cities, same thing... large collection of people living butt-cheek-to-butt-cheek. If you can't pee off your deck without getting arrested, it's a city.[/quote]

Well, every suburban home I've lived in easily passes this "test." And just, factually, suburbs are a fundamentally different situation to cities. Certainly, suburban population is more dense than rule. But it's still much less dense than urban. And it tends large numbers of people being extremely, detrimentally car-dependent.

[quote]Tell me again, what is the federal debt? This year's deficit? High speed rail, sure. Powered by unicorns, and built by leprechauns I would imagine.
[/quote]

I did not say that we needed to build a transcontinental network overnight. But it is something that would be vastly beneficial to our nation in the long run, for safety, speed, environmental, and yes, economic reasons.
[/quote]

I think you can take that allot farther than just mass transit. Fast rail may be beneficial in moving people on some cases, but even more, the USA needs to rebuild it's heavy rail system. Trains are far better junk-movers than over the road/long distance trucks. One look at history shows us what the USA did with rail transport in years gone past. It is the only efficient, environmentally responsible way of moving products, yet we have a country that has let those same rails fall into uselessness across the nation. Frankly speaking, between fast transit, or cargo rail, I would think we would be far better off moving toward a partially electrically powered heavy rail system, and getting as many tractor-trailers off the roads as is even remotely possible. One would think between using brake energy regeneration, and grid-power through dense population areas, we could make moving goods efficient enough that the beneficial impact to our economy, and environment would be significant.

Apology to the OP for the blatant way we have hijacked her thread. :(

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1332190428' post='542875']
[quote name='Christopher Mason Taylor' timestamp='1332057005' post='542793']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think you can take that allot farther than just mass transit. Fast rail may be beneficial in moving people on some cases, but even more, the USA needs to rebuild it's heavy rail system. Trains are far better junk-movers than over the road/long distance trucks. One look at history shows us what the USA did with rail transport in years gone past. It is the only efficient, environmentally responsible way of moving products, yet we have a country that has let those same rails fall into uselessness across the nation. Frankly speaking, between fast transit, or cargo rail, [b]I would think we would be far better off moving toward a partially electrically powered heavy rail system, and getting as many tractor-trailers off the roads as is even remotely possible.[/b] One would think between using brake energy regeneration, and grid-power through dense population areas, we could make moving goods efficient enough that the beneficial impact to our economy, and environment would be significant.

Apology to the OP for the blatant way we have hijacked her thread. :(
[/quote]

Yes, so that truckers like my dad can be out their jobs... <_<

In my opinion, there's more money to be made (on a number of levels), and more jobs for hard-working Americans, the way it is...