Acclimation Issues With Tangiers By Sonthert

I'm sure my problems are with acclimation. I can't get my tangiers to smell anything like it should smell. I've packed it anyway thinking maybe it would smell different when it was heated, but no joy. I've gotten sick multiple times from smoking unacclimated tangiers. Although I was getting decent smoke with zero harshness, the taste was absolutely terrible.

I'm excited to get my shipment from Eric. I really want to figure this out.

I've got some tropical revenge and pineapple sitting out at home that I've been trying to acclimate for the past several months now. I tried throwing it in the freezer over night then retrying, but again, no joy. I think that stuff is about ready to go out with the trash. Eric, do you do exchanges? tongue.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glad to see this thread resurface.
I recently moved from wyoming where I had no problems with tangiers and it smoked like a dream.To upper michigan where tangiers won't seem to acclimate and smokes like an old shoe on a camp fire.My tangiers tobacco turned to mush and I ended up just throwing it out(it was like slime).The weather here is super unstable and the humidity changes drastickly daily.
just today went from about 85% this morning to around 40% this evening.I'm gonna try ordering some lucid soon and see if that will work here.But I'm gonna have to wait untill winter when all the humidity gets frozen to injoy OG.
And kashmir apple is one of my favorites.So whats the differance between OG tangiers and similar products like nakhla that make it not work in such enviromints.Nakhla smokes the same in wyoming as it does in michigan and tangiers smokes great in wyoming but is unsmokable in michigan.
Stupid weather can't smoke kashmir apple for 4 months rant.gif

I hear you. I still have about 500g of OG tangiers that I'm getting ready to toss. I've been trying to acclimate it for months with no luck. I've tried freezing it, no dice. I hate to throw it out, but I think it's beyond repair. If anyone thinks they know how to revive it, let me know. Otherwise, it'll be headed to where all bad shisha goes to die - the trash.

I'm going to buy some OG and Lucid although I've had no problem with lucid I don't even acclimate it and it smokes fine. So perhaps I'm packing OG incorrectly. So once I get it all here I'll message Eric and see what he has to say about methods to acclimate it.

Yeah, I've never had any issue with Lucid. I've never had to acclimate it either. I just treat it like I do all my other shisha, pack and all. I love Lucid but I'm still determined to figure out the OG. I guess I'm just stubborn like that.

Yeah, that works for some people. For these good and decent souls, no amount of acclimation makes it work right. They are the chaff of the hookah gods. The accursed, the spurned, the forlorn. They are sailing the River Styx and cannot make the right thing happen. The grim, the destitute, the bleak, the abject. With weal they have waited for Tangiers to acclimate, to no avail. Banishment. Unrequited hope.

Sorry...I digress. The samples will be sent out Thursday. I will see if I can make the Canada thing happen Cassie.

If you can't make it happen no worries, either way I plan to buy some in which I'll get in contact with you regarding acclimating it and perhaps my problems will be solved.

okay, so I got some tang from Arcane, horchata and tasty peach, they were both completely smokeable as soon as I opened them, but didnt open them until they both smelled - through the plastic like they were "supposed" to.
The horchata he purchased directly from your lounge, so no fancy label and the peach was just in a ziploc bag.
however theres also some pear that smells like poo and I've had it for like 2 weeks or so.
I keep opening my # 5 container for about 4 hours ending at about the time I would smoke it the next day, I give up on the pear, I'll probably just smoke it smelling like poo one day, assuming once I'm done forgetting about it it doesn't just get better by some stroke of miracle.

however I must say the peach- mad props to you homeydoggG-funkmoneymacdaddy-, and to think I was done with trying tangiers.....Horchata isn't bad, but I don't know if its 100% ready yet, it tastes more like an atomic fireball or some other such cinnamon candy, I don't taste any rice milk, but I'll let that slide.
I'm considering setting a bowls worth aside and adding water to it to see if I could make it more like AF, no acclimation necessary, I cant help but to notice more than ever that your tobacco is almost "crunchy". I once tried to make my own and thoroughly dried tobacco then added glycerine and molasses and it felt the same way yours does, however the rasberry tea i tried to use didn't come through much as a flavor.

ilikemyusername: adding water will dilute the flavor. It might even string the flavor out into an insoluble oily mess. It might be a complete disaster. Depends on the flavor. Horchata: definitely not. Pear: maybe.

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Aug 20 2009, 06:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ilikemyusername: adding water will dilute the flavor. It might even string the flavor out into an insoluble oily mess. It might be a complete disaster. Depends on the flavor. Horchata: definitely not. Pear: maybe.

thats why i was thinking 1 bowls worth and about 5 drops of water, if it gets yucky, I'll pack it in a phunnel and let the water evaporate.
however, if the water soaks into the tobacco just enough to rehydrate it just a hair... what have I got to lose?

QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ Aug 20 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
okay, so I got some tang from Arcane, horchata and tasty peach, they were both completely smokeable as soon as I opened them, but didnt open them until they both smelled - through the plastic like they were "supposed" to.
The horchata he purchased directly from your lounge, so no fancy label and the peach was just in a ziploc bag.
however theres also some pear that smells like poo and I've had it for like 2 weeks or so.
I keep opening my # 5 container for about 4 hours ending at about the time I would smoke it the next day, I give up on the pear, I'll probably just smoke it smelling like poo one day, assuming once I'm done forgetting about it it doesn't just get better by some stroke of miracle.

however I must say the peach- mad props to you homeydoggG-funkmoneymacdaddy-, and to think I was done with trying tangiers.....Horchata isn't bad, but I don't know if its 100% ready yet, it tastes more like an atomic fireball or some other such cinnamon candy, I don't taste any rice milk, but I'll let that slide.
I'm considering setting a bowls worth aside and adding water to it to see if I could make it more like AF, no acclimation necessary, I cant help but to notice more than ever that your tobacco is almost "crunchy". I once tried to make my own and thoroughly dried tobacco then added glycerine and molasses and it felt the same way yours does, however the rasberry tea i tried to use didn't come through much as a flavor.

really glad you're liking the tasty peach. i'm not a fan, but i may be ordering some when i get to San Diego. i'll mail you another bag, but OG this time...or do you want the Lucid again?

i've had 3 different types of horchata - mega cinnamon, cinnamon and milk, milk...to be honest, i prefer the mega cinnamon. also, i find that if you're running a bit hot...the cinnamon becomes very strong and very spicy. maybe back down the heat just a tad? i'm not talking about removing a coal, but instead...push them closer to the edge.

QUOTE (Arcane @ Aug 20 2009, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ Aug 20 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

really glad you're liking the tasty peach. i'm not a fan, but i may be ordering some when i get to San Diego. i'll mail you another bag, but OG this time...or do you want the Lucid again?

i've had 3 different types of horchata - mega cinnamon, cinnamon and milk, milk...to be honest, i prefer the mega cinnamon. also, i find that if you're running a bit hot...the cinnamon becomes very strong and very spicy. maybe back down the heat just a tad? i'm not talking about removing a coal, but instead...push them closer to the edge.

will try, thanks man! as far as more peach goes, I'm good with it for now, but another trade may be just around the corner....

Hey Eric, wasn't sure if I should PM you this. Figured I should just put it in this thread since its more-so about this situation. I got the shisha intoday and I am putting it away until further instruction.

Thank You

-Greg

A few of you PMed me. We'll try the 4/20 acclimation first. Pick a flavor. Make a note of which flavor it is. Open it around the time you normally would smoke. Open it, smell it. Put it in the tub you are going to store it in. Leave it open for four hours. Smell it again. Seal it up for 20 hours. Open it, smell it, leave it open for four hours, smell again. PM me with what you smell. If it smells smokeable at some point, give it a go and let me know how that goes...

Took out apple, dumped it into the tupperware, made sure to get all of the juices. Gave it a stir and smelt it, it smells like nothing but has a slight slight smell of anise to it if you really give it a big whiff, not bbq sauce or soy sauce smell in the past, just smells like nothing. It's already been sitting out for about an hour or actually close to 2 now. 2 more hours to go, then she will be sealed until tomorrow!

Before I give the go ahead with the tangiers that was sent to me, the glass bowls that I use are kind of deep and are not a wide bowl to get acclimation going everywhere. Should I look for something that is long and narrow. Or is bowl that is big that can hold like up to a kilo be fine for 250g? Like I said it is kind of deep.. Edited by newjacksm

well i thought we weren't supposed to acclimate in the bowl, you can, if you don't have issues. But i thought for this experiment we were supposed to keep it in the Tupperware because a higher % of people had success when acclimating the entire 250g in the tub it is being stored in.

ah when I meant glass bowl I meant a glass Tupperware bowl. I think what ever the answer is, just for this I am going to pick up a long non-deep tupperware at wal-mart or something later tonight and do the expierment at home. Edited by newjacksm

QUOTE (newjacksm @ Aug 30 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ah when I meant glass bowl I meant a glass Tupperware bowl. I think what ever the answer is, just for this I am going to pick up a long non-deep tupperware at wal-mart or something later tonight and do the expierment at home.

oh ok, i am using a normal square tupperware ... you think i should throw it in a rectangular one I have? Eric did say you want to move the tobacco from one tupperware to another the least amount of times. So i think i may just leave it in the square tupperware i am currently using.