What the Heck is this stuff??

Ok, I FINALLY got around to trying this stuff. The past couple of weeks have been hectic...

Anyway, I took a few drops of honey and put them in a small bowl. I added a spoonful of the dirt, and mixed it up, adding tiny amounts of honey until I got that "mealy" texture macho is talking about. I felt like I had the right mixture when the tobacco sort of sprung to life and became a little more voluminous and fluffy. I loaded up a bowl, slapped a 40mm 3 Kings on top, and was off to the races.

Started off very harsh, with just a tiny amount of smoke. After a couple of minutes, it got going a little better, though I never got anywhere near the smoke I get with normal ma'assell. Session lasted about half an hour.

This stuff tastes like a split between a really aromatic pipe tobacco and a cigar. That is the only way I can think to describe it. Really interesting, and very different from the usual stuff. Harshness disappeared after a bit, but it still had some bite at the back of the throat for the entire smoke.

Buzz was silly. It only really felt strong during the first few minutes or so, but during that time my entire body started to tingle... I don't want to say that I got dizzy, more like a little out of sorts. I felt kinda wobbly.

I'm going to experiment with it some more when I get a chance. Maybe add a little more honey to thicken it up a bit (although it seems like it needs to be on the dry side to smoke the way it should). I'll post if I get some significantly different results.

All in all, I don't think this is something that I would smoke day to day. Maybe bust it out when I'm in the mood for something different, or if I feel like stumbling around my living room for a few minutes. I will say it was great to experience something so different in the hookah experience, and if I can improve the smoke at all, I can see this maybe growing on me.

Thanks mushrat for your generosity and for letting me be one of your guinea pigs on this one.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys, buy back season at work, been a bit hectic...

Thanks SMiley for the detailed report. I look foreward to getting the stuff you mixed. If you sent the video, I'll post it here.

as for the rest of you test subject...

QUOTE (mushrat @ Dec 17 2006, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry guys, buy back season at work, been a bit hectic...

Thanks SMiley for the detailed report. I look foreward to getting the stuff you mixed. If you sent the video, I'll post it here.

as for the rest of you test subject...

ok..i sent out a lot of this stuff...where are you brave souls?

• 1 month later...
Hooooooooooooooooooly god biggrin.gif woo Killer buzz... had to hang it up after a few hits. Gonna smoke it again with my dad, there's no way I can do this alone O_O

My dad heads over to India a few times a year and he get pretty in depth in the culture and is constantly asking our family if there is anything we want while he is there. I have a strong sense that next time he heads over there I'm going to have to have him get me some of that 'old school' hookah tabacco tongue.gif And now that I you test subjects have figured out some of the better ways to get it going I won't be at a complete loss, thanks for the info!

-Joe

(on a side note... did that video ever get posted?)

• 1 month later...
I figured I'd resurrect an old thread and show a pic of the "dirt" being smoked the authentic way in India. Check out the size of the bowl. This is a frame grab of some footage I shot last year for a documentary about snake charmers.

[attachment=190:Indian_Hookah2.jpg]

In the rural villages, they take cow dung and dry it to use as fuel for heat, cooking, and yes, for hookah smoking. Not camel, though, at least not in the areas I was in.

[attachment=191:Dung_Pile2.jpg]

I think I'll stick with Al Fakher...

Let's just say it wasn't the smoothest of smokes.

As for visual oddities, none. Later that day we had lunch cooked over a dung fire. A little offputting at first, but I have to say it didn't taste shitty at all...

LOL Yay, tombak! I'm glad I got to try it. Had me under the table in about 5 hits XD And I think I'll stick to my 3K. However, the farmers around here should be glad of this news...

• 6 months later...
QUOTE (mushrat @ Nov 14 2006, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A guy I know went to India. So I asked him to bring me back some hookah tobacco. What he brought was 4 heavy bags of THIS stuff. He said they mix it with honey and smoke it in hookahs.

Anyone have ANY idea about this?

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This is the best thread ever. It seems like this is even better than Zaghloul for getting an ass kicking. That's what I'm looking for. Trouble is, there is no telling of what is in this stuff. How do we know that it doesn't have substances illegal in the US or that they out right put cow manure into? Bottom line is - it does give you a powerful buzz so I look into the details. I'm sure an Indian store in the US (maybe a larger one I'll call up near Philly or Jersey if I must) carries stuff like this. Gotta know what's in it though - that's too important.

This stuff is definitly NOT zagoul. I have that in the bar too...scary stuff. I serve it tombac style, coals right on the robacco in a BIG tangiers standard bowl. I have 3 or 4 regulars who can smoke it, scary buggers. This Indian stuff was soemthing else completely. Still have a few bowls left, gave most of it away to forum members back when I got it.

im not going to take the time to read through 8 pages so if anyone has said this sorry, but that looks like the stuff they smoke in india that is supposed to be mixed into a paste with honey and smoked, i dont know what kind of bowl to use or how to smoke it but i have heard people talking about that before. but yeah thats my 2 cents Edited by blacklabelqlewis

Damn, looks like i will go to that cousins wedding in India in january hahaha i'll try to snag some of this, along with alot of Indian Hookah Tobacco - (leaves kind, i know they have it as well).

But alas... only october...... oh well now i got something to look forward too! Off to smoke a bowl before a job interview!