Cigars

nuschultz

QUOTE (Hammerhead @ May 8 2007, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just remember it is against the law to own or possess Cuban cigars. This may sound like an obvious statement but it is what it is. The laws are written and if enforced can lead to jail time and heavy fines. I have never seen nor heard of that happening but things are changing everyday. I heared (and it was close to home) that a company in HK was being investigated and US Customs was asking people for credit card records dating back five years due to these individuals being on the books with this company. All I am saying is look at this way; you don't know me from Adam.

it says groceries on your credit card. and the company sells other stuff besides cubans.. humidors and other supplies. the only reason they give you a court date is for you to try to be able to get your box.. but then u will get fined. If you dont go and jus send the company the letter from the courthouse they will send another one

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get a lot of cigars that have 20 year aged wrappers but the binder and filler are nothing special. Some are really good. I just recently smoked a Partagas 160 and it was very good. It was almost worth the $17 price tag. At 4.5 x 45 it was a bit short for the $$$.

I have never know anyone to actually get pursued but know a lot of people who have gotten "the letter". Most round file them some frame them and put them above the bar.
I mean think about it who buys the most Cuban cigars? Doctors, lawyers, politicians so how much are they really going to push it. Especially with the "war on drugs" on. I am not sure why the embargo even continues but that is a whole other topic of conversation.

To keep this on topic; Ever try an Ashton VSG or a Feunte Opus X? IMHO they are as good as ISOM's (that little island).

Both are very good cigars. Last night I had a la flor mysterio which wasn't worth the 15 dollar price tag IMHO. It tastes good and all but the draw was mediocre and it was just to light for me. Then I smoked a cao cameroon (aged about two years) and i was very pleased with the cigar. It had an amzing draw, stayed consistent throughout the entire cigar, good taste, full body

Just because a cigar comes from Cuba, doesn't mean it's better than anything out of the Dominican Republic, Honduras, or any other geographical location. That being said, I couldn't even begin to compare two such overpriced and over hyped cigars as the VSG and Opus X to a reasonably priced Cuban (or any legal cigar, for that matter).

It's legal to possess Cuban cigars if you bring them back from Cuba yourself. There are guidelines to follow though, like how much you can spend on them.

Opus X and Ashton VSG's are two of my all time favorite cigars. Overpriced and over hyped is an understatement. I still like them along with other overpriced and over hyped cigars such as PAMs, Zinos, La Aurora Preferidos, CAO Sopranos. My feeling is smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Life is too short for a crappy cigar. For my palete the Opus DC is the only cigar that can stand up to my favorite Habana the Trini Reyes.

QUOTE (worr lord @ May 8 2007, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's legal to possess Cuban cigars if you bring them back from Cuba yourself. There are guidelines to follow though, like how much you can spend on them.

You can bring back from Cuba $100 of merchandise. That would be the equivalent of about 100 cigars tops if you could find them that cheap.

To throw in my two cents, I'm really not a huge cigar fan. But, I do enjoy one on occasion and I found a great starting point was the Acid brand of cigars. I'm guessing they're something like the dollar cheeseburger of the cigar world. Cheap, shitty, and yummy to an unrefined (or simply decadently indulgent) palate.

You can bring back from Cuba $100 of merchandise. That would be the equivalent of about 100 cigars tops if you could find them that cheap.

I want to see evidence from the US customs website or any US Gov website stating you can bring back products from Cuba into the US. It is illegal to posess anything from Cuba other that publications and to be allowed those you have to have a certain visa. But like I said I woud like to see your evidence stating that you are allowed to bring back cigars. I have been on a licensed trip to Cuba, went to Gitmo, then went to havanna when I was in college, and I looked deep into this myth. The only places that say you can buy them and bring them back if you get them in cuba are not government sites. I think at one time the 1 box rule was in effect, but those days are far gone, which is a shame I wish cuban cigars coudl be imported, but as we all know demand for them outweighs the supply from cuba

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1097.html
"What Can Be Brought Back
If U.S. travelers return from Cuba with Cuban origin goods, such goods, with the exception of informational materials, may be seized at Customs’ discretion. [Section 515.204 of the Regulations.] Cuban cigars and rum are routinely confiscated at U.S. ports of entry. The fact that Cuban cigars and rum are purchased in a "duty free" shop at the Havana Airport does not exempt them from seizure by US customs. There are no limits on the import or export of informational materials [Section 515.206 of the Regulations]. Such materials, for example books, films, tapes and CDs, are statutorily exempt from regulation under the embargo and may be transported freely. However, blank tapes and CDs are not considered informational materials and may be seized. "

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing...uban_cigars.xml
"Prohibitions on Cuban Cigars
The revival of interest in cigars and cigar smoking underscores the need to remind the public of the prohibitions that have been in place for many years with respect to cigars of Cuban origin. The number of attempted importations of Cuban cigars into the United States is rising and because dealing in such cigars may lead to Treasury enforcement actions, the public should be aware of — and make every effort to observe — the prohibitions which are in effect.

There is a total ban on the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products. This prohibition extends to such products acquired in Cuba, irrespective of whether a traveler is licensed by Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC) to engage in Cuba travel-related transactions, and to such products acquired in third countries by any U.S. Traveler, including purchases at duty-free shops. Contrary to what many people may believe, it is illegal for travelers to bring into the United States Cuban cigars acquired in third countries, such as Canada, United Kingdom, or Mexico.

Importation of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products is prohibited whether the goods are purchased by the importer or given to the importer as a gift. Similarly, the import ban extends to Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products offered for sale over the Internet or through a catalog.

It is also illegal for U.S. persons to buy, sell, trade, or otherwise engage in transactions involving illegally-imported Cuban cigars. The penalties for doing so include, in addition to confiscation of the cigars, civil fines of up to $55,000 per violation and in appropriate cases, criminal prosecution which may result in higher fines and/or imprisonment.

These prohibitions are applicable to all goods of Cuban origin and are an important element of the comprehensive program of economic sanctions against the Cuban Government which have been in place since 1963. Those sanctions have had the support of the last seven Administrations."

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation..._restricted.xml
"Generally, you may not bring in any goods from the following (if not followed by an asterisk or where specified that the embargo only applies to diamonds): Cuba, Iran*, Iraq*, Serbia and Montenegro*, North Korea*, Burma (Myanmar), Angola, Liberia and Sierra Leone (diamonds only) and Sudan. The Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) of the U.S. Department of Treasury enforces this ban." Edited by oggie505#2

QUOTE (ASUSEAN1 @ May 9 2007, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Hammerhead @ May 9 2007, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
La Aurora Preferidos

the preferidos are a great cigar. but you really like the cao sopranos? i think that is one of CAO's worst cigar.

I do like them but I do not keep them on hand. They are good but for the money I would rather have a Brazilia or Italia at about half the price. Now those I keep on hand along with the CX2 that I believe you mentioned earlier.

QUOTE (oggie505#2 @ May 9 2007, 05:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want to see evidence from the US customs website or any US Gov website stating you can bring back products from Cuba into the US. It is illegal to posess anything from Cuba other that publications and to be allowed those you have to have a certain visa. But like I said I woud like to see your evidence stating that you are allowed to bring back cigars. I have been on a licensed trip to Cuba, went to Gitmo, then went to havanna when I was in college, and I looked deep into this myth. The only places that say you can buy them and bring them back if you get them in cuba are not government sites. I think at one time the 1 box rule was in effect, but those days are far gone, which is a shame I wish cuban cigars coudl be imported, but as we all know demand for them outweighs the supply from cuba

I don't have Governmental links or quotes, only articles I've read over the years.

"Only persons returning directly from Cuba after a licensed visit there are permitted to bring Cuban cigars into the United States, provided the domestic value of such cigars does not exceed 100 U.S. dollars and the cigars are for the person's personal use and not for resale. Inasmuch as all other importations of Cuban cigars are illegal, you must assume that all offers to buy or sell such cigars in the United States involve cigars that are imported illegally. Contrary to what many people believe, it is illegal for travelers to bring into the United States Cuban cigars acquired in third countries (such as Canada, England, or Mexico)."

http://cuban-leaf.com/ Edited by worr lord

As I expected its not a gov site. I believed what those sites said too when I was getting ready to goto cuba, but then looked at US Customs, and asked the official that was doing our paperwork. I just wish the ban was lifted, Cuba is not even close to a threat anymore

QUOTE (worr lord @ May 8 2007, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My feeling is don't pay $13 for a cigar when you can find one that's incredibly similar for $6...

That is your opinion based on your personal tastes. I have not found (size for size or vitola for vitola) cigars that are even close in taste. Believe me if I had found a $6 cigar that I liked as much as the more expensive cigars I would buy them. On that note there are a lot of smaller cigars I like that are in the $6 price range but they are lacking when I am looking for a longer smoke.

QUOTE (oggie505#2 @ May 9 2007, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I expected its not a gov site. I believed what those sites said too when I was getting ready to goto cuba, but then looked at US Customs, and asked the official that was doing our paperwork. I just wish the ban was lifted, Cuba is not even close to a threat anymore

Ah. I've never been to Cuba, so I shouldn't be talking.

QUOTE (Hammerhead @ May 9 2007, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is your opinion based on your personal tastes. I have not found (size for size or vitola for vitola) cigars that are even close in taste. Believe me if I had found a $6 cigar that I liked as much as the more expensive cigars I would buy them. On that note there are a lot of smaller cigars I like that are in the $6 price range but they are lacking when I am looking for a longer smoke.

Just for fun, try smoking an Ashton VSG and a Sosa Exclusive Series side by side.

QUOTE (ASUSEAN1 @ May 12 2007, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (worr lord @ May 11 2007, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
/Awkward pause.

Anyone up for a box pass?

possibly. are you planning on starting one? Let me know..

Fellas I have cigar bombs flying on a seperate site. On a seperate note have you ever done a shisha box pass? That would be nice for this hookah newbie!

I am not to saying I wouldn't be up for a cigar box pass though.

I have also offered to trade cigars for shisha if anyone is interested in that?

Sean I have been wanting to try the Mysterio. I just like the look of the maduro cap and foot. If nothing else I am getting a few for the conversation factor.

a shisha pass would be a great idea. we would have to make sure that the tobacco going into the box though is equal or greater value and maybe a restiction to a certain brands. Personally I wouldnt want nakhla in the box but maybe that is just me..

I don't smoke hookah anymore, I'm more interested in a $3-$5 limit cigar pass involving other people, that way everyone gets to try new budget-friendly cigars. Obviously I'd have to start one on a regular cigar forum, but it'd be cool for people here to participate too.

Guest Abide
well i ordered me some cigars for my b-day.

One of the ghurka royal salutes and a few different heavenlys. should be here tomorrow

As some of you might know, I have a few Cigar shops under my belt. I am more than willing to offer my cigars to anyone interested. I know there are quite a few, espeecially on this topic, that enjoy cigars. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, Id be glad to hear you out. I have several brands to choose from from generic to premium.

Here is a list of some of my favorites (Opinions, Thoughts?):
Partagas: Series S: Esplendido
Opus X: Fuente Fuente
Cuesta Rey: Centro Fino Sun Grown: Pyramid No. 4
Punch: Rare Corojo: El Doble
Por Larranaga: Cuban Grade: Double Corona
Perdomo: Lot 23: Belicoso
Perdomo: Reserve: "E": Cameroon & Champagne
Romeo y Julieta: Lot 96, Series B: 10th Anniversery Maduro
Montecristo: Habana 2000: Xanadu
Macanudo: Crystal Cafe
Cohiba: Crystal Corona
Diamond Corwn: Robusto No. 4

For you Acid Lovers, this is what I have:
Acid Blondie (Remi)
Acid Cold Fusion Tea (Holistics)
Acid Kuba Kuba (Remi)
Acid KMV (Acid)
Acid 1400 CC (Remi)
Acid Nasty (Nasty)

Tins:
Blue Connecticut
Red Cameroon
Gold Summatra
Maduro Mora

Hope to hear from all fo you soon!

I smoked a CAO petite the other day (little tiny cigarette sized cigar). One of the girls on my floor had them, so I figured why not.

Didn't taste too great...a little harsh, probably been sitting for a long time.

QUOTE (web250 @ May 16 2007, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I smoked a CAO petite the other day (little tiny cigarette sized cigar). One of the girls on my floor had them, so I figured why not.

Didn't taste too great...a little harsh, probably been sitting for a long time.

I have a tin of these and for a small cigar they pack a big cigar punch.