Cigars

nuschultz

Most cubans bought are fakes. Yea they are probably from cuba, but not the ones that are actually made by the cuban brand makers. If you read reports of people going to cuba, there are more fakes there than anywhere else. Unless you actually goto a reputable seller most cubans are fake. I goto davidoff in London for mine, and that is a well known shop. Granted You can find cubans in mexico and other cheap places, you just have to know what you are looking for, just google fake cubans and you will find what to look for. Easyiest thing is making sure the band is the right color and place perfectly. That is the easiest to tell because most cigar makers will not let ones who bands are wrong go through to the packageing

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some counterfeits are damn good ones, it takes an experienced eye to tell a fake, and some counterfeiters use authentic bands. In places like the Bahamas, Mexico, cruises, or other commonly vacationed spots, I can tell you with nearly 100% certainty you WILL be getting fakes unless you go to a LCDH location (La Casa del Habano), or as Oggie mentioned, a very reputable store.

• 1 month later...
Alright, for the past couple months I have been getting into cigars, recently smoking cigars more than hookah.. but anyways here are a few thoughts..

Macanudos are for people that no nothing about cigars. There is a reason you can find them in gas stations,.. becuase the name sells. You can find many cigars that are cheaper and taste better than a macanudo plus a macundo is a light-bodied cigar. I think cohiba's for the most part are also a waste of money for what they are.. I am more interested into a medium to full bodied cigar.

some of my favorite cigars include.. joya de nicaragua, la gloria cubana, punch rare corojo, rocky patel edge ( the new ones), rocky patel vintage, partagas, padron 1926 anniversary, montecristo white labels, la flor dominicana double ligero (esp. the chizel tip with a punch on the top), la aurora preferido, and many others

Since I bought my hookah, I haven't had a cigar. I still have 10-15 hand made, long filler cigars left (I won't smoke anything that's not at least handmade, long filler), but they're no longer as attractive to me.

While I do enjoy smoking a fine cigar, I find the hookah smoke equally enjoyable, more social, and I don't smell like an ashtray when I go back inside (I would never smoke a cigar in my house--stale cigar smoke smells horrible). I usually even smoke hookah outside, but will occasionally smoke inside. I never feel like I stink after a nice long hookah session and never feel like the house stinks, even if I've been smoking indoors.

If I'm going to have a cigar, my favorites are montecristos. I've loved every montecristo I've tried. Don't care for macanudos or most mild bodied cigars--I feel like I'm smoking hot air. I want to taste what I smoke so I generally like a medium-full bodied cigar.

QUOTE (ASUSEAN1 @ May 7 2007, 01:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alright, for the past couple months I have been getting into cigars, recently smoking cigars more than hookah.. but anyways here are a few thoughts..

Macanudos are for people that no nothing about cigars. There is a reason you can find them in gas stations,.. becuase the name sells. You can find many cigars that are cheaper and taste better than a macanudo plus a macundo is a light-bodied cigar. I think cohiba's for the most part are also a waste of money for what they are.. I am more interested into a medium to full bodied cigar.

some of my favorite cigars include.. joya de nicaragua, la gloria cubana, punch rare corojo, rocky patel edge ( the new ones), rocky patel vintage, partagas, padron 1926 anniversary, montecristo white labels, la flor dominicana double ligero (esp. the chizel tip with a punch on the top), la aurora preferido, and many others

I'll definitely argue with you on this one. Macanudo Maduros are great, and the "regular" Macanudo line is extremely complex in flavor. The fact that a cigar is light bodied has nothing to do with how good it is as a cigar, it's just preference. Smoking fuller bodied cigars doesn't make you any more experienced than a person who sticks to light bodied smokes, and just because a cigar is full bodied doesn't mean it's full flavored.

Just figured I'd take a picture of my cooler.. Never mind the rubber bands on the lid, I was testing the seal to see if I could squeeze the ribbon cable to my Oasis in there.

If you only smoke the normal la gloria cubana, you should try to find some series R ones, they are my fav smokes. Also try out a Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur 1066, these are excellent smokes

Agreed, Oggie, I love the Serie R. Their maduro and natural are both fantastic. Also, Bloodsport is one of my favorite movies..

A friend sent me a few Habanos for my birthday, along with a Griffin's I really like.

2 PDS4s
2 Montecristo Tubos
1 Montecristo No. 1
1 The Griffin's No. 300 Tubo Edited by worr lord

Agreed, Oggie, I love the Serie R. Their maduro and natural are both fantastic. Also, Bloodsport is one of my favorite movies..

A friend sent me a few Habanos for my birthday, along with a Griffin's I really like.

Take a pic of that griffin out of the tube if u can, never seen one before. If you wanna try a good cigar try a Davidoff Zino Platinum, excellent smoke, just expensive as sh**

Hells yea Bloodsport and Kickboxer FTW!!!

Bloodsport II, if I am drunk and/or bored

Bloodsport III if I am really drunk

i picked up a pinar P3000 el FEROZ "the Ferocious One" cuban cigar while in vegas over 50 years old. i stick to la gloria for most my cigars i hope this cuban i just picked up will treat me right

QUOTE (worr lord @ May 7 2007, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2 PDS4s
2 Montecristo Tubos
1 Montecristo No. 1
1 The Griffin's No. 300 Tubo

One of the most recent cigars I've had was a Montecristo No. 1. If I ever buy cigars again, I'll be sure to pick up a few more of those!

Note: I didn't have the Havana version, but it was still an excellent smoke.

QUOTE (worr lord @ May 7 2007, 02:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

coolidor?

worr lord..or is it lord of worr haha

i understand that a light-bodied cigar has nothing to do with it's taste, i just prefer to have a mudum to full-body cigar. This summer I think that I am going to drop a paycheck on a nice humi and a fine collection of cigars that I can let age Edited by ASUSEAN1

QUOTE (oggie505#2)
Take a pic of that griffin out of the tube if u can, never seen one before. If you wanna try a good cigar try a Davidoff Zino Platinum, excellent smoke, just expensive as sh**

Hells yea Bloodsport and Kickboxer FTW!!!

Bloodsport II, if I am drunk and/or bored

Bloodsport III if I am really drunk

I wasn't too impressed with the Davidoffs I've had, value wise. Not to say they weren't fantastic smokes with flawless construction, I have a hard time paying that much for a single.

Maduro version (torpedo) on the left. Sorry the No. 300 appears spotted, it's just poor lighting.

QUOTE (ASUSEAN1 @ May 7 2007, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
coolidor?

worr lord..or is it lord of worr haha

i understand that a light-bodied cigar has nothing to do with it's taste, i just prefer to have a mudum to full-body cigar. This summer I think that I am going to drop a paycheck on a nice humi and a fine collection of cigars that I can let age

Yep. Coolers seal better than any humidor, are cheap as hell (my 100qt cost $40 at Walmart), and go with any furnished decor.... Well, maybe not the last one, but they're great if you'd rather put your money into cigars smile.gif.

As for the light bodied thing, when you said "You can find many cigars that are cheaper and taste better than a macanudo plus a macundo is a light-bodied cigar." I took that to mean you thought they were cheap because they were on the lighter side. My fault, <3.

Bolt - I've never had a Cuban Montecristo before, but I enjoy the Dominican line from time to time as well smile.gif.

nice looking coolidor, I think that is my next project. Is that the oasis fan, I read somewhere where a guy use an oust airfreshner fan for his coolidor, it runs for 5 min then shuts off for 15 min. Real cheap too. How do you find hte coolidor working pretty good at holding temp and humidy?

Holds humidity perfectly, no issues at all. I keep it in my room right now, but when the temperature gets above 72*F for most of the day, I move it to the basement, which never goes above 68*F or so.

The "Doc" at www.stogiefresh.com put an Oust fan in his humidor and says it works good. My 100qt cooler isn't nearly big enough to need a fan like that, the Oasis XL Plus is kicking ass and taking names tongue.gif.

QUOTE (joetuo @ May 8 2007, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there a "How to" on the coolidor? I think it would be fun to make and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Here's one a friend on another forum made. As long as you're using wood boxes, the cedar lining isn't necessary. If you aren't using wood boxes, and can't find Spanish Cedar, you can use Mahogany. Mahogany is essentially the same as Spanish Cedar, it just lacks the aromatic qualities.
http://cigar-review.com/index2.php?option=...opic&t=3042

Everyone here should check that forum out, plenty of knowledgeable and friendly BOTLs there smile.gif. My name on there is "Dayve".

QUOTE (oggie505#2 @ May 8 2007, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nice looking coolidor, I think that is my next project. Is that the oasis fan, I read somewhere where a guy use an oust airfreshner fan for his coolidor, it runs for 5 min then shuts off for 15 min. Real cheap too. How do you find hte coolidor working pretty good at holding temp and humidy?

click here

step by step instructions on the coolidor

Alright check this out, my friend/roomate works on land rovers and he met some guy who needed work on the land rover he just bought. So he goes over to this guys house who just retired from the U.S. airforce, keep in mind and has live in England for a good chunk of his life and has a good chunk of money. This guy has a new porche gt3 track edition sitting in his garage. My roomate asks where he got that car and he is like my dad gave it to me. Well anyways, they went inside to look at pictures of his dads garage (which included a enzo, few other ferraris, few lambos, phantom, and a couple others) and my roomate sees a humidor carved out of marble and asks if you are into cigars. Well to make this long story short, my friend got paid an extra 360 dollars for his work and smoked 2 montecristo #2 cubans (aged 22 years) and he also gave him a romeo and julieta cuban (aged 12 years) for the ride home

Cigars aged that long are often times "past their prime". Not to say they weren't good, or were past their prime, but it's common for Cuban cigars to hit their peak at 10 years, and gradually go down hill after that.

I have been a cigar collector for a few years. The hookah thing I just started for fun. Since we are talking cigars here are my 2 cents.

Most Cubans peak at 5 years (read Min Ron Nee's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Post Revolution Havana Cigars if you can find a copy) but like a fine wine if kept boxed and just right 22 years would be a special treat. They sometimes become mild with time. I would love to try a Monte II aged that long though. I have heard of cigars that old being excellent. My oldest cigars is a Punch Churchill Habana from 1996. Most my collection is anywhere from 2-5 years old.

For cigar websites I recommend Eherf since they are the nicest bunch on the web. A lot of other sites are not real big on newbies. You have the same issues you have here with new posters with the redundant questions; cello on or off, what is the best humidity, where do you buy cubans (never ask this question). BTW Spanish Cedar is in the same family as mahogany.

i know few websites where you can order real cubans and if customs find the box you just dont go to the court date and send the letter back to the company that you ordered it from and they send you a new box free of charge. i plan on ordering a couple boxes of the finest cigars I can get a hold of and let them age

QUOTE (ASUSEAN1 @ May 8 2007, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i know few websites where you can order real cubans and if customs find the box you just dont go to the court date and send the letter back to the company that you ordered it from and they send you a new box free of charge. i plan on ordering a couple boxes of the finest cigars I can get a hold of and let them age

The wost I've seen anyone get is a letter from the Treasury asking them not to do it again.

QUOTE (Hammerhead @ May 8 2007, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been a cigar collector for a few years. The hookah thing I just started for fun. Since we are talking cigars here are my 2 cents.

Most Cubans peak at 5 years (read Min Ron Nee's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Post Revolution Havana Cigars if you can find a copy) but like a fine wine if kept boxed and just right 22 years would be a special treat. They sometimes become mild with time. I would love to try a Monte II aged that long though. I have heard of cigars that old being excellent. My oldest cigars is a Punch Churchill Habana from 1996. Most my collection is anywhere from 2-5 years old.

I've never had a good experience with a cigar kept over 15 years, even in optimal conditions. I have yet to try a pre-embargo Cuban, but I've heard from reputable people that they don't come close to living up to the hype.

The oldest cigars I have are a box of those 1994 Bolivar Panetelitas that were popular over the last year, I paid $34 for the box. I can't really use these as an example, because they aren't Habanos, but they're just about bland after all that time. Edited by worr lord

Just remember it is against the law to own or possess Cuban cigars. This may sound like an obvious statement but it is what it is. The laws are written and if enforced can lead to jail time and heavy fines. I have never seen nor heard of that happening but things are changing everyday. I heared (and it was close to home) that a company in HK was being investigated and US Customs was asking people for credit card records dating back five years due to these individuals being on the books with this company. All I am saying is look at this way; you don't know me from Adam.

yeah as long as you dont go to court to try to get your box then you wont be charged with anything, if anything someone there is just going to smoke you and since it is a reputable website they wil send you a new box. A friend of mine has been doing it for 10 years, ordering a new box every month and has only been caught twice.. not bad?