Cigars

nuschultz

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to ressurect the thread, but a question:

Me and 4 buddies will be moving into a new house in June on campus, the first big off-campus, non-dorm place. So to celebrate I've been thinking of buying some cigars (there's 5 of us total) as a celebratory kind of thing. Only me, and one of the guys smoke (hookah), and the others only occasionally hookah with us.

If I wanted to buy cigars for us, I'd want to start with something not too expensive, not going to knock us all on our asses from niccotine, and something somewhat "classy".

Suggestions?

Just to name a few, and please ask if you have any questions...

**Name, (size), - notes**
Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real (Belicoso)
Romeo y Julieta Clemenceaus en Tubo
Arturo Fuente (Cuban Corona) - Make sure it's the "natural" and not "maduro". Either a sticker will say so, or it'll be the one with a light wrapper leaf
Montecristo White (Hampton Court, comes in a tube)
Oliva O Classic (Ole)
Partagas (Robusto) - Make sure it's the "natural" and not "maduro". Either a sticker will say so, or it'll be the one with a light wrapper leaf

All are fantastic cigars that most shops carry. If you're looking to store them for a while outside of a humidor, ones in cellophane will last a week or two if kept in a tightly sealed plastic bag in a cool, dark place. Tubed cigars will do the same, and transport better. Cigars in crystal tubes with the end dipped in wax will last indefinitely.

as for cigars....DO NOT inhale unless you enjoy a gut-wretching cough! Living here in Northern Wis, I have been known to head up to Canada and get a box or 2 of REAL Cubans from time to time. Be Careful, there are alot of fake Cubans out there. Otherwise, when going into a smoke shop, most anything from the Dominican Republic is good. When Castro took over Cuba, alot of the growers fled to the Domincan and took some of their seeds with them...

As for gas station smokes....I am a Backwoods fan for many years now...and Al Capones are good in a pinch.

Just remember, whatever smokes you buy, make damn sure they are moist. There is nothing worse then smoking a dried up turd!

Just my 2 cents...

Harry

The reason you don't want to inhale is because cigars, especially those of a "stronger" variety, contain much more nicotine then cigarettes do. When you inhale that much, your body isn't used to it, and you can literally overdose on Nicotine and end up with Flu-like symptoms. There's nothing wrong with cigars from other parts of the world (Nicaragua, Mexico, Africa, Brazil, etc.), and I doubt most of the people here (no offense) could tell the difference between a Padilla Miami 8/11 (Nic. Puro) and a Cuban Trinidad.

Gas station cigars typically use short filler tobacco, also known as shake or scrap; it's basically crappy tobacco ground up and stuffed into a fake leaf. I say "typically" because I haven't, and don't intend to, try every brand of gas station type cigars tongue.gif

And yeah, as previously mentioned in the thread, if you're buying any more than a few cigars, you should at least make a tupperdor to keep them moist. Buying one or two boxes of cigars is a pretty weak idea without a decent humidor (or similar), unless you plan on smoking ~50 cigars in less than a week. Edited by worr lord

I just smoked a cigar I have aged for a few months, and noticed it was blooming so i decided to smoke it. La Gloria Cubana Series R Special handpicked 2006, it smoked soo good, and I paired it up with a nice glenfidich solera reserve 15 yr and the 2 were a perfect combo

Guest Abide
Oggie, where did you get that LGC? a friend of mine is always looking for a box of those but they seem to sell out whenever places get them before the backorder list people even know.

I'm a huge Rocky Patel fan myself, and i just ordered my first humidor this week and two boxes of Rocky Patels the Java by drew estate and some of the super fuerte.

The java is one of my favs. I also love the 1990 stuff

I like Perdomo. Not too many retailers carry it however. The Lot 23 series and the Reserve Series are excellent.

Rocky Patel is great, La Flor Dominicana Ligerio series is really good, some select Toranos are really good, and of course Partagas. I got an awesome shop near me that sells basically everything I mentioned as well as everything in between. I've never tried La Gloria Cubana Serie 'R'...maybe Ill pick one up some day.

The LGC Serie "R"s are good and pack a punch, I like the No. 4's (Robusto). LFD Double Ligero Chisels are one of my favorite cigars, I just bought a box of them a few months ago. The only Torano I love are the Virtuosos, I haven't tried many from Torano though. Annnnnnd I just finished a Perdomo Estate Seleccion Belicoso after lunch, great sticks smile.gif. I've got a few of the La Tradicions sitting in one of my humidors waiting to be smoked.
You've got great taste my friend (in my opinion, anyway).

Just stopped by the shop before my smoke and picked up these little gems

i heard those CAO are pretty nice cigars. The humidor it comes with is amazing. Any of you guys want to start a group buy for some habanas? ill talk to eric since has has a hookup and we can buy a few boxes and split up the cigars

I probably won't be going in on any, sorry. I have a friend in Germany who occasionally bombs with with Habanos. However, if your friends source does Montecristo Edmundos and you'd like to split, let me know.

How many Edmundos would you want? They're $9/stick if you want less than 15 and $7.20/stick if you want more than 15. I would love to split but would rather do Monte #2s or Mag 46s. You should PM me.

TYLER

Guest Abide
Well i got all my goodies in today, guess i shoulda ordered a 75-100 count cause this 50 is stocked and then some, with no room for churchills or any of the longer sizes, but thats ok cause i prefer robustos and 60s. Ive got a couple boveda packs getting it started and the digital hygrometer is calibrating and the smell of those tasty Javas has filled up my room from the box.

Edited by Abide

Nice! Yeah, I started out with like a 20-count, thinking I'd never fill it. Got a 150-count, filled that, now I've got it, a plastic ammo can (moochgars), and two 52-quart coolers all stuffed to the brim. The wisest thing you can ever do is buy like 4-5 times more humi space than you ever think you'll need!

TYLER

I decided ti add a pick of the cigars I got onhand, I am keeping them in bags and have the humidy packs in them, and it stores rather well, i am just waiting on the wife to allow me to get a new humidor..lol... my old one i have not found in the move yet.

This one is my recent oder from the states
[attachment=179:Picture_001.jpg]

And here is my stash of cubans
[attachment=180:Picture_002.jpg]

I just bought some cigar punches, a digital hygrometer..I am tired of my old one, and got the Puck. I usually use drymst tubes, but the puck seems to be a bit better. I am holding off my humidor until i come back to the states in May to bring my cats over

QUOTE (rovelz @ Mar 15 2007, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got my new humidor seasoning right now, with only a handful of sticks waiting to fill it. Good thing my b-day is coming up so I can fill this sucker.

R u guys saying Cohiba's are fake cigars...

I bought a Cohiba in Jamaica over christams holiday this year, I havent smoked it yet ...but is it really a fake?

Knowing only that it came from Jamaica, I'd say it's probably fake. There are plenty of legitimate Cohibas, but they're also one of the most commonly counterfeited cigar made. Can you take closeup pictures of the band?