Texas Is Horrible For Hookah Smokers?!

Hey all! 

Just moved to TX a few weeks ago. Loving it so far, except for one thing....

What's up with this absurd tobacco tax on shisha?! House Bill 2154 that taxes you $10.25 per 250 g's purchased (the highest in the country). I came from MD where we didn't have anything remotely that close, so this is quite a shock. 

How long has it been like this? 

Right?? I was not expecting that...

Is there a way to avoid the ridiculously high sales tax? For some reason when I go to order from other vendors, it doesnt put anything close to the tax that H-S puts on when checking out. 

Yeah, I dont know, its just crazy how high it is.

I normally dont purchase from H-S, but considering it was about 20 minutes from where I now live, I figured why not. However, my mind has been quickly changed. lol

Thanks for the input guys

I love my home country (Texas is #1 best country in World) but left just before the tobacco tax became a thing.  I visited Texas Hookah a couple years back and 250g of Nak was $17+ due to the tax.  Freaking ridiculous.  They added a tax in FL but it isn't anywhere as bad.

Doesn't MATTAR know since I get nearly all my nakhy tobaccys from John.

Well, you are seeing 1/3 of how it is here (in Alberta, it's 0.35 per gram, or $87.50 per 250g...and no, that's not a typo). So, I smuggle my tobacco in from across the border and know all the loopholes so that I will never have to pay that tax. Pretty stupid that I have to do that.

Funny how the taxes are. Obviously anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together will order from out of state. Not good for local business; which is something I would expect TX to be sensitive to.

Stock up before the other 49 follow suit.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey grock i remember when you were selling ur pipes for the move man! glad you like it minus the shitty tobacco tax, but hey ur lucky not having it as bad as ty lol. but yah texas what was it like 150%? i dont rember but still just order from outta cali