Tobacco Advice

Hey Folks, 

I am currently in the pre-startup phase of opening a lounge and I plan on offering a selection of 3-4 tobacco options.  Nakhla will be available as house or "well" level hookah tabacco, but I am looking for a midrange and top shelf level. 

With that being said, what are some good midrange/top shelf options to try out?  we have considered the following.

Midrange

Al Fakher - Most lounges use Al Fakher, but it provides us little differentiation and well, our focus groups perfered Nak over Al Fakher.

Thats all we found.

Top Shelf

Tangiers - Unique product offering, if we go with tangiers, most likely going to offer Birquq line as it is easiest to manage.

Starbuzz - Again, many lounges offer this, but we are not a fan, beyond blue mist.

Fumari - Well we like some flavors, and may offer those as options, but not have more than 3-4 options.

Any other suggestions?  Good tobacco and a healthy distribution channel are required.

-b

Why bother with a midrange? I'd just offer Nakhla, then have Starbuzz (for the bros) and Tangiers at a higher premium price point.

Maybe offer another cheaper brand to have at the same price point with Nakhla, such as Desi Murli? I dunno, just an idea, to maybe have some variety. With all the different lines and flavors Nakhla offers, I think you'd be okay with just it.

I've always been of the K.I.S.S. philosophy, but if you have to have 3-4 brands, I'd have Nakhla (and maybe Desi) for the lower, and Tangiers and Starbuzz for the higher.

I'm with you- I don't care for Al Fakher at all, so no way I'd serve it to my customers. If I ran a lounge, I wouldn't be able to push stuff I myself didn't like.

Hope this helps.

Chris said it all. I'd personally do Nakhla, Tangiers, and maybe Starbuzz. I don't like Starbuzz but other non regular hookah smokers would like it. Plus nakhla and Tang are unwashed so you gotta have a washed option for people who don't normally smoke.

I LOVE DM, but I wouldn't have it at a lounge. Maybe keep a little stock of it and let your regulars try it. But it doesn't meet the non smokers needs because it is strong in terms of buzz, and it doesn't meet most non smokers taste buds either. Their fruit flavors aren't sweet, and their really good stuff is sort of an acquired taste if you will.

Keep in mind that nakhla OG and nakhla mizo are very different, both are great tobaccos though, I would consider them to be top shelf as far as quality goes. For a higher price point consider tangiers, then starbuzz cause it's a hit with the "bros" as Chris said. Really if you have staff that know their shit and pack properly and you use natural coals (fully lit etc. all up to par) then you can have a good smoke out of all the brands.

I like romman tobacco, you could offer that as a top shelf, with nak and tang would be enough tho. Just teach your workers to pack em right and proper heat management

I LOVE DM, but I wouldn't have it at a lounge. Maybe keep a little stock of it and let your regulars try it. But it doesn't meet the non smokers needs because it is strong in terms of buzz, and it doesn't meet most non smokers taste buds either. Their fruit flavors aren't sweet, and their really good stuff is sort of an acquired taste if you will.

My thoughts exactly

Hey Everyone,

Thanks so much for the feedback.  I only smoke Nakhla (Mizo and OG line), so it will be at the bar.  Tangiers, I have had some issues with heat management, but i have been impressed overall.  I agree @mattarios2 we need to offer a washed line for non-smokers, that could be Starbuzz, but our bar wont be very Bro-ey and I think we could live without.  The other day, I made my own Nakhla Blue Mist with 1/3 blueberry, 1/3 orange/lemon, 1/3mint and everyone loved it.  I could stick with just Nakhla and Tangiers but I really need a good washed line.  Any ideas?

Many thanks again,

-Bashar

how are you going to open a shop i think ny put a ban on opening all lounges. but also not gonna lie i got some socail smoke samples and i think its 100% better then starbuzz. at my shops i only offer tangiers besides what i have at my new shop i got the inventory from the old owner. but no one smokes it down here. 

but af is always popular to everyone espcailly non smokers like noobs and what not. 

but good luck to you man

Gonna have to ask the same question about even opening the bar in NYC if there is a ban, or if there isn't I'm pretty sure they are pushing a ban so why would you bother? Other than that, Nakhla and Tangiers. That be all.