So I Bought A Smokerlyzer

Impurities, shit that shouldn't be inhaled ... lol I don't know the technicals of WHAT exactly is in the material that is bad to inhale, Eric never specified, he just said that if the ash is orange or gray, or white, or anything like that, there is either additives added to the coal, or already in the "natural" material they use. He said the ash should be black which means no crap is added or in the materials they use from the start.

Ah okay, gotcha... Just trying to find out exactly what it is I'm inhaling. :)

Talk w/ eric if you want the specifics. He did say that Japanese charcoal has 1/12 the sulphur that Coconut coals have. Which is a big reason why coconut coals last so long, the sulphur steals oxygen from the coal making the coal burn slower aka less efficiently which is why the CO is higher in them.

I really think with proper setup I could get 30-35ppm after 60 hits with the Japanese coals, which overall for every test point is a huge difference compared to the coconut coals. Also keep in mind all that for testing purposes every hit is a full hit, as much as I can inhale. I did some other testing I didn't mention on the forum and the deeper you hit it the more co you take in. So if you take 2 small hits that equal out to one big hit, it seems that the big deep deep hit makes you absorb more CO, that is just my opinion based on my experiments. SOOO, if anyone is concerned with CO it seems that lighter less deep hits makes a HUGE difference.

One bowl I setup, I did the same amount of coal, same bowl, same tobacco, everything, but took smaller less deep hits, and after 8 hits my CO only went from 1ppm to 3ppm. So how deep and how long you inhale absolutely plays a role in how much CO you take in most likely because the longer you hit it the more you heat the charcoal from air flow.

I'm not surprised to see the japanese coals registering lower, I definitely notice that they leave me feeling "lighter" than coco's. I have not really noticed a lack of green stuff with my copper stems when using japs, but then again, I wasn't really looking.

I thought of another control to consider, John. Make sure you time when you take your first puff to when you take your last. The per puff measurement is good, but adding in the time control really makes a big difference. Also tracking how many of what type of coals, and at what time/how many puffs you put them on would help as well. It just helps make any data that we do get out of all this much easier to interpret and analyze. 

I completely agree Ty, it is just SUCH A PAIN IN THE ASS lol. I am trying to watch game of thrones, or the bruins playoffs, and it's just like ah fuck what was the last number, or I gotta keep writing it down and what not lol.

For the first few experiments I do have when I took my first and last puff, but I don't have exact numbers on how long I waited in between puffs or between getting the hose back.

Initially I felt that the length of time between hitting it didn't matter, but as mentioned previously with the Japanese results the numbers looked VERY promising but at the end spiked quite a bit only making the final result 11% lower, still good but I want to re-test when I am not huffing the pipe towards the end and see if the trend of roughly 30-35% lower CO readings continues (I assume it will)

I will start doing time of first puff time of last puff, but to time how long I wait to get the hose, every round, and what not ... I don't think 30 seconds here or a minute there makes THAT much of a difference, definitely a difference but we all take 3 hits roughly the same holding time etc every round.

Oh and I completely agree with what you said about feeling "lighter". I was telling my girlfriend last night after we smoked that w/ coconut coals I didn't feel shitty, but I felt a little tired, or a little heavy. My lungs never hurt or were sore but they were like ... exhausted I suppose? But with the Japanese coals I felt like I could smoke all night.

Hahah, no doubt. SCIENCE IS HARD WORK! lol. I don't think we NEED time between puffs, just a start-to-finish time. If other people add their data to the data pool, then it will be good to know puffs as well as smoke time. I'm chain puffer, so 40 puffs for me is probably a lot shorter than someone else. But, as you mentioned, with more frequent puffing, you're getting higher cumulative levels because of a lack of "purging" of your lungs with fresh air. Still, I think it's the overall time and the overall puffs that matters, since most of that is going to average out.

Agreed. I am excited to test again, the last reading is DEFINITELY skewed. I am hoping for a 30% decrease for the final reading. Another thing to note is even if those readings are accurate for the japanese coals, it still takes longer to reach a similar level so you can also say while smoking the levels are lower even if at the end it goes up and comes somewhat close to the coconut coals which once again I think it is skewed and we will find out soon.

With the fumari's I do 4 coals right in the middle of a phunnel then after 15 or so min add 2 more and I get an hour out of that, and that is with 4 people smoking. So you could prob do 4 then 1 if you are smoking alone. That is with a phunnel that holds 32g and with mizo. A phunnel packed with og would probably also need the wind cover.

I would think in a Turkish bowl 3 should be good to start then add 1 more.

As far as cheap Japs... Social Smoke. I am thinking of ordering them again they weren't awful. I used a box to get my lighting of japs down.

http://www.socialsmoke.com/Social-Smoke-Natural-Silver-Charcoal-Full-Box-i

128pc for 3.25

Damn! Now that's a good price... But how are they compared to Canaries/Fumaris? If they're on par or almost as good, I'd have no problem making the switch from cocos.

Social smoke tabs are complete garbage, hence the price.

Canaries are the best but quite expensive. You can easily rip through a dozen of them in a 2 hour session.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I always feel when coals are priced that low how is it possible? Well, usually from using crap. I don't have experience with them but that is my initial though.

As I said I will do my best to price fumaris as low as possible for all of you to enjoy :-)

Also, from what I am told Fumari's are right on par with Golden Canary.

With the fumari's I do 4 coals right in the middle of a phunnel then after 15 or so min add 2 more and I get an hour out of that, and that is with 4 people smoking. So you could prob do 4 then 1 if you are smoking alone. That is with a phunnel that holds 32g and with mizo. A phunnel packed with og would probably also need the wind cover.

I would think in a Turkish bowl 3 should be good to start then add 1 more.

as in 3 little squares than 1 more square? Also, how's the flaking?

Yah like total you will use 1 stick which is 4 pieces.

The fumaris flake off just fine, just blow and 90% comes off right off the bat, a little on them is fine.

They light super fast too, I find on high they can crack. I keep the coil burner on med to med low and they light in a couple minutes, much faster than coconut coals.

From what I have experienced, Fumari and Canaries are exactly the same. Like, identical. They both smoke and behave the same. Ultimate Hookah has the best deal for Canaries that I've seen, assuming you order 15 boxes or so (whatever fits in a large flat rate, can't remember). Fumari, I think you pay a bit of a premium for the name, but like I said, they are basically identical to Canaries from my experience. 

SS Coals aren't Garbage to me. The smell is a bit stronger while lighting Last about 20 minutes. The take longer to light on a lower heat. Like Exoticas, They use to be $13 a box when I bought them. They are much better than silver flint, H-S trash japanese coals.

ugh scratch that they are normally 14.95 each but if you buy more than 5 they are 11.95 each

5Star has them at 11.95.

^ That's the way people are. With a number or rating attached to how bad something is, it makes it seem more dangerous than someone just saying its bad for your health.

Please don't generalize me into a category. Just because you feel fine smoking doesn't mean it isn't harmful. CO is an odorless gas that only has NOTICEABLE effects at very high numbers. That doesn't mean our numbers aren't high from smoking hookah. Let's be realistic here.

Please don't misunderstand me. I was just answering Chreees' question. I don't know you personally, I wouldn't make an opinion of you. I meant to say that that is generally the way people react. I wasn't including anyone in that statement.  Plus, I'm 100% positive that hookah is bad for me. Not because I feel negative effects. I don't ever feel bad from smoking hookah, and I smoke daily. But I know it is bad simply because I am taking smoke into my lungs. 

If you want me to test exoticas then yes, I will need some. I already tested fumari's above, I made some mistakes with them since I had never used them before and I used a windcover which technically increases CO production and they still were a good bit lower in CO than coconut coals. I am going to be selling Fumari's so I will be doing more testing when they come in.

It sounds like there is no point in testing GC's since everyone says they are near identical to Fumari's and Eric approves of both.But if you want me to test the GC's I will need someone to send me some of those as well.

Whatever you want me to test, just send to me and I will do it.