So I Bought A Smokerlyzer

60 hits ... reached 44ppm, 6ppm away from levels of a 3 pack a day smoker.

Fuck these coconut coals man ... that's ridiculous. So tomorrow I should reach the low 20's by early afternoon, then 10-15 by the evening and hopefully normal numbers by 24 hours or so.

I can't imagine vaping has any - why would it, CO is produced by combustion (in our case, the charcoal itself, rather than the tobacco as in a cigar/ette)

I believe vaping is none. If anything you def stay within normal limits according to the web.

Also consider I have used nothing less than a 30 inch pipe w copper downstem, nothing smaller than a 30g phunnel, half coals not wholes, and a 93 inch unwashable hose, all things that eric said has helped as well as online studies and the numbers are STILL that high with not many puffs far less than most hookah smokers, especially for solo smokers.

They are extremely high, that is what is wrong lol.

And they go down but not completely the next day. You still have high amounts of co in you the next day. So if you smoke 3 times a week most likely the three days you smoke they are really high then the days after it 3 more days 1 for each day after you smoke they are still elevated, so 3 days of smoking yields 3 days or nights of high co and 3 days of medium to light co depending on how much you smoked the day before. They don't return to normal for roughly 24-48 hours depending on how much you smoked.

None is what I suspected you would get with vaping, but thought I would ask anyway, since you are heating up a coil to red-hot status and inhaling from it. :) Anyway, I vape throughout the week and smoke hookah from 2-3 times a week, so I feel like I'm moderating myself pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you are comfortable with those type of co levels 6 days a week? Heavy to medium CO levels 5-6 days a week? I will no longer be using coconut coals if the Japanese coals are as low of co as I am told. If they are similar to coconut coals I will probably only smoke once a week. The CO levels I am getting are waaay too high, kind of surprised you don't think they are that high chris. When I blow into the smokerlyzer it starts blinking red, there are 3 lights for 3 different levels, green, yellow, and red. I mean after a small amount of puffs too, only 40 puffs to get into a 2 pack a day smoker ... that is very alarming IMHO because I know most hookah smokers including myself take WAY more hits than 40 in a night.

So you are comfortable with those type of co levels 6 days a week? Heavy to medium CO levels 5-6 days a week? I will no longer be using coconut coals if the Japanese coals are as low of co as I am told. If they are similar to coconut coals I will probably only smoke once a week. The CO levels I am getting are waaay too high, kind of surprised you don't think they are that high chris. When I blow into the smokerlyzer it starts blinking red, there are 3 lights for 3 different levels, green, yellow, and red. I mean after a small amount of puffs too, only 40 puffs to get into a 2 pack a day smoker ... that is very alarming IMHO because I know most hookah smokers including myself take WAY more hits than 40 in a night.

Bingo.

I just think that maybe you're letting the numbers scare you. Question is, how do you feel? I have never felt negative effects from hookah. Is that to say it isn't harmful? No. But I do not believe it is as harmful as cigarettes, which I have definitely seen negatively impact a person's health (my dad, my friends, etc.), not to mention there are concrete facts for how it affects your health.

I appreciate what you're doing here, but exactly how bad is it to intake these levels of CO in one session? How long does it take for your body to filter it out? What are the long term effects from doing this, and how bad is it compared to the same levels of CO from cigarettes?

Long term exposure to CO is very bad for one. One reason I prefer smoking outside is that smoking inside never leaves me feeling 100%, and I'm sure the CO has a lot to do with that. Even regular smoking outside affects me - that's why I don't do it more than once or twice a week, I feel like I need recovery time.

Long term exposure being bad for you makes sense, but how quickly does it filter out of your body?

Again, for how infrequently I smoke hookah, and with how many folks I've heard complain about the negative effects from using coconut coals (none), I am still not very concerned.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, why are we making a fuss all of sudden just because we now have a number on the level of CO?

^ That's the way people are. With a number or rating attached to how bad something is, it makes it seem more dangerous than someone just saying its bad for your health.

Long term exposure being bad for you makes sense, but how quickly does it filter out of your body?

Again, for how infrequently I smoke hookah, and with how many folks I've heard complain about the negative effects from using coconut coals (none), I am still not very concerned.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, why are we making a fuss all of sudden just because we now have a number on the level of CO?

Without rereading everything it sounds like it takes 2-3 days for it to completely clear out, so if you smoke 3x a week, pretty much at no period do you have a zero or low single digit measure.

^ That's the way people are. With a number or rating attached to how bad something is, it makes it seem more dangerous than someone just saying its bad for your health.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm trying to say. Thanks.

Without rereading everything it sounds like it takes 2-3 days for it to completely clear out, so if you smoke 3x a week, pretty much at no period do you have a zero or low single digit measure.

Ahh. So I guess I'm toting around a lot of CO on the weekends then and it isn't until middle of the week or so until it's out of my system. Then it's back again Friday night. :lol:

I smoke for a couple hours every day. I don't get headaches, nausea, dizziness, shortness of breathe, etc, which are all things I associate with high CO for one reason or another. Being that you are getting such high numbers, I just want to make sure what your process is for the actual testing, and if that is how we should be testing it. What I mean is, I have a breathalyzer that requires you exhale in a slow, controlled and open-mouthed manner; if you actually blow into it, like with your lips pursed together, it will register an incorrect amount. Devices that deal with air and PPM measurements are extremely finnicky, and I just want to make sure that your numbers are correctly registered numbers. Describe the actual process itself of using the device.

Aside from that, can't say that it really matters to me. If the results of this help all of us minimize CO intake without sacrificing something we love doing, fantastic. But, on the flip side, if this just basically shows "hey, that's how it is", I can't say I'll change anything. I've been smoking daily for a couple hours a day since like 2005, and aside from my back issues, I'm probably in the best shape of my life. While I don't think "i'm doing something right", as breathing in anything that isn't fresh air is "bad" for you in one way or another, I certainly feel I'm not doing anything overly wrong if I can hop on my bike and do 14k without a problem, every day.

Anyways, thanks for jumping on this John, I look forward to seeing more results. Also, I recommend you set up a google docs spreadsheet to log these things, and we can edit that into your first post. It will just make it easier to keep track of the data. The more info you have on one page, the easier it is to review that data and interpret what it actually means.

• Upvote 1

Ok so here is run down #1

Bowl 1 was a smedium phunnel with 32g of tobacco and 5 half coals coco ultimate, had one window open, in my basement, about 800sq ft basement.

Bowl 2 was a slightly larger bowl than a mini and we only did one round because I was like fuck these numbers man ... I was pissed.

Smoked with 5 other people.

My starting CO was 2ppm before we smoked

After 3 hits = 7ppm

After 15 hits = 17ppm

After 27 hits = 23ppm

After 40 hits =31ppm

We used a km halzone with copper downstem and 12 inch bohemian vase with an elmas unwashable hose.

SHIT!

Check this site out for reference of different levels:

http://www.coheadquarters.com/ZerotoMillion1.htm

One plus we can take though is the following from the above link:

"25 ppm - 150 ppm - ETCOb of smokers immediately after smoking."

So cigarette smokers ppm is anywhere from 25-150 immediately after smoking.

Mine reached 31 after 40 hits over a 2 hour period.

So for those that smoke alone and smoke for 3-4 hours at a time, if you care about your health, be careful because after only 40 hits in a little over 2 hours I was already at 31ppm.

My brothers girlfriend smoked a cigarette when she was out the other night and when she got back (had been 1 hour since she smoked the cig) her levels were 11ppm. So in terms of CO if you divide 40 hits by 31ppm that is roughly an increase of 1.3ppm per hit ... obviously it would go down the more you smoke or at least not rise as quickly as in the beginning.

I am not cool with these numbers ... when you are using a smoking tester device and the red light starts blinking at you ... ya know that's not a good thing ... :-/

JAPANESE COALS HERE I COME.

I love data. But it is worth nothing if not framed appropriately. I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to do this.

Since this is taking the readings from the breath how long after the listed puff are you breathing into the tester. Are there a few cleansing breaths to clear your lungs of the free vapor to see how much CO diffuses back into the fresh air you breathe? How long do you hold the fresh breath before exhaling into the tester?

I just think that maybe you're letting the numbers scare you. Question is, how do you feel? I have never felt negative effects from hookah. Is that to say it isn't harmful? No. But I do not believe it is as harmful as cigarettes, which I have definitely seen negatively impact a person's health (my dad, my friends, etc.), not to mention there are concrete facts for how it affects your health.

I appreciate what you're doing here, but exactly how bad is it to intake these levels of CO in one session? How long does it take for your body to filter it out? What are the long term effects from doing this, and how bad is it compared to the same levels of CO from cigarettes?

Lol scare me? DUUUUDE long term CO is a huge deal. You feel fine because umm ... we are young. Just because you don't get a headache from co which needs to be extremely high doesn't mean 50ppm is low man. Intake of co causes cardiovascular disease, weakened heart because it has to work harder to move oxygen to your vital organs, and it causes stickyness in your platelets which increases chances of hardening and blockage.

Re read my posts above and you will see how long it takes to filter out. I have also posted data on the typical readings from cigarette smokers multiple times in this thread.

Please don't generalize me into a category. Just because you feel fine smoking doesn't mean it isn't harmful. CO is an odorless gas that only has NOTICEABLE effects at very high numbers. That doesn't mean our numbers aren't high from smoking hookah. Let's be realistic here.

Ok so here is run down #1

Bowl 1 was a smedium phunnel with 32g of tobacco and 5 half coals coco ultimate, had one window open, in my basement, about 800sq ft basement.

Bowl 2 was a slightly larger bowl than a mini and we only did one round because I was like fuck these numbers man ... I was pissed.

Smoked with 5 other people.

My starting CO was 2ppm before we smoked

After 3 hits = 7ppm

After 15 hits = 17ppm

After 27 hits = 23ppm

After 40 hits =31ppm

We used a km halzone with copper downstem and 12 inch bohemian vase with an elmas unwashable hose.

SHIT!

Check this site out for reference of different levels:

http://www.coheadquarters.com/ZerotoMillion1.htm

One plus we can take though is the following from the above link:

"25 ppm - 150 ppm - ETCOb of smokers immediately after smoking."

So cigarette smokers ppm is anywhere from 25-150 immediately after smoking.

Mine reached 31 after 40 hits over a 2 hour period.

So for those that smoke alone and smoke for 3-4 hours at a time, if you care about your health, be careful because after only 40 hits in a little over 2 hours I was already at 31ppm.

My brothers girlfriend smoked a cigarette when she was out the other night and when she got back (had been 1 hour since she smoked the cig) her levels were 11ppm. So in terms of CO if you divide 40 hits by 31ppm that is roughly an increase of 1.3ppm per hit ... obviously it would go down the more you smoke or at least not rise as quickly as in the beginning.

I am not cool with these numbers ... when you are using a smoking tester device and the red light starts blinking at you ... ya know that's not a good thing ... :-/

JAPANESE COALS HERE I COME.

I love data. But it is worth nothing if not framed appropriately. I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to do this.

Since this is taking the readings from the breath how long after the listed puff are you breathing into the tester. Are there a few cleansing breaths to clear your lungs of the free vapor to see how much CO diffuses back into the fresh air you breathe? How long do you hold the fresh breath before exhaling into the tester?

I breath until the reading stops. I follow the instructions to the T, if it keeps going up and I am out breath I do the entire process again until the reader stops counting up it doesn't keep adding on top of eachother if you keep breathing into it, it continues to read the breath to see if it has a higher concentration than what it has already registered. I even called Bedfont and spoke to them over the phone. It is a very simple process and they confirmed what I am doing works perfectly fine. It won't be scientific status and perfect but it is close enough to know that these numbers are very high.

Instructions state to turn the device on wait for it to calibrate, I find when I go outside it calibrates faster, once it calibrates hit the zero button, it will then count down for 15 seconds. You have to hold your breath for 15 seconds until the smokerlyzer says go, then you slowly and evenly breath into the T fitting attached to the breathalyzer ... it is very simple I have also timed my breaks in between puffing and how long I wait to get the hose back, and in my findings ... it doesn't really matter because whether you wait a minute or 3 minutes it takes hours to even start seeing your co levels go down, so a minute or two minutes makes no difference, the number just keeps rising until you have STOPPED smoking for an extended period of time.

When I say ... 40 puffs from a hookah with coconut coals is roughly 2-3 packs of cigarettes worth of CO, you still feel that is oh no big deal because you feel fine? If that is the case, you are entitled to your opinion (you meaning anyone reading or posting in this thread) but please don't post in this thread anymore if you feel that way.

To say oh I have been smoking for this long and I feel fine so the numbers don't alarm me is juvenile. Read up on what low to medium levels of CO exposure over LONG periods of time can and DO do to your body if anyone hasn't already.

I smoke for a couple hours every day. I don't get headaches, nausea, dizziness, shortness of breathe, etc, which are all things I associate with high CO for one reason or another. Being that you are getting such high numbers, I just want to make sure what your process is for the actual testing, and if that is how we should be testing it. What I mean is, I have a breathalyzer that requires you exhale in a slow, controlled and open-mouthed manner; if you actually blow into it, like with your lips pursed together, it will register an incorrect amount. Devices that deal with air and PPM measurements are extremely finnicky, and I just want to make sure that your numbers are correctly registered numbers. Describe the actual process itself of using the device.

Aside from that, can't say that it really matters to me. If the results of this help all of us minimize CO intake without sacrificing something we love doing, fantastic. But, on the flip side, if this just basically shows "hey, that's how it is", I can't say I'll change anything. I've been smoking daily for a couple hours a day since like 2005, and aside from my back issues, I'm probably in the best shape of my life. While I don't think "i'm doing something right", as breathing in anything that isn't fresh air is "bad" for you in one way or another, I certainly feel I'm not doing anything overly wrong if I can hop on my bike and do 14k without a problem, every day.

Anyways, thanks for jumping on this John, I look forward to seeing more results. Also, I recommend you set up a google docs spreadsheet to log these things, and we can edit that into your first post. It will just make it easier to keep track of the data. The more info you have on one page, the easier it is to review that data and interpret what it actually means.

And I am not trying to force anyone to change the way they smoke or anything. I know you guys do appreciate what I am doing but and I experience the same ty, I go run 3 miles with no issues even right after a hookah. But to not consider hey maybe CO doesn't effect my running or the kind of shape I am in, but when CO enters my body and decreases my oxygen in my blood could it effect other things over a long period of time? I don't think it is unreasonable to question.

Yeah I will set something up once I get more data, right now I have it on a piece of paper and once I do a few more rounds of tests I will make something up. Just got a few sticks of fumaris, will be testing them tonight.

Instructions state to turn the device on wait for it to calibrate, I find when I go outside it calibrates faster, once it calibrates hit the zero button, it will then count down for 15 seconds. You have to hold your breath for 15 seconds until the smokerlyzer says go, then you slowly and evenly breath into the T fitting attached to the breathalyzer ... it is very simple I have also timed my breaks in between puffing and how long I wait to get the hose back, and in my findings ... it doesn't really matter because whether you wait a minute or 3 minutes it takes hours to even start seeing your co levels go down, so a minute or two minutes makes no difference, the number just keeps rising until you have STOPPED smoking for an extended period of time.

Thank you for elaborating on the test procedures. It seems that there is some control to stabilize the absorption from the lungs to the air.....This is a bit alarming. Time to get into the E coal business.

Thank you for elaborating on the test procedures. It seems that there is some control to stabilize the absorption from the lungs to the air.....This is a bit alarming. Time to get into the E coal business.

I know right, they already have them but as we all know they suck, they need to do what they already do but either have a button you press for it to turn the heat up on pulls or some sort of air sensor to bring the heat up when it recognizes air flow.

I used to talk to Eric all the time and he said the big concern with hookah is the CO levels, what I am finding isn't new news, it is just a little more convincing I would say since I am using a setup we use and we know it is setup properly by someone who knows how to pack and manage a bowl.

We will see what the japanese style coals bring us tonight!

I am interested to see how the numbers using jap coals compare.

If they are still pretty high, who here will be quitting hookah?

If I can't use coconut or japanese coals to produce low enough CO numbers, then I will be selling off all my hookahs goods. Start PMing offers, folks.

:P

Disclaimer: First question is serious. Second question is me being silly, as the emoticon indicates.

I am interested to see how the numbers using jap coals compare.

If they are still pretty high, who here will be quitting hookah?

If I can't use coconut or japanese coals to produce low enough CO numbers, then I will be selling off all my hookahs goods. Start PMing offers, folks.

:P

Disclaimer: First question is serious. Second question is me being silly, as the emoticon indicates.

I won't quit, I just won't smoke as often and snus more.

Cordless would be tough because of the amount of power that needs to be drawn when inhaling.

I am fine with a corded one, just need one that can have a setting for heat when not drawing, and a setting for when drawing.