So, I bought a hookah from a lounge in Jacksonville - Sahara. I'm trying to buy a vortex bowl, a new hose, and a replacement valve for a valve that's been stripped on my hookah. I'm a bit hesitant about buying offline and I feel stupid asking these questions - but I figured this was a good place to ask questions. Should I be worried about my hose and bowl not fitting? I've read about wet paper towels and stuff. I don't know. I need help. 

The hose and bowl should fit.  There are a few combinations that won't work, but for the most part it should be fine.  We would have to know the specifics of the pipe and hose to really say one way or the other.  The bowl should fit with what's called a modern gasket.  You will more likely see it listed as a mod grommet.

In my opinion, there are better bowls than the vortex, although the vortex does work. Wet paper towels will work, but I prefer to just use the right size gasket where needed.  It would probably be in your best interest to order an assortment of different gaskets so you can always get a good seal.

Agreed, if we can get some specifics of the pipe, or some pictures, we should be able to help you out much better. That being said, there are very few hoses which are not friendly with lots of pipes (the KM Beast, for example, has a much larger hose end, so it can be tricky to fit into some pipes), and I've never encountered a bowl that didn't fit on my pipe with a regular grommet. I personally prefer the clear silicone grommets, as I find they are more flexible (softer) and give a better seal. 

Seconded on the Vortex as well; it will work, but there are better bowls out there (HJ Harmony, BR Godfather, Tangiers Phunnel, Crown Micro, etc).

Yea The vortex isnt a very good bowl There are so many better options like the Tangiers Small Phunnel, The Harmony Bowl. and the Alien bowls, the predator bowls and many more. If you don't have any grammets you can use wet paper towels liek skoozle said but you can buy anything online make sure to buy from a reputable vendor like www.5starhookah.com , www.ultimatehookah.com, www.hookah-shisha.com etc. SocialSmoke.com grommets are pretty cheap. now for a hose I'd recommend the Social SMoke Professional Lounge Hose or SSPL. sucks that your hookah came stripped. I hope it was at least cheap. WHen i sell hookahs i sell em loaded and im not the only one that does so! 

well you have options. The problem is all the best bowls tend to be costly. Still they are worth it. a harmony for 20 or a tangiers phunnel for 25 are buiilt very well and will smoke a million times better than a standard clay Egyptian. also they are sturdier and harder to ship. the best part is your sessiosn with them are a lot longer. and they never get to hot on the bottom so its easier to take them off while smoking 

Having a good bowl can make all the difference between an alright session and a GREAT session even with the most shitty pipes. I thought I could save the money and skimp out but they are definitely worth the cash.

Discount egyptian bowls work really well too and can be hand for a couple bucks. As far as flavors, that is opening a can of worms. If you want more nicotine I would suggest a few Nakhla flavors, less nicotine: Al Fakher or Tangiers lucid. 

Also - trying to try some new flavors of shisha. I'm more of a fruity person. Any suggestions?

What kind of fruit? Citrus? Berry? Tropical? Weird? Sweet Candy like?

Some of my Favorite fruit flavors are:

Nakhla- Mizo Blueberry, Lychee, Orange Peach, Ice Apple

Tangiers- Orange Soda, Mimon, Now with Melon, Cactus Fruit

looks like you should get mya grommets sorry that pipe didnt come with much how much did you pay for that Chinese pipe anyways? I hope it wasn't over 40$ The guy should have at least thrown some grommets your way. If i were you i wouldn't buy shisha from that guy you can get amazing stuff on the Internets! 

Ok since were on this subject, here's my story. Shortly after I bought my km, the grommet that came with it busted. I have been using electrical tape on the stem to seal it. Now I work in a copper tube mill, so I found one of the rubber plugs that go into the ends of the pipe. I have.cut the bottom off and now have to work the inside to fit and the outside to fit in the base. Here are some pics.

Ok since were on this subject, here's my story. Shortly after I bought my km, the grommet that came with it busted. I have been using electrical tape on the stem to seal it. Now I work in a copper tube mill, so I found one of the rubber plugs that go into the ends of the pipe. I have.cut the bottom off and now have to work the inside to fit and the outside to fit in the base. Here are some pics.

That's awesome!! That looks perfect for most Egyptian pipes and probably work for a lot of syrians too

• 2 weeks later...
Grommet- an eyelet placed in a hole in a sheet or panel to protect or insulate a
rope or cable passed through it or to prevent the sheet or panel from
being torn.

Gasket- a shaped piece or ring of rubber or other material sealing the junction between two surfaces in an engine or other device.

definitely Gasket.. grommets don't seal anything