Haven't Had Tangiers In Years

The way I look at it, if you poke holes all the way down to the bottom, you're adding little pockets for the heat to get to the bottom and to allow the bottom smoke to pull up and through the spire. However this kind of confuses me when you bring into consideration vacuum, etc. which has always bothered me about phunnel bowls. when you draw, air comes from outside of the bowl, through the foil and down the spire, I don't see how it would flow through to the bottom of the bowl in any sense at all. Perhaps it creates a vacuum and that draws air from the bottom, but how does that air get there then? It'd be neat to see it in action in a wind tunnel of sorts.. to see what REALLY happens..

my thoughts?
Smoke the damn thing!!! If you're happy with your results (I.e. Good flavor/smoke/duration) then remember how you did, pat yourself on the back, and do it again. There shouldn't be a right or wrong necessarily......as long as you are happy wiff your smoke than congrats!

[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1357796534' post='568050']
The way I look at it, if you poke holes all the way down to the bottom, you're adding little pockets for the heat to get to the bottom and to allow the bottom smoke to pull up and through the spire. However this kind of confuses me when you bring into consideration vacuum, etc. which has always bothered me about phunnel bowls. when you draw, air comes from outside of the bowl, through the foil and down the spire, I don't see how it would flow through to the bottom of the bowl in any sense at all. Perhaps it creates a vacuum and that draws air from the bottom, but how does that air get there then? It'd be neat to see it in action in a wind tunnel of sorts.. to see what REALLY happens..
[/quote]

Yeah, the physics of a phunnel bowl don't really add up, UNLESS you're talking about an Alien. Now, I don't smoke out of my Aliens that often and I'm not sure why. Force of habit, I guess. Honestly, the best design for a bowl, IMO, would have to be the Crown Classic. But even there, results would depend heavily on coal placement. Still, Phunnels, while not perfect in design, seem to be the best way to go at this point. Damn... Someone needs to design a new bowl. :P

[quote name='Fouda1122gbf' timestamp='1357796656' post='568052']
my thoughts?
Smoke the damn thing!!! If you're happy with your results (I.e. Good flavor/smoke/duration) then remember how you did, pat yourself on the back, and do it again. There shouldn't be a right or wrong necessarily......as long as you are happy wiff your smoke than congrats!
[/quote]

You've got a point. As long as the smoke's good, what else matters? Nah, lots of other things matter. The second we become content, the train of progress stops. Whatever it is, it can ALWAYS be better. :)
  • Upvote 1

I do agree, ih303, The phunnel doesn't make much sense at all, but it works.. I've never smoked out of an alien but a few times and I wasn't displeased with the performance and they do seem to "waste" much less tobacco.. Although I did a side by side comparison of my #7 TG bowl and an alien, and they used almost exactly the same amount of tobacco, and the tangiers bowl lasted longer than the alien, and still had unburned tobacco underneath, so IDK..

[quote name='ih303' timestamp='1357798628' post='568061']
[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1357796534' post='568050']
[/quote]

Yeah, the physics of a phunnel bowl don't really add up, UNLESS you're talking about an Alien. Now, I don't smoke out of my Aliens that often and I'm not sure why. Force of habit, I guess. Honestly, the best design for a bowl, IMO, would have to be the Crown Classic. But even there, results would depend heavily on coal placement. Still, Phunnels, while not perfect in design, seem to be the best way to go at this point. Damn... Someone needs to design a new bowl. :P

[/quote]

Ahhh the physics of a phunnel bowl. I could go on for hours... literally.

But I will try to keep it relatively short.

First, if you smoke a bowl "perfectly", there will be fluid at the bottom of the bowl. The top of the bowl will not be "charred" but it may appear dry. This all has to do with vaporization (as opposed to combustion which would cause charring harshness). Vaporization is a phase transition in while particles are released as a gas/vapor. When we are vaporizing Tangiers we are releasing particles in flavour, nicotine, water, and sweetness. All of these substances vaporize at a different temperature. The idea is to find way to manage heat in which the particles in each substance can vaporize together.

If the tobacco is not acclimated, that means that the substances haven't formed strong bonds with each other (in this case it is usually because moisture in the air has weakened the water soluble mixture). It the bonds aren't strong the substances will not "hold" each other as they are vaporizing.

As we vaporize, certain particles become active and travel through the pipe. Particles that are not able to be vaporized under the heat condition that you have created are left in the bowl and settle to the bottom. So, the wet stuff at the bottom of the bowl is really just some spent fluid with no real use. If you were to somehow save this stuff and tried to smoke it it would be virtually flavourless and not nearly enough nicotine to create a slight buzz.

As far as the construction of the Tangiers bowls, the dimensions of the bowls have been thought out in order to provide the best opportunity to vaporize Tangiers tobacco effectively to achieve the best results. The way in which the fluid settles in the bowl, the proportions, the materials used, etc have everything to do with how the tobacco is vaporized. This is one of the reasons why there are varying results when packing different bowls. In each bowl, we are trying to match a packing technique that allows for complete and balanced vaporization.

If you would like more information I can go on and on... I have talked about the physics of Crown bowls with my friend Mr. Santino himself but I will let my him comment on his bowls if he cares too.

Alien sucks because it ignores the science of proper depth/width ratio for optimum smoking performance and duration. You'll notice that Santino's Crown glass bowls have dimensions more in line with the Tangiers phunnels... Why they work properly as well.

[img]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8gnmnibfn1qjexyc.gif[/img]
  • Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

I push my foil down on the tobacco somewhat, so it almost always has tobacco stuck to it. When I smoke it's usually no less than three rounds of coals. Just a thin layer of tobacco sticks though, not like pulling the entire bowls worth out with it. 

Don't over think it.

I try not to. I can get really good smoke but flavor isn't there often times. The really strong flavors are fine, lighter ones are just tobacco taste. I am making sure not to overheat. I think my density might be a bit off. Who knows

I remember back in the day you and I were always the people that had issues with tangiers. I placed my order today, and hope I too get it right finally.  B)

yeah, I decided to give it another go the beginning of this year and back at it again now.

I think I am just finding that for me at least, either the flavors are superb, or just meh. I haven't found any in between.

i always have tobacco stuck, wether its just a couple pieces of a good chunk, one time i had the entine bowl, my old school small stuck to the foil it looked like a hockey puck lol. 

but like jess said dont over think it.

I think my issue back in the day with tangiers was that I got no flavor/flavor for 5 min and got a full tabaco taste. Don't know what the issue was, I know I had acclimated it correctly. Did you have this issue ever?

I think my issue back in the day with tangiers was that I got no flavor/flavor for 5 min and got a full tabaco taste. Don't know what the issue was, I know I had acclimated it correctly. Did you have this issue ever?

I think I am figuring out 2 things.

1.) Yes Tangiers is good, a good amount are excellent, but some flavors just suck and have a quite a bit of tobacco taste with SOME background flavor.

2.) You can overheat the bowl, and not get a tickle, or harshness. Mainly because you over packed the bowl, or just packed the bowl too tight.

So what I think I am finding is with the more light flavors, if it is packed too tightly, you are going to get very little flavor, but you can get away with a tight pack on stronger flavors like melon blend, k peach, etc but the duration of the flavor won't last as long if over packed.

I believe I have the right amount of tobacco in the bowl almost every time, just can't quite get a feel for the right density. I tried pressing down on the tobacco until right before the juices separate from the tobacco and flow over the fork and had it right below the edge of the bowl and smidge below the spire, like coyote mentioned but when I do that it absolutely seems to be over packed/packed too densely. I am going to do the same tonight but not emphasizing pressing down so hard and see how that goes.

By the way, I can get a good bowl just about every time in my small (40g bowl) I am just trying to really get it right in my mini (25g) bowl. Because Tangiers lasts so long a 25g bowl will last plenty long for how long I like to smoke.

It is insane how much more trouble I have with the mini vs a small.