Home Euthanasia

Sapphire

Ok, so I came across this wierd site by accident and started reading it.
I honestly can't decide if I am totaly creeped out by it....or if it is interesting and usefull.
The writer is what bothers me most I think. They show MUCH care for how the creature feels during the process and makes it sound as humane as possible..but still..
It would be wierd to kill your own pet. No matter how " NICE " the writer makes it sound... it STILL BOTHERS ME. lol.

Read and tell me your thoughts :

[url="http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/"]http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/[/url]

When reading this :

[color="#8b0000"]"Add familiar litter (for rodents), a special toy, or whatever might comfort your pet. Making a little nest and covering it with a cloth, or wadded or shredded paper, may help calm and comfort your pet as much as possible. Covering also prevents wandering about during the final minute. If the animal were free to walk about it would begin to stagger and act drunk or confused before loss of consciousness. This is not something you want to see--not how your pet would want you to remember them, so limit your pet's ability to move about. It may even be possible to get your pet to fall asleep."
[/color]

I have the wiredest mixed feelings! Like ..... its sooooo NICE.... but yet... you are still KILLING....your pet!!!!

I mean, I get it if they are seriously sick, injured , or dying.... and you don't want to pay 200.00 for the vet to put your hampster down or something... but still.

While I've only had to do it to fish, I've been through it, and it sucked. I never want to do it again. Even though it was just a fish, it was the fact its something you took care of and loved, and spent time growing a bond with. Watching that fish go belly up... not something I ever want to do again. I couldn't imagine doing it to something like a dog or pet that you could actually, you know, pet.

[quote name='EvansLight' timestamp='1283540840' post='481154']
While I've only had to do it to fish, I've been through it, and it sucked. I never want to do it again. Even though it was just a fish, it was the fact its something you took care of and loved, and spent time growing a bond with. Watching that fish go belly up... not something I ever want to do again. I couldn't imagine doing it to something like a dog or pet that you could actually, you know, pet.
[/quote]

I accidentally did this to my fish when not leaving enough room for oxygen in his small container with a lid when i did a water change. it sucked.

I don't think I could do something like that. I'd rather take my puppy to the vet.

Well THIS one is not for dogs or cats.

It says :
"The AVMA approves the use of CO[sub][size="2"]2[/size][/sub] for euthanasia in most small animals including amphibians, birds, reptiles, rodents, and other small mammals weighing less than two pounds "

This is only for things like hamptsters n stuff. My little sister had to put her hampster to sleep because it started growing a tumor on its head. The vet charged her 180.00! FOR A HAMPSTER! To cover the cost of the meds, the visit, handeling, and disposal of the body.

So I can understand why people are using this for SMALL animals. It's just interesting that the AVMA has this approved method and are teaching people how to do it
" The right way"

• 3 weeks later...
I think it's a novel and heartwarming but there is one thing-- you are probably not a professional. What if it went badly one way or another?

I paid a vet to put my cat down and he died in my lap with me petting him so I could probly see myself opting to do it myself but I'd be so scared I'd screw up somehow and then I'd have to live with that memory.

[quote name='Sapphire' timestamp='1284141150' post='481824']
Well THIS one is not for dogs or cats.

It says :
"The AVMA approves the use of CO[sub][size="2"]2[/size][/sub] for euthanasia in most small animals including amphibians, birds, reptiles, rodents, and other small mammals weighing less than two pounds "

This is only for things like hamptsters n stuff. My little sister had to put her hampster to sleep because it started growing a tumor on its head. The vet charged her 180.00! FOR A HAMPSTER! To cover the cost of the meds, the visit, handeling, and disposal of the body.

So I can understand why people are using this for SMALL animals. It's just interesting that the AVMA has this approved method and are teaching people how to do it
" The right way"
[/quote]

Using CO2 for euthanasia is a bad idea. The pain of suffocation comes from not a lack of oxygen, but an excess of CO2. In a way, you're literally scaring your pet to death. A much more appropriate gas is nitrogen. See the wikipedia article on [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_asphyxiation"]nitrogen asphyxiation.[/url] It takes practice to recognize the signs of nitrogen hypoxia. No warning. No pain.

And to segue to another Serious Discussion, the effects of nitrogen asphyxiation make it an ideal means of execution. Inhaled cyanide poisoning is painful. Some say hanging is too. Lethal injection has problems with the runup and doctors don't like administering it because of the Oath of Hippocrates. Execution by gunshot can be panicking and painful too. If anyone objects to capital punishment for those reasons, the reason for objection evaporates if the gas chamber uses nitrogen.